monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:11 pm
Typical fake news from a left wing rag frequently cited by Blathy:

The headline, and introduction:

Quote:
Green Card Holders Also Barred Under Trump Immigration Ban

People granted legal permanent resident status through green cards are included in the executive action President Donald Trump signed barring people from seven Muslim-majority countries from the United States, Reuters reported Saturday.

This is clearly intended to lead readers to the conclusion that Trump is gunna start throwing legal immigrants out.

Very last sentence of the story:

Quote:
Visa and green card holders who are already in the U.S. will be permitted to stay.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/green-card-holders-included-trump-muslim-ban

Like, whooda thunk, I ask ya?
farmerman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:11 pm
@dlowan,
Congress can contradict an EO but the president must sign it or veto it. If he vetoes it, Congress must get enough votes to override.

My concern with this guy is, When his term is up (Or he gets voted out in his first term) will he follow the "peaceful transfer of power" precedent which identifies our Republic.

ossobucotemp

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:13 pm
@glitterbag,
what's the OBE acronym's translation?
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:31 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Things are going very well
Quote:
Gallup: Trump Net Approval Rating Drops 8 Points In First Week In Office
TPM

If you read the story, Trump's "approval rating" has dropped by only 3 points. from 45% to 42%

Quote:
On Sunday Jan. 22, two days after being sworn in, 45 percent of respondents said they approved of Trump’s job performance...By Friday Jan. 27, the percentage...who approved dipped to 42.

Always come up with a misleading headline designed to cast Trump in the worst possible light, eh?
dlowan

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
So he can basically rule by fiat? Unless a republican congress summon the guts to reverse him?

I think there's a lot more to be concerned about than 2021
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
a political leader who’s left a paper trail of anti-constitutionalism, racism and the encouragement of violence

That describes O-boy, and he's history.
cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 04:37 pm
@layman,
Trump puts himself into a bad light by his bigotry.
roger

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:05 pm
@dlowan,
I had hopes for our Republican majority in congress. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but congress is looking more like an accomplice than a check and balance.
TomTomBinks

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:08 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
That describes O-boy, and he's history.

Frug, he's gone. Give it up. Try to say something relevant.
TomTomBinks

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:10 pm
@roger,
How far will they go? Those spineless weasels. There are a few exceptions, those with some guts, but I fear they will soon be out of the loop.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:15 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I had hopes for our Republican majority in congress. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but congress is looking more like an accomplice than a check and balance.

I don't know....of course...nobody does!

Dare I hope that they are just dazed and confused and overwhelmed and will summon guts and a strategy? Or is he doing what the fear driven little baby inside them always secretly wanted? Have they swallowed the far right propaganda?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:17 pm
@dlowan,
EOs are legal and binding, deriving from the powers of the Executive Branch. But they are subject to judicial review. Normally they do not move into the area of forming broad policies (that's congress' job). I think the main means to challenge a specific EO is where it may violate the constitution. Other than that, politicians and the public who find an EO egregious (eg morally) will have to kick up a ruckus sufficient to make the thing politically unpalatable for the Pres and his party. (if i have anything wrong there, you yanquis can correct me)
layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:18 pm
Despite government attempts at repression, the people of some European countries are beginning to rise up and resist, eh? From the Netherlands:

Quote:
Public support for controversial far-right leader Geert Wilders continues to rise in the Netherlands, despite his recent conviction for inciting racial hatred.

Mr Wilders was found guilty of inciting discrimination after leading a chant against allowing Moroccans to live in the Netherlands in 2014. The incident was filmed by TV cameras and Mr Wilder’s allegedly vowed to “take care” of immigration.

In a televised message following his conviction, Mr Wilders said: “I still cannot believe it, but I have just been convicted because I asked a question about Moroccans. The Netherlands has become a sick country. I have a message for the judges who convicted me: you have restricted the freedom of speech of millions of Dutch people and hence convicted everyone. No-one trusts you anymore. I will never be silent. You will not be able to stop me.”

In August, Mr Wilders said he wants to ban all Islamic symbols, mosques and the Quran from the Netherlands, as part of a “total de-Islamification”. Under the PVV, politicians say refugee asylum centres will be closed, and borders shut to migrants from Muslim countries.

His unvarnished remarks on immigration have won him much support and if polls are to be believed, his party would come out of the elections in March as the largest single party with a strong moral case for attempting to form a government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-anti-islam-geert-wilders-polls-rise-hate-crime-trial-conviction-far-right-a7471626.html

Cheese-eaters are a dying breed.

Backlash resulting from over-reaching is a bitch, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:30 pm
@hightor,
Hell of a link there, hightor. Thank you. Aside from the depressing historical accounts, the final sentence in your quote is the thing. The Trump people, explicitly and implicitly, are arguing that because he won the election, therefore normalcy is properly defined by him.

As this is the recipe for authoritarian tyranny, voices from across the spectrum (other than the crazy people) are saying, **** You.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:30 pm
Quote:
Netherlands: Muslim migrants attack locals in reign of terror across entire city
September 24, 2016

For months now, migrant youths have uploaded videos of themselves beating up random citizens and even intimidating police officers.

Two weeks ago, police were criticised for arriving nearly an hour after a news crew was attacked and pelted with eggs by the terrifying mob.

In previous videos, the gang – nicknamed the ‘Erdogan warriors’ by local press – have shown off their weapons while boasting that they will “kill” people who anger them.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2016/09/netherlands-muslim-migrants-attack-locals-in-reign-of-terror-across-entire-city
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:34 pm
@roger,
Quote:

For now Roger, because they believe they will get much of what they've wanted for a long, long time. The point where this might change is if he becomes a rotting thing around their necks. But then, you probably end up with Pence who is, in different ways, more dangerous. The hope sits two years up or four years up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:39 pm
@roger,
The way John McCain is being attacked doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic about the Republicans or the US.

__

An American friend returned to LA last night after 2 weeks of work and vacation in a Mexican resort. It's almost unbelievable what she wrote (and showed photos of) about the scene at LAX. Then I heard/saw what happened in Boston and New York. It's like watching Eastern European treatment of the Roma in the past couple of decades - but it's happening in a country I've loved for a long time. Travel plans are being cancelled all around.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:52 pm
http://www168.lunapic.com/do-not-link-here-use-hosting-instead/148508133442220?8772207285
Frugal1

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:55 pm
@blatham,
That's pretty slick.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 28 Jan, 2017 05:58 pm
Winner of this hour's "Well dangnabbit, the man was fibbin all along" award

Quote:
Donald Trump swore for nearly a year that he had a secret plan to quickly defeat ISIS, but he has now proven what everybody already knew: That was a lie. Instead, according to the Trump White House, the order he signed Saturday afternoon calls for military leaders to come up with a plan to defeat ISIS within 30 days.
Shareblue

By the way, JJ Cale saw this guy coming a mile away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zurxnFdNcUk