monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Real Music

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 02:02 pm
Judge Andrew Napolitano explained why President Trump's pick for acting attorney general after Jeff Sessions' resignation is professionally but not legally qualified for the role.

Published on Nov 8, 2018
0 Replies

Real Music

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 02:13 pm
New attorney general, new headaches for Trump

Published November 9, 2018
Quote:
President Donald Trump may soon come to miss his old attorney general.

The decision to fire Jeff Sessions as attorney general was hardly a surprise. Trump had long chained him to a rock like Prometheus and sent tweets to pick at Sessions’ liver.

Once we were past the midterms, it was plain that Sessions would soon enough be heading home to Mobile.

What mattered more was Trump’s choice to replace him. As we have discussed before, the president would have long ago sacked the much-maligned Alabamian but for the fact that any replacement who could get confirmed by the Senate might be even more disobliging than Sessions.

The solution Trump seized upon the minute the pressure of the midterm elections had passed was to pick a loyalist, a former cable news commentator, a sharp critic of the probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election and reportedly an informal adviser to Trump as Sessions’ temporary replacement.

Trump’s message was clear: Time’s up, Robert Mueller.

But in Matthew Whitaker, Trump may not have found deliverance but instead complicated matters for himself even more.

In the post-Watergate era, the Justice Department has operated under strict rules about professional conduct and with built-in curbs against the kind of executive abuses committed by Richard Nixon.

For starters, that means that there’s even a question whether Whitaker is eligible for the job. Trump holds that since Whitaker was confirmed 14 years ago to serve as a federal prosecutor in southern Iowa, Whitaker doesn’t need Senate confirmation to lead the Justice Department. But as former Judge Andrew Napolitano pointed out, that’s a pretty thin claim.

Since his appointment, Whitaker’s sudden celebrity has revealed lots of baggage. Aside from his work for a Republican attack-dog group, there are his many publicly stated opinions about the Mueller probe both in writing and as a legal commentator for CNN. Then there’s his association with a dodgy-sounding firm that paid a huge fraud settlement.

Senate Republicans are already pushing back privately and not so privately. By next week, the pressure will be intense.

The White House seems to be distancing itself from Whitaker, whom the president today claimed not to know. But Trump seems to be struggling to find a confirmable candidate to take over the agency permanently, especially before the Russia probe is concluded. Labor Secretary Alex Acosta could be slid into the post without Senate confirmation, but is said to not want the job.

Now, if Whitaker just squats over at the Justice Department and doesn’t do much but be Trump’s eyes and ears, the acting attorney general can probably persist for a while. But It won’t be long before the position becomes untenable. The Russia probe needs tending and other criminal matters related to the president are ripening.

If Whitaker starts making material decisions relating to Trump or takes any provocative actions toward Mueller, all hell will break loose.

White House whisperers say that former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is the frontrunner to replace Sessions. That confirmation hearing would be a doozy as Trump’s campaign transition chairman was asked to explain his independence and then grilled on his own legal woes in New Jersey. Christie would be no sure thing in the Senate.

The universe of potential replacements who would take the job and be confirmed starts to look vanishingly small.

Trump lessened the fallout from his firing of James Comey as FBI director by tapping Christopher Wray, a well-regarded and highly accomplished former federal prosecutor, as his replacement.

By choosing Whitaker to replace Sessions, Trump has made his own life more difficult.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-attorney-general-new-headaches-for-trump
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 02:16 pm
Quote:
US Opposes, For First Time, UN Condemning Israel’s Presence in Golan Heights

About time. Probably bigger news than another legal battle about what Trump can or cannot do. Those are a daily occurrence. This is a huge show of US support for Israel.
Quote:
The United States has abstained in previous years on the “Occupied Syrian Golan” resolution, which declares Israel’s decision to impose its jurisdiction in the area “null and void,” but US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Thursday that Washington would vote against the resolution.

http://tammybruce.com/2018/11/us-opposes-for-first-time-un-resolution-condemning-israels-presence-in-golan-heights.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:25 pm
@nimh,
Capitalism has demonstrated an enormous capacity to create an exponentially increasing amount of waste and pollution, as its ability to create wealth (at least for some) relies on ever increasing production and consumption. But the track record of communism wasn't really any better.

The track record of communism has been worse because, thus far, it has been a track record of dictatorships in which the will of the people is unheard.

The "culprit" if you will is Industrialism, not capitalism or communism, and where would we be without it? The idea of a modern agrarian utopia where everyone's mechanical needs are met by artisans is a fantasy. No industrialism, no tremendous advances in medicine and food production. A great deal more plagues and famine. No industrialism, still plenty of bloody wars. Gosh, if humans would just be satisfied with hovels, taters and animal dung to keep them from freezing, what a wonderful world it would be!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:36 pm
@hightor,
The world economy has been functioning as a capitalist system for several hundred years

Thank Goodness because without it the world would be in more dire straits unless you believe capitalism is responsible for the fecundity of our species.

There is nothing really to compare it to because it has been wildly successful and defeated all other economic systems. There is a reason why all communist regimes moved towards capitalism and it certainly wasn't a desire to be more evil.

Quote:
it evolved organically in step with technology

So technology is the problem heh?

You sound like a Luddite.

Setanta

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:43 pm
Everyone is tripping merrily along, comparing capitalism (an economic system) to communism (a political system, with an unfortunate history of totalitarianism). But fascism is simply capitalism with an unfortunate history of totalitarianism. No one is saying a damned thing about liberal, social democracy--which has managed to rebuild Europe after two devastating major wars, and with a proven track record of social and environmental protection. The capitalists in this crowd would have us believe that that economic system is responsible for lifting people out of poverty. Most capitalists seem never to have realized that to erect a consumer economy, which is the only way to realize the benefits of value-added production, you need to greatly reduce or eliminate poverty altogether. Your average American capitalist still bleats about laissez-faire and "free market" capitalism--neither of which has ever existed. Twenty thousand years ago, when the first spear-thrower was invented, you can bet the tribe wasn't going to let some goof go sell that to the neighboring tribes. Even without the consideration of warfare (for which there is no evidence in that period), when you are competing for resources, you don't give up your advantages.

Of course, what American capitalists really want is no government regulation at all, and the people be damned. I consider them, people like the Koch brothers, to be neo-fascists. They want to cut out the middleman, the politician, and make governments wholly owned subsidiaries of their enterprises.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:48 pm
@hightor,
So you are arguing that liberals are tougher on Christians than Muslims because they see them more often?

Yes, here in America there are Christians trying to take away your free birth control pills, but around the world, there are Muslims who are trying to take away lives. I consider the former far less of a threat than the latter.

In both cases, we are talking about a segment of the adherents to their religion. Liberals who (rightly) object when anyone tries to lump all Muslims in the category of Islamists are perfectly happy treating Christians as a homogeneous and infernal group. This is hypocritical and rather than acknowledging it you are trying to defend it.

Quote:
I didn't say that it is more significant. I said that there is a difference between people who worship and believe a certain way and people who who worship and believe a certain way and are moved to violence.

I'm afraid I find this incoherent.

The left having a bizarre and special place in its heart does not mean that all of its members are crypto-Islamists. That's an absurd argument that no one has made and which is absurd to try and counter.

Instead, the (Western) left has deigned Muslims to be one of their sacred victim groups, solely because there are rightwing voices who demonize them. Having been granted this exalted status it follows that you will minimize or ignore their atrocities. Much as you do with Palestinians.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Christianity is taken for granted by most in a Christian country. Muslims are a minority and are subject to the prejudices and charitable acts of the majority. Their status, more so than their character, gains them the extra attention.

Five people thumbed this drivel up. Maybe one can explain it to me.
Setanta

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:49 pm
The fecundity of our species, ha! Male fertility in industrialized societies with social welfare systems has been declining markedly since the 1950s. The only reason to "go forth and multiply" is to provide free labor for your family enterprise. The best way to reduce world population would be to assure that everyone has enough to eat, shelter, even just minimal health care, and retirement security. It cracks me up when capitalists pretend to be all logical and sciency.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Are the Christian terrorists in Africa taking their vile fanaticism outside of their borders?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 04:53 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
No one is saying a damned thing about liberal, social democracy--which has managed to rebuild Europe after two devastating major wars

And are fundamentally capitalist nations.
coldjoint

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 05:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I can explain he knows nothing about Islam. Muslims are told to set themselves apart to be noticed and make their ways known to all around them in any host country. We have seen how some go about that. Edgar only deals with victims, that is how he sees Muslims. He is wrong.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 06:37 pm
The new firing line with Margaret interviewing Tom Steyer.

Tom Steyer, founder of Need To Impeach and NextGen America, joins to discuss the role of money in political advocacy and impeachment.
https://www.wliw.org/programs/firing-line/tom-steyer-xdkocn/
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 06:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So technology is the problem heh?

I don't know why you interpreted my remark that way. I was outlining some of the reasons for capitalism's ascendance — the introduction and continuing development of technology provided for great increases in all aspects of food production and distribution, public health, rising living standards, etc. The so-called "other systems" basically had to piggyback onto the pre-existing capitalist model that was already in place; it's not as if the evolving concept of the profit-driven market economy was ever in jeopardy. And any successful economic model has got to respond to changing technology.
RABEL222

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 07:55 pm
@Setanta,
Don't forget that many of our so called capitalists were selling war material to Japan and Germany until we became involved in the second world war.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So you are arguing that liberals are tougher on Christians than Muslims because they see them more often?

It's not a matter of being "tougher" against one group or the other. In my daily life I'm more apt to see negative or questionable aspects of Christianity played out before me in real world experience.
Quote:
...but around the world, there are Muslims who are trying to take away lives.

I'm aware of that. It doesn't change the degree of influence that Christianity has in this country.
Quote:
Liberals who (rightly) object when anyone tries to lump all Muslims in the category of Islamists are perfectly happy treating Christians as a homogeneous and infernal group. This is hypocritical and rather than acknowledging it you are trying to defend it.

I'm not trying to defend anything. In English it's common usage to refer to large varied groups of people who self-identify as members of a particular belief system under the most general of terms. We can discuss the actions of "Republicans" in Congress without implying that every individual Republican is at fault. When I'm in an argument about abortion rights I'll often refer to prominent Christian leaders who defend reproductive freedom. When using general terms it's good to specify exceptions and irregularities and that's what I find missing from some of the anti-muslim "hateful screeds" we see posted in this thread.
Quote:
I'm afraid I find this incoherent.

The difference between the two type of worshipers and believers is that some are moved to commit violence. Obviously the horror of a coordinated mass terror attack can hardly be compared to an isolated clinic bombing. But that doesn't mean that Islam is a "more murderous" religion than Christianity. [Not that you make that claim.] Both religions motivate some followers to commit antisocial acts.
Quote:
Having been granted this exalted status it follows that you will minimize or ignore their atrocities. Much as you do with Palestinians.

I don't know what you expect people to do to show that they don't "ignore Muslim atrocities". I'm not unaware of them. But I don't see why I should be expected to proclaim my hatred for ISIS, my total opposition to al-Shabab, or my longtime disgust with the Palestinians on a regular basis — or even at all. Since when are people expected to provide these cute little "loyalty oaths" to prove they don't support Islamic terrorism???
oralloy

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:17 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
He attacked Muslim Gold Star parents
The author of this Huffington Post article is lying.

The left spouts untrue accusations of racism because it can't justify its extreme positions using facts and logic.
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

In the words of George Carlin; "It's a big club, and we ain't in it...".

The nepotism apparent in these pages is comical, at best, and ludicrous, at worst. Point this out, and you'll have your post removed.

This place is peopled by paid hacks.

It's rather pointless even presenting information that undermines their propaganda.
roger

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 09:38 pm
@Builder,
nepotism?
ehBeth

Sun 18 Nov, 2018 09:41 pm
today's elegant tweets by #45 must have been set off by something

oh

yeah

maybe something like this

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/after-the-midterms-robert-muellers-got-a-new-wingman-on-capitol-hill

on the double upside, Schitt's Creek got some great free publicity from it all
0 Replies