monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 09:14 am
@hightor,
Obviously any Democrat would have done the same thing. Both parties are the same you know.

Only one can save us.
glitterbag

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 09:34 am
@maporsche,
But it must be someone who is pure!
0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 10:11 am
@ggreenwald

'Trump's designation of IRGC as a terrorist organization is stupid, dangerous & provocative, making it much harder to forge a peace with Iran: more evidence that maniacs like Bolton & David Friedman are dominant. You can't arm & hug Saudis while pretending to oppose terrorism:'

0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 10:32 am
In turn the Iran Supreme National Security Council has designated US Central Command (CENTCOM) & all the "forces connected to it" as a "terrorist group".

Just great.
izzythepush

Quote:
Investigators suspect three fires at black churches in southern Louisiana over just 10 days are "related".

Federal authorities have joined the inquiry into the fires, which occurred on 26 March, 2 April and 4 April in the St Landry Parish.

Officials have not yet determined the cause of the blazes, which did not result in deaths or injuries.

But the fires have dredged up painful memories of how black churches were razed back in the US civil rights era.

"Right now, what we have to say is that the fires are suspicious," said Louisiana State Fire Marshal Butch Browning, reports NBC.

"We do believe that crimes have occurred. We believe that the three fires obviously are not coincidental, they are related."

The fires engulfed St Mary Baptist Church, the Greater Union Baptist Church and the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, all in the same rural community 30 minutes north of Lafayette.

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47858814
0 Replies

snood

@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Senate Republicans block resolution to release Mueller report for 5th time

...as one does with a report that totally exonerates you.

Indeed. Just as his superior academic record and superior intellect would prevent him from releasing school records. In the same way as his superior business acumen and financial success would preclude releasing tax returns. Totally logical.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 04:22 pm
The news is reporting that a judge blocked some sort of Trump immigration policy. I'm not paying much attention to the immigration issue so I can't give any details. But I thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone is interested.

I'm sure that whatever is going on, it'll ultimately end up being decided by the Supreme Court.

EDIT - this is it I think:
http://apnews.com/03aa69629a4b455a83a496f92a740790
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 05:44 pm
@Brand X,
If Iran wants to have a fight with the US military, that's fine with me. I would be overjoyed to see the US Air Force inflict some justice on Iran.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 06:29 pm
Well, yes
Quote:
Trump's presidency is not only a daily dumpster fire, it has also been an education in the character of the Republican Party and the conservative movement, one with profound lessons for the near future. Outside of a tiny cadre of "never Trump" Republicans, the party has embraced Trump with an unalloyed fervor that few could have imagined in 2016 when so many of them were expressing consternation that he had taken over their party.

Today they excuse his endless lying, they cheer his authoritarianism, and they provide him with the embarrassing praise he so desperately desires (at a recent Republican Jewish event, former Senator Norm Coleman told the story of the Trump presidency as the Passover story, with Trump in the place of God himself). Evangelical Christians, supposedly so concerned with morality, have bowed down before him as to no president before. They have revealed themselves in all their shallow hypocrisy and bad faith.
Waldman
oralloy

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 06:49 pm
@blatham,
Paul Waldman wrote:
Outside of a tiny cadre of "never Trump" Republicans, the party has embraced Trump with an unalloyed fervor that few could have imagined in 2016 when so many of them were expressing consternation that he had taken over their party.

Some of us think for ourselves instead of outsourcing our thinking to other people.

February 14, 2016
http://able2know.org/topic/309762-5#post-6125874
oralloy wrote:
It's going to be worse for the Democrats than for the Republicans. Trump is going to reshape the Republican Party to fit his views, but I'm upping my electoral predictions now to say that the Republicans are guaranteed to win the next five presidential elections.

March 3, 2016
http://able2know.org/topic/306611-10#post-6137982
oralloy wrote:
The right are about to shut the Democrats out of the White House for 20 straight years.
There are some old school Reaganites who don't like how Mr. Trump is going to reshape the Republican Party, but once the Democrats have been electorally obliterated I suspect most conservatives will come around to liking Mr. Trump a lot more.

March 6, 2016
http://able2know.org/topic/164543-156#post-6139510
oralloy wrote:
Mr. Trump is going to be our next president, and as such he will have the power to reshape the Republican Party to fit his values. The Right might want to start dealing with that, because it's going to happen whether they like it or not.
It'll be much worse for the Left. They are going to be out of power for a good 20 years.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:01 pm
WH spokesperson helps make Fox viewers stupider
Quote:
A spokeswoman for President Donald Trumps’ 2020 campaign claimed Monday that Congress members should not be able to access his tax returns because they have no legitimate reason to demand them. Her reasoning: the request does not include tax returns for other U.S. presidents.

“Ironically, the only person whose tax returns they’ve asked for — the only president — is Trump. So it’s a sham reasoning,” Trump’s 2020 campaign press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told Fox News, referring to congressional requests for Trump’s tax documents, as part of its probe into the multiple ongoing investigations into the president’s company, campaign, and inaugural committee.
TP

As a side note, I don't think I've seen any comments (other than mine) on the NYT deep reporting on Fox's influence in creating the mess that Britain, the US and Australia presently display. That's damned unfortunate because this is probably the single most critical factor in what's happening.

BillRM

Mon 8 Apr, 2019 08:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

WH spokesperson helps make Fox viewers stupider
Quote:
A spokeswoman for President Donald Trumps’ 2020 campaign claimed Monday that Congress members should not be able to access his tax returns because they have no legitimate reason to demand them. Her reasoning: the request does not include tax returns for other U.S. presidents.

“Ironically, the only person whose tax returns they’ve asked for — the only president — is Trump. So it’s a sham reasoning,” Trump’s 2020 campaign press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told Fox News, referring to congressional requests for Trump’s tax documents, as part of its probe into the multiple ongoing investigations into the president’s company, campaign, and inaugural committee.
TP

Yes I love Fox as it is similar to watching the old Baghdad Bob broadcasts but it is also nice in a way that Fox have the same contempt toward most Tramp supporters that I feel.

Only President that is being ask for his tax returns indeed as he is also the only President in fifty years or so that had not released his returns as soon as he file to run for the office.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 01:00 am
@georgeob1,
It is typical of you to attempt to make out that I've said something I haven't. No mention was made by me of Trump's virtues, nor did I allege that you had referred to such an illusory case (that clown possesses no virtues). I specifically responded to your drivel about his policies.

There are far too many members of Congress who benefit from those who employ illegal immigrants for any meaningful legislation to be passed. It may come as a shock to you, but the constitution grants Congress most of the power in government, and the president very little. Plump can rant and shout, but in the end, only Congress and the courts can decide most issues. Beginning with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986--a case where the president, horse's ass though he was, worked closely with Congress--good faith efforts have been made to reform and control immigration. All have failed, and mostly because Americans want cheap lettuce and fruit. You have also side-stepped, whenever this comes up, the undeniable fact, repeatedly made by the DEA, that overwhelmingly, drugs come into this country at legal crossing points. While Plump rants and grandstands by pointlessly sending troops to the border, drugs, particularly opioids, enter the country through those border crossing points. All the money squandered on his stunts would have been a great deal more effectively spent hiring more agents for border crossing points, and spending more money on that effort. But the fat boy in the white house has been interested in himself and his reality television show of a presidency.

The way to address trade imbalances is with bi- or multi-lateral negotiations. The effort is not served by narcissistic bombast and unilateral ultimatums. Plump's method is hurting ordinary consumers, but then, Plump and the denizens of gated communities don't suffer, and don't give a rat's ass how the ordinary working stiff is affected by stupid and unnecessary trade wars. The one who has failed to address the "long term corrosive effects" (I could do without the silly, purple prose) if the fat boy in the white house. China is not going to play ball with him, the the European Union and Canada are little interested in his antics. The Pan-Pacific trade partnership is the direction in which Canada is heading, and Mexico is already a part of that trading pact. With some much of the idiot ideology favored by the far right, the effect will be to marginalize American interests, as other nations find ways to do without us.

The highest rates of opioid overdose and deaths are in the northeastern United States. The heroine and fentanyl that come in there is smuggled in through legal crossing points by aircraft. I've pointed this out before, and you, of course, never address inconvenient truths.

Of course, you took the opportunity to blame all ills on the Democratic party, because they are not the lick-spittle sycophants that the majority of Republicans have become. You really do your intelligence and your perceptive abilities a disservice when you praise that fat, puerile, narcissistic clown.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 07:32 am
We should get a good idea of whether and how much Barr is going to be a stooge for Trump. Unless any questions related to Mueller are refused.
Region Philbis

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 07:39 am
@blatham,
Quote:
whether and how much Barr is going to be a stooge for Trump
his continued employment depends on it, apparently...
0 Replies

snood

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 07:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

We should get a good idea of whether and how much Barr is going to be a stooge for Trump. Unless any questions related to Mueller are refused.

That would be my guess about what transpires. Do we really expect this guy - who distilled and obscured 400 pages into a 4 page Trump endorsement - and who is only agreeing to release a redacted version - to provide us enlightenment about objective reality?
blatham

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 07:53 am
@snood,
It's certainly possible he will move to protect Trump. I guess we'll see.
blatham

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 07:55 am
Voices From The Right
Quote:
The ouster of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen — the implementer of some of the most unjust immigration policies since the internment of citizens and noncitizens of Japanese descent during World War II — is further proof of President Trump’s ratchet-wrench theory of loyalty. It goes only in his direction...
Michael Gerson
snood

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 08:07 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It's certainly possible he will move to protect Trump. I guess we'll see.

What needs to be revealed about this guy? Hell, he auditioned for his job as Trump’s AG by writing an unsolicited opinion that Trump can’t be indicted and that the whole investigation was unfounded.
Are we honestly still trying to figure out whether he will protect Trump?
blatham

Tue 9 Apr, 2019 08:15 am
@snood,
I want to differentiate between what I think likely and what I can honestly same I am certain of.