monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

edgarblythe

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:25 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I haven't seen any commentary here yet regarding the debate last night - which I didn't watch. But as regards any opinions on "winners", the NYT has about a dozen of their writers/columnists scoring the participants. What's interesting about those opinions is how varied they are. That's a key reason I almost never watch the things - the subjectivity of any person's reactions, mine included.

All that said, Warren won. I'm sure of it.

Unbought-Unbossed-Unbowed
@M4AllNann
·
4h
If Bernie was stealing Elizabeth Warren's policies that she had been pushing for literal decades - he'd be called out for it and accused of sexism - for taking ownership for a woman's hard work.

So, why is it ok to do it to the Jewish guy?!
blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
So, why is it ok to do it to the Jewish guy?!
Don't go there, edgar. It's not just bullshit, it's vile bullshit.
snood

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:39 am
@blatham,
And they DO give Bernie credit. I heard them thank Bernie last night at least twice for “taking the lead” on Healthcare. Why can’t Bernie supporters just accept that some people simply like other candidates better than Bernie without making it seem like some kind of underhanded plot or tactic being foisted on their candidate?
farmerman

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:52 am
@snood,
Good point. I too like what Berni has done, I also lik what Biden stands for, but with all these guy running (both Dems and Reps) Its the race among the old white farts .

Starting with the TRUMPSTER , theyre all too old .Trumps already demented, and Im not certain that Bien isnt also.
Berni is an ad for his vic presiential partner(who will no oubt have to finish out a first term.
Remember the YEAR OF ZERO curse
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:59 am
@snood,
It's a good point. Sanders has been instrumental in pushing a certain set of values and goals that are traditional in Dem/lefty politics. But his success in doing so has had the consequence of encouraging other candidates to do the same. This leaves the Bernie camp with a problem - how to differentiate him from those others. And a main thrust in that endeavor is to suggest that all those others are merely faking their credentials as lefties.

But it's not a rational or logical position to take. If, for example, we might seek to pick a leader in the area of ecology and environment, would we have no other proper choice than Rachel Carson? Not to mention that Sanders did not stitch together his policy prescriptions from whole cloth, he too has borrowed from others.
hightor

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:05 am
@snood,
Quote:
Why can’t Bernie supporters just accept that some people simply like other candidates better than Bernie without making it seem like some kind of underhanded plot or tactic being foisted on their candidate?

That's a damned good question. Sanders deserves a lot of credit. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be everyone's preferred candidate.

I've said a bunch of times that I could vote for him and will if he wins the nomination. But I'm not sure he has the ideological flexibility to deal with all the other political forces which exert power in Washington as he's tended to be a one-man show in Congress — a good show, I might add, just not one with a big cast. As Obama found, having the people's goodwill at your back isn't enough to overcome all the institutional inertia which stymies reform and change. Warning — maritime metaphor on the horizon — it takes more than a single well-intentioned captain to successfully and permanently alter the course of a listing ship of state long-stalled in the doldrums of partisan gridlock.
blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:17 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Warning — maritime metaphor on the horizon
Handing in the first paper I'd just written for an anthropology course on Human Origins, I informed my prof that I'd loaded it up with with a rich array of sea metaphors. The expression on his face evidenced an absence of delight.
revelette1

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:19 am
I don't get how Bernie Sander's has the support he has in this election cycle. To my mind he comes off as grumpy old man giving us all a lecture regardless if he is right or wrong. Biden did ok, kind of fell off during the night and started rambling a bit, he did good on defending his health care plan. Castro's zinger just came off as rude, plus he was wrong. Harris was in her own world last night laughing at her own jokes. Warren did good and comes off good in comparison to Bernie who just seems to be in a bad mood with a cold. I admit to losing interest on the second hour, but that is what I kind of got myself and what I read on WP and NYT.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:41 am
@blatham,
Hey, at least I didn't make reference to the cadaverous "body politic"!
Walter Hinteler

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:45 am
@blatham,
But actually you should always keep a weather eye on the horizon (petty officer [navigation] 2nd class Walter H.)
georgeob1

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Always ! A time-honored, salty aphorism.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:53 pm
@blatham,
The difference is: Bernie is the only one who will actually fight for the changes he (and everyone else) is promising.
edgarblythe

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:33 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Why can’t Bernie supporters just accept that some people simply like other candidates better than Bernie without making it seem like some kind of underhanded plot or tactic being foisted on their candidate?

That's a damned good question. Sanders deserves a lot of credit. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be everyone's preferred candidate.

I've said a bunch of times that I could vote for him and will if he wins the nomination. But I'm not sure he has the ideological flexibility to deal with all the other political forces which exert power in Washington as he's tended to be a one-man show in Congress — a good show, I might

add, just not one with a big cast. As Obama found, having the

people's goodwill at your back isn't enough to overcome all the institutional inertia which stymies reform and change. Warning — maritime metaphor on the horizon — it takes more than a single well-intentioned captain to successfully and permanently alter the course of a listing ship of state long-stalled in the doldrums of partisan gridlock.

If Sanders supporters had nothing to point to I might concede a bit. It's so blatant, only the willfully blind can fail to see it.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:12 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Hey, at least I didn't make reference to the cadaverous "body politic"!
That's a lovely sentence.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But actually you should always keep a weather eye on the horizon
This is misinformation promoted by the shark lobby.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:31 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Bernie is the only one who will actually fight for the changes he (and everyone else) is promising.
Because he's a magical unicorn. Sorry, he's the magical unicorn. The only one.
blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:42 pm
This could make a wonderful children's book...

"The Light Switch and the Orange ****-Gibbon"
Quote:
At a campaign rally in North Carolina earlier this week, Donald Trump addressed his policy and shed some light (no pun intended) on why he and his team adopted their latest position.

Quote:
"I'm not a vain person, and I know I have no vain people especially these incredible ladies in the front, but I look better under an incandescent light than these crazy lights that are beaming down on us."

Last night, speaking to the House Republican Conference, he did it again.

Quote:
"The lightbulb. People said, 'What's with the lightbulb?' I said, 'Here's the story...' And I looked at it -- the bulb that we're being forced to use -- number one, to me, most importantly, the light is no good. I always look orange. And so do you. The light is the worst."
Benen

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:50 pm
I really love Murdoch's Fox News. It's been such a blessing to America.
Quote:
Fox host Tomi Lahren suggests that Americans may need to shoot immigrants who are coming to the United States

Lahren: “The people in the middle of this country, we are going to be armed and ready, because we have to have a means to defend ourselves from — who knows who's coming in?”
MM
glitterbag

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:57 pm
@blatham,
🤬
blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:09 pm
@glitterbag,
I know.
0 Replies