monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:24 am
@coldjoint,
No kidding. That’s not news. We all know that’s how it works.

Maybe we should just pay all people quarterly then. I mean why not, they’ll get paid eventually.

It causes problems for workers and for families to miss 1-4 paychecks. Government jobs are not high paying ones typically.

There are not a lot of people making $45-$80k per year who can give up several paychecks without causing personal disruption in their lives. Even if it will ultimately work out eventually (some unknown timeline).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/01/28/what-is-it-like-to-be-an-agent-of-the-u-s-secret-service/amp/
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:36 am
@maporsche,
Quote:

There are not a lot of people making $45-$80k per year who can give up several paychecks without causing personal disruption in their lives

Do you know how to make an omelet without breaking eggs?
maporsche

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:45 am
@coldjoint,
Thing is, no one ordered an omelette...and we’ve already had breakfast.
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:51 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Thing is, no one ordered an omelette.

Half the people(probably more) in this country ordered a wall. I am glad you had breakfast because Trump is eating your lunch.
InfraBlue

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:55 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
No. Government should keep its proboscis out of peoples' personal politics. It's unconstitutional.
Not unconstitutional at all. Neonazis do not have any right to be schoolteachers.

Nuh-uh.
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 11:58 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Nuh-uh.

Not surprised that you support Nazis.
hightor

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:21 pm
@coldjoint,
February 2017:
Quote:
As was the case throughout the presidential campaign, more Americans continue to oppose (62%) than favor (35%) building a wall along the entire U.S. border with Mexico. And while President Donald Trump has said the U.S. would make Mexico pay for the wall, the public is broadly skeptical: 70% think the U.S. would ultimately pay for the wall, compared with just 16% who think Mexico would pay for it.

pewresearch

December 2018
Quote:
As President Trump continues to threaten to potentially shut down the government over his border wall, Americans would prefer to see him compromise to prevent gridlock, according to an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist Poll.

By a 21-point margin — 57 percent to 36 percent — Americans think the president should compromise on the wall to avoid a government shutdown, rather than stand firm. About two-thirds of Republicans say the opposite, and the president has been focused on maintaining his base.

Yeah, okay.
maporsche

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:29 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Thing is, no one ordered an omelette.

Half the people(probably more) in this country ordered a wall. I am glad you had breakfast because Trump is eating your lunch.

Actually, not even close.

62,984,828 votes = 19.33% of the population

And not all of those 62,984,828 people support building a wall.
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:35 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Actually that really does not matter, does it? Wasn't Obamacare shoved down the throats of Americans?
maporsche

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:40 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Actually that really does not matter, does it?

ONLY in the sense that it helps to prove your statement ABSOLUTELY WRONG that probably more than have the country approves of the wall.
snood

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:58 pm
Since no one knows how long the shutdown would be, the government workers would have to work without a paycheck starting from right before Christmas, and continuing indefinitely. Money in the bank indeed.
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:59 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
ONLY in the sense that it helps to prove your statement ABSOLUTELY WRONG

There is no proof of that either, unless you have something you wish to share.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:01 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Money in the bank indeed.

That is what responsible people have that do not live beyond their means.
RABEL222

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:32 pm
@coldjoint,
Do Russian commies like yourself live from paycheck to paycheck as we in the u s do?
coldjoint

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:37 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Do Russian commies like yourself

I am not a Communist. Feel free to find my collectivist comments and post them. Why do so many here speak from their ass?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:51 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Nuh-uh.

Not surprised that you support Nazis.

Nope.
Lash

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
On what grounds? Bernie and Trump ran their campaigns on getting out of ME wars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 01:59 pm
I have long argued to end the ceaseless warfare, actually, beginning with Vietnam. These days the situation is even more dangerous than when Johnson and Nixon were Commanders in Chief. So I want these things over with, but the new problem is the new Commander in Chief. He knows not protocol and has no strategy. In short, the situation is dangerous whether the forces fight or come home. The man is sure to eff it up either way.
izzythepush

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 02:08 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

We have had progressives begging Obama and then Trump to end our culpability in these unnecessary, genocidal wars since we entered the fray.

Why is exiting this morass wrong only under the circumstance that trump makes the decision?

There's a sense amongst some people that you don't throw your allies under the bus. That loyalty should be rewarded. The Kurds have been steadfast allies in the fight against jihadis in both Iraq and Syria.

Once the Americans move out Erdogan's troops will move in and the death toll will be astronomical.

I notice you've not even mentioned Erdogan, why is that?

Quote:
The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has said that Turkey will launch a military operation against the Kurds in northern Syria within days, in a decision that could signal a shift in Turkish-US relations and have far-reaching consequences for Syria’s future.

Long frustrated by US support for Kurdish militias that Turkey views as terrorists, Erdoğan has threatened to push deeper into north-eastern Syria since sending Turkish forces into the Kurdish enclave of Afrin in February.

The president said during a televised speech in Ankara on Wednesday that the operation was imminent. “We will begin our operation to free the east of the Euphrates [river] from the separatist organisation within a few days,” he told MPs. “Our target is not the American soldiers – it is the terror organisations that are active in the region.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/12/turkey-primed-to-start-offensive-against-us-backed-kurds-in-syria<br />
edgarblythe

Fri 21 Dec, 2018 02:17 pm
Robert Reich
2 hrs ·
This morning I phoned my friend, the former Republican member of Congress.

ME: So, what are you hearing?

HE: Trump is in deep sh*t.

ME: Tell me more.

HE: When it looked like he was backing down on the wall, Rush and the crazies on Fox went ballistic. So he has to do the shutdown to keep the base happy. They’re his insurance policy. They stand between him and impeachment.

ME: Impeachment? No chance. Senate Republicans would never go along.

HE (laughing): Don’t be so sure. Corporate and Wall Street are up in arms. Trade war was bad enough. Now, you’ve got Mattis resigning in protest. Trump pulling out of Syria, giving Putin a huge win. This dumbass shutdown. The stock market in free-fall. The economy heading for recession.

ME: But the base loves him.

HE: Yeah, but the base doesn’t pay the bills.

ME: You mean …

HE: Follow the money, friend.

ME: The GOP’s backers have had enough?

HE: They wanted Pence all along.

ME: So …

HE: So they’ll wait until Mueller’s report, which will skewer Trump. Pelosi will wait, too. Then after the Mueller bombshell, she’ll get 20, 30, maybe even 40 Republicans to join in an impeachment resolution.

ME: And then?

HE: Senate Republicans hope that’ll be enough -- that Trump will pull a Nixon.

ME: So you think he’ll resign?

HE (laughing): No chance. He’s fu*king out of his mind. He’ll rile up his base into a fever. Rallies around the country. Tweet storms. Hannity. Oh, it’s gonna be ugly. He’ll convince himself he’ll survive.

ME: And then?

HE: That’s when Senate Republicans pull the trigger.

ME: Really? Two-thirds of the Senate?

HE: Do the math. 47 Dems will be on board, so you need 19 Republicans. I can name almost that many who are already there. Won’t be hard to find the votes.

ME: But it will take months. And the country will be put through a ringer.

HE: I know. That’s the worst part.

ME: I mean, we could have civil war.

HE: Hell, no. That’s what he wants, but no chance. His approvals will be in the cellar. America will be glad to get rid of him.

ME: I hope you're right.

HE: He’s a dangerous menace. He’ll be gone. And then he'll be indicted, and Pence will pardon him. But the state investigations may put him in the clinker. Good riddance.