monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 01:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

If I were Trump,

Thanks for reminding us that despite how bad things are right now, they could be one hell of a lot worse.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 01:22 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

....our system(Constitution). The very concepts in that document should make your day.

Says the guy who has been complaining about the prospect of the House of Representatives, the Congress, or the Judicial branch (2/3rds of our government) actually doing their Constitution mandated duty of putting a check on the excesses of any of the branches.

Before attempting to use the Constitution as a basis for an argument, maybe you should make sure you understand it.

https://www.history.com/topics/us-government/checks-and-balances

MontereyJack

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 01:23 pm
Just another Trump lie blows up in his face. Just snother campaign crime violation for him. Most corrupt president ever. Half the country wants him impeached. Makes sense. FromThe Hill:
Quote:

Report: Trump played key role in coordinating hush money payments to Daniels, McDougal

Tal Axelrod 32 mins ago

President sending lawyers to Fla.; Dems dig in fors According to the Wall Street Journal, Donald Trump was heavily involved in payment deals with Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal.
President Trump was heavily involved during his presidential campaign in silencing the stories of women who claimed to have extramarital affairs with him, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal that contradicts years of denials from Trump.
Federal prosecutors have gathered evidence that Trump worked with his friend and media executive David Pecker to use the National Enquirer tabloid to buy the silence of adult-film star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal, according to interviews the Journal did with three dozen people with knowledge of the transactions.
Trump was involved in nearly every step of the process to prevent Daniels and McDougal from publicizing their stories and worked with his longtime lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, to coordinate the deals.
This summer, Cohen pleaded guilty to multiple federal charges related to the payments, including campaign finance and bank fraud violations. In his plea, he implicated Trump without specifically naming him.
coldjoint

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 01:35 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Just snother campaign crime violation for him.

Obama's campaign paid fines for the same crime. Fine Trump's campaign.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
najmelliw

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 02:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Outlawing the Democratic Party in America is the best way to stop them from ruining innocent people with their witch hunts.

Outlawing any institution or organization is the very first step in an ACTUAL witch hunt, and not one that only lives in your imagination.

As far as I know, no one from the democratic side of the political spectrum (at least not anyone here) has suggested the republicans be outlawed, but you have suggested it for the democratic. And others have suggested even worse...
Setanta

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 02:44 pm
@najmelliw,
It is also the classic first step in any fascist regime.
maporsche

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 02:51 pm
@coldjoint,
It starts much earlier than that.

Grade school teachers teaching their students that the classmate next to them deserves respect and no matter if they are poor or a minority that you should treat them as you'd like to be treated. Some of these classmates are even illegal aliens. They obviously don't deserve respect. Classmates should be taught to ask for their citizenship papers and all poor classmates getting reduced or free lunch should be made to beg the other classmates for their table scraps and for their charity. Adults are made to prostrate themselves sometimes in front of church congregations to beg for help and relief. Why not their delinquent children?!

Amirite?!
maporsche

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 04:17 pm
@coldjoint,
Those god damn grade school teachers and their perversions of basic decency.
coldjoint

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 04:31 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Those god damn grade school teachers and their perversions of basic decency.

It is a narrative pushed everywhere, that is an undeniable fact. I agree, decency is being perverted, and by design.
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 09:19 pm
Backlash after Trump assails three black female reporters.

Quote:
President Trump is facing a new round of accusations that he is prejudiced against minorities after a series of confrontations with three black women reporters.

Trump on Friday disparaged White House reporter and CNN contributor April Ryan as “a loser” who “doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing.”

The outburst came at a press “gaggle” outside of the White House before leaving on a trip to Europe, an apparent reaction to Ryan having shouted out questions to Trump at a press conference Wednesday when she had not been called on.

“She gets publicity and then she gets a pay raise or she gets a contract, I think, with CNN, but she’s very nasty and she shouldn’t be,” Trump said. Ryan was not present for Trump's remarks.

During that same gaggle Friday, Abby Phillip, also with CNN, asked Trump about his new acting attorney general, Matthew Whitaker, who the president’s opponents say is too eager to defend the president from any legal scrutiny.

“Do you want him to reign in Robert Mueller,” asked Phillip, referring to the special counsel charged with investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 election.

“What a stupid question that is," Trump replied. "What a stupid question. But I watch you a lot, you ask a lot of stupid questions.”

He reacted similarly to a question posed at Wednesday’s press conference by PBS White House reporter Yamiche Alcindor.

Alcindor had asked him about critics who say Trump and his Republican allies are “seen as supporting white nationalists” in their rhetoric.

Trump said he doubted that and then called the question “racist.”

“Excuse me. But to say that — what you said is so insulting to me. It's a very terrible thing that you said,” he said.

Trump tangled with other reporters this week including CNN’s Jim Acosta, who is Cuban, and NBC’s Peter Alexander, who is white. But some singled out his interactions with the black reporters.

“And Trump today attacked another black reporter, Abby Phillip,” tweeted Keith Boykin, a liberal author and CNN commentator and author.

Noting Trump’s remarks about Ryan and Philip, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweeted, “Besides being Trump targets, what do they have in common?”

E.J. Dionne, a columnist for the Washington Post, said Friday on Twitter, “[H]ow about conservatives condemning #Trump's racist attacks on @AprilDRyan and @Yamiche Alcindor?”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/backlash-after-trump-assails-three-black-female-reporters/ar-BBPwK9B?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=UE13DHP
MontereyJack

Fri 9 Nov, 2018 11:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Republicans are not committing atrocities against innocent people.

Neither are the Democrats. Trump, slimy himself surrounded himself with slimeballs who have pleaded guilty after being caught dead to rights. No witch hunt, just justice, a concept foreign to oralloy.
najmelliw

Sat 10 Nov, 2018 03:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I'm always horrified when I see people deny atrocities. It really is shameful behavior.

The Republicans are not committing atrocities against innocent people. That's an important difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Seriously? Atrocities? What atrocities? A genuine investigation into the wheeling and dealing of the president by an independent committee, is that the atrocity? And what is really shameful behavior is telling me that the side I identify with is committing atrocities and I should be ashamed of them, and then not specifying what atrocities I should exactly be shameful of...

As a matter of fact, you should be shameful of the way your vaunted president dealt with that CNN reporter the other day. Granted, the man was obnoxious, but if being obnoxious was sufficient grounds for dismissal, then reporters would never be able to investigate scandals or bring anything to light.
izzythepush

Sat 10 Nov, 2018 06:13 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump has defended his new acting attorney general, Matthew Whitaker, as opponents call for his recusal from the Russia investigation.

Mr Whitaker was named to replace former attorney general, Jeff Sessions, who was fired by Mr Trump on Wednesday.

Controversy arose over Mr Whitaker's previous comments about ending the probe into alleged Russian meddling in favour of Mr Trump's election in 2016.

As the top law enforcement official, Mr Whitaker could take over the inquiry.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia on behalf of the Department of Justice.

Currently, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is overseeing Mr Mueller's investigation - a role he took on when Mr Sessions recused himself.

Critics have pointed to some of Mr Whitaker's remarks on CNN last year on curtailing Mr Mueller's investigation as reason to remove him from any oversight role.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Mr Trump called Mr Whitaker a "very well respected man" whose selection "was greeted with raves", though he made sure to distance himself from his new appointee.

"I don't know Matt Whitaker," Mr Trump said while fielding questions of how he might influence the Russia investigation.

But the president has probably interacted with Mr Whitaker numerous times, US media pointed out, as he was Jeff Sessions' chief of staff.

"Making comments on shows doesn't mean you're unqualified," Mr Trump added. "You didn't have any problems with him when he worked for Sessions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46132870