monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Do you dispute that Clinton created the Third Way?
[...]
I don’t write these articles. I just know they’re true.
You didn't ask me, I know, but what was done during Clinton's presidency was an adoption of the Third Way and partly redefining it.

The Third Way is an old Social-Democratic topic, and actually many think it was a main reason for the foundation of the "Independent Social Democratic Party of Germany" (USPD), a short living party in Germany (1917-1931), a split of left wing members of the Social Democratic Party of Germany.

It is a position of nearly all European social democratic and many other parties past WWII.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:25 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
We are now self-sufficient and compete with Saudi Arabia on petroleum exports.
Admittedly not my area of expertise. But it seems to me that competition operates within a framework of fossil fuel connections and economics worldwide. It will be in the interests of US oil producers to maintain cooperative and co-beneficial arrangements with middle east oil producers. Ford and GM, though competitors, have many matching interests in legislation re auto standards, for example, and will cooperate where beneficial for both.
Quote:
Meanwhile Canada is struggling to build a pipeline across BC to the Pacific to export more of its Tar Sands Petroleum, which from a carbon emissions perspective is about like coal.
Indeed. I'm not a fan of this policy at federal or provincial levels but my opinion comes with a caveat. It seems utterly foolish to imagine shifts from fossil fuels to renewables in an immediate time frame. But that caveat has its own caveat; we must make the shift and time delays are not in our favor even if in the favor of the full range of powerful interests dependent on the existing system.
Lash

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:25 am
Quote:
You didn't ask me, I know, but what was done during Clinton's presidency was an adoption of the Third Way and partly redefining it.

I sometimes forget I’m talking to the world. For America, he tooled it, packaged it, and sold it. It is virulently anti-progressive and jockeys for Republican donors. Clinton is The Godfather of American Third Way politics, imo.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:36 am
@blatham,
The various prediction of government and environmental groups for the likely effects of continued carbon emissions all show the most likely outcomes (by large margins) to be quite manageable, both in terms of warming and sea level rise. Several worst case scenarios, with probabilities of occurrence generally less than 2%, are the stuff behind the demands and scare stories of activists. (and so far measured outcomes fall slightly short of the forecast most likely ones). The overwhelmingly most likely outcomes all permit a rather orderly and evolutionary transition to new and improved energy technologies. Since the Paris Treaty was signed none of the Signatories of the Paris accord has reduced their emissions by as large a fraction as has the United States. (However that was done mostly with a large-scale switch from coal to gas - a process which is approaching completion. Continued reductions on that scale will require the construction of new nuclear power plants - ( all opposed by so called environmentalists .)
blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:44 am
@georgeob1,
I'm not going to argue with you as regards climate predictions. We've both posted on that before. As regards the necessity of increasing nuclear power, I think you may be right. Also possible you're wrong. I just don't know.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:48 am
@blatham,
production wise george-ob is correct. Reserve wise, Im not sure because the middle east has not yet really identified its Silurian'Devonian; and Early Miss "Frackable gas and oil plays as of yet.

I suspect that th Russian fields will make us look teeny. So theres a reason to go for renewables eaven faster,because we have anywhere from 100 to 200 years of frackable fuel in reserve (we are still going deeper into our Ordovician an Cambrian Formations(maybe even pre cambrian Grenville stuff. Once we are done, the other parts of the world will be the production giants again Ive been told (hypotheses only).

I feel that we will be in a bigger crunch for lithium an some RRE's that will be used in advanced battery technology. (Until iron lattice batteries are perfected as a hybrid).

3D solr pnels are getting so good that collector sizes and , hence, overall outputs are becoming smaller (collectore) and more powerful and long lasting.

georgeob1

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 11:57 am
@farmerman,
I'm aware of some advanced solar panels that have much higher collection efficiencies than the current silica ones, but so far they are much more expensive, and require some rare earth metals as well. Is that what you are referring to as "3D " panels?

Large-scale energy storage is likely to remain an intractable problem for a long time.

I agree with you about the likely greater extent of Russian reserves than ours, and the likely effects of fracking on Middle East oil & Gas production.
blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I feel that we will be in a bigger crunch for lithium an some RRE's that will be used in advanced battery technology.
Yeah. You know far more about this than I do but an honest look at options up the road will have to make an accounting of the negative repercussions of manufacturing new systems and technologies. At the same time, though, I guess we better be prepared for serious misinformation campaigns on such issues coming from the usual suspects.
farmerman

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:07 pm
@blatham,
you mmean, we shall have a.....(Watch for it).......A LITHIUM GAP? (gsp)
georgeob1

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:15 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

At the same time, though, I guess we better be prepared for serious misinformation campaigns on such issues coming from the usual suspects.

Who are your "usual suspects? We have certainly seen a great deal of continuing misinformation coming from AGW advocates on issues ranging from the now discredited "hockey stick" of the Univ. Pa & Gore era, and, as well, the continuing focus of advocates on various worst case scenarios, as opposed to those judged as scientifically most likely, - not to mention their continuing evasion of the human consequences of economic issues attendant to the "remedies" they advocate -- all vividly evident in the recent DNC "debates"
Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:18 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Since the Paris Treaty was signed none of the Signatories of the Paris accord has reduced their emissions by as large a fraction as has the United States. (However that was done mostly with a large-scale switch from coal to gas - a process which is approaching completion. Continued reductions on that scale will require the construction of new nuclear power plants - ( all opposed by so called environmentalists .)

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/XIFHgF3.jpg

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/0CqA2IT.jpg

The Climate Action Tracker, a project run by a group of three climate-research organizations, has been monitoring the progress of 32 countries in meeting the Paris accord goals. Taken together, those 32 countries account for 80 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions.
Source for above graphics and website
georgeob1

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What is "fair share" ? That, of course was the core folly in the Paris accord.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:29 pm
Trump and his family are ‘a dynasty that will last for decades,’ campaign manager says
Quote:
President Trump’s campaign manager said Saturday that the president and his family are “a dynasty that will last for decades,” prompting speculation about whether Trump’s children might one day pursue their own bids for public office.

Brad Parscale was speaking at a meeting of Republican Party delegates in Indian Wells, Calif., the Associated Press reported.

“The Trumps will be a dynasty that will last for decades, propelling the Republican Party into a new party,” Parscale said, according to the AP. “One that will adapt to changing cultures. One must continue to adapt while keeping the conservative values that we believe in.”
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
What is "fair share" ?

The Paris Agreement global goals: What does a fair share for G20 countries look like?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 12:48 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Who are your "usual suspects?
Come on, george.
Quote:
Exxon Knew about Climate Change almost 40 years ago
A new investigation shows the oil company understood the science before it became a public issue and spent millions to promote misinformation
Scientific American
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:32 pm
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
While @BarackObama
is slashing the military, he is also negotiating with our sworn enemy the Taliban--who facilitated 9/11.
12:14 PM · Jan 13, 2012
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 01:42 pm
The field goal attempt was good!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ED4nm7xWsAADCMw?format=jpg&name=900x900
Region Philbis

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 02:04 pm
@blatham,

#SharpieTruth
blatham

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 06:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
I've just used a sharpie to draw a large outline descending from the crotch of my slacks.
glitterbag

Sun 8 Sep, 2019 10:37 pm
@blatham,
Please don't do that again. You need to trust me on this one.