monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Thu 23 May, 2019 03:28 am
Profits over people!

Scientists discover China has been secretly emitting banned ozone-depleting gas

Scientists found that between 40 and 60 per cent of the total global CFC-11 emissions originated from eastern China

Quote:
A chemical banned around the globe for the last 30 years has made an unfortunate resurgence. And all signs, in a new study, point to China as the culprit.

In the 1980s, countries came together to sign The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, a landmark treaty designed to halt and reduce the production of chlorofluorocarbons (CFC), chemicals used in fridges and foams that had the side effect of tearing through the Earth’s ozone layer.

The Montreal Protocol has been signed by 197 countries around the world, including Canada, the U.S., and China. As the ozone layer in our upper atmosphere slowly depleted — letting in an increasing amount of the sun’s ultraviolet rays — the protocol contributed to a significant reduction in harmful CFCs, which then allowed for a slow healing of the damaged ozone layer.

That is until last year, when scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association found that global emissions of Trichlorofluoromethane (CFC-11) have actually been increasing since 2013.

The increase implied that someone was secretly violating the Montreal Protocol. But the limitations of measuring devices meant the location of the polluter could only be traced to somewhere in east Asia.

Now, in a new study published in Nature on May 22, scientists from the University of Bristol, Kyungpook National University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology found that between 40 and 60 per cent of total global CFC-11 emissions originate from eastern China.

With the help of an international network of measurement devices designed to identify and track gases in the atmosphere, the team behind the study found that data from their devices in Korea and Japan has spiked since 2013. After analyzing weather and wind patterns to determine the origin of the gas increase, it led them to eastern mainland China, around the Shandong province.

“It wasn’t entirely a surprise,” said Matthew Rigby, lead author of the study and Reader in Atmospheric Chemistry in the School of Chemistry at the University of Bristol. A few months after the initial report was released last year, both the Environmental Investigation Agency and the New York Times published reports in which Chinese manufacturers in the region confirmed they were using CFC-11 in the production of foams

Manufacturers told the EIA they continued to use the banned product because of its better quality and cheaper price[!]. The New York Times reported that some factories were producing the gas in secret, while other manufacturers said the local governments turned a blind eye.

However, Rigby said scientists and watchdogs didn’t know just how much manufacturers in China were emitting — about 7,000 tonnes of CFC-11 since 2013 in that area alone.

“That’s more than double the emissions we were expecting from China at the time,” he said. “Was this enough to account for a substantial fraction of the global emissions rise that we saw? What we’ve found in this study is that, yes, it is globally significant.”

Rigby also mentions that CFC-11 is a greenhouse gas, about “5,000 times more potent than carbon dioxide at warming the climate.”

The Chinese government has been cracking down on illegal CFC-11 manufacturers and shutting down production facilities and Rigby hopes this new study will help law enforcement officials in their search for illicit producers.

Due to the limited locations of their monitoring network, Rigby said the study team cannot conclusively determine where the rest of the CFC emissions are coming from, pointing out they have no information on regions such as South America, western China and India.

According to a 2018 United Nations report, due to the progress of the Montreal Protocol, the huge ozone hole that forms above Antarctica could be completely healed by the mid-century.

But Rigby said if the increased emissions from eastern China aren’t stopped soon, the healing process could be delayed by “potentially decades.”

nationalpost
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 03:40 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
This has to be the most ridiculous line of horsecrap you have ever spouted on this forum.

Funny how you were unable to point out any errors in my post.

glitterbag wrote:
You know absolutely zippo about the former USSR and the current Russia and this ignorance of reality is glaringly apparent.

Your failure to point out any errors says otherwise.

glitterbag wrote:
Shame on you....usually I just ignore your silly twaddle, but this is a bridge too far .. even for you.
I wouldn't have even seen this outrage but someone else quoted it...If your ultimate goal is to sound like the world's biggest dope, congratulations.

Leftists can have the most vehement reactions to the posting of facts sometimes.

glitterbag wrote:
If you are tired of sounding dumb, get educated, go to a library for chart's sake, it's free.
Shame on you.

Pointing out facts that make you unhappy does not make me sound dumb.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 03:41 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
He sports the ignorance trifecta. He’s glaringly ignorant. He’s proud of his ignorance. He’s in total denial of his ignorance.

Your failure to point out any of my supposed errors speaks for itself.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 05:32 am
@oralloy,
The rest of the world sees the breakup of the Soviet Union as the Eastern European countries forced into the USSR after WWII and finally escaping hated Russian domination and eager to join NATO so Russia couldn't redominate them. Oralloy sees it as a nefarious Democratic plot to screw Russia out of what it regards as its perfectly proper and legitimate sphere of influence and restart the the Cold War. I prefer the rest of the world.. Oralloy as usual wants to rewrite history to his own peculiar liking.
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 05:45 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The rest of the world sees the breakup of the Soviet Union as the Eastern European countries forced into the USSR after WWII and finally escaping hated Russian domination and eager to join NATO so Russia couldn't redominate them. Oralloy sees it as a nefarious Democratic plot to screw Russia out of what it regards as its perfectly proper and legitimate sphere of influence and restart the the Cold War.

Nonsense. I was not referring to the breakup of the Soviet Union, but to the subsequent pushing of NATO up towards Russia's borders in violation of our promises not to do so.

MontereyJack wrote:
I prefer the rest of the world..

You're just hoping to provoke a nuclear war because you want to see America get destroyed. It's a common leftest tendency.

During the Cold War leftists actually tried to undermine the West and support the Soviets in the hopes of seeing the US be destroyed one day. It was a bitter blow for the left when the Cold War ended without America being destroyed.

MontereyJack wrote:
Oralloy as usual wants to rewrite history to his own peculiar liking.

You cannot point out a single historical fact that I am wrong about.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 06:01 am
@oralloy,
You must be blind. Your "facts" are not. You have never once been correct about the left. The ex-SSRS as once again free and independent countries had a perfect right to join NATO. They wanted to. They were not "pushed" to do so. When did you become a Russian troll?
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 06:24 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
You must be blind. Your "facts" are not.

Your failure to point out any of my alleged errors speaks for itself.

MontereyJack wrote:
You have never once been correct about the left.

Of course I have. If "the left's perpetual undermining of our struggle against Communism during the Cold War" was for any reason other than a desire to see America destroyed, what is that alternative motivation?

If "the left's attempts to ban pistol grips on rifles" are for any reason other than a desire to violate people's civil liberties for fun, what is that alternative motivation?

MontereyJack wrote:
The ex-SSRS as once again free and independent countries had a perfect right to join NATO. They wanted to. They were not "pushed" to do so.

You really want to see the US destroyed in a nuclear war don't you?

Do you also oppose Trump's efforts to strengthen our nuclear arsenal?

MontereyJack wrote:
When did you become a Russian troll?

It is a compliment to Russia that you associate them with the posting of facts.
izzythepush

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:18 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Oralloy as usual wants to rewrite history to his own peculiar liking.

Chief being that Russia and the US were at war prior to Trump becoming president, otherwise how could Trump 'make peace?'
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
"Making peace" refers to ending the new cold war that the Democrats have started with Russia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:38 am
The slow-motion lynching of an American hero:
http://apnews.com/69ae3f174b4741edaa3a68af9ad1ee98
http://apnews.com/1903161fb60848a7851e68b25167f73b
http://apnews.com/ce589240fb884eceab7eaba2bfdff9e2

Being a police officer in a leftist stronghold has got to be the worst job in the world.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:45 am
@oralloy,
blah blah blah. always and only blah blah blah. do try to talk sense occasionally.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:49 am
@oralloy,
killing someone whose only offense was selling a few loose cigarettes is not the action of a responsible police officer or anyone who should be on any police force.
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:52 am
@MontereyJack,
It was hardly a deliberate killing. It was an accidental death caused entirely by the suspect struggling and resisting arrest.
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 07:53 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
blah blah blah. always and only blah blah blah. do try to talk sense occasionally.

Your failure to point out anything that I am wrong about is duly noted.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:03 am
@oralloy,
you're wrong about "about leftists, pistol grips, and Russia and the US. Your views are the product of your own imagination not reality.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:08 am
@oralloy,
No. Egregiously bad violent police procedure for an attempted arrest that should never have happened in the first place.
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:12 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm not surprised to see leftists state that criminals shouldn't be arrested. Like I said, being a police officer in a leftist stronghold must be the worst job in the world.

There was nothing wrong with police procedure. It is hardly the police's fault that this guy struggled and resisted arrest.
MontereyJack

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:13 am
@oralloy,
when did you become putin's lap dog along with trump?
oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:14 am
@MontereyJack,
It is a compliment to Russia that you associate them with the posting of facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 23 May, 2019 08:15 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
you're wrong about "about leftists, pistol grips,

No I'm not. If the left's attempts to ban pistol grips on rifles was for any reason other than "trying to violate people's civil liberties for fun" you would have been able to state that alternative motivation.

MontereyJack wrote:
and Russia and the US.

I'm not wrong there either. Democrats really did push NATO right up to Russia's border and restart the Cold War anew.

MontereyJack wrote:
Your views are the product of your own imagination not reality.

Your inability to point out any errors on my part shows otherwise.