monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 08:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's probably because he's the 45th president — everything reverts to him.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 09:46 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I haven't seen much in the way of the inclusiveness to which you referred among the Democrat Presidential contenders.
You were referencing internecine wrangling among Dems. I suggested that this is a trope that gets recycled each election but that there is some degree of truth to it and that Dem party inclusiveness is a significant and inevitable causal factor:
- In the House, the GOP sits 13 women, the Dems seat 89
- In that body, there are currently 52 African Americans seated. Only 1 of these is Republican and he's leaving.
- In the Senate, the Dems seat 8 Jewish members and Independents seat 1. The GOP seats exactly 0.
- In the House, there are 25 Jewish on the Dem side and 2 on the GOP side
- In the House, there are 63 non-Christians. 2 are Republicans.

You point to the current Dem primary debates and apparently suggest that the current contest between "progressives" and "choose your term" is marked by the first category "shouting down" others - thus the first category are "exclusive". I have no idea what you are talking about. Warren and Sanders are beating up all the others? Cory Booker has no presence on the stage? Kamala Harris can't get a word in anywhere? Mayor Pete is invisible? Beto can't be heard over the loud bullying of somebody?

None of what you are claiming makes sense. None of it reflects reality. And boy, none of it takes even the slightest note of either the internecine battle on the right between the Freedom Caucus and the rest of the seated GOPers OR what went down in the previous GOP primary debates - "Hey Trump. You have a tiny penis"... "Hey Little Marco, my dick is enormous"
blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 09:50 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Trump’s trips to Mar-a-Lago cost $3 million each and he went every other week.
Now, place that fact alongside complaints about the cost of the Mueller investigation of widespread Russian influence on the electoral process.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 09:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah. It's Trump's honesty and integrity that makes him such an unusually wonderful president and human.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 10:40 am
Quote:
Election experts endorse Cory Booker’s explanation for Trump winning Michigan

...Reports from former special counsel Robert Mueller and the Senate
Intelligence Committee outlined how a “troll farm” called the Internet Research Agency, which has close ties to the Kremlin, made a coordinated effort on social media to suppress the black vote in 2016. African Americans tend to vote overwhelmingly for Democrats.

There is reason to believe those Russian efforts worked. A new study from researchers at the University of Tennessee found that social media posts and disinformation spread by Russian troll farms influenced how Americans responded to opinion polls before the 2016 election.

Michigan voters were also hampered that year by Republican legislative maneuvers to suppress minority turnout.
TP
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 12:26 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You point to the current Dem primary debates and apparently suggest that the current contest between "progressives" and "choose your term" is marked by the first category "shouting down" others - thus the first category are "exclusive". I have no idea what you are talking about. Warren and Sanders are beating up all the others? Cory Booker has no presence on the stage? Kamala Harris can't get a word in anywhere? Mayor Pete is invisible? Beto can't be heard over the loud bullying of somebody?

None of what you are claiming makes sense. None of it reflects reality. And boy, none of it takes even the slightest note of either the internecine battle on the right between the Freedom Caucus and the rest of the seated GOPers OR what went down in the previous GOP primary debates - "Hey Trump. You have a tiny penis"... "Hey Little Marco, my dick is enormous"

You missed the central point. I was instead referring to the rather monotonous uniformity of the political proposals each candidate was making, and the disastrous consequences of their even more unlikely enactment in the Congres . It appeared to me they had all suspended critical thinking about the policies they so uniformly advocated, and implicit to that was their strange but evident uniform acceptance of the underlying proposition that none of them could actually win the election or govern.

Little disagreement about policy and goals but instead a few cheap shots at each other's background does not constitute a debate.

That I believe is the obvious central reality in the Democrat debates and campaigns so far. That such self delusion could embrace a whole party of contenders, and that it could be reinforced so effectively by their supporters is itself a remarkable thing. It's unusual, but has happened before - with George McGovern in 1972.
Sturgis

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 02:27 pm
@georgeob1,
Many things contributed to the McGovern loss.

Having to change his running mate after a few weeks, when information came out of Thomas Eagleton having had electroshock therapy was one part. That news made voters doubt how well McGovern was at vetting and overall judgement.

An article from Conservative Robert Novak citing an unidentified Democratic Senator, said McGovern would be for abortions, legalizing marijuana and full amnesty. That nailed McGovern out of many middle of the road voters.

However, McGovern was not done! He selected Edmund Muskie as his new VP choice. The problem here was the infamous Canuck letter. It took until early October for the FBI to say the letter was fake and part of dirty political tricks. With less than a month to the election, there was no way to recover.

It was horrid in so many ways. We got stuck with a second round of Nixon and well, we know how badly that went.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:05 pm
No takers. How about you, george01 - 100 million tax payer dollars for Trump golf trips fine with you?
roger

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:37 pm
@snood,
Hey, the man's got to get his exercise.
snood

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:41 pm
@roger,
That’s probably as salient as any answer the stalwarts could provide. Hypocrisy doesn’t even begin to describe it.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:54 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You missed the central point. I was instead referring to the rather monotonous uniformity of the political proposals each candidate was making
Entirely subjective. Imagine how my response to Republican debates.
Quote:
the disastrous consequences of their... enactment in the Congress

That's your ideology talking. Fine but unconvincing to anyone who doesn't hold the same stance.
Quote:
implicit to that was their strange but evident uniform acceptance of the underlying proposition that none of them could actually win the election or govern.
Say what?
Quote:
instead a few cheap shots at each other's background does not constitute a debate.
Cheap shots? Did you watch the previous GOP debates? Do you not know who Donald Trump is?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 04:56 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Hey, the man's got to get his exercise.
I trust you don't imagine the guy actually walks his mountainous midriff and axe-handle-wide ass around the course.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 07:28 pm
@snood,
Quote:
100 million tax payer dollars for Trump golf trips fine with you?

Compared to Obama's bailout of his bankster criminal buddies, it's a paltry sum.

The maximum cost of a $700 billion bailout would be $2,295 estimated cost per American (based on an estimate of 305 million Americans), or $4,635 per working American (based on an estimate of 151 million in the work force).

Not to be forgetting that the banksters orchestrated the GFC, and the Fed was complicit.

And because Obama wasn't explicit in what the bailout was to be used for, the criminals used the bailouts to give themselves "performance" bonuses.

oralloy

Sat 3 Aug, 2019 10:07 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Obama's bailout of his bankster criminal buddies

Which laws are which bankers supposed to have violated?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 12:06 am
@Builder,
Your mistaken, George Bush bailed out the banks and financial organizations because they were "ahem" too big to fail. And all the lending organizations were so grateful they are now lobbying to have all the restrictions lifted so they can fleece the public again. In other words, they gamble and expect the taxpayers to pay their gambling debts.
Builder

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 02:22 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Your (sic) mistaken, George Bush bailed out the banks and financial organizations because they were "ahem" too big to fail.

You're mistaken. I followed this "collapse" and "recovery" very closely

Quote:
By September 2008, McCain and Obama met with President George W. Bush and together they called for a $700 billion bailout of the banks, not the people. Obama and McCain issued a joint statement that called the bank bailout plan “flawed,” but said, “the effort to protect the American economy must not fail.” Obama expressed “outrage” at the “crisis,” which was “a direct result of the greed and irresponsibility that has dominated Washington and Wall Street for years.”

source

You'd be wise to watch one of the best documented histories of the "collapse" out there. Called "Inside Job" , it most definitely wasn't something "nobody saw coming".

Obama actually promoted some of the perps to his staff.

https://vimeo.com/39018226
glitterbag

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 02:41 am
@Builder,
Oh I’m sorry, you want to counter facts with bullshit??? I momentarily forgot who I was talking at. Go play with a koala or a kangaroo, croc hunter.
glitterbag

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 02:44 am
My apologies in advance to everyone out there not addicted to bullshit. There is only one ‘Aussie’ (sic) who is a slave to Rupert Murdock horse hockey.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 03:13 am
@glitterbag,
I think it's time for Dunny Cop.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 06:50 am
August 1, 2019, Rush Limbaugh to Sean Hannity
Quote:
There is no man-made climate change.
MM