monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Sturgis

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 10:51 am
@blatham,
Ain't the growing dictatorship planned by Trump grand?

Not even 3 years in and the first sign of a coup!
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 10:52 am
Good.
Quote:
Three House panels have opened an investigation into whether Rudy Giuliani is trying to strong-arm the Ukrainian government into helping President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign.
TPM
0 Replies

Sturgis

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:01 am
Today's cartoon comes from Daily Kos

This Modern World, Tom Tomorrow
blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:11 am
Quote:
In a previously undisclosed secret mission in 2017, the United States successfully extracted from Russia one of its highest-level covert sources inside the Russian government, multiple Trump administration officials with direct knowledge told CNN.

A person directly involved in the discussions said that the removal of the Russian was driven, in part, by concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy.
The decision to carry out the extraction occurred soon after a May 2017 meeting in the Oval Office in which Trump discussed highly classified intelligence with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and then-Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak. The intelligence, concerning ISIS in Syria, had been provided by Israel.
CNN

Quote:
It’s in part because of events like such as one that I’m certain history will judge Trump to be the worst president America has had in 230 years. Not just corrupt, not just ignorant, not just impulsive, not just divisive, not just bigoted, not just juvenile and petty and vindictive, but someone so untrustworthy that he couldn’t even be relied on to not spill intelligence secrets to our adversaries.
Paul Waldman WP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:13 am
@Sturgis,
It's a good one.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:38 am
I never go to Daily Kos, but this story caught my eye after clicking Sturgi's link.

At least 100 Hurricane Dorian evacuees booted from boat headed to U.S. over lack of visa

So typically horrible in this administration.

I know with congress returning, a lot of talk is going to center around impeachment. Before when I doubt democrat's chances in 2020 I was in favor of impeachment because in my view, Trump has committed high crimes and misdeamers mulitple times. However, now I have a little hope and considering Pence...I think they should concentrate on the election and getting the senate and more seats in house and the Presidency.
blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 12:14 pm
@revelette1,
Yeah. That story is being covered elsewhere as well. Do you think it might go differently if the folks were caucasians from Nova Scotia?

revelette1

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 12:31 pm
@blatham,
I don't know. I just know things like this constantly happen with this administration. If Trump had simply waived the Visa requirement for the hurricane victims, it wouldn't had happened. Also apparently the ferry gave them wrong information and didn't go to Nassau so they could get VISA's. Trump should just waive the requirement for the Hurricane victims.
izzythepush

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 12:52 pm
@revelette1,
There's always been a political aspect. I remember tales of Haitians fleeing the horrors of the Duvalier regime being refused entry while economic migrants from Cuba were welcomed with open arms.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:25 pm
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke at an event Kansas on Friday, where he fielded a question from a Kansas State University physics professor who asked a very good question.

Quote:
"As you know, there have been an exodus of scientists across many of the federal agencies. This exodus has been driven largely because the results of their work has been suppressed. Indeed, recently a well-regarded physicist/chemist Dr. Rod Schoonover left the U.S. Department of State due to the suppression of even a security-cleared version of his assessment on the impact of climate change on national security. I add parenthetically that, in my opinion, the Department of State can ill afford the loss of any good scientists.

"My question is: Do you support the suppression of scientific reports from within the U.S. Department of State? If not, how did this happen? And if so, why?"

Pompeo was less impressed with the question than I was.

Quote:
"Well, it won't shock you that I disagree with most of what you just said. Of course, no one supports the absence of science. I would argue that this State Department -- indeed, this administration -- has relied on science far more than the previous administration, and I would argue more than any administration in history. [...]

"We turn to scientists and facts-based approaches to every single difficult challenge we face every day."
Benen

These people are scum-like.
blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:28 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I don't know.
I do. Racism is endemic in this administration and more broadly across the right. Not news at all.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
now discredited "hockey stick" of the Univ. Pa & Gore era

Only in your discredited mind. The "hockey stick graph" has been confirmed time and time again.

Or did you refer to some sharpie-edited version from your champion of lies?

I would like to see some reference to your sources for these supposed confirmations.

So far the observed warming has fallen well below the initial forecasts based on the assumed accelerated warming. Indeed the observed warming also fell well below subsequent IPCC forecasts, until a few years ago, when they updated their models to include rather obvious factors such as the accelerated growth of carbon absorbing green plants, and the assumed mixing depth for absorbed carbonic acid. Given these shortfalls from even subsequent predictions I find your references to "multiple confirmations" a bit laughable.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:40 pm
@blatham,
Commerce Chief Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Hurricane Tweets, Sources Say
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Secretary of Commerce threatened to fire top employees at NOAA on Friday after the agency’s Birmingham office contradicted President Trump’s claim that Hurricane Dorian might hit Alabama, according to three people familiar with the discussion.

That threat led to an unusual, unsigned statement later that Friday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration disavowing the office’s own position that Alabama was not at risk. The reversal caused widespread anger within the agency and drew criticism from the scientific community that NOAA, a division of the Commerce Department, had been bent to political purposes.

Officials at the White House and the Commerce Department declined to comment.
[...]
Mr. Ross, the Commerce Secretary, intervened two days later, early last Friday, according to the three people familiar with his actions. Mr. Ross phoned Neil Jacobs, the acting administrator of NOAA, from Greece where the secretary was traveling for meetings and instructed Dr. Jacobs to fix the agency’s perceived contradiction of the president.

Dr. Jacobs objected to the demand and was told that the political staff at NOAA would be fired if the situation was not fixed, according to the three individuals, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the episode. Unlike career government employees, political staff are appointed by the administration. They usually include a handful of top officials, such as Dr. Jacobs, and their aides.

However, a senior administration official who asked not to be identified when discussing internal deliberations said that the Birmingham office had been wrong and that NOAA had simply done the responsible thing and corrected the record.

That official suggested the Twitter post by the Birmingham forecasters had been motivated by a desire to embarrass the president more than concern for the safety of people in Alabama. The official provided no evidence to support that conclusion.

On Monday, Craig N. McLean, NOAA’s acting chief scientist, sent an email to staff members notifying the agency that he was looking into “potential violations” in the agency’s decision to ultimately back Mr. Trump’s statements rather than those of its own scientists. He called the agency’s action “a danger to public health and safety.”

Dr. Jacobs is scheduled to speak Tuesday at a weather industry conference in Huntsville, Ala.

On Monday, the National Weather Service director, Louis W. Uccellini, got a standing ovation from conference attendees when he praised the work of the Birmingham office and said staff members there had acted “with one thing in mind, public safety” when they contradicted Mr. Trump’s claim that Alabama was at risk.
hightor

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:42 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Since the hockey stick paper in 1998, there have been a number of proxy studies analysing a variety of different sources including corals, stalagmites, tree rings, boreholes and ice cores. They all confirm the original hockey stick conclusion: the 20th century is the warmest in the last 1000 years and that warming was most dramatic after 1920.

skepticalscience

Quote:
Confessions Of A Climate Activist: Don’t Blame Yourself, Go After The Criminals Who Sold Out Humanity For Profit

June 12th, 2019 by Steve Hanley

[…]

An investigation by Inside Climate News in 2015 revealed that ExxonMobil new exactly what the result of burning fossil fuels would be way back in 1982. Its scientists even created a graph showing what the result of pumping billions of toms of carbon dioxide would be over time. A version of that chart, with red lines added to show where we are today, was tweeted recently by Bloomberg correspondent Tom Randall.

The original hockey stick chart created in 1998 by climate scientists Michael E. Mann, Raymond S. Bradley and Malcolm K. Hughes brought hoots of derision from the industry and led to a well funded campaign — paid for in large part by ExxonMobil — to discredit the scientists who created it.

[…]

cleantechnica
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 01:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I would like to see some reference to your sources for these supposed confirmations.

Hightor already gave a source. All you have to do is research it and you'll find more. You can start by Wikipedia if you want to, and then work out their sources. Or you can start by any other reputable source. All you have to do is type "hockey stick" in their search box.

You do need to learn how to spot spook paid-for 'science' site and stay away from them. That's an important skill nowadays. You also need to unlearn all the lies you've been told. That's going to take you some time.

Quote:
So far the observed warming has fallen well below the initial forecasts based on the assumed accelerated warming.

I would like to see some reference to your sources for these supposed wrong forecasts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 02:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Rich Alley has never been successfully countered by the GW denialists. Rich has never gotten the full credit he deserved since he was merely a finishing phD grad student at the time the "Hockey Stick" graph was produced and immediately jumped upon by the Kochs (through the Limbaugh EIB crappola).

blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 02:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks walter. I hadn't seen that. Lovely people, aren't they.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
I recently met with an old and very close friend of mine. He's been a successful trader with a high profile and a long-running radio show in Vancouver. At one point in our conversation, he said, "The climate is always changing". That's not his phrase, of course. He's just imbibed it. It was disappointing to hear him repeat it. It's rather like telling Jews under attack in the Warsaw Ghetto, "There's always social turmoil".
0 Replies

roger

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 03:14 pm
@McGentrix,

McGentrix wrote:

What kind of background check?
What kind of troubled individual?

That's what it comes down to. Oh, and what is it going to cost? I ask because the chances of passing might turn out to be the same as receiving permission to own and carry might be roughly equivalent to those in effect in NYC. Costs to be born by the applicant, of course, which might well rule out 90% of the adult population.

Troubled individual? Who makes that determination? A troubled neighbor? If you are somehow determined to be "troubled" how do you go about being ruled "untroubled", and again, what does it cost, including legal fees? Sounds kind of like our NO Fly list.
oralloy

Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:35 pm
@roger,
Don't worry. We're going to block every one of these gun control bills in the Senate.