monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:42 pm
@coldjoint,
It is trump wgi gs spent the last two years abusing power, gutting environmental protections, pulling us out of vital security treaties abd the oparis accords, gutting protections against foreign meddling in our elections, cosying up to our enemies and dumpine on our frienbds, requiring personal allegiance to ho\I'm and not our constitution from his appointees, lying to the American people and appointing a crop of office holders who lie right along with him. , soaking taxpayers for north of 100 million dollars for his peronsal travel. Go to it, NY federal prosecutoors. It's not presidential harassment, it's simple justice to make a would--be authoritarian responsible for his actions .
MontereyJack

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Quote:
Legal circles are also buzzing over whether SDNY might buck DOJ guidance and seek to indict a sitting president...
oralloy: If they try to do that, fire them.
Open and shut case of obstruction of juastice. Impeach him, convict him, lock him up.
blatham

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:50 pm
Definitely worth posting in full
Quote:
The war with North Korea that Trump thinks he prevented (but didn’t)
By Steve Benen
On Friday, a reporter asked Donald Trump about the prospects for denuclearization on the Korean peninsula. The president’s answer meandered a bit – a common occurrence – but at the heart of his answer was Trump’s insistence that he deserves credit for averting a war.

Quote:
“When I came into office, I met right there, in the Oval Office, with President Obama. And I sat in those beautiful chairs and we talked. It was supposed to be 15 minutes. As you know, it ended up being many times longer than that.

“And I said, ‘What’s the biggest problem?’ He said, ‘By far, North Korea.’ And I don’t want to speak for him, but I believe he would have gone to war with North Korea. I think he was ready to go to war. In fact, he told me he was so close to starting a big war with North Korea. And where are we now?”

It was, by Daniel Dale’s count, the 25th time the Republican told some version of this story. The core elements of the tale tend to be roughly the same: Obama told Trump that the United States was on the brink of a war, and Trump, thanks to how awesome his awesomeness is, was able to avert the deadly conflict.

And while it’s difficult to say with certainty exactly what was said between Obama and Trump two-and-a-half years ago, it’s very difficult to take seriously what the Republican has repeatedly claimed.

Obama’s top national security aides have emphatically denied Trump’s version of events, explaining that Obama identified a longstanding security threat, which is a far cry from saying the two countries were “ready to go to war.”

A New York Times analysis added, “The notion that Mr. Obama, who famously equivocated about a single missile strike against non-nuclear Syria to punish it for using chemical weapons against its own civilians, would have started a full-fledged war with North Korea seems hard to imagine, to say the least. But this presumption has become part of Mr. Trump’s narrative in patting himself on the back for reaching out to North Korea to make peace.”

So what’s driving Trump to lie about this? There are a few angles to this to keep in mind.

The first is that he’s desperate for some victories after a series of embarrassing defeats, and if that means exaggerating events beyond recognition, so be it. This president hasn’t accomplished anything of significance with North Korea, so he invented a success story: he prevented a war.

On a related note, Trump could also use some kind of rationalization that puts his entire North Korea gambit in a favorable light, especially with another summit with Kim Jong-un coming up. The reality – Trump inherited a longstanding challenge, went out of his way to make it much worse, then eased tensions by giving a communist dictator what he wanted in exchange for nothing – isn’t exactly impressive.

But if he can convince people he managed to steer the countries away from the brink, then the hapless diplomatic gambit might appear less pointless.

Finally, there’s the broader concern over Trump peddling bogus claims about matters of war and peace.

George Conway, a prominent lawyer who happens to be married to one of the president’s top aides, wrote via Twitter over the weekend, “We should highly question the mental stability of a president of the United States who would lie about whether the United States had been on the verge of starting ‘World War III’ with another state possessing nuclear weapons.”
LINK

And what the **** is it about Trump and his use of beautiful? Always, always it is about self-aggrandizement. Even when he use the word to describe women, the same implication is usually right up front - "I have access to these female bodies and you don't".
coldjoint

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
It is trump wgi gs spent the last two years abusing power, gutting environmental protections,

Bullshit, not liking his policies is your gripe. Obama did a shitload of what he wanted. What did the traitor Obama say? "Elections have consequences".
MontereyJack

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Obama did what most of the country wanted him to do. That's why he got re-elected. Traitor Trump does only what most of the country wants him to NOT do. That's the abuse of power.
glitterbag

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:03 pm
I’m not sure what kind of life experiences all of the members have encountered, but in my professional life it was cruicial to pull together for the common good. I’ve worked with brilliant and less than brilliant analysts/linguists/mathematicians/engineers and all of us swore an oath to protect and serve the Country. We didn’t swear to protect a political party or politician and it wasn’t necesssary to know the voting history of your colleagues or leadership in order to do work toward the goal. The goal was always to safeguard the US and our allies and to stay abreast of world events.

Only outside agitators truly want to see anarchy, completely dangerous unguarded borders, lawlessness or crippling of the economy. I don’t understand how a handful of conspirisy nutcases have been able to cast doubt on the men and women who have served this country and label them as members of ‘the deep state’. The vibrations coming from Arlington National Cemetary should be a clarion call to wake up, before it’s too late.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:04 pm
@blatham,
As it is said in the Ten Commandments: Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor’s Votes!
coldjoint

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:07 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Definitely worth posting in full

Thanks for the hint, it has to be garbage.
Quote:
The first is that he’s desperate for some victories after a series of embarrassing defeats,

A lot of people see victory in a few of those, which they do not bother to list. Another blowhole who will do anything to discredit Trump. It is clearly what he is paid to do.
Quote:
Obama’s top national security aides have emphatically denied

Who are those geniuses Clapper, Brennan, and Rhodes.? They do not identify them.
Quote:
Even when he use the word to describe women, the same implication is usually right up front - "I have access to these female bodies and you don't".

What is that about? Are you jealous?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:13 pm
Quote:
That's why he got re-elected.

He got reelected because Romney was a wimp. And still is.
blatham

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:16 pm
Mooos and Ahhhhs

I'm presuming this lover of cows won't mind.
coldjoint

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Victim Alert!
Quote:
I don’t understand how a handful of conspirisy nutcases have been able to cast doubt on the men and women who have served this country and label them as members of ‘the deep state’.

Are you going to lobby for reparations? And are those nutcases McCabe, Comey, Killary and others? Are you admitting to a conspiracy on their part?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:20 pm
@coldjoint,
Romney is a wimp, true. He's also one of the last few relaticvely sensible republicans, when most of the gop seem to hsve lost their minds,
coldjoint

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:23 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
sensible republicans,

He is a globalist. Willing to sell America down the river.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Damn. I got something else wrong. I always thought it was neighbor's oats!

I'm going to be eating better after this.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Open and shut case of obstruction of juastice. Impeach him, convict him, lock him up.
Wrong. "Firing rogue agents for violating DOJ guidelines" is not obstruction of justice.

Not to mention the fact that the Democrats have already set a precedent that it is OK for presidents to commit obstruction of justice.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Traitor Trump does only what most of the country wants him to NOT do. That's the abuse of power.
"Not doing what the left wants" is neither treason nor an abuse of power.
MontereyJack

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:30 pm
@oralloy,
MOST OF THE COUNTRY oralloy, .
oralloy

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
The country will have an opportunity to review his performance in two years. I suspect that you will not like the country's decision.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:35 pm
Quote:
Judd Legum
‏Verified account
@JuddLegum
Trump tweets, last 24 hrs:

1. My deputy attorney general is a criminal

2. I'm being targeted by an "illegal coup"

3. The people investigating me should be jailed

4. Television networks that air jokes about Republicans should face "retribution"

So, that's normal.
oralloy

Mon 18 Feb, 2019 02:36 pm
@blatham,
It's time that Trump really cleaned house at the justice department.