monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:46 am
More on what is happening at Fox News from Gabe Sherman (who knows his way around this world)
Quote:
“IT’S MANAGEMENT BEDLAM”: MADNESS AT FOX NEWS AS TRUMP FACES IMPEACHMENT

A Trump identity crisis at Fox as Hannity frets, Lachlan Murdoch prepares for a post-Trump future, Paul Ryan whispers in Rupert’s ear, and Shep Smith and Tucker Carlson trade blows.
Vanity Fair
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:55 am
@blatham,
I gave you four more to choose from—all saying the same thing.
We have righties on the right, hating anything that attempts to discredit trump—progressives on the left, serious about prosecution of ALL corruption, not just Trump—and you guys in the middle, reflexively trying to throw a bedsheet over D corruption while drawing a little X marks the spot where to dig for trump’s corruption.

It’s too Keystone Cops to take seriously.

The Biden story is in The Hill, The Atlantic, Truthdig, and the Times, if I remember correctly.

But, yeah. Draw that little X on the FreeBeacon.

Do you dispute the story?
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:56 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Actually, Obama’s vetting of Biden started with an inquiry into dirty Hunter, but Biden yelled him off of it, and Obama was beaten back.
Most ironic use of the preface "actually" I've ever seen.

Another $.87 argument.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:56 am
More at link including pictures of the puppets.

Quote:
Satirical puppet show Spitting Image hopes to return to the small screen, 23 years after it last aired.

New episodes of the comedy, described as "public service satire" by co-creator Roger Law, will take on Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, among others.

"It's pretty chaotic out there. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than shouting at the television set," he told the Guardian.

A pilot for the resurrected show has already been filmed, Mr Law added.

The pilot will also feature the Duchess of Sussex wearing a glittery top with the word "Princess" printed on the front.

Unlike its 1980s heyday, Mr Law said the new series would not focus on the lower ranks of British politics, explaining: "It's an awful lot of trouble to go to, and you want it to be effective."

He told the paper the show's producers are in talks with US-based networks about bringing the show to a wider global audience.

The caricaturist first told BBC Two's Front Row on Friday that he planned to bring the show back.

Mr Law told the cultural discussion show's host, Mary Beard, anybody in the public eye would be "fair game" for the Spitting Image satirical treatment.

He admitted to the Guardian satirising President Trump offered a challenge "because he's a satire in himself", but said puppets allowed them to go further than actors could.

Impressionist Luke Kempner confirmed his involvement in the show, writing on Twitter: "This is my latest project I've been working on!! So exciting and a true honour!! Watch this space!"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49865406
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:57 am
@blatham,
If you had a passing acquaintance with a legitimate progressive, you’d see they’re saying the same thing.

Truthdig is a GOP operative now? ...or Russian?
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 11:59 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The Wall Street Journal, sadly, now a subsidiary of Fox News.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 12:14 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Certainly that depends on your definition of "now" - personally I don't consider 12 years to be in that range.
0 Replies

BillW

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 12:17 pm
Best thing the republicans can do - vote in the Senate to oust tRump. Then put up a solid candidate for 2020. I think Romney or maybe Ryan could possibly take the Presidency. They also might even take back the House that way.

Could this be a reason McConnell is currently being so quiet and noncommittal?
blatham

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:11 pm
@Lash,
Quote:

The WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch. Whereas the paper actually does have good people working and writing, the editorial staff (your piece was written by one of these people) are standardly a mouthpiece for rightwing ideas and have been even before Murdoch bought the paper.
Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:14 pm
@blatham,
And Truthdig?

Many MSM outlets refuse to write anything that calls the DNC and their minions into question. I’m sure you know this.
Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:16 pm
@BillW,
I don’t think they can hopscotch over Pence.
BillW

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:35 pm
@Lash,
"They" don't get to select - anyone/everyone would have to be primaried; voters rule.
Lash

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:43 pm
@Lash,
I the event of an impeachment, the VP is president.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:47 pm
@BillW,
If Trump is removed via impeachment (or if he resigns), then Pence moves up. I don't think that will work for Republicans. He's tied himself too tightly to the orange albatross. I can't imagine conservatives would get behind Romney. Ryan would seem a better bet.

But Trump won't be gone by then unless he just flips out in public or some very obvious and undeniable criminality is exposed. I can't see either of those happening.

Most likely, I think, is that Republicans/conservatives will go all in as Trump supporters over the next year. They have all their eggs in that basket. They can safely assume he'll not be removed with McConnell in place.

The chaos will come when/if Trump loses. Then there will be several main thrusts to Republican story-telling:

1) the media brought him down using lies and smears because the media is controlled by and populated by Dems

2) there was, it will be said, massive voter fraud, mostly involving illegal immigrants

3) IT WAS A COUP STAGED BY THE MOST VICIOUS POLITICAL MACHINATIONS IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICA!

4) George Soros

5) Trump was not a real conservative and many of us said so.

And then they'll go full in on some rebranding exercise.
blatham

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 01:57 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Many MSM outlets refuse to write anything that calls the DNC and their minions into question. I’m sure you know this.
Perhaps you are that stupid. Hard to tell.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 02:03 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Perhaps you are that stupid. Hard to tell.

Truthdig has done good reporting in the past. I've quoted and linked to it. But throughout the wikileaks/Sanders/Clinton era, I've had decreasing faith in what's going on there as regards domestic political coverage. Likewise with Glenn Greenwald.

As regards The Hill, Talking Points Memo has a good piece up right now on that site as a pipeline for pro-Trump propaganda https://talkingpointsmemo.com/prime/better-call-paul-2
BillW

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 02:26 pm
@blatham,
Started my post - "Best thing Republicans can do..."

I agree with everything you write. The scenario I present is what I believe Pelosi has been afraid of. McConnell is smart as a fox and hates tRump. There are sources saying there are 30 Senators that would vote against tRump in an Impeachment vote. Pence would get a year and then Repubs decide in primaries or possibly even the Convention who runs. I also agree that Ryan would be their favorite son. But, there are still a lot of people who like Romney.

I don't think there is a huge chance for this to happen, but it is a scary thought. What about Colin Powell? He would get a lot of crossover votes. BTW, lock this up under the highest security server. Don't want any Repubes to see it.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Builder

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:47 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Billionaires are gladly throwing more money that ever circulated for political purposes to defeat Bernie Sanders and uphold the corrupt status quo.

They are running scared. And for some stupid reason, you—a nobody from nowhere—are running alongside them, throwing awkward punches, not understanding wtf you’re even doing.

That right there, deserves a round of applause.

And to add insult to injury, when presented with evidence to counter his position, he places both hands over both ears, closes both eyes, and purses his lips, like a good monkey should.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:56 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I don’t think they can hopscotch over Pence.

If you look at the history of impeachment attempts, this one will die a very rapid death, before even getting off the ground.