monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:30 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
I don’t think they can hopscotch over Pence.

If you look at the history of impeachment attempts, this one will die a very rapid death, before even getting off the ground.

This is the most hilarious statement I have seen on these threads as tRump has already confessed. I bet tRump is already negotiating for his stepping down from office such as Nixon did with Ford.... maybe you can free Zoltar?
Builder

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:52 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
I bet tRump is already negotiating for his stepping down from office such as Nixon did with Ford

He is/was a bit confronted by the work load, but I highly doubt that his ego would allow an easy exit.

Time will tell, Billy boy. Let's wait and see, shall we?
oralloy

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 12:01 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
"They" don't get to select - anyone/everyone would have to be primaried; voters rule.

The election has already happened. The voters elected Pence as VP in 2016.

But your notion that the voters have to elect a presidential successor is incorrect. There are plenty of cabinet secretaries in the line of succession.

Not that anyone has to worry about it. The Senate is not interested in helping Democrats lynch a Republican president over nonexistent crimes.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 12:55 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
There are plenty of cabinet secretaries in the line of succession.
But only after the VP, the speaker of the House of Representatives and the president pro tempore of the Senate.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:46 am
@oralloy,
Goes to show you how little you know about the Constitution. After Pence, well - then comes The Speaker of the House, Ms Pelosi......
oralloy

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:55 am
@BillW,
You cannot point out any errors that I have made about the Constitution, or about anything else.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 01:57 am
@BillW,
Just did, besides, you are a gross error to humanity!
oralloy

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 02:02 am
@BillW,
No you didn't. There were no errors in my post.
blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 04:36 am
@BillW,
Gotcha. As to Colin Powell, I'm not sure he's still registered as a Republican. I really doubt he'd now want to be associated with what that party has become.
izzythepush

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:00 am
Quote:
Houthi rebels in Yemen say they have captured a large number of Saudi troops after a major attack near the border between the two countries.

A Houthi spokesman told the BBC that three Saudi brigades had surrendered near the Saudi town of Najran.

He said thousands of soldiers had been captured and many others killed. Saudi officials have not confirmed the claim.

The operation was the largest of its kind since the conflict began, the spokesman said.

Colonel Yahiya Sarea said Saudi forces had suffered "huge losses in life and machinery".

All those captured would be paraded on the Houthi-run Al Masirah TV network on Sunday, he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49866677
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:16 am
@blatham,
He's freakin' 82 years old anyway.
blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:24 am
@hightor,
That made me laugh. It's an error members of our generations often make, including myself. If I had need of a private investigator, my first thought would be Jim Rockford.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:39 am
And from our Voices From The Right series - Ross Douthat
Quote:
Last Exit From Trumpland

Ask an intelligent Republican staffer what they imagine awaits their party after Donald Trump, and you’ll get an interesting disquisition on the factions and figures that might shape conservatism, the political and policy arguments to come.

Ask that same staffer what happens if Trump is re-elected, and you’ll get a heavy sigh, a thousand-yard stare and then a hopeful “Well, maybe we can just pretend he isn’t there …?”

This is the state of Republican politics with impeachment suddenly looming. People are ready for the after, the reckoning to come, the attempted restorations and Trumpisms-without-Trump, the great Nikki Haley-Tucker Carlson brawl.

But if Trump survives impeachment and somehow gets re-elected, there will be no after Trump, not yet and not for four long years. Instead Trump will bestride his party like a decaying colossus, and his administration’s accelerative deterioration will be the G.O.P.’s as well. There will be no second-term policymaking, no John Kelly to stabilize the ship — just a floating hulk drifting between the icebergs of recession and foreign crisis, with all American conservatism onboard.

Outside the ranks of the truest Trump believers, most Republicans anticipate very bad things in 2022 and 2024 if the Trump Show continues uninterrupted...
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:42 am
Who'd have guessed this?

Kremlin Says It Hopes Putin’s Calls With Trump Won’t Be Made Public
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 07:02 am
New Yorker podcast with Jeffrey Toobin, Jane Mayer and David Rohde
Quote:
Trump’s Enablers: How Giuliani, Pence, and Barr Figure Into the Ukraine Scandal
It's here - 34 minutes
0 Replies

snood

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 08:52 am
You know, it may not be fair, but I think this new email investigation could hurt Hillary Clinton’s chances, should the Dems give her the nomination.
Wait...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/28/politics/email-probe-state-department-hillary-clinton/index.html
snood

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 09:18 am
Ooh! Whistleblower to testify...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/whistleblower-is-expected-to-testify-soon-house-intelligence-committee-chairman-says-11569768797
BillW

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 09:34 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Gotcha. As to Colin Powell, I'm not sure he's still registered as a Republican. I really doubt he'd now want to be associated with what that party has become.

Agreed, he just happens to be about the only person in the USA today that I believe would make a great President. He always flows to the top of my list.
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 09:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

He's freakin' 82 years old anyway.

Damon, that never occurred to me! I'm just getting to-to old <SIGH>
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 29 Sep, 2019 09:57 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

You know, it may not be fair, but I think this new email investigation could hurt Hillary Clinton’s chances, should the Dems give her the nomination.
Wait...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/28/politics/email-probe-state-department-hillary-clinton/index.html

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190928114003-01-opinion-weekly-column-0928-exlarge-169.jpg

HUBRIS
0 Replies