monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 04:15 am
@hightor,
It's not an obsession to expect justice, when a formerly prosperous and hugely progressive nation gets destroyed by a narcissistic ladder-climber, and she openly laughs about the murder she orchestrated, on national television.

hightor

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 04:53 am
@Builder,
Quote:
It's not an obsession to expect justice (...)

No, it's just naïve — what planet do you live on? Your best bet might be to stop watching national television.
Olivier5

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 05:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
It's not an obsession to expect justice (...)

No, it's just naïve — what planet do you live on? Your best bet might be to stop watching national television.

Right. George W. Bush deserves the electric chair for causing the death of hundred of thousand of people, but who cares? Builder would rather get all excited about linking HRC to the death of one dictator...
Olivier5

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 07:46 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-UeAL-XYAEPxLW?format=jpg&name=small
Walter Hinteler

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 08:50 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday pressured fellow Republicans not to back House Democrats’ resolution to condemn his repeated attacks on four minority congresswomen, saying he was not a racist and tying the issue to his 2020 re-election bid.

“Those Tweets were NOT Racist. I don’t have a Racist bone in my body! The so-called vote to be taken is a Democrat con game. Republicans should not show ‘weakness’ and fall into their trap,” Trump tweeted.
Reuters
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/sJtpwnXl.jpg

Walter Hinteler

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 10:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A dubious poll casting Democrats in a bad light? Surprising it took Trump so long to tweet about it.
Quote:
[...]
“Omar is polling at 8%, Cortez at 21%,” he wrote. “Nancy Pelosi tried to push them away, but now they are forever wedded to the Democrat Party. See you in 2020!”

Eight percent approval? Twenty-one percent? Those are dire numbers. No wonder Trump feels confident that these members of Congress — Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) — are a drag on their party.

It’s just that once we brush the dust off those numbers, they take on a slightly different sheen.

Trump is referring to polling reported by Axios on Sunday. The site was presented with May numbers measuring views of the two lawmakers, neither of whom fared well. Only 22 percent of respondents saw Ocasio-Cortez in a favorable light while only 9 percent said the same of Omar. (Trump, in classic Trump style, decided to knock a percentage point off each number.)

Now, the giant asterisk.

his was a poll not of Americans on the whole but, instead, of “likely general-election voters who are white and have two years or less of college education.” In other words, a poll of a group who in 2016 voted for Trump by a more than 2-to-1 margin, according to exit polls.

HuffPost’s Ariel Edwards-Levy, the site’s polling editor, eviscerated the poll on Monday. She noted the lack of transparency around question wording, the limited pool of respondents, the lack of context relative to other elected officials and the geography of where the poll was conducted, among other things.

In other words, what we know about the poll is what the group sharing it — a Democratic group with obvious antipathy to the attention Ocasio-Cortez and Omar are drawing — decided to give to Axios.

Even within those numbers, though, there are some important considerations. A quarter of respondents weren’t familiar with Ocasio-Cortez, and half weren’t familiar with Omar. Meaning that Omar, for example, could be twice as popular as stated once the rest of the population gets to know her. (Nine percent approval in a sample where only half has any opinion implies a possible 18 percent approval if everyone does.)

Except that awareness of Ocasio-Cortez and Omar might be skewed to people who don’t like them — because they’ve seen negative coverage of the two on Fox News and in conservative media.
... ... ...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 11:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
William Barr...

Is he the next to be replaced?

Barr is likely safe as long as Trump needs his legal protection. Beyond that, he could end up leaving faster than a down-drop roller coaster.
blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 11:54 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
BRING SANITY BACK TP DC. MEGAN RAPINOE FOR PRESIDENT ON THE SOCCER PARTY TICKET 2020
Yes. She's a smart, strong individual, that one. Very impressive in interviews. I'm in love.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 11:56 am
@Sturgis,
One of the best responses to Trump's desperate attempts to destroy the principles of the United States is Flowing Data's ...

https://i.imgur.com/O5WFQ29.jpg

... >If We All Left to “Go Back Where We Came From”<

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Welcome back, man!

Thank you. Not sure how much I'll contribute. I've been seeking to avoid circumstances and situations which might remind me that I'm a member of our blighted species.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:20 pm
In the print version of CNN i happened upon this item regarding George Will's assessment of Trump

(Will was being interviewed and speaking for The New York Times Book Review podcast)

www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/donald-trump-george-will-presidency/index.html

Quote:
I believe that what this president has done to our culture, to our civic discourse...you cannot unring these bells and you cannot unsay what he has said, and you cannot change that he has now in a very short time made it seem normal for schoolboy taunts and obvious lies to be spun out in a constant stream. I think this will do more lasting damage than Richard Nixon's surreptitious burglaries did.

When a conservative such as Will speaks this way, it speaks volumes about how many, including on the right, are getting angry and frustrated with the current White House resident.
blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:51 pm
@hightor,
Good to see you too, as always.

It's pretty difficult to argue against Taibbi's indictment. I've been concerned that even if we somehow moved into a future where the Dems are as sane as we might hope and hold overwhelming power and operate productively in good faith, then what is this huge news media machinery going to do to maintain financial viability?

It's a problem similar to (and related to) attempting to institute substantial electoral financing reforms - there are billions and billions of dollars being made by the wide range of industries and entities involved in US elections.

And that's not even to mention the peripheral aspect of, for example, entities like the NRA or Franklin Graham or Pat Roberts pulling in billions in donations under the pretense that Satan is at the door.

A couple of quibbles: First, though it is necessary to understand the broad dynamics of Taibbi's or Chomski's indictments, maintaining that framing of the subject tends to gloss over the real differences in media voices. Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity are not the same (nor are those who employ them). Taibbi and Limbaugh are not the same.

Second, though it is dangerous to challenge Chomsky, consensus will always have to be manufactured as a defining and fundamental reality of group life. Without agreements, the terms "group" or "community" or any such necessarily lose all meaning. (It's been 30 - 40 years since I read Manufacturing Consent and Chomsky might have spoken to this.)

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 12:55 pm
@nimh,
Thank you. Might be another one-night stand.

Wouldn't "one-night recline" be more appropriate?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:01 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
We're really in the midst of a post-truth world,
Brave of you to stand up and be counted.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
i miss my dad, but i'm glad he didn't live to see this abomination of a presidency...

No kidding. And I expect our kids will one day be even more pleased we aren't witnessing what is happening.

I'll have more happy thoughts in a minute after my flywheel ramps up again.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Attorney General William P. Barr condemned anti-Semitism and racism in a speech Monday at the Justice Department — comments that came a day after President Trump declared that some minority lawmakers should leave the country.
Attorney General William P. Barr wrote:
Quote:
My concern today is that under the banner of identity politics, some political factions are seeking to obtain power by dividing Americans, and they undermine the values that draw us together, such as a shared commitment to our country’s success.

Is he the next to be replaced?

No. This is really not a criticism of Trump at all. It is an attempt to excuse him through claiming that racism is created and fostered by those who decry racism. This is now one of the most standard right wing tropes and accounts for about 80% of what comes out of Tucker Carlson's mouth.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:34 pm
@snood,
Quote:
The murderous nazi who mowed down people with his car in Charlottesville just received a sentence of life +419 years.

A little bit of justice.

RIP Heather Heyer

This is such a horrid and sad story. A couple of weeks ago, I re-watched Schindler's List. It was impossible to miss parallels between then and there to here and now.
blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:37 pm
@Olivier5,
The only element that the cartoonist got wrong was Trump asking.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:44 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I believe that what this president has done to our culture, to our civic discourse...you cannot unring these bells and you cannot unsay what he has said, and you cannot change that he has now in a very short time made it seem normal for schoolboy taunts and obvious lies to be spun out in a constant stream. I think this will do more lasting damage than Richard Nixon's surreptitious burglaries did.
I have never been a fan of George Will, imagining he would be most comfortable beneath a powdered wig in a 19th century French court.

But he (and a very few others) apparently has enough principle and integrity to view these matters honestly.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 16 Jul, 2019 02:28 pm
There was an earlier mention of the Brit ambassador's memo stating that Trump was engaging in diplomatic vandalism to spite Obama. There's damned good reason to believe this is exactly correct. Trump's behavior in office has been marked by various tendencies of mind but shafting Obama and cancelling his legacy has been foremost.

We know Trump is far and away the most vengeance-driven of anyone we've ever seen in the White House (or heading up any western government that I can think of) in our lifetimes. No one else comes close. He manifests this every day with insults and derogations of anyone who criticizes or makes fun of him and with penalties where he can apply them. He is a bully and a sociopath but is his own unique version of the thing.

The source of Trump's ire towards Obama isn't certain but it likely is grounded in how Obama spoke about Trump at the Correspondent's Dinner. Trump was laughed at, by everyone, in a very public setting - the top media people, celebrities, etc and then it was, of course, broadcast on TV news and in the press across late night comedy shows.

I was thinking about this the other day. Actually, I was thinking about how people try to weigh their contributions or their influence on others around them in life. Nurses, teachers, social workers, doctors, etc mostly, I think, wish to believe that they have been helpful to others. And it is not that this is delusional at all. Humorists likely wish that their contributions to others have made life a bit more fun for all. Artist will surely hope their art elevates or makes more clear that which is otherwise foggy or unclarified or previously unimaged. One can go through a list of professions or activities and work this through. We undoubtedly all weigh how we hope our words and acts influence others. We make guesses about how others think of us based on what we do and say. And all of this about how we relate to those around us and how we want to be as persons and how we wish others to regard us.

Trump is different. He wants to be thought of as dangerous to others. This seems to over-ride everything else. The ambassador got this exactly right.
0 Replies