monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
the US president said the way Denmark's prime minister dismissed his idea of buying Greenland was "nasty."
Yeah. If there is anything Trump would never do is to be nasty to others.

I can think of several examples of times Trump’s characterized someone opposing him as “nasty” - and it’s always a woman . Can anyone find an example of him using that adjective on a man?
blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:43 pm
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2019/08/21/21-trump-jewish-tweets.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

There it is. Trump is like Jesus come again. And Trump retweets it.

Dear Trump supporters
You are, each and every one of you, ******* idiots.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:44 pm
@snood,
You might be right about that, snood. Maybe something to do with the golden showers thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:49 pm
Ed Kilgore gets this exactly right
Quote:
When Trump Talks About Jews, He’s Really Talking to Evangelical Christians

Those tuning in to the president’s occasional exhortations to American Jews to love what he loves and to hate what (or whom) he hates may wonder why he seems obsessed with this relatively small category of Americans, to the extent of accusing the vast majority of them of “disloyalty” to Israel. This tendency feels particularly strange when he seems to be beating his head against the ancient wall of Jewish predilections for left-of-center politics, which he appears to find peculiar even though it’s one of the best-known and most durable phenomena in the politics of this and every other age and place. Why does the man keep excoriating Jews for voting for Democrats? Does he really not understand the bloody history of right-wing “nationalist” and “populist” movements when it comes to Jews?

Maybe he doesn’t; for an Ivy Leaguer, the president is impressively ignorant about an awful lot of things. But it’s more likely that all his talk about the Jews is really aimed at a very different audience: his white conservative Evangelical Christian electoral base, which has its own distinctive and unsettling form of philosemitism. As the Washington Post’s Philip Bump wrote in his explanation of Trump’s discussion of Jewry and Israel:

Quote:
One of Trump’s most fervent pockets of support is white evangelical Protestants, a group which consistently sides with Trump on political and policy questions. His approach to Israeli politics often lines up with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but it also reflects priorities that have been central to evangelical politics for years...
continue reading here

0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 07:27 pm
@snood,
He calls men weak, and apparently it scares the bejesus out of Republicans.
Builder

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 08:51 pm
How soon we forget.....

Quote:
The most extremist power any political leader can assert is the power to target his own citizens for execution without any charges or due process, far from any battlefield. The Obama administration has not only asserted exactly that power in theory, but has exercised it in practice. In September 2011, it killed US citizen Anwar Awlaki in a drone strike in Yemen, along with US citizen Samir Khan, and then, in circumstances that are still unexplained, two weeks later killed Awlaki's 16-year-old American son Abdulrahman with a separate drone strike in Yemen.

Since then, senior Obama officials including Attorney General Eric Holder and John Brennan, Obama's top terrorism adviser and his current nominee to lead the CIA, have explicitly argued that the president is and should be vested with this power. Meanwhile, a Washington Post article from October reported that the administration is formally institutionalizing this president's power to decide who dies under the Orwellian title "disposition matrix".

When the New York Times back in April, 2010 first confirmed the existence of Obama's hit list, it made clear just what an extremist power this is, noting: "It is extremely rare, if not unprecedented, for an American to be approved for targeted killing." The NYT quoted a Bush intelligence official as saying "he did not know of any American who was approved for targeted killing under the former president". When the existence of Obama's hit list was first reported several months earlier by the Washington Post's Dana Priest, she wrote that the "list includes three Americans".

What has made these actions all the more radical is the absolute secrecy with which Obama has draped all of this. Not only is the entire process carried out solely within the Executive branch - with no checks or oversight of any kind - but there is zero transparency and zero accountability. The president's underlings compile their proposed lists of who should be executed, and the president - at a charming weekly event dubbed by White House aides as "Terror Tuesday" - then chooses from "baseball cards" and decrees in total secrecy who should die. The power of accuser, prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner are all consolidated in this one man, and those powers are exercised in the dark.

In fact, The Most Transparent Administration Ever™ has been so fixated on secrecy that they have refused even to disclose the legal memoranda prepared by Obama lawyers setting forth their legal rationale for why the president has this power.

source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:49 pm
After Trump said Denmark's prime minister had been "nasty" when rebuffing his idea of buying Greenland, now Secretary of State Pompeo has praised Denmark.
Quote:
The US State Department said Mr Pompeo and Mr Kofod had a friendly phone call on Wednesday about the "postponement" of the president's trip.

"The secretary expressed appreciation for Denmark's co-operation as one of the United States' allies and Denmark's contributions to address shared global security priorities," spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement. "The secretary and Foreign Minister Kofod also discussed strengthening co-operation with the Kingdom of Denmark - including Greenland - in the Arctic."
BBC

Iceland Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir said she will not be around for Vice President Pence when he visits the country next month: she'll give the keynote speech at the annual conference of the Nordic trades unions movement at that time. (RÚV)
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:00 pm
My funeral will be the funeral to end all funerals.

Mark my words.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:57 pm
@glitterbag,
The guy has a small dick complex. At his psycho core, that's what his constant bitchiness towards both men and women tries to compensate for.

We should all send him huge oversized godes for Christmass. Or ads for penis enlargement.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 12:50 am
@blatham,
I saw the first series of Fleabag, my son likes it and will be seeing the stage show.

The first series was enough for me.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 01:40 am
From the one minute mark; Shrub admits to explosives in the twin towers.

Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 02:13 am
Deep rabbit hole.

Quote:
Toward the end of the segment, Bartiromo asked Graham: “Who do you think is the mastermind of this? Whose idea was it to insert Donald Trump into Russia meddling?”

Graham responded: “You know, I really am very curious about the role the CIA played here. We know that the FISA warrant application was based on a dossier prepared by Christopher Steele, who was biased against Trump, that was unverified. That’s one problem. But this whole intelligence operation—what role did the CIA play?”

Graham then went a step further, asking: “Who knew about this in the White House? Here’s a question: Was President Obama briefed on the fact that they were opening up a counterintelligence investigation against the Trump campaign? I’d like to know that.”

Bartiromo, who noted that Brennan was running the CIA at that time and would have likely provided the Obama briefing, asked Graham if he was going to call Brennan to testify before Congress. Graham responded somewhat cryptically, saying only, “We’ll see.”
Brennan’s Role

Brennan appears to have played a key role in establishing the FBI’s counterintelligence investigation into the Trump campaign—including making repeated use of questionable foreign intelligence.

source
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 02:58 am
@Builder,
He doesn't "admit" to anything of the kind. He trips up when trying to paraphrase Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and says "explosives" rather than "explosions", realizes he flubbed his line, and keeps on reading his speech.

"Deep rabbit hole" is what you find when you rely on sources like "The Epoch Times".
Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 03:40 am
@hightor,
Quote:
He trips up when trying to paraphrase Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and says "explosives" rather than "explosions",

Nope, he says it twice, while looking at his notes. And would it matter to the context of what he says next?

The next part is what you're ignoring, where he stresses the purpose of the explosives. To prevent those Americans trapped above, from "escaping".

Quote:
"Deep rabbit hole" is what you find when you rely on sources like "The Epoch Times".

It's all information you can't refute. Nice to watch you squirm, though.

Lovely conversation last page about toilet paper.

Hugely connected to the post here, I guess.

In your book. Not mine.
hightor

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 04:01 am
@Builder,
Quote:
To prevent those Americans trapped above, from "escaping".

This happened after a highly publicized and communicated event so the narrative has been corrupted by the media images and accounts of witnesses. If the "plan" were to trap as many people as possible above the point of the explosion the "conspirators" would have waited until later in the day when there are typically many more people in the buildings.

Quote:
Nice to watch you squirm, though.

Lindsay Graham always makes me squirm; makes me feel like I've emerged from a swim in a stagnant algae-filled pond. The story is just a rehashing of the Republicans' desperate attempts to sell their fictional version of events. It's circular reasoning — the rightist media outlet says it's printing the true story because it accurately repeats the lies that have been cooked up by Trump's defenders. Then Trump's defenders say it's a true story because they read it in this clearly non-biased news source. Pathetic.
Builder

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 04:20 am
@hightor,
Quote:
This happened after a highly publicized and communicated event so the narrative has been corrupted by the media images and accounts of witnesses.

I'm not sure I've seen a sentence with so many contra-indicators.

Quote:
Lindsay Graham always makes me squirm;

Ex boyfriend? I have no idea who he is.

Quote:
It's circular reasoning

There's so much of that going on today, it's like

we just look the other way, right?
Real Music

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:17 am
Trump says he wanted to give himself Medal of Honor.

Published August 21, 2019

Quote:
President Donald Trump claimed to laughter on Wednesday that he sought to give himself a Medal of Honor, but decided not to after being counseled against the move by aides.

The offhand remark from the president came during his address to the 75th annual national convention of American Veterans, a volunteer-led veterans service organization also known as AMVETS.

At the event in Louisville, Kentucky, Trump singled out for praise WWII veteran and Medal of Honor recipient Woody Williams.

“Thank you, Woody. You’re looking good, Woody. Woody’s looking good,” Trump said.

“That was a big day, Medal of Honor. Nothing like the Medal of Honor,” he continued. “I wanted one, but they told me I don't qualify, Woody. I said, 'Can I give it to myself anyway?' They said, 'I don't think that's a good idea.'”

Amid scattered chuckles, Trump concluded: “Great, great people. These are great, great men and women that get congressional Medal of Honor. Thank you, Woody.”

The president’s assessment that he should receive the nation’s highest award for acts of military valor followed his statement earlier Wednesday afternoon that he is “the chosen one” in relation to his administration’s trade conflict with China — a proclamation he turned to the sky to deliver.

Trump never served in the military and was granted five draft deferments — four for college and one for bone spurs in his heel.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-he-wanted-to-give-himself-medal-of-honor/ar-AAG8n7f?ocid=UE13DHP
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:28 am
@snood,
And he has nice hair, too!
snood

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:49 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

And he has nice hair, too!

If this was a response to my post about Trump calling women nasty, I can only assume it was an intentional non sequitur meant to elicit amusement by its complete incongruity.

If so, ha ha.

If not, wtf.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 22 Aug, 2019 05:59 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Ex boyfriend?

We did go out a few times, but it was never serious.
Quote:
I have no idea who he is.

Maybe if you actually read your sources instead of just skimming them to find bits and piece that fit your pre-existing conclusions you might be better informed.