monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:40 am
@hightor,
Delusion can be seductive, conspiracy nuts like to think that they're part of a select few who are the only ones who really know what's going on.

In reality they tend to be low achievers with low intelligence.

What has reality got to offer someone like that?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:11 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

With all the outlandish accents that exist in the United States, you really shouldn't be criticizing accents in Great Britain.....Suppose some Brits think we all sound like Larry the Cable Guy....I'd be a little ticked.

Heh, some US accents get on my nerves as well. The children that voice Peppa Pig have absolutely charming accents. They more than make up for Russell Brand.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

No. Nobody talks like Russell Brand.

Do you talk like Deputy Dawg?

I can do a mean Forrest Gump.
izzythepush

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:30 am
@InfraBlue,
Can you do him happy?
MontereyJack

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:30 am
@izzythepush,
Speaking of accents i was impressed with thevway the PM of NZ handled the Christchurch mass murder. As opposed to trump
but she has one of the strangest accents of a native speaker ive ever heard not at all like that of a kiwi friend. Is hers typical?
izzythepush

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:35 am
@MontereyJack,
It didn't sound strange to me, but I used to live with a couple of Kiwis. It's a bit of a thing over there to come to Britain for a couple of years after graduating.

It's not unusual to hear a Kiwi, or Australian or South African accent, (not in Southampton anyway.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 10:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Can you do him happy?

Rimshot!

Lieutenant Dan!
RABEL222

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 12:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
Damn but I wish I had the computer skills to post this kind of stuff. I'm doing good to type without mistakes on my tablet. Need to get me a computer.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 03:29 pm
How deep does the Deep State go? It's reach is so vast that even operating room surgeons are part of it.
Quote:
President Trump’s claim that surgeons abandoned their operating tables during the President’s visits to hospitals in the wake of two recent mass shootings is just not true, according to one of the hospitals.
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 03:34 pm
Fox hires Sarah Huckabee Sanders because of course they do.

Related, Paul Ryan (who really hated DC because he is a mid-western boy of impeccable integrity) is moving to DC and, of course, is now on Fox's payroll.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 04:52 pm
(Washington, DC) – Judicial Watch announced today that a federal court ordered a hearing for Thursday, August 22, 2019, on the Clinton email issue. On December 6, 2018, U.S. District Court Judge Lamberth ordered Obama administration senior State Department officials, lawyers and Clinton aides to be deposed or answer written questions under oath. The court ruled that the Clinton email system was “one of the gravest modern offenses to government transparency.”

The court ordered discovery into three specific areas: whether Secretary Clinton’s email use of a private email server was intended to stymie FOIA; whether the State Department’s intent to settle this case in late 2014 and early 2015 amounted to bad faith; and whether the State Department has adequately searched for records responsive to Judicial Watch’s request. Judicial Watch deposed nearly a dozen witnesses and will seek addition witnesses and documents from the court, including the deposition of Hillary Clinton and Cheryl Mills, her chief of staff at State and personal lawyer who directed the destruction of 33,000 State Department Clinton emails. Lawyers for Clinton and Mills are expected at the hearing Thursday.

The hearing and report were ordered in accordance with a July 2014 Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit, which was filed after the U.S. Department of State failed to respond to a May 13, 2014, FOIA request (Judicial Watch v. U.S. Department of State (No. 1:14-cv-01242)).

In initially granting Judicial Watch discovery, Judge Lamberth criticized the State and Justice Department for possible “bad faith” and “chicanery.”

“Judicial Watch’s has recently gathered troubling, new evidence about the Clinton email scandal and we hope the court will grant us additional discovery to get more facts,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “And it is outrageous that the Justice Department continues to try to shield Hillary Clinton on her email misconduct.”

source
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:13 pm

By Silvia Sciorilli Borrelli

8/20/19, 3:58 PM CET

Updated 8/20/19, 6:20 PM CET

ROME — Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced his resignation Tuesday, setting the country on an uncertain political course that could lead to a snap election or a new governing alliance.

Conte’s move preempted a confidence vote that had been expected to take place 12 days after Matteo Salvini, leader of the far-right League party and Italy's interior minister, called for such a motion.

Before announcing his resignation, Conte held a one-hour speech critical of Salvini, noting that the minister's decision to end the coalition government with the populist 5Stars Movement "has major consequences for the country and its economy."

“This government ends here,” Conte said.

The outgoing prime minister — who was booed by lawmakers from the League — said Salvini got "distracted from the government’s good work [because] he was too focused looking for an excuse to pull the plug on it.”

In response, Salvini thanked Conte for his resignation and said: “Finally.”

The prime minister's resignation will not automatically trigger a snap election. It is now up to President Sergio Mattarella to decide on the way forward. Conte will head to see the president Tuesday night after the four-hour Senate debate.

Salvini, speaking from the parliamentary benches rather than the government’s seats, said he was a “free man, unlike many other lawmakers who put the interests of Brussels, Germany and France before those of Italians.”

source
RABEL222

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 12:41 am
@Builder,
Sound Trump like to me. Is he another wanna be dictator?
Olivier5

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 12:59 am
@RABEL222,
Yes, Salvini is a Trumpalike.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 01:17 am
@Olivier5,
I think, Salvini - 'the new Duce' - is finished — for now. But who knows, what will come next - the 66th (?) post-war government in Italy's 72 years of republic history.

Olivier5

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 01:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope the PD and M5S do manage to form a goverment that lasts at least a year. At some point in the near future, Mattarella will have to call an election, and I would like the "sane" part of Italian politics to prove what it can do for a little while before an election. (in my view 5 Stelle is not insane or inherently corrupt -- they are naïve and populist but well meaning)

If there were elections now, they could lead to the most extremist ultra-right government since Mussolini. At least that's what polsters are saying.
Builder

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 04:07 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
At least that's what polsters are saying.

They said Clinton couldn't lose, too.
MontereyJack

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 09:06 am
@Builder,
They said she would win the pop vote narrowly. Which she did.
Olivier5

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 09:26 am
@Builder,
Maybe you can lend them your crystal ball?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 23 Aug, 2019 11:10 am
@MontereyJack,
The popular vote has no meaning to the Presidential Election. Plus you are either lying again or just being dishonest in an attempt to not admit the truth. Just about news organization and poll had Hillary winning the EC, it had nothing to do with the popular vote. The popular vote only came into focus when it was clear Hillary wasn't going to win via the Constitutional method.
Put into football terms, you want the team with the most yards to win the game, not the most points. The popular vote is a stat, nothing more.