monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 03:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Nothing violent bout putting up a flag.

When it's a US facility that was already flying the US flag, not violent but wrong. You ignored the Antifa guy who attacked the ICE facility... why am I not surprised. No comment means you agree with his actions but don't want to admit it.

Quote:
It's a political protest is all, and protected free speech.

You also ignored the vandalism to the other flag that was flying with the US flag. Free speech was protesting on the outside of the facility, not gaining access to it and raising the flag of another nation.

Quote:
Or do you hate the constitution as righties so often seem to do?

Don't claim to have respect for something you have already proven to detest and want to fully change. Your continued false understanding of what the Constitution says and means tells me you have no respect for it. I served my country to defend the Constitution, that's more respect then you've shown.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 03:27 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Your best bet might be to stop watching national television.

Haven't watched the idiot box for almost nine years. It's all mudrock press now, anyways. He's not about to expose his partners in crime, now, is he?

Quote:
what planet do you live on?

The one where we expect justice to prevail, and it most certainly isn't the one you're living on.

0 Replies

Builder

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 03:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
George W. Bush deserves the electric chair for causing the death of hundred of thousand of people

And Blair, and Cheney, and Rumsfeldt, and Rice, and Howard, and anyone else who voted to "stay the distance" in that criminal invasion.

Quote:
one dictator.

Thanks for demonstrating your complete ignorance, once again.

Quote:
Against the backdrop of war propaganda, Libya’s economic and social achievements over the last thirty years, have been brutally reversed:

The [Libyan Arab Jamahiriya] has had a high standard of living and a robust per capita daily caloric intake of 3144. The country has made strides in public health and, since 1980, child mortality rates have dropped from 70 per thousand live births to 19 in 2009. Life expectancy has risen from 61 to 74 years of age during the same span of years. (FAO, Rome, Libya, Country Profile,)

The NATO invasion and occupation marks the ruinous “rebirth” of Libya’s standard of living That is the forbidden and unspoken truth: an entire Nation has been destabilized and destroyed, its people driven into abysmal poverty.

The objective of the NATO bombings from the outset was to destroy the country’s standard of living, its health infrastructure, its schools and hospitals, its water distribution system.

And then “rebuild” with the help of donors and creditors under the helm of the IMF and the World Bank.

The diktats of the “free market” are a precondition for the instatement of a Western style “democratic dictatorship “.

About nine thousand strike sorties, tens of thousands of strikes on civilian targets including residential areas, government buildings, water supply and electricity generation facilities. (See NATO Communique, September 5, 2011. 8140 strike sorties from March 31 to September 5, 2011)

An entire nation has been bombed with the most advanced ordnance, including uranium coated ammunition.

Already in August, UNICEF warned that extensive NATO bombing of Libya’s water infrastructure “could turn into an unprecedented health epidemic “ (Christian Balslev-Olesen of UNICEF’s Libya Office, August 2011).

Meanwhile investors and donors have positioned themselves. “War is Good for Business’. NATO, the Pentagon and the Washington based international financial institutions (IFIs) operate in close coordination. What has been destroyed by NATO will be rebuilt, financed by Libya’s external creditors under the helm of the “Washington Consensus”:

source

Which part of that are you thinking was justified? And, in case your ignorance is more complete than I imagined, there's been no attempt at rebuilding anything destroyed in the NATO invasion, and under international law, the invasion had no justification. So who is the dictator in this situation?>
blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 04:34 pm
Worthy of attention. The right wing people are working very hard to reject the notion that Trump is behaving as a racist. Fox is pounding this one. Today, McConnell said he wished both sides would cool the whole racism thing.

They aren't doing this because the idea is wrong. They're doing so because, I have no doubt, they deem it electorally dangerous. Trump's statements and behaviors, the white nationalist contingent, the refusal of Republicans to stand up and criticize Trump, the behaviors and rhetoric surrounding immigrants, the rhetoric around Black Lives Matter, the paucity of people of color in the GOP (not to mention women) make it a hell of a stretch for the GOP to pass itself off as anything but racist. They'll try, of course, but they know this is one issue that could continue to galvanize citizens who vote or might vote for Dem candidates and a Dem president.

Edit: This is perfect
Quote:
It’s obvious the message was racist. Indeed, racists have been using nearly identical phrasing for generations. The challenge for the White House was defending the indefensible and urging the public not to believe their lying eyes.

The official line, evidently, was that Trump wasn’t being racist; he was simply being authoritarian. The whole mess, the argument goes, is just a big misunderstanding, perpetuated by confused people who are too quick to pick on the poor president.

Consider this message Stephanie Grisham, the new White House press secretary, published last night.

Quote:
“So typical to watch the mainstream media and Dems attack [Trump] for speaking directly to the American people. His message is simple: the U.S.A. is the greatest nation on Earth, but if people aren’t happy here they don’t have to stay.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/under-fire-white-house-suggests-trump-hates-dissent-not-women-color#break

0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 04:47 pm
@blatham,
I think this is spot on. I suppose it's how he convinces himself he 'matters'. I don't know what frightens him, but it must be powerful because he lies, he tells outrageous lies to keep people frightened. Maybe its also why he cozies up to some of the most reviled dictators in modern history, he hopes the sheen of savagery will rub off on him. It's nothing all that new, Trump never puts in the work, he just claims unearned glory. He's a fraud.

"Trump is different. He wants to be thought of as dangerous to others. This seems to over-ride everything else. The ambassador got this exactly right."
snood

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 05:32 pm
Credit @djrothkopf:
Yes, It's the racism. But it's not just the racism. It's sex crimes. But it's not just the sex crimes. It's the concentration camps. But it's not just the concentration camps. It's the corruption. But it's not just the corruption. It's being a traitor. But it's not just being a traitor. It's the obstruction of justice, but its not just the obstruction of justice. It's the attacks on rule of law. But it's not just the attacks on the rule of law. It's the assault on freedom of the press. But it's not just the assault on freedom of the press. It's the pathological lying. But it's not just the pathological lying. It's the unfitness for office. But it's not just the unfitness for office. It's the incompetence. But it's not just the incompetence. It's the attacks on our most important allies and alliances. But it's not just the attacks on most important allies and alliances. It's the systematic destruction of our environment. But it's not just the systematic destruction of our environment. It's the violation of international treaties and agreements. But it is not just the violation of international treaties and agreements. It's the embrace of our enemies.

But it is not just the embrace of our enemies. It's the defense of murdering dictators but it is not just the defense of murdering dictators. It is the serial undermining of our national security. But it is not just the serial undermining of our national security. It is the nepotism. But it's not just the nepotism. It's the attacks on our federal law enforcement and intelligence communities. But it is not just the attacks on our federal law enforcement and intelligence communities. It's the fiscal recklessness. But it's not just the fiscal recklessness. It's the degradation of the office and of public discourse in America. But it's not just the degradation of the office and of public discourse in America. It's the support of Nazis and white supremacists.

But it's not just the support of Nazis and white supremacists. It's the dead in Puerto Rico and the at the border. But it's not just the dead in Puerto Rico and at the border. It's turning the US government into a criminal conspiracy to empower and enrich the president and his supporters. But it's not just the turning the US government into a criminal conspiracy to empower and enrich the president and his supporters. It's weaponization of politics in America to attack the weak. But it's not just the weaponization of American politics to attack the weak.

It's all these things together and the threat of worse to come. It is the damage that can not be undone. It is pathology that has overtaken our politics and our society, the revelation that 40 percent of the population and an entire political party are profoundly immoral. It is a disease that has infected our system and is killing it. At the moment, we still have the wherewithal to fight back. But even those who recognize the dangers of this litany of crimes are proving too complacent, too inert in the face of this threat. It is one of those moments in the history of a country when there is a choice to be made, a choice between having a future and not, between growth and decay, between democracy and oligarchy, between what we dreamt of being and what even our founders feared we might become. The litany of crises and crimes is so long that we are becoming numb. You have heard of the fog of war. This is the fog of Trump. The volume of wrongs becomes its own defense. Is the president accused of being a rapist? Well, then remind them he is a racist and they'll forget.

This is a moment for leaders to step up. To challenge each of these abuses via every legal means available. To organize and draw attention to them. To blow the whistle if you are in government and you are being asked to violate your oath. To resist and refuse to be complicit. If you can't do those things that make your voice heard and join a movement, support a political candidate, donate money, register voters, fight voter suppression. But whatever you do, resist becoming numb. Resist the temptation to let the recitation of old crimes and new......become a deadening drone. Every one matters in times like these. Every one must stand up for what is right. In their homes. In their schools. In the workplace. In their churches and synagogues and mosques.

We are approaching a great national decision about whether the American experiment will succeed or fail, whether this moment does what two world wars, a civil war and countless past misjudgments and missteps could not. We will make it together, resist, offer a better alternative, embrace that alternative and the best leaders we can find...or succumb, let the inertia of some among us mark the end of what for two and half centuries was an idea so compelling it inspired the world. (Credit David Rothkopf) #StayWoke
glitterbag

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 06:31 pm
@snood,
Wow!
Olivier5

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 12:53 am
@Builder,
I never said the bombing of Kadafi regime was a good idea. Or maybe I did at some point when it happened but quickly realised that it was ******* up this part of the world way beyond Libya. But I don't care for Kadafi's death much.

My point is that among all the injustice around, there's no reason I can see to obsess about Hillary Clinton's. The danger presently lies in Trump. And then most of the repukes party is downright criminal, the rest is idiotic. They are screwing the rntire planet for money, but they DO want you to focus on Hillary, thank you very much...

Builder

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:04 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I never said the bombing of Kadafi regime was a good idea. Or maybe I did at some point

Hmmmm, don't know if you're artie or martie?

Why does this not surprise me at all?
glitterbag

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:11 am
@Olivier5,
Here's what you're missing: Hillary is bright, accomplished and a Democrat. Certain Republicans can't stand that, they desperately want her to be identified as evil...because then they think it gives them free reign to subject this country to authoritarianism...you know...Trump molests women (hohum no biggie)...Hillary (lock her up)( ran a fictitious child slave ring out of a non-existant basement in a pizza joint.) See...it equals out..at least in the minds of loathsome people, like McConnell, Ted Cruz, that frigging asshole Lindsey Graham and just too many to list...
Builder

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:16 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Hillary is bright, accomplished and a Democrat.

I can list her career criminal activity for the audience, if you prefer.
glitterbag

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:22 am
@Builder,
Why are you always so dense. Start your own thread about Hating America or Freedom or whatever floats your boat.....and stop whining for Christ's sake, its unbecoming.

I would love to see what you've been brainwashed into believing her "career criminal activity" actually is....we can all get a good laugh. Just print it all out on a paper towel, then roll it up tightly and then shove it way up where the sun don't shine.
Builder

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:29 am
@glitterbag,
So you have the internet, but not quite sure how it works?

Hmmm, that doesn't surprise me much, going on your past input.

0 Replies

Builder

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 01:57 am
@glitterbag,
You're about as effective as the French quarter in posting anything of note on this board, meaning wholly and soully ineffective.

Nice try, kids, but best you get a new party plan.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 02:57 am
@blatham,
Quote:
A couple of quibbles: First, though it is necessary to understand the broad dynamics of Taibbi's or Chomski's indictments, maintaining that framing of the subject tends to gloss over the real differences in media voices. Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity are not the same (nor are those who employ them). Taibbi and Limbaugh are not the same.

Not to delve into this too deeply, but I suspect that what he's getting at is similar to some of the Frankfurt School criticism. The form of our political culture is corrupted and debased by using a platform so intimately connected with the culture industry — taste-making and money-making. When I mildly criticized Maddow a few months ago it was for that — yup, definitely not Hannity, but I still see the signs of Madison Avenue and Hollywood. The artful pause, the coy tilt of the head, the dramatic revelation, that sort of thing. It all blurs together in the collective mind as packaged opinion waiting to be consumed.
hightor

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 03:04 am
‘Trump’s Going to Get Re-elected, Isn’t He?’

Voters have reason to worry.

Quote:
I’m struck at how many people have come up to me recently and said, “Trump’s going to get re-elected, isn’t he?” And in each case, when I drilled down to ask why, I bumped into the Democratic presidential debates in June. I think a lot of Americans were shocked by some of the things they heard there. I was.

I was shocked that so many candidates in the party whose nominee I was planning to support want to get rid of the private health insurance covering some 250 million Americans and have “Medicare for all” instead. I think we should strengthen Obamacare and eventually add a public option.

I was shocked that so many were ready to decriminalize illegal entry into our country. I think people should have to ring the doorbell before they enter my house or my country.

I was shocked at all those hands raised in support of providing comprehensive health coverage to undocumented immigrants. I think promises we’ve made to our fellow Americans should take priority, like to veterans in need of better health care.

And I was shocked by how feeble was front-runner Joe Biden’s response to the attack from Kamala Harris — and to the more extreme ideas promoted by those to his left.

So, I wasn’t surprised to hear so many people expressing fear that the racist, divisive, climate-change-denying, woman-abusing jerk who is our president was going to get re-elected, and was even seeing his poll numbers rise.

Dear Democrats: This is not complicated! Just nominate a decent, sane person, one committed to reunifying the country and creating more good jobs, a person who can gain the support of the independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women who abandoned Donald Trump in the midterms and thus swung the House of Representatives to the Democrats and could do the same for the presidency. And that candidate can win!

But please, spare me the revolution! It can wait. Win the presidency, hold the House and narrow the spread in the Senate, and a lot of good things still can be accomplished. “No,” you say, “the left wants a revolution now!” O.K., I’ll give the left a revolution now: four more years of Donald Trump.

That will be a revolution.

Four years of Trump feeling validated in all the crazy stuff he’s done and said. Four years of Trump unburdened by the need to run for re-election and able to amplify his racism, make Ivanka secretary of state, appoint even more crackpots to his cabinet and likely get to name two right-wing Supreme Court justices under the age of 40.

Yes sir, that will be a revolution!

It will be an overthrow of all the norms, values, rules and institutions that we cherish, that made us who we are and that have united us in this common project called the United States of America.

If the fear of that doesn’t motivate the Democratic Party’s base, then shame on those people. Not all elections are equal. Some elections are a vote for great changes — like the Great Society. Others are a vote to save the country. This election is the latter.

That doesn’t mean a Democratic candidate should stand for nothing, just keep it simple: Focus on building national unity and good jobs.

I say national unity because many Americans are terrified and troubled by how bitterly divided, and therefore paralyzed, the country has become. There is an opening for a unifier.

And I say good jobs because when the wealth of the top 1 percent equals that of the bottom 90 percent, we do have to redivide the pie. I favor raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans to subsidize universal pre-K education and to reduce the burden of student loans. Let’s give kids a head start and college grads a fresh start.

But I’m disturbed that so few of the Democratic candidates don’t also talk about growing the pie, let alone celebrating American entrepreneurs and risk-takers. Where do they think jobs come from?

The winning message is to double down on redividing the pie in ways that give everyone an opportunity for a slice while also growing the pie sustainably.

Trump is growing the pie by cannibalizing the future. He is creating a growth spurt by building up enormous financial and carbon debts that our kids will pay for.

Democrats should focus on how we create sustainable wealth and good jobs, which is the American public-private partnership model: Government enriches the soil and entrepreneurs grow the companies.

It has always been what’s made us rich, and we’ve drifted away from it: investing in quality education and basic scientific research; promulgating the right laws and regulations to incentivize risk-taking and prevent recklessness and monopolies that can cripple free markets; encouraging legal immigration of both high-energy and high-I.Q. foreigners; and building the world’s best enabling infrastructure — ports, roads, bandwidth and basic social safety nets.

Ask Gina Raimondo, Rhode Island’s governor, and my kind of Democrat. She was just elected in 2018 for a second term. In both her elections she had to win a primary against a more-left Democrat. When Raimondo took office in 2015, Rhode Island had unemployment near 7 percent, and over 20 percent in some of the building trades.

“When I ran in 2014, there was a temptation to appeal to particular constituencies — gun safety, choice, all things that I believe in,” Raimondo recalled. “I resisted that temptation because I felt the single greatest issue was economic insecurity and people who were afraid they were never going to get a job. So I said there are not three or four issues, there’s one issue: jobs.” Unemployment in Rhode Island today is about 3.6 percent.

Raimondo has faced a constant refrain from critics on her left that she is too close to business. “I created an incentive program for companies to get a tax subsidy if they created jobs that pay above our state’s median income or jobs in advanced industries,” she noted. “I have cut small-business taxes two years in a row since 2015. I am not ashamed of any of that.”

Because, she continued, “I listen to people every day, and you hear what they are worried about. People say to me, ‘Governor, I just got a real job.’ And I’d ask them, ‘What is a real job?’ And they’d say, ‘It’s a job where I can support my family with real benefits.’ So I named our state job-training program ‘Real Jobs Rhode Island.’” It will be impossible to “sustain a vibrant democracy with this level of inequality.”

The right answer is to reinvigorate the key elements of a healthy public-private partnership, said Raimondo: higher taxes on wealthier people, more investments in affordable housing, infrastructure and universal pre-K, and empowering the private sector to create more real jobs — “so that no one who is working full time at any job should have to collect Medicaid and need food stamps to make ends meet.”

Concluded Raimondo: “I am no apologist for a brand of capitalism that leads to unsustainable inequality. But I do believe a more responsible capitalism is necessary for growth. We need to redivide the pie and grow the pie. I am a ‘pro-growth Democrat.’ I am for growing the pie as long as everyone has a shot at getting their slice.”

That’s a simple message that can connect with enough Democrats — as well as independents, moderate Republicans and suburban women — to win the White House.

nyt/friedman

Olivier5

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 03:27 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Why does this not surprise me

You've lost the capacity for surprise, because you cannot consider or process ideas that contradict your worldview.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 03:38 am
@glitterbag,
I don't even think Hillary is particularly bright. She didn't even see Trump coming. A freak footnote in history is what she is.

This said, you're probly right the reason why the cretins keep obsessing about her is that she's their excuse for Trump, their apparent reason to support Trump. She's the equivalent of Emmanuel Goldstein in 1984, whom the people are encouraged to hate as strongly as they can, in order to reinforce their ideological unity and allegiance to Big Brother.
snood

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 05:05 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I don't even think Hillary is particularly bright. She didn't even see Trump coming. A freak footnote in history is what she is.

This said, you're probly right the reason why the cretins keep obsessing about her is that she's their excuse for Trump, their apparent reason to support Trump. She's the equivalent of Emmanuel Goldstein in 1984, whom the people are encouraged to hate as strongly as they can, in order to reinforce their ideological unity and allegiance to Big Brother.

An honest assessment of the widespread shock on the morning of November 9, 2016 would tell you that Hillary Clinton wasn’t the exception in “not seeing Trump coming”. Pundits, politicians and rank-and-file folks all over the country (even Trump himself by most accounts) did not think Trump would win - right up until he won. So you’re saying they all weren’t “particularly bright”?
snood

Wed 17 Jul, 2019 05:21 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
A couple of quibbles: First, though it is necessary to understand the broad dynamics of Taibbi's or Chomski's indictments, maintaining that framing of the subject tends to gloss over the real differences in media voices. Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity are not the same (nor are those who employ them). Taibbi and Limbaugh are not the same.

Not to delve into this too deeply, but I suspect that what he's getting at is similar to some of the Frankfurt School criticism. The form of our political culture is corrupted and debased by using a platform so intimately connected with the culture industry — taste-making and money-making. When I mildly criticized Maddow a few months ago it was for that — yup, definitely not Hannity, but I still see the signs of Madison Avenue and Hollywood. The artful pause, the coy tilt of the head, the dramatic revelation, that sort of thing. It all blurs together in the collective mind as packaged opinion waiting to be consumed.

I’ve followed Maddow since she was an up and coming radio broadcaster on Air America. I’ve seen the change in her content and delivery and I think you’re right that it’s the taint of 24-hour-cable-news-Hollywood-hucksterism.