@maporsche,
Quote:
immigrants

Legal ones.
maporsche

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 04:32 pm
@coldjoint,
No. Not always.

Plus, Trump has been taking steps to curb LEGAL immigration too.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Baldimo

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 04:34 pm
@maporsche,
The original intention of immigration to the US was to fill out the country and establish as much as possible. This has been accomplished and a massive influx of immigrants is no longer required to fill up the country.

We need people to fill certain job openings and immigration should be used for just that at this point in our history. Anyone wanting to come to the US should have to prove that they are going to add to US well being, bring in skills that are needed to fill out our economy. Look at Pakistan and India, where do you think a large portion of foreign born computer programmers come from? The industry I work in is filled with people from those countries and they are welcomed to the US and I welcome them.

Education and job skills should be a leading factor in current immigration. If we have a hard time training US citizens for certain jobs, why allow immigrants who need to be trained for those jobs into the country? The money should be spent on training US citizens.
maporsche

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 04:41 pm
@Baldimo,
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I disagree. We are not a full country (not even close; our density is paltry) and more people means more jobs. You want to see 4% growth every year? Take the caps off legal immigration.

Our economy would thrive with a lot more legal immigration.

Instead of holding on to your piece of the pie, why not make the pie bigger?

Or another used-to-be-conservative saying, a rising tide raises all boats.
maporsche

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 04:51 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
(not even close; our density is paltry)

Then why are people shitting on sidewalks?

Because we’ve taken the concepts of “public toilets” and gotten rid of them in order to sell more commercial real estate. There was an unwritten understanding (written in some cities) that bathrooms would be available to the public. Now that Starbucks changed their policy and other companies have followed suit (Home Depot, etc) that will reduce I’m sure.

But if you want more public toilets, I’m with you.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 05:13 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful response.

No problem.

Quote:
I disagree. We are not a full country (not even close; our density is paltry) and more people means more jobs. You want to see 4% growth every year? Take the caps off legal immigration.

I thought we were never going to see 4% growth again, we were going to see a new normal...

Quote:
Our economy would thrive with a lot more legal immigration.

Needed legal immigration, not just immigration for immigration's sake. I do not think we need to include "refugees" as legal immigration, we need skilled people to the come to the US, not people who are going to require years of govt spending to get into a position to work. Speaking English should be the # 1 criteria, if you need to be taught English, then learn it and try again.

Quote:
Instead of holding on to your piece of the pie, why not make the pie bigger?

You don't make pie's bigger, you make more pies. Just allowing people into the US because they want to be here does nothing to make more pies, it creates more mouths. We need people in our country that do not require any spending by the govt for them to be here. If they require any sort of govt assistance, they should not be allowed.

Quote:
Or another used-to-be-conservative saying, a rising tide raises all boats.

JFK was a Conservative?

maporsche

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 05:16 pm
@Baldimo,
Well Reagan is the one who said “We can have a bigger pie with bigger slices for everyone. . . . We can make that dream that brought so many of us or our parents and grandparents to this land live once more.”
Baldimo

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 05:25 pm
@maporsche,
Are you going to keep looking for quotes from Conservatives until you find the one that you think works?

I looked up the quote and Reagan was talking about lowering taxes for Americans, he wasn't talking about immigration.
Quote:
When -- When we talk about tax reduction, when we talk about ending inflation by stopping it where it starts, in Washington, we're talking about a way to bring labor and management together for America. We're talking about jobs and productivity and wages. We're talking about doing away with Jimmy Carter’s view of a no-growth policy, and ever-shrinking economic pie which means smaller slices for everyone of us.

That’s no answer. We can have a bigger pie and that'll mean bigger slices for everyone of us. And I believe that together -- together you and I can bake that bigger pie. We can make that dream that brought so many of us or our parents and grandparents to this land, we can make that dream live once more. Let us work to protect the human right to acquire and own a home, make sure that right is extended to as many Americans as possible. A home is part of the dream.

maporsche

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 05:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Great. He used an analogy. Analogoes can apply to more than one thing. Good thing he didn’t have anyone criticizing his growing pies analogy though. Laughing

I believe it applies to immigration.
RABEL222

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 05:57 pm
@georgeob1,
Who are trying their damndest not be murdered and robbed and keeping their loved ones alive.
coldjoint

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 07:21 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Who are trying their damndest not be murdered and robbed and keeping their loved ones alive.

They let their country get that way, they should stay and change things. They are simply not our responsibility and should take care of themselves. After all Americans did it, they at least have to be just as good or probably better than us( what I have heard). It should not be a problem if they really believed in what America has to offer. Bring it home.
RABEL222

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:27 pm
@coldjoint,
You mean the way they have in your favorite country Russia?
coldjoint

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:34 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You mean the way they have in your favorite country Russia?

I have made clear that America is my favorite country. So your statement is not based in fact, but either is the Russia investigation.
glitterbag

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:47 pm
@coldjoint,
Well, put your application in and maybe you can become an American as well.
coldjoint

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
an American as well.

As well as I can be. Thanks.
glitterbag

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 08:57 pm
@coldjoint,
You might want to get your act in gear, we are doing extreme vetting.
coldjoint

Mon 22 Oct, 2018 09:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
we are doing extreme vetting.

Good then, it will still be done wrong. That has changed.
0 Replies