monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Wed 24 Jul, 2019 06:58 pm
@Baldimo,
Thanks.

Related to those two popular strike-type behavior events, Hong Kong is in the street, fighting against overreach by China; Catalonia made a grab for greater autonomy from under the control of the EU...

I feel it's safe to say we are witnessing a trend away from distant political control. I'm just really concerned that climate changes and the collapse of central American countries / infrastructure / something is driving out-of-control immigration -- and these things together may push and magnify these changes we've been seeing.

I'd love to hear what social scientists have to say.
Lash

Wed 24 Jul, 2019 07:15 pm
https://able2know.org/topic/411039-1#post-6876641

Climate guys suggest that you eat, drink, and be merry...

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 Jul, 2019 10:45 pm
https://i.imgur.com/RCDErUhl.jpg

The US presidential seal with an eagle with two heads and holding golf clubs. (In Washington on Tuesday, when Trump spoke to the the conservative group Turning Point USA.)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 12:48 am
@Lash,
Quote:
They're attempting to overthrow their countries' leadership...

So everytime some antifa or another burns a tire in Portland, he is part of this global movement trying to overthrow current leadership?
izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 01:15 am
@Lash,
Have you seen any Brexiteers? They're a bunch of racist scumbags.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 01:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Catalonia made a grab for greater autonomy from under the control of the EU...
Hello? The Catalans are one of the strongest pro-EU regions in all EU-countries.
Many Catalans don't want greater autonomy fro the EU (Catalonia is an autonomous community of Spain, designated as a nationality by its Statute of Autonomy) but independence from Spain.
izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 02:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lash has already made her mind up from the other side of the Atlantic, facts don't come into it.

You can see how Trump got elected.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 03:25 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Meaning focus only on it being the Russians, right?

Meaning don't exclude glaringly obvious causes, such as Russian meddling.
Builder

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 03:44 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Meaning don't exclude glaringly obvious causes

Like you've been doing all along. Psychopathic narcissists are a hard sell at the best of times, but she let down all of her facades to let the American people know exactly what they'd be getting, if they let her have her way.

If, (and it's a big if) the Russian trolls on social media, with a budget of a few hundred grand, had any extra effect on the results of the 2016 election, the people of the US of A should be sending them some thankyou cards, and a few pizza vouchers.
Olivier5

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:01 am
@Builder,
You're thick. I'm not ignoring HRC's inept campaign, I've written many posts about it.

Quote:
the people of the US of A should be sending them some thankyou cards, and a few pizza vouchers.

The people of the US of A are easily manipulated, confused as they are, so confused that they could indeed be sending thank you cards to those rapping them. I bet some Germans sent Danke cards to the führer too, back in the 30's.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:10 am
@izzythepush,
I do know some anti-immigration (xenophobic) people latched on to Brexit. There were other people who just got tired of being bossed around from Brussels. Is that too hard to admit?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:12 am
@Lash,
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Scotland’s nationalist leader warned British Prime Minister Boris Johnson that she would continue preparations for an independence referendum because his Brexit plans would hurt the Scottish economy.

“It is now - more than ever - essential that in Scotland we have an alternative option,” Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said in a letter to Johnson.

“The Scottish government will continue to make preparations to give people in Scotland the choice of becoming an independent country,” she said, adding that the Scottish parliament would consider framework legislation for a referendum after the summer recess.
Reuters
Lash

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, I’m following comments from Scots on Twitter. Interesting to watch the ripple effects.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:23 am
@Olivier5,
Somebody paying you by the word to act like Yellow Vests isn’t happening? Seems like our news media is on that same payroll. Times are weird.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Talking about sentiments like this:

Mr Puigdemont’s remarks feed into a broader frustration felt by many pro-independence Catalans at what they feel is an unjustified refusal by the EU’s institutions and member states to acknowledge their right to self-determination.

They were further angered when Mr Borrell, an outspoken critic of Catalan nationalism, was nominated to be the new EU high representative for foreign affairs.

But some observers have warned that turning against the EU could be counterproductive for the independence movement.

“Two million people who have voted in favour of [pro-independence parties] may feel justifiably let down by the EU machine,” noted Catalan commentator Francesc-Marc Álvaro. “But it would be dangerous for them to join the ranks of Europhobia, a lair where the company is not very pleasant nor the rhetoric very inspiring.”
———————
Did I miss passage of a new EU law against talking about it’s dissenters? Must have.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/catalan-leader-rails-against-eu-as-spain-rules-out-referendum-1.3946875%3fmode=amp

izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:34 am
@Lash,
You're talking rubbish. We have the gutter press slagging off the EU for years, telling lies and disinformation.

When most Brexiteers are asked for examples how the EU bosses us about they can't give any.

With the EU we're treated like equal partners. Compare that to Trump, he wants our NHS, he wants us to pick up the slack and buy a load of substandard foodstuffs rejected by China. He wants to force our children to eat chlorinated chicken and the additive filled muck served up to Americans.

That's telling us what to do, and is just the precursor into turning us into a vassal state.

Better dead than the 51st state.

Lash

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:39 am
@izzythepush,
Is that how you see it—some type of subservience to either trump or the EU? Never just a return to the Britain who handled her own affairs?
Walter Hinteler

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:08 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Did I miss passage of a new EU law against talking about it’s dissenters? Must have.
I think your legal knowledge isn't as good as you pretend.
To what "new EU law" are you referring?
izzythepush

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:10 am
@Lash,
We were never subservient to the EU, but America wants to turn us into a slave nation. Farage has already said he wants American gun laws so the NRA can come over here and butcher our children.
Region Philbis

Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:14 am
on FB, Dan Rather wrote:
The morning session is over, and here are my thoughts:

The Mueller Report is one of the most damning investigations of a sitting administration in recent American history. It was always about the report. Everything was already in the report. And everyone in Congress already knew that. The real action should be by the House of Representatives taking up the baton of accountability, investigation, and justice not asking Robert Mueller to hand them the baton yet again.

It is clear that the President of the United States obstructed justice, but the Special Council felt he could not indict a sitting president under existing legal principle. It is also clear that there were many concerning and meaningful associations between the Trump campaign and the Russians, who were conducting a high-level and sophisticated campaign to undermine American democracy. We heard that today. We knew that before today.

The report does not exonerate the president. Of course it doesn’t. And Robert Mueller made that clear in a headline answer early in his testimony today. Could the president be charged with a crime after he left office? Once again, the answer from Mueller was yes. Did lies from the Trump administration officials impede the investigation? Another yes from Mueller.

But for all who hoped for a grand theatrical moment that crystallized and unified a nation against the outrages of this president, I don’t think any such moment occurred. And probably none should have been expected. We are a deeply divided nation where millions support and normalize the actions of a reckless president.

Mueller was obviously a reluctant witness who refused to paint a colorful sound bite narrative for the Democrats. Time and again he said “I would refer you to the report.” But any careful parsing of his answers would find many

Mueller was also mostly muted and restrained in defending his team and his own actions against the Republican members who waded into the numerous conspiracy theories and distractions that the president’s defenders have long peddled to muddy the investigation. Once again, Mueller understood it was all in the report.

I don’t know what the long-term effect will be of Mueller’s day on Capitol Hill. This moment of history is still being written. To think that Robert Mueller should be the main actor in the drama was always misplaced casting. This was not and should not have been about him. This is about the rule of law. This is about the separation of powers. This is about a reckless president and the confederates who enable him.

Was this an opening act for a rigorous launch of oversight by Congress, which is clearly what Mueller and his team felt was their constitutional duty? Or will it be the capstone on a political calculation by Democratic leadership that impeachment proceedings are unwise for their future electoral prospects?
0 Replies