monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

gungasnake

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 07:57 pm
https://freedomoutpost.com/angry-americans-demand-dnc-pay-back-money-spent-on-russia-collusion-investigation/
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:00 pm
MUST SEE!

The NYT has an incredible graphics up on all the things Trump has said about his wall (in very thorough detail) LInk Here
Quote:
A Fence, Steel Slats or ‘Whatever You Want to Call It’:
A Detailed Timeline of Trump’s Words About the Wall

Seeing this in such detail (eg the number of times he promised that Mexico would be made to pay for it) demonstrates to me not merely that the man is full of bullshit top to bottom but that he is also insane.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:06 pm
Swamp Draining Notes From All Over
Quote:
Zinke teaming up with Lewandowski at D.C. lobbying firm

Politico
You stupid, stupid, stupid Republican voters who actually imagined that Trump or his party had any interest whatsoever in "draining the swamp". Jesus Christ in Heaven!
georgeob1

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:11 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Re Margaret Sanger
I trust we can all acknowledge that Sanger's position/thoughts on eugenics is of no relevance whatsoever in right wing criticism of her. If this was a serious issue for right wing Americans, they would have similar campaigns against Teddy Roosevelt and Winston Churchill (along with many others). It is all about abortion.

The eugenics point is a classic example of an ad hominem where a logically irrelevant fact is utilized to discredit a speaker's position. "He's gay therefore bound to be grossly irresponsible. Don't believe a word he says".

Nonsense !
This is what we used to call gorilla dust - stuff thrown up to distract attention from an uncomfortable point. What "ad hominem"? where? In fact there is none, classic or otherwise.

Your remarks in contrast do indeed include a starkly obvious ad hominem in terms of your critical portrayal of all who are opposed to abortions, and your fallacious implication that this was necessarily the sole motivation behind the discussion. Abortion and eugenics are indeed related as means of attaining desired ends. However Hightower's point and my rebuttal were solely about eugenics.

I was responding to Hightors's claim that there was no element of racism in Sanger's views. I pointed out that Sanger made very explicit references to racial distinctions in the eugenics argument she was making -- and which he posted in a failed effort to support his fallacious argument.

I made no reference whatever to abortion, though it is true there is an obvious eugenic factor involved in abortion and, as well, a eugenic element in our abortion statistics, which involve far more than a proportional share of Black babies destroyed by it.

Teddy Roosevelt was, among other things a strong advocate of what Kipling called "the white man's burden" - a very popular and widespread illusion in that colonial age - particularly in Britain and its principal colonies in Canada, Australia and New Zeeland, and, as well among the British colonial administrators of India, Burma, and Malaya. Had he lived today I suspect he would have gotten over it.

Many of those opposed to Abortion are also opposed to such eugenics, just as many who support it, appear to, like Margaret Sanger, support some forms of eugenics.
coldjoint

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
"draining the swamp"

He is refreshing it with people that actually care about Americans. That scares the **** out of you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:23 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Angry Americans Demand DNC Pay Back Money Spent On Russia Collusion Investigation
Let's also force the Democrats to pay millions in compensation to the innocent people whose lives they've ruined.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 08:45 pm
@georgeob1,
First of all, I wasn't responding in any way to what you wrote to Hightor. I was speaking to the right wing campaign against abortion and Planned Parenthood and its use of Sanger's notions on eugenics as an adhominem in the attempt to discredit. As I noted, there is NO SUCH campaign waged against Churchill or Roosevelt. Clearly, eugenics isn't the target at all. That is obvious on the face of things. I have never, ever, ever, seen the slightest criticism from the right of Churchill for engaging eugenics ideas. There is, in your media's universe no other individual associated with eugenics who has gained 1/100,000th of the attention and disparagement that Sanger has received. If she was not perceived as a prime factor in the rise of women's rights, of pregnancy avoidance and of women's access to abortion WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION.
Quote:
Your remarks in contrast do indeed include a starkly obvious ad hominem in terms of your critical portrayal of all who are opposed to abortions, and your fallacious implication that this was necessarily the sole motivation behind the discussion.
I didn't say anything about "all who are opposed". I did not say nor imply that anti-abortionists have no worthy moral point. I did and do, however, repeat that the attacks on Sanger are about abortion. That is the most obvious fact in play here.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:10 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

I was responding to Hightors's claim that there was no element of racism in Sanger's views. I pointed out that Sanger made very explicit references to racial distinctions in the eugenics argument she was making -- and which he posted in a failed effort to support his fallacious argument.

I see nothing which shows any racial preference other than, perhaps human race in her statements. She mentioned defective stocks not defective races. For instance, you can find defective stock among the finest varieties of roses. She was in step with many of the prominent political and ethical figures of the time because, as I said earlier, it was a different time. Birth defects and deformities were seen as certain death or at least a life of suffering. As people began to discover the role of public hygiene, nutrition, genetic inheritance, etc there was a sense of optimism, the idea that much of the suffering of humanity could be eliminated by applying the discoveries of science to human behavior. Naive, yes. Racist, no. There were definitely racists in the ranks of eugenics supporters but Sanger's involvement was from the aspect of public health, not racial purity or racial elimination.

This was a historical moment. And the goals of the early birth control movement reflected the optimism and determination of many of the social scientists of the day. That was a century ago. Medicine has changed. People's hopes and expectations have changed. The family planning philosophy has changed. And Margaret Sanger's feelings on race at the time have no bearing on the reproductive rights movement of today, even if you insist on interpreting her words as negatively as possible.

Honestly guys, you haven't dealt with any of the points raised in the article I posted. Your interpretation runs counter to the facts.
coldjoint

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:15 pm
Quote:
There were definitely racists in the ranks of eugenics supporters but Sanger's involvement was from the aspect of public health, not racial purity or racial elimination.

That is bullshit.
hightor

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:20 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
...though it is true there is an obvious eugenic factor involved in abortion and, as well, a eugenic element in our abortion statistics, which involve far more than a proportional share of Black babies destroyed by it.

Can you explain the "eugenic" angle here? How many white pregnancies are prevented by contraception? The demographics suggest it's pretty common. The common factor here is a desire not to give birth. People higher on the economic scale are able to access contraception. Those on the lower end of the social ladder often end up having to make a more desperate decision. The intention is the same and so is the result. And it doesn't sound like "eugenics".
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:35 pm
@coldjoint,
You say it's "bullshit" but you can't show how it's "bullshit" without resorting to forgeries, lies, misinterpretation, and exaggeration. Sanger "spoke to the KKK" — wow, that's some convincing proof right there! If you look at the articles on eugenics in the '20s you can see a whole spectrum of views on the subject, from benign to malignant. Within a generation advances in public health, social changes following WWII, and an increasing standard of living began to address many of the social problems targeted by eugenics supporters and today the only people who pay lip service to the concept are white supremacists.
hightor

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:37 pm
Lyndon LaRouche, Cult Figure Who Ran for President 8 Times, Dies at 96
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:39 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Sanger "spoke to the KKK" — wow, that's some convincing proof right there

It sure is.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:41 pm
@hightor,
Yup.
RABEL222

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 10:44 pm
@blatham,
Sad?
glitterbag

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:01 pm
@RABEL222,
About what?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:32 pm
@oralloy,
They did the crime, they do the time, that's the way the justice system works. No innocence involved. Mueller got them dead to rights. They're all a bunch of lying scumbags, just like the puppet master who hired them.
Setanta

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:42 pm
@hightor,
It is highly ironic that George is making that idiotic eugenics argument based on race. No less a luminary than the great progressive Republican, Theodore Roosevelt, called Sanger a "race traitor" because she was advocating birth control for white women in New York. After all, we needed lots of little white babies to grow up and manage the affairs of little brown and yellow babies. See Kipling's "The White Man's Burden," addressed to the United States after the victory in the Spanish War.
coldjoint

Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:48 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Theodore Roosevelt, called Sanger a "race traitor" because she was advocating birth control for white women in New York.

She was a hardcore racist. Dress her up all you wish.
Quote:
We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don’t want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.

https://www.lifenews.com/2013/03/11/10-eye-opening-quotes-from-planned-parenthood-founder-margaret-sanger/