monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:20 am
@Debra Law,
Quote:
I guess that's Pelosi's grasp on how power works in America. The two political parties take turns at the helm.
I gather you're being sarcastic there. She ain't that dumb but she recognizes historical probabilities.

The way ahead for Dems certainly isn't clear for me. The most hopeful condition is demonstrated by the popular vote even if the system disfavors it electorally.
Frugal1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:55 am
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/the-faction-that-kept-nancy-pelosi-in-power/article/2608423
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 08:50 am
We'll have to see what happens here but this neanderthal probably won't surprise us much
Quote:
Sessions, who turns 70 on Christmas Eve, has called marijuana reform a "tragic mistake" and criticized FBI Director James Comey and Attorneys General Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch for not vigorously enforcing a the federal prohibition that President Obama has called “untenable over the long term.” In a floor speech earlier this year, Senator Sessions said: "You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink… It is different….It is already causing a disturbance in the states that have made it legal.”
Reefer Madness
blatham

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:05 am
So Trump appoints Ben Carson to HUD. That makes sense because Carson knows that the pyramids were actually grain storage facilities.

Carson himself said just a while ago that he's not fit for such a position because he has no relevant experience at all (for any cabinet position). So what the hell is going on?

He checks off a couple of boxes being african american and a favorite of the religious right. But there's something else in this as well. Carson is not unique among Trump appointees in his lack of qualifications and expertise. And this seems to be a theme, part of the "draining the swamp" meme. Reject expertise and experience and relevant knowledge as not merely insufficient criteria for complex jobs but also as a means to "shake things up". If Trump can be President, then why can't hospital janitors do all the surgery?

And let's note how this all meshes with the no facts/no truth idiocy.
giujohn

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:13 am
@blatham,
Boy, you bleeding heart liberals can't seem to to make up your mind on which side of the argument you're on. If he picks somebody who who is experienced and part of the establishment you're screaming that he isn't keeping his promise to drain the swamp. If he picks somebody who is not part of the establishment you claim that the person is not qualified for the position. Could it be that it really doesn't matter who he picks as the game is to oppose him regardless the decision or subject just because you're a bunch of sore losers?

Fact of the matter is for most cabinet positions with the exception of state department and attorney general any confident responsible person with management capabilities can head the agency because the day-to-day nuts and bolts jobs are done by professional non appointed long term employees.
georgeob1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:32 am
@blatham,
It is interesting to read about Blatham's preoccupation with the need for expertise and direct experience in a field before assuming a managerial role in it. It is merely unfortunate that he does not at all observe such constraints in voicing his opinions on matters outside his own experience. In his defense, he does indeed generally refer to self-appointed exxperts and commentators, but does so from only a narrow portion of the political spectrum, all his scholarly pretense notwithstanding.

In the case at hand, however, I don't think that much detailed expertise is required to being focus to an inept bureaucracy pursuing already failed policies in advance of expected new legislation reforming various programs. Carson appears to be an unusually honest and candid man, and his professional experience as an unusually proficient and successful neurosurgeon and head of Department at Johns Hopkins suggerst to me that he likely has the needed ability.

giujohn

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:42 am
@georgeob1,
Well said George. But I think it's a little unfair to continuously counter blathers arguments with intelligent, well-reasoned, articulate, and logical retorts. It seems akin to Stephen Hawking discussing cosmology with Alfred E Neuman.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:49 am
@blatham,
I like Sessions, but I disagree with his take on Marijuana.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:22 am
One positive and welcome consequence of this election has been conservative Jennifer Rubin's increasing sanity.
Quote:
The media must be willing to undertake this painstaking examination when Trump officials choose to abandon any pretense of telling the truth. Administration officials who declare the president has the right to make up stuff — lie — to the American people should be hammered.
Indeeed
Debra Law

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:38 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Yeah, she does sound a little inane with her explanation. On the other hand I personally think "anti-establishment" is more a political fad than something concrete.

In my own opinion for whatever it is worth, Clinton did not focus enough on the economic problems people in the swing states and southern states have which differ than California and the North east and it cost her the white house. (didn't really get that on my own, but after reading several articles post election...and agreeing with them.

It isn't a faddish anti-establishment bug akin to a common cold that the people caught and will soon get over. It's the long-term corruption within the two established political parties that the people are against. Most have taken off their blinders. They are not satisfied with frothing at the mouth over the red-meat issues the parties throw at them.
giujohn

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:39 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

One positive and welcome consequence of this election has been conservative Jennifer Rubin's increasing sanity.
Quote:
The media must be willing to undertake this painstaking examination when Trump officials choose to abandon any pretense of telling the truth. Administration officials who declare the president has the right to make up stuff — lie — to the American people should be hammered... except if your last name is Clinton.
Indeeed

0 Replies

Frugal1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:42 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Administration officials who declare the president has the right to make up stuff — lie — to the American people should be hammered.

So why on earth did 0bama, and his entire administration not get hammered for making up **** & lying to the American people for 8 years?
Debra Law

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:46 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Nancy Pelosi and Keith Ellison.....it's like the Dems don't understand why they lost. It's glorious. Keep moving farther left.

Truthfully, I think they do understand why they lost but they are unwilling to change the structure that keeps them in their lucrative positions of power. Business as usual is throwing red meat at the masses and fueling the "left vs. right" dichotomy (divide and conquer) while they congregate in the back rooms with the big money interests and divvy up our national bounty. And, you're one of their useful fools when you use their words of division in conversations with your fellow citizens.
Frugal1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:52 am
@Debra Law,
Speaking of THEIR useful fools, how are you doing DL?
layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:56 am
@blatham,
I'm not going to try to find or reproduce it now, but I already made a long-ass post about a study done by 3 political science professors from different universities. Their data was taken from surveys conducted by about 40 universities working together in a government-funded project to investigate voting patterns.

That study related to elections in 2010 and 2012. Their data was taken from information given by non-citizens. They found that almost 15% of the non-citizens admitted to voting.

The figures from the last census "showed" (to the extent it was accurate) that there were about 11 million non-citizens living in the US. That figure is now estimated to be at least 20 million.

Some voting monitoring organization also claimed to have "verified" that over 3 million non-citizens voted in 2016, but has yet to release it's data, so there's "no evidence" which means IT'S ALL A BASELESS LIE!!!

PS: Although this is responding to Blathy, he won't see it because he has me on ignore. I don't blame him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:02 am
@Debra Law,
Truth
0 Replies

Debra Law

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:07 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Boy, you bleeding heart liberals can't seem to to make up your mind on which side of the argument you're on. If he picks somebody who who is experienced and part of the establishment you're screaming that he isn't keeping his promise to drain the swamp. If he picks somebody who is not part of the establishment you claim that the person is not qualified for the position. Could it be that it really doesn't matter who he picks as the game is to oppose him regardless the decision or subject just because you're a bunch of sore losers?

Fact of the matter is for most cabinet positions with the exception of state department and attorney general any confident responsible person with management capabilities can head the agency because the day-to-day nuts and bolts jobs are done by professional non appointed long term employees.

Thank goodness you have your blinders firmly in place so you may play the part of useful fool in the divide and conquer war that is waged against the people.

If and when you ever lift your blinders and quit insulting your fellow citizens with words of division, perhaps you can appreciate the dissonance between Tump's words and Trump's acts.

What does draining the swamp mean to you? If you have a rational thought, i.e., one that is not poisoned by your indoctrinated hatred of "bleeding heart liberals", what do you have to say about the reports we are getting like this one:

Quote:
During the campaign, Donald Trump held up Goldman Sachs as a villain and symbol of the corrupt establishment.

Trump's closing campaign ad flashed an ominous image of Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein just as Trump condemned the "global power structure" for robbing America's working class and enriching the elite.

Yet now, the president-elect is leaning on several former Goldman Sachs executives to help him run the country after he takes over in January.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/30/investing/donald-trump-goldman-sachs-steve-mnuchin/
layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:13 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Yet now, the president-elect is leaning on several former Goldman Sachs executives to help him run the country after he takes over in January.

"Former" being the key word here, one of whom is Steve Bannon. Trump owes nothing to lobbyists, and these former Sachs people owe nothing to Sachs. They do, however, have intimate knowledge of how markets and international trade work. They are experts

Sachs contributed nothing to Trump. I don't know if they contributed anything to Clinton, but it wouldn't surprise me. Whoever it was that contributed over a billion dollars to her campaign wasted their money, though.

That's "draining the swamp."
Debra Law

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:25 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Speaking of THEIR useful fools, how are you doing DL?

I am rubber and you are glue. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you. Very good. Now that we got that juvenile crap out of the way, what do you have to say--if anything--about the dissonance between Trump's words and Trump's acts?

I admit that I can be drawn into the red meat wars just like anyone else because I don't understand man's inhumanity. But, recognizing the problem is the first step in resolving the problem. We can be useful fools, or we can be the instruments of change.
McGentrix

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 11:27 am
@layman,
I'm not sure that you quite get it... Blatham wants Trump to hire experts and when he does, Deb will call them the wrong experts... Trump will never win.