monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

InfraBlue

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:21 am
@izzythepush,
Translation, please.
snood

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:28 am
President Trump’s trade wars are expected to reduce the average US households income by $580 by 2020, according to the CBO.

So tired of winning.

https://apple.news/A3iYVw9oaSQWlRyAGFwj8vA
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:29 am
@InfraBlue,

a bog roll is britishese for terlet paper...
InfraBlue

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:31 am
@Region Philbis,
What about car boot?

Yeah, I looked them up before asking, but still....
oralloy

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:32 am
@InfraBlue,
car boot = flea market (people sell things from the trunk of their car)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:02 am
@InfraBlue,
Car boots are not the same as flea markets. Flea markets tend to be permanent with a fixed set of traders. Car boot sales happen in a field and anyone can turn up with a car full of stuff. It also tends to be once or twice a week unlike flea markets which are open throughout the week.

They're called car boot sales because it's what can be fitted in the boot of a car.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:03 am
@InfraBlue,
Nobody translates American vernacular for us, we have to work it out for ourselves.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:06 am
This is the one I got.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/03/05/34DFAAA300000578-3623146-image-a-62_1464929189915.jpg

It's £9.99 on Amazon so 20p is quite a good deal.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

hAving been away for a eek or so , I dont know what the "mooch" suddenly came out with regarding how he now feels about Trump. Anyone have any bumper sticker version about Mooch's apparent change of vision?

Did he come to some realization based on fact or did he just want to vent about his loss of any pulpit without his "buddy"?

My take is this: He has reluctantly come to the conclusion that Trump is not fit to be president and he (the mooch) and other unnamed former cabinet level people and a few other republican bigwigs are joining together to pick a more suitable president. This supposedly will be revealed shortly as soon as he finds enough people who are not terrified of being given a dreadful nickname like 'poo poo head', 'dummy McDummy face' , 'stinky teeth' but will be able to withstand the public humiliation and not break into sobs (Figure the odds). Frankly, very few people possess the gravitas he brings to the table, in other words, I won't be holding my breath.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:51 am
Link

Quote:
A bizarre diplomatic row, even by the standards of the Trump administration, dragged on Wednesday as the US president said the way Denmark's prime minister dismissed his idea of buying Greenland was "nasty."

On Tuesday, President Trump abruptly canceled a planned state visit to Denmark after Mette Frederiksen, the Danish PM, firmly rejected his stated wish to buy Greenland, the semi-autonomous island home to 56,000 people.

Frederiksen had labelled the idea of the US purchasing Greenland an "absurd discussion" to be having.
hightor

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:52 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
...in the boot of a car.

As opposed to the bonnet, right?

Quote:
This is the one I got.

Quite fitting, since he's been the butt of so many jibes and jokes.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:03 pm
@hightor,
See, you can work it out for yourself, have a word with infra.

In fairness, we get considerably more American telly than you do British. I think something like 40% is American.

As a result your vernacular is more familiar to us than vice versa.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:05 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
This is the one I got.

Quite fitting, since he's been the butt of so many jibes and jokes.

I'm a bit impatient because I just fitted a new one this morning. I need to **** more!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Nobody translates American vernacular for us, we have to work it out for ourselves.

I did ask nicely.

Do you all say "loo roll" as well?
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
Some do. I don't, I'm working class, more Anglo Saxon.
InfraBlue

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Is your accent anything like Russel Brand's? I have to say, all of those glottal stops are annoying.
glitterbag

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 03:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
With all the outlandish accents that exist in the United States, you really shouldn't be criticizing accents in Great Britain.....Suppose some Brits think we all sound like Larry the Cable Guy....I'd be a little ticked.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 03:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
No. Nobody talks like Russell Brand.

Do you talk like Deputy Dawg?
blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:25 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
the US president said the way Denmark's prime minister dismissed his idea of buying Greenland was "nasty."
Yeah. If there is anything Trump would never do is to be nasty to others.

blatham

Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Are you a Phoebe Waller-Bridge fan? If not, we won't be friends.