monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 03:31 am
Quote:
Drone attacks have set alight two major oil facilities run by the state-owned company Aramco in Saudi Arabia, state media say.

Footage showed a huge blaze at Abqaiq, site of Aramco's largest oil processing plant, while a second drone attack started fires in the Khurais oilfield.

The fires are now under control at both facilities, state media said.

A spokesman for the Iran-aligned Houthi group in Yemen said it had deployed 10 drones in the attacks.

The military spokesman told al-Masirah TV, owned by the Houthi movement and based in Beirut, that further attacks could be expected in the future.

Saudi officials have not yet commented on who could be behind the attacks.

"At 04:00 (01:00 GMT), the industrial security teams of Aramco started dealing with fires at two of its facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais as a result of... drones," the official Saudi Press Agency reported.

"The two fires have been controlled."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49699429
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 07:20 am
@blatham,
1. Bernie Sanders has been advocating the same revolutionary people-centered policies for 30 years.
2. Clinton, Pelosi and every other Centrist Democrat said Bernie was crazy, these policies like Medicare for All would never happen in this country.
3. The American public embraced Bernie’s policies.
4. Suddenly, almost all Democrat candidates embrace Bernie’s policies.
5. Only an idiot would believe these Johnny Come Latelys will fight for Bernie’s policies with the honesty and attention Bernie will.

edgarblythe

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 08:21 am
@Lash,
That is the exact truth and everybody knows it, admit it or not.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:57 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The lightbulb. People said, 'What's with the lightbulb?' I said, 'Here's the story...' And I looked at it -- the bulb that we're being forced to use -- number one, to me, most importantly, the light is no good. I always look orange. And so do you. The light is the worst."

I wonder if he is going to force some kind of government agency to say the light bulb Trump is referring to turns everybody orange?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:39 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I wonder if he is going to force some kind of government agency to say the light bulb Trump is referring to turns everybody orange?
Will this happen before or after some agency - the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative might be in charge - took care of the "goddamn windmills"?
snood

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:40 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Only an idiot would believe these Johnny Come Latelys will fight for Bernie’s policies with the honesty and attention Bernie will.

Yeah, I guess that’s a point.
I think it’s even stupider to think you’re serving Bernie by calling the other candidates’ supporters idiots.
blatham

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:14 pm
@revelette1,
That's a good, good joke, rev! Well done.
blatham

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:27 pm
@snood,
Quote:
calling the other candidates’ supporters idiots
That's an interesting thing there. If there's one characteristic one can count on in the thinking of any absolutist is that everyone else is wrong. Strongly wrong, as Trump might put it. Idiotic. Blind. Deceived. It takes one's very breath away that such absolute wrongness exists at all.

But, I have to say that as I write this, I'm having to consider how much of this I do myself.

Actually, forget I said anything.
Lash

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:33 pm
@snood,
I don’t buy the “I’m not voting for Bernie because a supporter was mean to me online” line.

edgarblythe

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:11 pm
@Lash,
Voting for any reason other than policy is, in my opinion, the only dumb to call.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I don’t buy the “I’m not voting for Bernie because a supporter was mean to me online” line.

And I’m not buying that anyone is persuaded to vote for Bernie because someone was mean to them online.

It’s understandable. Being nasty to other candidates supporters is part of how you get your jollies. Do you.
It’s just tiresome that you act like you’re serving some grander purpose than that.
revelette1

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Will this happen before or after some agency - the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative might be in charge - took care of the "goddamn windmills"?

I know right? What a bunch of hypocrites those evangelist Trump voters are.

Using The Lord’s Name In Vain’: Republicans Panic As Evangelicals Revolt Over Trump’s ‘Blasphemy’

I haven't seen much panic. I wish I did, even if they chose to stay home, it would help the democrat side.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:44 pm
@blatham,
Oh, well, I was half serious.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 03:48 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
calling the other candidates’ supporters idiots
That's an interesting thing there. If there's one characteristic one can count on in the thinking of any absolutist is that everyone else is wrong. Strongly wrong, as Trump might put it. Idiotic. Blind. Deceived. It takes one's very breath away that such absolute wrongness exists at all.

But, I have to say that as I write this, I'm having to consider how much of this I do myself.

Actually, forget I said anything.

I don’t see you purposefully insulting the intelligence of anyone. Except Trump supporters. Oh damn! Do we have to count them?
Lash

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 03:59 pm
@snood,
I’m not trying to persuade people here of anything. I just say what I want—like you.

My political advocacy and community service are local.

RABEL222

Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:52 pm
@Lash,
And conservative republican.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Sep, 2019 02:57 am
I suppose this might have some relevance to US/Saudi Arabian relations
Quote:
Saudi Arabia, which was the world’s third-highest spender on military equipment in 2018, investing an estimated $67.6 billion.
NYT

That's a lot of money going to all the friends of Dick Cheney.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Sep, 2019 03:06 am
@snood,
It's that old teeter-totter conundrum we all face... Is my soul have full of evil or half empty of it?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 15 Sep, 2019 03:54 am
Bill Corden responds to Bill Maher's proposal that fat shaming become more popular as a strategy to decrease obesity
Quote:
“We’re not all as lucky as Bill Maher. We don’t all have a sense of superiority that burns 35,000 calories a day,”

That's a very funny line. But then again, I have little use for Maher.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 15 Sep, 2019 04:02 am
Quote:
Facebook has suspended a chatbot on Benjamin Netanyahu’s official page after it breached hate speech policy by sending visitors a message warning of Arabs who “want to destroy us all”.

Battling a tight election race in the run-up to the 17 September polls, the Israeli prime minister has sought to appeal to far-right religious and nationalist voters who fear the political influence of Palestinian citizens of Israel.

Facebook said on Thursday it had suspended the automated chat function on the page, which is run by Netanyahu’s ruling Likud party, for 24 hours.

“After careful review of the Likud campaign’s bot activities, we found a violation of our hate speech policy,” Facebook said in a statement. “Should there be any additional violations, we will continue to take appropriate action.”

In its now-deleted message automatically sent to visitors when they arrived on the page, the bot promised the prime minister would pursue “a rightwing policy of a Jewish state, security, and a strong Israel”.

It warned that any opposition coalition that included Arab politicians would be “a secular leftwing weak government that relies on Arabs who want to destroy us all – women, children and men”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/12/facebook-disables-netanyahu-page-bot-over-hate-speech-violation