monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

what's the OBE acronym's translation?

Im sorry Osso, OBE means 'overtaken by events'. At times when we would be working on a research item, and something would happen that would make the earlier report obsolete.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:36 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Quote:
a political leader who’s left a paper trail of anti-constitutionalism, racism and the encouragement of violence

That describes O-boy, and he's history.

You shouldn't talk about Oralboy like that, he's sensitive.
0 Replies

old europe

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 07:55 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Very last sentence of the story:

Quote:
Visa and green card holders who are already in the U.S. will be permitted to stay.

Meaning they can't leave the country and come back.

People who have been legally in this country, maybe for many years, are now no longer allowed to travel freely.
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:03 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

That so? Whose ass did you pull that "meaning" out of, eh, Yurp?

Don't get me wrong. I'm with ya! That's what it should mean, but....
nimh

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:07 pm
@Frugal1,
Trump's executive order is barring people who were traveling abroad from returning to the U.S. who

(1) were permanent legal residents of the U.S. and have a green card
(2) were legally staying in the U.S. with a visum

They followed the rules & laws. They're still being kept from returning to the US, where some of them have been living for five, seven, nine years.

Trump's executive order is also barring British, Canadian etc. citizens from entering the U.S. if they or their parents were born in one of the affected countries. They too, broke no rule or law.
blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:08 pm
@farmerman,
The statue of liberty is soooo french
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

old europe wrote:

That so? Whose ass did you pull that "meaning" out of, eh, Yurp?

He's probably just reading all the reports of green card holders who were abroad when the executive order was issued and who are now being barred from returning to the U.S.

And he's probably reading the statements that are being issued by the U.S. government:

Quote:
A spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security told Reuters on Saturday morning that the President’s executive order will, in fact, stop green card holders from seven countries from returning to the United States if they travel abroad. “It will bar green card holders,” the spokeswoman said.

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security on Saturday clarified that even individuals who possess U.S. green cards are included in President Trump’s controversial immigration ban. Despite the fact that the green cards make them permanent U.S. residents, citizens from Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq and Yemen with green cards will still be barred entry to the U.S., according to a DHS spokeswoman. Spokeswoman Gillian Christensen told Reuters the order “will bar green card holders.” [..] In addition, reporters covering the White House were informed that individuals from the affected countries with a green card already "in the United States will have to meet with a consular officer before leaving the country."
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:14 pm
@layman,
Seems that Iran is "insulted" that they can't keep exporting their state-sponsered terrorism to the, US eh?

Quote:
"The US decision to restrict travel for Muslims to the US, even if for a temporary period of three months, is an obvious insult to the Islamic world and in particular to the great nation of Iran," Iran's foreign ministry said in a statement Saturday.

Anyone here who wants to head to Iran, for training, then return at will, might have to re-arrange their plans, eh? The poor things.
blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm
Jake Tapper ‏@jaketapper 4h4 hours ago
Jake Tapper Retweeted Michael Flynn Jr
Son and former top aide of National Security Adviser @GenFlynn calling Exec Order a Muslim Ban, despite GOP insistence it isn't a Muslim ban
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:19 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Trump's executive order is barring people who were traveling abroad from returning to the U.S. who

(1) were permanent legal residents of the U.S. and have a green card
(2) were legally staying in the U.S. with a visum

Wrong:

Quote:
... two were blocked from entering the U.S. after Trump signed an executive order on Friday barring people from Syria, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya from entering the U.S. for 90 days.

One of the men, Hameed Khalid Darweesh, worked with the US government for 10 years after the US invaded Iraq. He was released early Saturday afternoon due to provisions in Trump's order that allow the secretaries of state and homeland security to admit individuals into the US on a case-by-case basis, a source with knowledge of the case told CNN.

The other man, Haider Sameer Abdulkaleq Alshawi, had been granted a visa to join his wife, who had worked for a US contractor in Iraq, and son, both of whom already live in the US as refugees. He was released Saturday night..

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politics/donald-trump-executive-order-immigration-reaction/
blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:19 pm
Quote:
A federal judge in Brooklyn issued a stay on Saturday night on President Trump's executive order banning individuals from entering the U.S. from a set of Muslim-majority countries.
daily beast
I expect Trump to suggest the judge (Donnelly) is a muslim
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:20 pm
@blatham,
Comes from the top; Trump is too ignorant to understand our Constitution, and that our country is the conglomeration of people from all over the world. We are all immigrants except for the Native Indians. Go back far enough in human history, and they may have come from Asia.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/11/131120-science-native-american-people-migration-siberia-genetics/
glitterbag

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:22 pm
@blatham,
Michael Flynn Junior is a festering scab, and a throwback to a dimmer century, one in which the Irish were considered vermin. Now we have a a privileged army brat who has reverted to the stereo type of vermin.....he should shut up, he's an embarrassment to those of us who came from Ireland.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:29 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

He's probably just reading all the reports of green card holders who were abroad when the executive order was issued and who are now being barred from returning to the U.S.

A couple examples of those..

Here's one:

https://external-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCblx4aa5AAGMbf&w=418&h=309&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FC3TBO5mXUAAEq74.jpg&_nc_hash=AQAw2D3-FO3mkZC5

Here's another one:

‘Everything I worked for doesn’t matter:’ A Clemson PhD professor has been denied entry into the USA

Quote:
The data scientist, a recent Clemson Industrial Engineering Ph.D graduate, cut a trip to see family in Tehran, Iran short after she heard of a possible ban on immigration.

Just two hours after President Trump’s executive order was signed, she arrived at the airport to travel back home, but sitting on the runway in Dubai she was asked by TSA officers to disembark the plane. [..]

"Yes after almost 7 years of living the the United States, I got deported!!! No one warned me when I was leaving, no one cared what will happen to my dog or my job or my life there. No one told me what I should do with my car that is still parked at the airport parking. Or what to do with my house and all my belongings."

Third:

Quote:
More sad news (In particular those who questioned the assessment that this could impact green card holders should read this).

Iranian family goes through all security checks and clearances and are approved for green cards. Most of the family relocated to US last week. Daughter stayed in Tehran a few more days. She boarded a plane to the US via Dubai yesterday. She got to Dubai. She also boarded the plane to the US. But right before take-off, security entered the plane and kicked her off. They were instructed by US Customs and Border Patrol not to let Iranian nationals on to the plane - despite her having a green card.

She is now at Dubai airport, about to return to Iran. Separated from her parents who are in the US. They, in turn, are not able to go back to Iran since they may not be able to reenter the US now...

Fourth:

https://external-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQARy3r8_GoUBylF&w=418&h=129&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FC3R227TWIAI05D9.jpg&_nc_hash=AQApdnQjhn4q7Ag1

Et cetera.

There's even a Conservative Member of Parliament in Britain who discovered that he would be barred from the U.S. if he tried to visit.

Of course, it's still very possible that the courts will find that Trump exceeded his authority..
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:32 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Wrong:

Or, you know, not wrong, judging on the statement by the Department of Homeland Security that I quoted to you.

That they made two individual exceptions to the rule doesn't mean the rule doesn't exist.

I expect they'll soon be having to make a lot more exceptions, however..
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:34 pm
Kahn, the muslim featured at the Demoncratic Convention, who says sharia law takes precedence over the U.S. Constitution for muslims, is warning of muslims "taking action" which threaten the security of the U.S., eh?

Quote:
If the President alienates Muslim Americans, frequent President Donald Trump critic Khizr Khan said he may end up endangering national security.

"Instead of reducing that anger within the United States and outside the United States, this executive order, these executive orders and this rhetoric further endangers my country, endangers the safety of my country," Khan said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/khizr-khan-trump-muslim-ban/

No warning required, actually. We already know what plans pissed-off muslims in this country have for us, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:36 pm
So, how many here guessed the nation would get this fucked up in...

8 days.
ossobucotemp

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:36 pm
So, we have the ultimate asshole president and a scarier than him
vice president.

What to do? I certainly do not know.

I am not a violence person.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:38 pm
@nimh,
Trump's not the president, he's a tyrant who thinks he's a king. He doesn't understand the simplest concepts of a democracy.
I hope he gets impeached soon, before he does more damage to our country.
cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 08:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
By Darren Samuelsohn.
[quote]“Impeachment” is already on the lips of pundits, newspaper editorials, constitutional scholars, and even a few members of Congress. From the right, Washington attorney Bruce Fein puts the odds at 50/50 that a President Trump commits impeachable offenses as president. Liberal Florida Rep. Alan Grayson says Trump’s insistence on building a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border, if concrete was poured despite Congress’s opposition, could lead down a path toward impeachment. Even the mainstream Republican head of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce recently tossed out the I-word when discussing the civilian backlash if Trump’s trade war with China led to higher prices on everyday items sold at WalMart and Target.[/quote]