monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Newt Gingrich, a former House speaker and informal Trump adviser, said, “Sessions is the person who is comfortable being an outsider to the establishment but able to explain the establishment to Trump. There is this New York-Los Angeles bias that if you sound like Alabama, you can’t be all that bright, but that’s totally wrong, and Trump recognized how genuinely smart Sessions is.”

In his senior staff meetings, Trump talks about Sessions as someone who “gets things done,” calmly and without fanfare, said Kellyanne Conway, the White House counselor.

“He does it in a very courtly, deliberative manner,” she said. “There’s never a cloud of dust or dramatic flourish.”

“It’s like being a guerrilla in the hinterlands preparing for the next hopeless assault on the government,” said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a conservative research institute. “Then you get a message that the capital has fallen.”

Jeff DA MAN, eh!?

America First, Baby!
0 Replies

Frugal1

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:40 pm
@blatham,
Whatever happened to the Brit series Misfits?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.nytimes.com/subscriptions/Multiproduct/lp89F48.html?adxc=285183&adxa=415647&page=myaccount.nytimes.com/mobile/wall&pos=Gateway&campaignId=6JXRR
layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:59 pm
Quote:
Sessions helped devise Trump’s first-week strategy, in which the president signed a blizzard of executive orders that begin to fulfill his signature campaign promises — although he had advocated going even faster.

The senator lobbied for a “shock-and-awe” period of executive action that would rattle Congress, impress Trump’s base and catch his critics unaware, according to two officials involved in the transition planning.

Trump opted for a slightly slower pace, these officials said, because he wanted to maximize news coverage by spreading out his directives over several weeks.

There are pros and cons to both Ali's "rope-a-dope" strategies and Tysons's "Knock they sorry ass clean OUT in the first fuckin round" approach.

Trump's probably right. Giving the media more opportunities to defeat themselves with their hysterical, irrational bellowing will probably be most effective in the long run.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry, wrong link above.
oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:02 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Bannon is Putin's boy, and you're putting him in the Inner Sanctum. Heaven help us all.

I was faced with a choice between "voting for a candidate and party who are devoted to protecting my Second Amendment rights" and "voting for a candidate and party who are devoted to annihilating my Second Amendment rights, and were poised on the verge of doing so".

I had to protect my freedom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Many are still questioning the atomic bombing of Japan.

Do they also question the incendiary bombing of Tokyo where about the same number of people were burned alive?
There is no logic to the special consideration of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Most anti-war scum probably are not even aware of the conventional bombing of Japan during WWII.

But they would surely oppose it if they knew about it. They oppose all wars that defend the cause of freedom and democracy.

Leadfoot wrote:
Nor is there any to that for civilians in that war. Civilians are the ones who hire the 'hitmen' to do their wet work for them. We prosecute those who engage in murder for hire, why should war be any different?

Civilians are a non-issue in any case. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets.
oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:08 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Our country fucked up a lot of countries. Killed many innocent people. Many are still questioning the atomic bombing of Japan.

I'm sure the potential 1 million American servicemen who would have died in an invasion of Japan didn't question ****...Nor did their mothers.

I've nothing to add. But your post bears repeating.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
You don't value human life; scum.

Apparently you value the lives of fanatical Japanese soldiers who continually violated the Geneva Convention over the million American lives that would have been lost putting an end to Japan's treachery. And you are calling Frug scum? A patriot you're not.

It is the nature of anti-war protesters. Their anti-war position only opposes military action that defends freedom and democracy.

War crimes and atrocities carried out against freedom and democracy, that the anti-war protesters embrace wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:10 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Any chance we can lay off the personal insults?

Says the guy who engages in atrocious personal attacks against anyone who posts a viewpoint that requires him to think.

Hypocrisy anyone?
oralloy

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You can challenge my posts all day long, but you'll just waste your time. This is a free speech country. When I see stupid, I'm going to challenge it.

The problem is, you didn't see stupid. Rather, you failed to understand his post.

So you are calling other people stupid because YOU didn't understand something.

McGentrix posted something that is known as a joke.

You see, Mr. Trump has been accused of exaggerating figures (such as the number of people who attended his inauguration).

McGentrix's post made claims about Mr. Trump that were exaggerated beyond the realm of plausibility, as a way of poking fun at Mr. Trump's own alleged exaggerations.

(I'm not actually sure if McGentrix created the graphic, or if he just saw something funny and passed it along to us.)

(I'm also not paying enough attention to the news to know if Mr. Trump is actually exaggerating or is being wrongly accused, so I'm going to call it alleged exaggeration.)
0 Replies

layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Civilians are a non-issue in any case. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets.

Sorry, but you said this twice now, and it is misleading.

It's true that Truman announced it as "military base."

But history shows that the bombs were not aimed at military bases, even though there might have been some in the general vicinity.

Essentially, the bombs were dropped on "the city" with the purpose of causing as much demoralizing destruction as possible.

Japanese civilians tended to be just as fanatical as the military. Whole Japanese families were jumping off cliffs in the the mariana islands and elsewhere when we were fighting there. Women would first throw their babies to their death, before jumping themselves. They would rather die than surrender.

This is a primary reason why the estimated US casualties resulting from an invasion of Japan was in the millions. They japs could be expected to fight, door to door, to the death, whether civilian or military.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 06:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.google.com/amp/www.theblaze.com/news/2017/01/30/gallup-donald-trump-reaches-majority-disapproval-rating-in-record-time/amp/?client=safari
layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:25 pm
From wiki:

Quote:
“Koichi Kido, one of Emperor Hirohito's closest advisors, stated: "We of the peace party were assisted by the atomic bomb in our endeavor to end the war." Hisatsune Sakomizu, the chief Cabinet secretary in 1945, called the bombing "a golden opportunity given by heaven for Japan to end the war."

"Given by heaven," eh? The A-bombs saved a lot more lives, American, Japanese, and others than they "cost."

Quote:
Waiting for the Japanese to surrender was not a cost-free option: as a result of the war, noncombatants were dying throughout Asia at a rate of about 200,000 per month.”

Japanese War Ministry on August 1, 1944 ordered disposal and execution of all Allied POWs, numbering over 100,000, if an invasion of the Japanese mainland took place. (It is also likely that, considering Japan's previous treatment of POWs, were the Allies to wait out Japan and starve it, the Japanese would have killed all Allied POWs and Chinese prisoners.)”

Cheese-eaters never think about the over-all practical consequences that indulging their superficial, "holier-than-thou" hand-wringing whining would have.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:06 pm
Judge Pirro ROCKS!

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Gallup: Trump disapproval at record 60%

By Paul Bedard (@SecretsBedard) • 1/31/16 1:23 PM

I'm guessing this is just the beginning of his downward spiral.
cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Slate: Trump election proved US as 'unjust, racist, sexist'

By Paul Bedard (@SecretsBedard) • 12/29/16 10:38 AM

And bigoted.
layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You think Trump give's a rat's ass? He admires Lincoln, aincha heard?

Quote:
“I do not listen to every criticism, let alone act on them. I have learned to do my best, and if the end result is good then I do not care for any criticism, but if the end result is not good, then even the praise of ten angels would not make the difference.”

“I desire to so conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end, when I come to lay down the reins of power, I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me.” (Abe Lincoln)

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
layman, Please continue to read my posts, because I have you on Ignore.
Thank you.
layman

Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Heh. Nice to have a "safe space" to cower in, I'm sure.
0 Replies