monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

edgarblythe

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 08:12 am
Much of what Israel is doing in America is being done with full consent. That they would go several steps beyond what is sanctioned is no real surprise.
snood

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 08:13 am
@blatham,
Yeah, it felt a little over-the-top saying it like that. And I truly understand them being afraid of losing their livelihood. But the stakes sure seem high enough to me that more of them (pols and journos) would take more risks.
blatham

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 08:20 am
@snood,
Yes. I've recommended Jay Rosen's PressThink blog before and I'll do it again. I think he's the smartest guy around on how the press has been failing too often in grasping and responding to what Trump has wrought.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 10:20 am
Quote:
The climate change denier who once argued that the “demonization” of carbon dioxide was the same as the “demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler” is leaving the White House, E&E News was first to report.

William Happer, a retired Princeton physics professor, was serving as the deputy assistant for emerging technologies on the National Security Council for the past year. Earlier this year, President Trump tasked Happer with leading a new panel that would attempt to “peer review,” or discredit, climate science. Happer is known for arguing in support of the release of carbon emissions into the atmosphere, and he has claimed climate scientists are in a “cult” and that the world is experiencing a “CO2 famine.”
TPM

Damned shame to lose a mind that sharp and discerning. According to the E&E piece linked, "Bolton supported Happer's efforts to try to weaken the science".

So, dang, we're losing two great minds. Thank god Trump's mind is still on guard.
RABEL222

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 01:21 pm
Remember the U S S Liberty re Israel being an ally.
MontereyJack

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 01:37 pm
@blatham,
Figures that bolton would support happer.goodbriddance tklo borh of them. Trump fot a change is actually doing something good. Off coursw tho he appointed them in the first polace so hes jost recrifying his own awful decision to influct them on us.
blatham

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Figures that bolton would support happer (his attempts to discredit the science)
Actually, that surprised me. Not that Bolton is a lunatic but that throwing his lunacy in that particular direction hasn't been what he's known for.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 03:58 pm
Oh darn. Trump has lost his African American. How strange that might happen.
Quote:
Gregory Cheadle briefly rose to fame in 2016 when President Donald Trump infamously singled out as “my African-American” at a campaign rally in an effort to prove he had support from the black community.

Now he’s done.

PBS NewsHour reported on Thursday that Cheadle, who’s running for Congress in California’s 1st District, is leaving the Republican Party to run as an independent instead.
TPM
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:27 pm
@RABEL222,
ditto and don't forget Jonathan Pollard
Builder

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 07:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Much of what Israel is doing in America is being done with full consent.

Isn't the alternative to consent, a prison sentence, Edgar?

To find out who controls you, look at whom you can't get away with critiquing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 07:42 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
don't forget Jonathan Pollard

The US should pay him compensation of millions of dollars for our mistreatment of him. Our antisemitism was shameful.
glitterbag

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 09:12 pm
@oralloy,
He was a spy, a spy who was caught spying for Israel (which happens to be a foreign country). We have much closer relationships with Great Britain and Canada and Australia, but if any of those governments paid American intelligence workers to spy against the US and if they were caught those Americans would be charged with espionage. And by the way, Pollard was an American. Maybe you missed that part.
oralloy

Thu 12 Sep, 2019 09:58 pm
@glitterbag,
Spies who work for friendly governments usually serve around 7 years in prison. Making him serve 30 was due solely to antisemitism.
RABEL222

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 12:24 am
@oralloy,
O yes. Spying by a republican American is o k. After all he was just trying to make a living like Trump any way he could.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 01:03 am
@oralloy,
Well now you've topped yourself. If you (lets say Pollard) are spying for a "friendly" government and employed with an intelligence agency holding a clearance and get caught, you are charged with espionage. If (oral) you pay taxes, like most Americans you are paying the salaries of federal employees.......so why would a so-called friendly government also pay (in secret) for material to be stolen??? We do cooperate on many issues but since Israel is such a pal, why didn't they just ring up the SECDEF and request it. There is no county in the world that lets other friendly countries waltz in and out with complete access to everything.

By the way, Pollard should still be behind bars. I can tell you if I was slipping info out in my purse to the Israelis or to the British or the Canadians, I'd get more than 7 years, I'd get thirty or more depending on how damaging the breach had been. Intell personnel view people like Pollard, Pelton, Hanson with disgust....it's a serious matter for people who serve this country.
oralloy

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 01:25 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I can tell you if I was slipping info out in my purse to the Israelis or to the British or the Canadians, I'd get more than 7 years, I'd get thirty or more depending on how damaging the breach had been.

That is incorrect. Spies for friendly governments tend to get around 7 years.

Unless they are Jews that is. Some people feel that Jews should be treated more harshly than other people are treated.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:39 am
I haven't seen any commentary here yet regarding the debate last night - which I didn't watch. But as regards any opinions on "winners", the NYT has about a dozen of their writers/columnists scoring the participants. What's interesting about those opinions is how varied they are. That's a key reason I almost never watch the things - the subjectivity of any person's reactions, mine included.

All that said, Warren won. I'm sure of it.
edgarblythe

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:18 am
Bernie: I'm the ONLY person up here who voted against all three of Trump's military budgets.
oralloy

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Why does Sanders want America to be conquered and destroyed?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:24 am
National deficit now past $1 Trillion bucks
Quote:
in February 2016, the future president appeared on Fox News and assured viewers that, if he were president, he could start paying off the national debt “so easily.”

...A month later, in March 2016, Trump declared at a debate that he could cut trillions of dollars in spending by eliminating “waste, fraud, and abuse.”

...A month after that, in April 2016, Trump declared that he was confident that he could “get rid of” the entire multi-trillion-dollar debt “fairly quickly.” Pressed to be more specific, the future president replied, “Well, I would say over a period of eight years.”

By July 2016, he boasted that once his economic agenda was in place, “we’ll start paying off that debt like water.”
Benen

Forget Trump. When he speaks, he's almost always lying.

What's really notable here is the near complete absence of any Republicans or their media allies, while a Republican is in the WH, carrying on about the existential risk to all that is good in America when deficits rise.

Perhaps we can just begin from the premise that the GOP and conservatism in America has become, more than anything else, a criminal enterprise.
0 Replies