monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 03:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Nothing substantial was done about hearts and minds. They had a brief window to let the people know things were getting better, but instead of investing in infrastructure and healthcare they decided to invade Iraq with no idea of what to do when they won.

True.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 04:26 pm
Quote:
Trump just declared “the United States Military will build the Wall!”

They have the know how. I am glad it is settled.
Quote:
Mexico is paying (indirectly) for the Wall through the new USMCA, the replacement for NAFTA! Far more money coming to the U.S. Because of the tremendous dangers at the Border, including large scale criminal and drug inflow, the United States Military will build the Wall!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 19, 2018

https://therightscoop.com/trump-just-declared-the-united-states-military-will-build-the-wall/
MontereyJack

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 05:25 pm
@coldjoint,
sojers won't get paid to build it.thewy going to build it out of? adobe bricks? NO money to pay for it, and the military is going to rebel at being tasked for it, and come Jan. the Dems will make sure the sojers won't be paid if they're forced to build it. And Trump will have one more shitstorm to face.
Baldimo

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 05:56 pm
@Olivier5,
How far behind is Marcon from following in the foot steps of Belgiem's PM and resigning? We all know he has half the popularity of Trump and yet he still hangs on. Will he get a no confidence vote and resign?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46611320

Quote:
The "class" comment referred to Sanders. I don't know much about Biden.

How classy is it to marry one of your former high school teachers?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Because there was no plan to begin with. It was a half arsed mission doomed to failure from the beginning.

Obama declared victory in 2012 when he ran for reelection, he pulled our troops out and campaigned on it. ISIS/ISIL, became a thing because he made the troops leave in such a hurry, we basicly armed them, then he had to send troops back to fix his mistake, which he failed to do. Trump came into office and actually did take ISIS out, there should be no mission left in Iraq.

Afghanistan on the other hand should have less than 10,000 troops as of May 2018. That should include any combat people and their support groups. I currently have no friends deployed as Chinook crews, so I don't think there are a lot of combat operations going on currently, it's winter time there and the passes are frozen closed.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 06:05 pm
@glitterbag,
Imagine how unfun it would be to be her. One of my least favorite humans but I can sympathize imaging her recognizing some part of that.

But she's not stupid. Recall her earlier warning that if Christie didn't run then Romney would be the candidate and he'd lose. I see this explosion from her in the same manner. The points she makes are good ones.

What I'm trying to grasp here is exactly what/who it is Coulter is trying to protect?
Baldimo

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 06:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
I guess you have never heard of the Army Corps of Engineers... they build all sorts of things all over the world to include here in the US.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 06:39 pm
Have any of you ever had the suspicion that this new sparkly idea is just the result of the brain making a filing error?

Asking for a friend. I'm refusing to say if she's blonde.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:51 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Well, in Afghanistan it was supposed to be to fight the Taliban because they refused to hand over Bin Laden. (now I wonder why we ever thought they would or could)
They could hand over Bin Ladn because they had control over the country.

The fact that they wouldn't is why it was lawful for us to defend ourselves from their aggression.

revelette1 wrote:
But they went off on a sideline to Iraq in the middle of it and conducted the whole operation (Afghanistan and Iraq) in an unlawful manner.
What was supposedly unlawful about our conduct?
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 08:52 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Quote:
in an unlawful manner.
Feel free to tell us what was unlawful.
^^
Exactly.

Nothing was unlawful about our conduct.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:43 pm
U.S. Senate OKs government funding through Feb. 8 to avert shutdown.

Published December 19, 2018
Quote:
The U.S. Senate on Wednesday approved funds for several federal agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security, to keep them operating through Feb. 8 without the $5 billion to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border that President Donald Trump had demanded.

By a voice vote, the Senate passed the temporary funding bill for about one-quarter of government operations, which the House of Representatives is expected to try to pass this week before a midnight Friday deadline when existing funds expire.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/us-senate-oks-government-funding-through-feb-8-to-avert-shutdown/ar-BBRcmBS?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE13DHP

I wonder what Donald Trump will do, if the republican house passes the (Senate funding bill) and sends it Trump to sign without the $5 billion for Trump's wall.
Real Music

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:46 pm
Has Mexico paid for Donald Trump's border wall yet?
coldjoint

Wed 19 Dec, 2018 10:48 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:

Has Mueller found any collusion yet?
snood

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 12:29 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Has Mueller found any collusion yet?

You won't acknowledge it when he does. Does it even occur to you to question why 45 and everyone around him has lied for years, every time they were asked about connections to Russia? No, of course not. So why would you see it or let yourself believe it when the inevitable is revealed - that 45 has always known about and participated in Russia's interference in this country's affairs? You and others like you who defend this traitorous, immoral man are beneath pathetic.
snood

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 12:32 am
@Real Music,
I think he'll sign it - while doing so will be a tacit admission of defeat, he'll do so - albeit with blustering lies about how this is a win for him.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 12:35 am
@snood,
Quote:
You and others like you who defend this traitorous, immoral man are beneath pathetic.

This is not about Obama supporters. Or me.
snood

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 01:01 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
You and others like you who defend this traitorous, immoral man are beneath pathetic.

This is not about Obama supporters. Or me.

"I know you are, but what am I?"
-what passes as witty rejoinder for followers of 45
Builder

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 02:04 am
I wonder what the sudden exit from Syria is all about.

It's been clear since Obama's time that it's a resource grab.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 20 Dec, 2018 02:07 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw all US troops from Syria has been met with strong criticism.

Mr Trump made the announcement on Wednesday, asserting that the Islamic State (IS) group had been defeated.

But major allies, including senior Republicans and foreign powers, have disputed the claim and say the move could lead to a resurgence of IS.

US troops have helped rid much of Syria's north-east of the jihadist group, but pockets of fighters remain.

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who is one of Mr Trump's supporters, called the withdrawal decision a "huge Obama-like mistake".

And the UK government pushed back on the president's assurance that IS had now been defeated.

Senator Graham, who sits on the armed services committee, warned that the withdrawal would have "devastating consequences" both in Syria and beyond.

He said that he feared it would mean ceding influence in the region to Russia and Iran.

"An American withdrawal at this time would be a big win for ISIS [IS], Iran, Bashar al-Assad of Syria, and Russia," he said in a statement.

Meanwhile, the UK government distanced itself from President Trump's assertion that IS had now been defeated.

"Much remains to be done and we must not lose sight of the threat they pose," a statement from the Foreign Office said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46628811
0 Replies