monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:30 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Trump lies constantly.

That has nothing to do with Cohen lying.

0 Replies

hightor

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 04:20 am
The Trump Organization Planned To Give Vladimir Putin The $50 Million Penthouse In Trump Tower Moscow

Quote:
President Donald Trump’s company planned to give a $50 million penthouse at Trump Tower Moscow to Russian President Vladimir Putin as the company negotiated the luxury real estate development during the 2016 campaign, according to four people, one of them the originator of the plan.

Two US law enforcement officials told BuzzFeed News that Michael Cohen, Trump’s personal lawyer at the time, discussed the idea with a representative of Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s press secretary.

The Trump Tower Moscow plan is at the heart of a new plea agreement by Cohen, who led the negotiations to bring a gleaming, 100-story building to the Russian capital. Cohen acknowledged in court that he had lied to Congress about the plan in order to protect Trump and his presidential campaign.

The revelation that representatives of the Trump Organization planned to forge direct financial links with the leader of a hostile nation at the height of the campaign raises fresh questions about President Trump's relationship with the Kremlin. The plan never went anywhere because the tower deal ultimately fizzled, and it is not clear whether Trump knew of the intention to give away the penthouse. But Cohen said in court documents that he regularly briefed Trump and his family on the Moscow negotiations.

BuzzFeed News first reported in May on the secret dealings of Cohen and his business associate Felix Sater with political and business figures in Moscow.

The two men worked furiously behind the scenes into the summer of 2016 to get the Moscow deal finished — despite public claims that the development was canned in January, before Trump won the Republican nomination. Sater told BuzzFeed News today that he and Cohen thought giving the Trump Tower’s most luxurious apartment, a $50 million penthouse, to Putin would entice other wealthy buyers to purchase their own. “In Russia, the oligarchs would bend over backwards to live in the same building as Vladimir Putin,” Sater told BuzzFeed News. “My idea was to give a $50 million penthouse to Putin and charge $250 million more for the rest of the units. All the oligarchs would line up to live in the same building as Putin.” A second source confirmed the plan.

BuzzFeed News first reported in May on the secret dealings of Cohen and his business associate Felix Sater with political and business figures in Moscow.

The two men worked furiously behind the scenes into the summer of 2016 to get the Moscow deal finished — despite public claims that the development was canned in January, before Trump won the Republican nomination. Sater told BuzzFeed News today that he and Cohen thought giving the Trump Tower’s most luxurious apartment, a $50 million penthouse, to Putin would entice other wealthy buyers to purchase their own. “In Russia, the oligarchs would bend over backwards to live in the same building as Vladimir Putin,” Sater told BuzzFeed News. “My idea was to give a $50 million penthouse to Putin and charge $250 million more for the rest of the units. All the oligarchs would line up to live in the same building as Putin.” A second source confirmed the plan.

Sater, a brash real estate promoter who pleaded guilty to racketeering in 1998 and became a longtime asset to US law enforcement and intelligence agencies, had worked with the Trump Organization on deals in the past and said he came up with the idea. Cohen, Sater recalled, said, “Great idea.”

Cohen would not comment. Cohen’s attorney, Guy Petrillo, did not return a detailed message. The Trump Organization also did not return a message seeking comment. A spokesperson for the Kremlin declined to answer questions about the project.

Trump had personally signed the letter of intent to move forward on the Trump Tower Moscow plan on Oct. 28, 2015, the day of the third Republican primary debate.

On Thursday, shortly after news broke about Cohen’s guilty plea, Trump told reporters, “There was a good chance that I wouldn’t have won” the presidential election, “in which case I would have gotten back into the business, and why should I lose lots of opportunities?”

According to the criminal information filed against Cohen Thursday, on Jan. 20, 2016, he spoke with a Russian government official, referred to only as Assistant 1, about the Trump Tower Moscow plan for 20 minutes. This person appears to be an assistant to Peskov, a top Kremlin official whom Cohen had attempted to reach by email.

Cohen “requested assistance in moving the project forward, both in securing land to build the proposed tower and financing the construction,” the court document states.

Cohen had previously maintained that he never got a response from the official, but in court on Thursday he acknowledged that was a lie.

Two FBI agents with direct knowledge of the Trump Tower Moscow negotiations told BuzzFeed News earlier this year that Cohen was in frequent contact with foreign individuals about the real estate venture — and that some of these individuals had knowledge of or played a role in 2016 election meddling. The identity of those individuals remains unknown.

Developing a tower in Russia had long been a dream of the Trump Organization, which pursued a deal there for three decades. After Trump announced his candidacy in the summer of 2015, Sater saw an opportunity to revive the development.

“I figured, he’s in the news, his name is generating a lot of good press,” Sater told BuzzFeed News earlier this year. “A lot of Russians weren’t willing to pay a premium licensing fee to put Donald’s name on their building. Now maybe they would be.”

So he turned to his old friend, Cohen, to get it off the ground. They arranged a licensing deal, by which Trump would lend his name to the project and collect a part of the profits. Sater lined up a Russian development company to build the project and said that VTB, a Russian financial institution that faced US sanctions at the time, would finance it. VTB officials have denied taking part in any negotiations about the project.

The back-and-forth carried into the summer, when Sater said that top bankers and government officials wanted to meet with Cohen and Trump in Russia.

Cohen said that Trump planned to go after the Republican convention in July. Cohen pleaded guilty to lying to Congress about this, and has acknowledged that he did so to protect the president.

source
farmerman

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 06:20 am
@hightor,
not that theres anything wrong with that. I see on this AM;s FOX n Friends that the "New Trumpian Truth" is just that. He sounds more and more like Bart Simpson each day on.

"I didnt do it"

Nobody saw me do it"

ya cant prove I did it"

"Even if I did it theres nothing wrong with it"
Baldimo

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 09:39 am
@farmerman,
Taking a page right out of the Hillary play book.
revelette1

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 09:47 am
Quote:
Michael Cohen’s guilty plea in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation on Thursday threatens to unveil an explosive possible reason why President Donald Trump adamantly wants friendly ties with Russia — a long-sought real estate deal.

A court document filed by Mueller states that Cohen — Trump’s former personal lawyer and fixer — lied to Congress at least three separate times about plans to build a Trump Tower in Moscow with Trump’s name prominently featured on top.

Cohen testified to Congress that negotiations to build Europe’s tallest building stopped in January 2016. But emails and other communications obtained by multiple news outlets, and now basically confirmed by Cohen, show those negotiations actually continued much longer: into at least June 2016, after Trump had already become the Republican Party’s nominee. And Buzzfeed News reported on Thursday that Trump’s company planned to give the $50 million penthouse in the building to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

That matters, because it puts Trump’s praise of Russia and Putin in a whole new light — what most animated his warmth may have been personal profit. What’s more, it’s entirely possible that Trump knew a close confidante willingly lied to Congress earlier in the investigation.

It looks like Mueller is intimately aware of those communications, too — and he now has Cohen’s full cooperation. That could spell trouble for Trump, because has long said he never had anything to do or at stake with Russia, but that’s clearly not the case.

Yet Trump seems unfazed. After the Cohen plea deal was announced Thursday, Trump told reporters that he never really cared about the tower project and was focused solely on running for president. “I wasn’t trying to hide anything,” he said, adding that “we decided — I decided ultimately not to do it. There would have been nothing wrong if I did do it.

But what’s clear is that Cohen not only spoke to Trump about the plans during the campaign, but that the Trump Organization was in contact with high-level Russian officials at the same time. (link embedded)

Put together, it’s very possible that Trump’s desire for friendly US-Russia relations has less to do with what’s good for America and more to do with what’s good for him.

What follows is a review about the many years Trump tried to do business in Russia, what Cohen specifically lied about, why he may have lied — and how it could impact the president.

Trump wanted to build in Moscow for decades

Before we get to Cohen’s lies about the so-called “Trump Tower Moscow” project, it’s important to know this: The president’s claim that he never cared about building something in Russia doesn’t track with his many failed attempts to do so over 30 years.

“Russia is one of the hottest places in the world for investment,” Trump said in a 2007 deposition. “We will be in Moscow at some point.”

Let’s start from the beginning. In his 1987 book The Art of the Deal, for example, Trump wrote that he spoke with then-Soviet ambassador Yuri Dubinin “about building a large luxury hotel across the street from the Kremlin in partnership with the Soviet government.” Trump actually traveled to the country that year to scout locations.

That didn’t pan out, but he kept trying. In 1996, the Trump Organization briefly explored a potential deal, but it proved fruitless.

In 2005, Trump’s company signed a one-year deal with the Bayrock Group to push a construction project in Moscow through. One of the real-estate firm’s leaders was the Russian-born and mafia-linked businessman Felix Sater. Working with Russian investors, Sater found an old pencil factory he believed could be destroyed and replaced with a luxurious skyscraper.

Sater and Trump grew their rapport during that time, Sater said during sworn testimony in an unrelated libel case. He also recalled keeping Trump informed about the deal’s progress.

“I handled all of the negotiations,” he said. He added that his interactions with Trump were “more of verbal updates when I’d come back, pop my head into Mr. Trump’s office and tell him, you know, ‘Moving forward on the Moscow deal.’ And he would say, ‘All right.’ ”

“I showed him photos, I showed him the site, showed him the view from the site. It’s pretty spectacular,” he continued.

That deal never materialized, but Sater would remain in the Trump Organization’s orbit. In 2006, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump traveled with Sater in Moscow. While there, Sater took the Trump children on a tour of the Kremlin — during which Ivanka even sat and spun around in Putin’s chair while the Russian president wasn’t around.

(Vox reached out to Sater for comment, but he has not responded as of publication time.)

In November 2013, Trump traveled to Moscow for the Ms. Universe pageant. It’s around this time that Trump’s desire to do business in Russia seemed to grow even stronger.

Months before going, Trump tweeted his hope that he and Putin would become close at the event. Because no major deal in Russia really gets done without high-level support from the Kremlin, Trump surely knew a good relationship with Putin would remove obstacles toward a final agreement.

Quote:
Donald J Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow - if so, will he become my new best friend?
(link embedded)

And although during that trip Trump only spent two nights at the Ritz Carlton in Moscow, the site of some salacious allegations against Trump, a lot happened. For one, two real estate impresarios — Alex Sapir and Rotem Rosen, who both have connections to Putin’s cohorts — joined Trump in Russia and worked to make a real-estate deal happen.

Trump also filmed a small part in a music video for pop star Emin Agalarov, the son of Aras Agalarov, a Russian billionaire tycoon with ties to Putin. Aras has previously claimed he helped Trump meet with local and foreign business leaders to discuss real-estate opportunities.

Afterward, Trump tweeted his pleasure with the trip and the Agalarovs — even referencing his wishes for a future “TRUMP TOWER-MOSCOW.”

Quote:
Donald J Trump
@realDonaldTrump

@AgalarovAras I had a great weekend with you and your family. You have done a FANTASTIC job. TRUMP TOWER-MOSCOW is next. EMIN was WOW!

Still, however, no real-estate deal materialized.

Trump’s company made a 2015 Moscow tower bid.

Trump announced his candidacy for president in July 2015 — and Sater saw an opportunity.

“I figured, he’s in the news, his name is generating a lot of good press,” Sater told BuzzFeed News on May 17. “A lot of Russians weren’t willing to pay a premium licensing fee to put Donald’s name on their building. Now maybe they would be.”

This is where Michael Cohen really comes into the story.

Sater organized a meeting with Cohen — who at the time was representing Trump — in September 2015 to discuss having Trump license his name on a Russian-built edifice. Trump’s company wouldn’t actually construct the tower, but it would put his name on the structure and receive a portion of the revenue it generated. The two men came to an accord: Sater would find the builder and financiers for the project, while Cohen would ensure Trump signed the final agreement.

Sater was very confident. “I will get Putin on this program and we will get Donald elected,” Sater emailed Cohen. “Buddy our boy can become President of the USA and we can engineer it. I will get all of Putins [sic] team to buy in on this.”

The Russian-born businessman worked his contacts, and on October 12, 2015, emailed Cohen that Putin and a “top deputy” would meet with a surrogate for Sater in Moscow. What’s more, a Russian bank — VTB Bank — would fund the project. (The bank’s chair, Andrey Kostin, however, denies ever meeting Sater and says that his organization was never involved in a Trump Tower plan.)

One day later, Sater sent a nonbinding letter of intent, signed by Andrey Rozov, a well-to-do Moscow developer, to Cohen. The 17-page document would allow Cohen to negotiate the licensing deal with the Russians once Trump signed it. Some of the proposals in it are striking, including that it would be 100-stories tall with a pointy top and that any spas or fitness areas be branded “The Spa by Ivanka Trump.”

Trump eventually signed the letter of intent on October 28, 2015 — the same day as the third Republican presidential debate. Cohen afterward wrote to Sater and Rozov “we are truly looking forward to this wonderful opportunity.”

“Everything will be negotiated and discussed not with flunkies but with people who will have dinner with Putin and discuss the issues and get a go-ahead,” Sater wrote Cohen on November 3. “My next steps are very sensitive with Putin’s very, very close people. We can pull this off.”

They eventually had a falling out, in part because Sater couldn’t deliver. The effort died.

Cohen lied about the 2015 “Trump Tower Moscow” effort
So there are all these efforts by the Trump Organization over the years to develop this Trump Tower property. No big deal, right? After all, Trump was a real-estate mogul for most of his life — developing real-estate properties is what he does. What’s so wrong with that?

By itself, probably nothing. The critical question, though, is whether Trump’s desire to develop this property compromised him during his presidential campaign — making him more susceptible to the Kremlin’s attempts to influence the outcome of the 2016 election.

That’s one of the key questions the special counsel investigation — and the parallel congressional investigations — has been trying to answer.

To that end, Congress called Cohen in to testify before them in a closed-door setting last year.

According to Mueller’s court filing on Thursday, Cohen sent a two-page letter to the House and Senate intelligence committees on or around August 28, 2017, in which he answered questions about the Moscow deal.

Here are three key things Cohen said in that letter, per Mueller’s team:

1. The Trump Tower Moscow project ended in January 2016 and was not discussed extensively with others in the Trump Organization.

2. Cohen “never agreed” to travel to Russia in connection with the Moscow project and “never considered” asking Trump to travel for the project.

3. Cohen “did not recall any Russian government response or contact about the Moscow Project.”

Now we know that all of those statements are lies. And we know that because Cohen himself admitted it in court on Thursday. “I made these statements to be consistent with Individual-1’s political messaging and to be loyal to Individual-1,” he told the federal court (“Individual-1” refers to Trump).

Here’s what actually happened, according to Cohen:

First, discussions about the Trump Tower Moscow project went deep into the presidential campaign — at least to June 2016 — and didn’t end that

January as Cohen had previously stated. He also admitted that he spoke with Trump more than three times about the project — more than he confessed to before — and even briefed members of the president’s family.

What’s more, the court filing says Cohen and “Individual-2” — very likely Sater — “as late as approximately June 2016 ... discussed efforts to obtain Russian governmental approval for the Moscow Project.”

Second, Cohen did consider traveling to Russia and taking Trump with him. Cohen also asked a senior campaign official about the possibility for Trump to take a business trip to Russia.

It gets worse: The Mueller filing contains several instances of Cohen and Sater (“Individual-2”) emailing in May 2016 about plans for Cohen’s trip to Russia. In one message, Sater tells Cohen that a Russian official wants to meet him at a conference and “possibly introduce him” to either the President of Russia or the Prime Minister of Russia, “as they are not sure if 1 or both will be there.”

He originally agreed to go. But on June 14, 2016, he told Sater that he wouldn’t be traveling to Russia after all. That’s interesting timing, as it’s the same day the Washington Post reported that Russia hacked into the Democratic National Committee’s computer network.

Third, Russian government officials did respond to Cohen’s inquiries about the Moscow project. Around January 14, 2016, Cohen emailed the office of “Russian Official 1” — almost certainly Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s press secretary and trusted adviser — seeking help with the tower deal.

“I am hereby requesting your assistance,” Cohen wrote. “I respectfully request someone, preferably you, contact me so that I might discuss the specifics as well as arranging meetings with the appropriate individuals.”

About six days later, an assistant of Peskov’s wrote back requesting that Cohen call. He did shortly after receiving the email, and they spoke for about 20 minutes in which he outlined ways the assistant’s office could help move the deal forward.

The Kremlin originally denied ever responding to Cohen, with Peskov saying on August 30 2017 that “we do not react to such business topics.” But on Thursday, shortly after Cohen pleaded guilty, Peskov changed the story. “Later we called and asked why they wanted to have meeting in presidential Administration and explained that we have nothing to do with construction issues in the City of Moscow,” he said in a statement.

Quote:
LINK TO MARSHALL COHEN TWEET

Marshall Cohen
@Marshall Cohen

The Kremlin was caught in an apparent lie about Michael Cohen. Putin spox Dmitry Peskov acknowledged today that his office called Cohen in 2016 to discuss Trump Tower Moscow. But Peskov said last year they never replied to Cohen because "we do not react to such business topics."

So why would Cohen lie about the Trump Tower Moscow project?
Experts I talked to say Cohen had good reason to want to keep his efforts to develop the Trump Tower Moscow project under wraps: It just looks bad. A Trump representative trying to secure a lucrative business deal with Russians closely linked with Putin on Trump’s behalf during the 2016 presidential election — all while Trump was repeatedly championing better Washington-Moscow ties in campaign speeches — probably wouldn’t play well with congressional investigators.

So instead of telling Congress and others the truth, Cohen chose to lie.

But now, he’s come clean. It’s possible Cohen confessed about the Trump Tower Moscow efforts in hopes of reducing his punishment for lying to Congress. ABC’s George Stephanopoulos reported on Thursday that Cohen will now provide “dozens of hours of testimony potentially damaging to” Trump.

Trump, however, still defends his company’s push to make a deal in Russia.

“There was a good chance that I wouldn’t have won [the election], in which case I would have gone back into the business,” he told reporters on
Thursday. “And why should I lose lots of opportunities?”

Mueller may see things differently.

VOX
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 09:48 am
@Baldimo,
yawn
Real Music

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:34 am
GOP governors call out Trump after midterm drubbing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-governors-call-out-trump-after-midterm-drubbing/ar-BBQhXal?ocid=UE13DHP
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 11:04 am
@revelette1,
That's pretty much what this Trump/Russian collusion scam is generating as well, yawns.
hightor

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 11:22 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
That's pretty much what this Trump/Russian collusion scam is generating as well, yawns.

So it's all right with you if foreign adversaries infiltrate social media platforms and spread disinformation about candidates and work to further divide the electorate? You know, the point of the investigation isn't to prove Trump/Russian collusion but to find out exactly what happened — who did what, when, and why. As a self-styled "patriot" you really find the idea of hostile foreign powers subverting one of the central components of representative democracy something to shrug off?
Baldimo

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 11:44 am
@hightor,
Quote:
So it's all right with you if foreign adversaries infiltrate social media platforms and spread disinformation about candidates and work to further divide the electorate?

That question is a far cry from Trump and Russia working together to steal the election.

Quote:
You know, the point of the investigation isn't to prove Trump/Russian collusion but to find out exactly what happened — who did what, when, and why.

Why are you lying? This entire investigation has been directly about Trump and how he worked with the Russians to defeat Hillary Clinton. If this wasn't about trying to get Trump, why was their a special prosecutor brought in to investigate Trump? The Trump Dossier was the founding document for the investigation., have you not been paying attention to the links behind it, Fusion GPS and the rest of the game players in the US govt? Do you know who Bruce Ohr is and his connections to Fusion GPS?

Quote:
As a self-styled "patriot" you really find the idea of hostile foreign powers subverting one of the central components of representative democracy something to shrug off?

Self styled? Is that anything like you being a self-styled Socialist?

I have no problem with our govt investigating Russia trying to interfere with our elections but that isn't what this investigation was about and you know it, Mueller only has eyes for Trump.
coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:05 pm
Quote:
Media Refuses to Report Marc Lamont Hill's Support for Anti-Semitic Violence

I said that would happen. Here is how a liberal rag Huffington Post and others put it.
Quote:
Politico's Matthew Choi did an entire story, which gave Hill the last word, and failed to mention his support for the murder of Jews. The Washington Post's Eli Rosenberg similarly spun this, refusing to report on Hill's support for terrorism.

The Huffington Post allowed Yousef Munnayer to run a defense of Hill headlined, "CNN Fired Marc Lamont Hill For Saying Palestinians Deserve Equal Rights". That's after Verizon's HuffPo repeatedly gave Hill a forum to spew his hatred.

The Forward, anti-Semitism's useful idiots, claimed that Hill was fired for "Palestinian nationalist phrase".

The Hollywood Report's Jeremy Barr also refused to mention Hill's comments about terrorism.

Hard left media outlets went even further.

Splinter's Paul Blest claimed that the bigot was the victim. Glenn Greenwald of Iranian-Qatari propaganda site, The Intercept, refused to report on Hill's support for violence, but instead claimed that he was the victim of an internet outrage mob.

Greenwald has his own history of supporting anti-Semitic Islamic terrorists. And that's a major part of what The Intercept does.

The problem, as I write, is far bigger than Hill.

So the MSM is not telling the whole story, but they never do. This is nothing more than normalizing anti-Semetic opinions and actions.
https://www.frontpagemag.com/point/272104/media-refuses-report-marc-lamont-hills-support-daniel-greenfield#.XAERxrABbP8.twitter
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:14 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/afb112818dAPR20181128044506.jpg
https://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2018/11/28/161667
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:24 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/Stolen20181120015257.jpg
https://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2018/11/20/161501
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:29 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
This entire investigation has been directly about Trump and how he worked with the Russians to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Um, who was running for president? You had two main candidates, one of which was Trump — friendly to Russia and admiring of Putin, and the other was Clinton — targeted for defeat by Moscow. Who met with the Russians in Trump Tower? Jill Stein's campaign committee? John Podesta? No one is saying that Trump was there himself but the meeting raises significant questions which should be investigated.
Quote:

Why are you lying?

Why are you denying any possibility of the Trump campaign's involvement with Russia?
Quote:
This entire investigation has been directly about Trump and how he worked with the Russians to defeat Hillary Clinton.

No, it's about Russian meddling in the 2016 campaign. Had it been directly about Trump it wouldn't have been authorized by the Republicans in power.
Quote:
Do you know who Bruce Ohr is and his connections to Fusion GPS?

Sure, I've heard about it. His wife was hired to do opposition research on Trump. So what?
Quote:
Self styled? Is that anything like you being a self-styled Socialist?

No, not at all. Because I'm not a "socialist", I merely accept that aspects of socialism are usefully and successfully employed in modern developed economies.

Apparently it's fine with you to just forget about the meddling. Hell, how does a compromised election due to foreign interference stack up against real important matters, like requiring people to undergo background checks before they're allowed to purchase a firearm — what a patriot!
Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:06 pm
Quote:
New Details Reinforce That The FBI Used Fake Pretexts To Start Investigating Trump

That has been obvious for a long time.
Quote:
The details in Paletta’s text mirror the information contained in the Steele dossier memorandum dated July 19, 2016. The July 26, 2016, date of the text indicates Steele must have shared his supposed intelligence with the Washington Post reporter around that time. Here are relevant sections in the dossier memorandum, below.

http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/cleveland11.30.2-768x896.jpg
Looks like the intelligence here is an open book for the WP reporter. A set-up from the get go.
http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/30/new-details-reinforce-fbi-used-fake-pretexts-start-investigating-trump/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:28 pm
Quote:
by Alan M. Dershowitz

A liberal heavyweight.
Quote:

Even if Mueller could prove that members of the Trump team had colluded with Julian Assange to use material that Assange had unlawfully obtained, that, too, would not be a crime.

Merely using the product of an already committed theft of information is not a crime. If you don't believe me, ask the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Guardian and other newspapers that used material illegally obtained by Assange with full knowledge that it was illegally obtained.

In the end, Mueller should be judged by how successful he has been in satisfying his central mission. Judged by that standard and based on what we now know, he seems to be an abysmal failure.

Hmm.

Quote:
Perhaps more will come out when his report is published, but it is unlikely that he uncovered anything dramatically new with regard to allegations that the Trump campaign acted illegally in an attempt to help Russia undercut Hillary Clinton's campaign. Even if the report alleges uncharged criminal behavior, it must be remembered that much of what will be in the report are merely allegations based on uncross-examined evidence. Some of that evidence seems to come from admitted liars, who have pleaded guilty for lying. These liars would make poor witnesses in an actual trial, but if their evidence serves as a basis for conclusions reached in the Mueller report, then these conclusions may seem more credible than they actually are. We must, of course, wait for the publication of the Mueller report before reaching any final judgments, but if the Mueller report merely catalogues all the guilty pleas and indictments achieved thus far for lying and unrelated financial crimes, and tries to build a case of guilt by association around them, the American public will be justly critical of the process.

Bottom line, Mueller has **** and shoved in it. It will all come down to MSM reporting unproven crimes to keep a poorly manufactured narrative alive.

Quote:
Alan M. Dershowitz is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law Emeritus at Harvard Law School and author of The Case Against Impeaching Trump, Skyhorse publishing, 2018.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/13363/robert-mueller-modus-operandi#.XAEdS2Qt_tY.twitter

0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:30 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Um, who was running for president? You had two main candidates, one of which was Trump — friendly to Russia and admiring of Putin, and the other was Clinton — targeted for defeat by Moscow. Who met with the Russians in Trump Tower? Jill Stein's campaign committee? John Podesta? No one is saying that Trump was there himself but the meeting raises significant questions which should be investigated.

In one post you deny it is about Trump and Russia and in another post you admit it is about Trump and Russia...
Quote:
You know, the point of the investigation isn't to prove Trump/Russian collusion but to find out exactly what happened — who did what, when, and why.

Quote:
Why are you denying any possibility of the Trump campaign's involvement with Russia?

Mainly because the left thinks so strongly that it happened and it was said within hours of him winning the election. It was the excuse they use for loosing elections, it's a tired old tactic by the left, they lose so someone else had to cheat.

Quote:
No, it's about Russian meddling in the 2016 campaign. Had it been directly about Trump it wouldn't have been authorized by the Republicans in power.

So now you want to separate the Senate investigation from the Mueller witch hunt?

Quote:
Sure, I've heard about it. His wife was hired to do opposition research on Trump. So what?

If that was all that was going on... I see you are only paying attention to the dirt that pushes your agenda.

Quote:
No, not at all. Because I'm not a "socialist", I merely accept that aspects of socialism are usefully and successfully employed in modern developed economies.

Where would that be, Venezuela?

Quote:
Apparently it's fine with you to just forget about the meddling.

As I said before, there is a difference between meddling and collusion. You aren't interested in meddling, you are only interested in collusion and collusion by the Trump campaign.

Quote:
Hell, how does a compromised election due to foreign interference stack up against real important matters,

The election wasn't compromised, Russian agents buying ad's Facebook and generating meme's didn't have the effect on the election you want it to have had. In fact it has already been mentioned that the FB "influence" had no impact on the election.

Quote:
like requiring people to undergo background checks before they're allowed to purchase a firearm — what a patriot!

We already have background checks on gun sales, and ID checks. What's your point, do you just want to spread more anti-gun rhetoric?