monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 03:03 am
@oralloy,
Wrong. I hope I don’t have to correct you again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8216861/WikiLeaks-Julian-Assange-claims-women-who-made-accusations-of-sexual-assault-got-into-a-tizzy.html
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 03:24 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Her account to police, which Assange disputes, stated that he began stroking her leg as they drank tea, before he pulled off her clothes and snapped a necklace that she was wearing. According to her statement she "tried to put on some articles of clothing as it was going too quickly and uncomfortably but Assange ripped them off again". Miss A told police that she didn't want to go any further "but that it was too late to stop Assange as she had gone along with it so far", and so she allowed him to undress her.

According to the statement, Miss A then realised he was trying to have unprotected sex with her. She told police that she had tried a number of times to reach for a condom but Assange had stopped her by holding her arms and pinning her legs. The statement records Miss A describing how Assange then released her arms and agreed to use a condom, but she told the police that at some stage Assange had "done something" with the condom that resulted in it becoming ripped, and ejaculated without withdrawing.
Quote:
Miss W told police that though they started to have sex, Assange had not wanted to wear a condom, and she had moved away because she had not wanted unprotected sex. Assange had then lost interest, she said, and fallen asleep. However, during the night, they had both woken up and had sex at least once when "he agreed unwillingly to use a condom".

Early the next morning, Miss W told police, she had gone to buy breakfast before getting back into bed and falling asleep beside Assange. She had awoken to find him having sex with her, she said, but when she asked whether he was wearing a condom he said no. "According to her statement, she said: 'You better not have HIV' and he answered: 'Of course not,'" but "she couldn't be bothered to tell him one more time because she had been going on about the condom all night. She had never had unprotected sex before."
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/dec/17/julian-assange-sweden
Lash

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 03:37 am
@oralloy,
You weren’t there. Neither was I. You believe her version; I find his more believable.

She went to the police with another chick he’d bagged the next day. Looks like sour grapes.

I don’t care what you think. Charges dropped.
hightor

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 03:43 am
Mueller Biographer: McConnell “Aided And Abetted” Russia’s Attack On The U.S.

Garrett Gaff said of the Republican: "Mitch McConnell aided and abetted the Russian attack on the 2016 election."

Quote:
Garrett Gaff, writer of the biography of Robert Mueller (The Threat Matrix: Inside Robert Mueller’s FBI and the War on Global Terror) joins the UnPresidential Podcast to discuss the Russia probe.

When asked, how did we get here? Gaff responds that “the whole thing began as an effort to protect the Trump campaign.” The probe began as an FBI counterintelligence investigation, which is meant to counter the attempt of a foreign adversary to influence Americans.

The FBI began to notice that several Russia-linked figures were circulating around the Trump campaign, so a counterintelligence investigation was launched to ensure that the Trump campaign wouldn’t be co-opted by Russian figures. There was then a realization that the Trump campaign was actually coordinating with the Russian figures, not discouraging them.

Gaff says that if they had known the details of the Trump involvement with Russian operatives in the summer of 2016, it would have been “obviously disqualifying to Donald Trump as a candidate.”

Gaff continues to say that Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell stopped the rallying cry throughout Capitol Hill to launch impeachment proceedings after Russian involvement became common knowledge. Gaff said that this should be “on a list of Mitch McConnell’s shames in life.”

“The top item should be that Mitch McConnell aided and abetted the Russian attack on the 2016 election,” Gaff noted.

The fact that McConnell refused to make keeping foreign influence out of American elections a nonpartisan issue should be one of McConnell’s greatest shames, according to Gaff.

It is better to think that Trump was actively coordinating with the Russians rather than think that our President was played as a fool by Russian operatives, says Gaff. If Trump was simply duped by the Russian operatives, it would be a much worse scenario.

Gaff predicts that “over some period of time” justice will be served. Yet, not everyone who is guilty will go to jail. He says that the important question is not “will justice be done?” it is, “will American be able to move forward at the end of this?”

jake thomas
gungasnake

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 03:56 am
@oralloy,
Sounds more like a bad experience than like anything which most people would call rape...
gungasnake

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:02 am
@hightor,
There is actually such a thing as being Robert Mueller's biographer?? I mean, you're not talking about being the most fucked up person in the United States or even on this planet with that one, you're talking about being the most fucked up individual in the Milky Way galaxy.

https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/kids/photos/articles/Space/H-P/milky-way-2.ngsversion.1473048015146.adapt.1900.1.jpg
gungasnake

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:09 am
Better jobs than being Robert Mueller's biographer:

Skin diver for a plumbing company
Somalian sex slave
Carnival donkey show performer
Rodeo clown....
Javelin catcher
NFL tackle dummy
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:10 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
You weren’t there. Neither was I.
That's why we have police investigations and criminal trials to try to determine whether charges can be proven.

Lash wrote:
You believe her version; I find his more believable.
She went to the police with another chick he’d bagged the next day. Looks like sour grapes.
I don’t care what you think.
Those women just got themselves in a tizzy huh?

Lash wrote:
Charges dropped.
Only because leftists impeded the investigation and made it impossible to pursue.

Leftists have a history of protecting rapists from justice. One of their big heroes is a guy who drugged a 13 year old girl and then raped her.

Instead of saying she was in a tizzy though, leftists like to call the drugged 13 year old girl a slut and a little hooker.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:13 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Sounds more like a bad experience than like anything which most people would call rape...
Neither woman consented to sex without a condom.

Tearing off a woman's clothes while she tries to prevent it is not consensual either.
hightor

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:52 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
There is actually such a thing as being Robert Mueller's biographer??

Read much?

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpxhst.co%2Favaxhome%2Fee%2F83%2F004e83ee.jpg&f=1

Quote:
I mean, you're not talking about being the most fucked up person in the United States or even on this planet with that one, you're talking about being the most fucked up individual in the Milky Way galaxy.

He's a decorated war hero, a successful prosecutor, and an honest man, your juvenile characterizations not withstanding.
izzythepush

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 04:55 am
@hightor,
Far more honourable profession than Putin's suckboy.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 05:38 am
Hogan rips RNC for shielding Trump from primary challenge
The Maryland governor, weighing a White House bid, said he expects to visit New Hampshire in the next few months.

By ALEX ISENSTADT 02/21/2019 04:31 PM EST Updated 02/21/2019 05:54 PM EST

Republican Gov. Larry Hogan said Thursday he expects to make a springtime trip to New Hampshire as he weighs a 2020 challenge to Donald Trump — and accused the Republican National Committee of going to extraordinary lengths to shield the president from a potentially draining primary.

“Typically they try to be fair arbiters of a process and I’ve never seen anything like it and I’ve been involved in the Republican Party for most of my life. It’s unprecedented. And in my opinion it’s not the way we should be going about our politics,” Hogan, a popular two-term Maryland governor, said in an interview with POLITICO. “It’s very undemocratic and to say, ‘We’re in some cases not going to allow a debate, we may not have a primary…’”

“And the question is, what are they afraid of?” he added. “Because on the one hand you look at polls, 70 percent of Republicans support the president in a primary. Why are they so concerned? Why the puffing out the chest — ‘We’ve put together the greatest team ever assembled, we’re going to raise all this money early, we’re going to hire all these people early, we’re going to take over the RNC…’”

During its annual winter meeting earlier this year, the RNC passed a resolution giving the president its “undivided support” ahead of the 2020 election. Trump has also rolled out a 2020 campaign organization that incorporates the RNC and his campaign into a single entity, with the reelection campaign and committee merging their field and fundraising programs into a joint entity known as Trump Victory. Traditionally, a presidential reelection committee has worked side-by-side with the national party committee but not overtaken it.

The arrangement, Hogan suggested, stemmed from worry on the part of senior Republicans that the president could be vulnerable to a primary challenge.

“I’m not a pundit and I can’t put myself inside the heads of the people making the decisions, but perhaps the way things look today are not the way they think things look a few months from now or next week or six months from now,” he added. “Maybe they’re concerned that they will drop in the polls and that they could be at some point down the road be subject to a threat in a primary.”

The RNC declined to comment.

Party officials have noted that it isn’t out of the ordinary for the RNC to support an incumbent president, and point out that the committee passed a similar resolution backing then-President George W. Bush during his first term.

The 62-year-old Hogan, who won reelection in liberal Maryland last year, has openly flirted with a primary challenge in recent weeks. The governor used his January inauguration speech to implicitly go after the president and to raise the specter of impeachment. He later met with conservative columnist and prominent Trump critic Bill Kristol, who has been seeking out a 2020 Republican primary challenger.

Hogan’s team has been in talks to appear at Politics & Eggs at St. Anselm College in New Hampshire, which has long drawn presidential hopefuls. He said he expected to make a trip to the first-in-the-nation primary state sometime this spring. Aside from participating in Politics & Eggs, he also raised the prospect of meeting with the state’s Republican governor, Chris Sununu. The two recently sat together at the Gridiron dinner.

The Maryland governor is slated to appear in Iowa early next month at an event sponsored by the National Governors Association, of which he serves as vice chairman. He said he would also set aside time to meet some people in the state before returning home.

Hogan, who in recent weeks has begun expressing interest in a potential primary bid, said he's heard from several Republican donors and elected officials. He's told them that he hasn't decided whether he'll run.

“I’d say it’s been something of a feeding frenzy,” Hogan said.

Hogan made the remarks ahead of an NGA meeting in Washington this weekend, an appearance that could bring him face-to-face with Trump. Hogan and governors from across the country are slated to visit the White House on Sunday for dinner. Governors will return on Monday for a meeting with Trump and Vice President Mike Pence and other senior administration officials.

The president is also expected to appear at a Republican Governors Association dinner on Friday evening, an event Hogan is also expected to attend.

Hogan, who frequently mentions that his late father was the first Republican member of Congress to call for Richard Nixon's impeachment, said he was in no rush to make a decision. A successful campaign, he argued, could start later on.

“At this point in time, I don’t see any path to winning a Republican primary against this president, or anybody doing it. But things have a way of changing,” he said. “I don’t know what the lay of the land is going to look like this summer, or in the fall.”
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 06:49 am
That's going to be a big mistake.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 07:46 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Gaff continues to say that Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell stopped the rallying cry throughout Capitol Hill to launch impeachment proceedings after Russian involvement became common knowledge. Gaff said that this should be “on a list of Mitch McConnell’s shames in life.”

There's not a lot of evidence to suggest McConnell is capable of experiencing shame.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 07:57 am
Quote:
But since becoming U.S. attorney for the Eastern District in September 2017, Higdon has led the crusade against non-citizen voting. No other U.S. attorney in the country has been as aggressive in pursuing non-citizen voting cases.

Rather than unearthing mass, intentional ballot fraud by undocumented immigrants, Higdon has turned up fewer than two dozen cases in which poll-worker or voter misunderstanding or error caused someone to vote who shouldn’t have done so.

North Carolina attorneys and voting rights advocates told TPM they’re dismayed that prosecutorial resources are being devoted to this non-issue. But there’s no simple explanation for why Higdon, among all 93 U.S. attorneys in the country, has been at the vanguard on non-citizen voting.

“Bobby has always been a diehard, unapologetic conservative Republican and proud of it,” a former assistant U.S. attorney who worked alongside Higdon in the Western District told TPM. “He also doesn’t care whether what he’s doing is popular or not. He feels very committed to using the power of the US attorney’s office in an aggressive way if he feels it is the ‘right’ thing to do.”
TPM

I for one am flabbergasted that his honorable quest turned up what it did. That's never happened before.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 08:01 am
Not very surprising news
Quote:
N.C. elections board orders new race in disputed House district

Politico
I'm guessing thanksgiving dinner is going to be awkward.
hightor

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 08:19 am
@blatham,
The irony of it all. From the party which regularly attacks its opposition for committing rampant "voter fraud".
blatham

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 08:33 am
@hightor,
Voting issues like this one are a key piece of evidence that modern US conservatism is irretrievably corrupt. If one holds that their party/ideology alone is the legitimate expression of national governance and power, then pretty much any act or statement, no matter how undemocratic or deceitful, becomes morally excusable - or even morally mandated.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 08:57 am
Quote:
Stone, who already had been under a limited gag order imposed by Jackson, said in court that he was “having trouble putting the food on the table and making rent” and needed to be able to make money as a commentator. According to Jackson, he had told pretrial services that his consulting income was $47,000 a month.
WP
The guy is so used to getting away with lying that opening his mouth in a courtroom poses serious risks.

Which of course is why Trump's lawyers will do anything possible to keep that from happening to him.
0 Replies