monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 12:31 pm
@ehBeth,
There's a home video he took when he was in the army. He's on a plane filming the other soldiers while giving a narrative. At one point he refers to one of the soldiers as a paki.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 12:47 pm
@izzythepush,
did he suggest that someone being a paki was a bad thing?

I have mixed feelings about all of that. I was called colour-culture-background-gender related things that I didn't think were bad when I was younger. Then I started to listen more carefully and realized sometimes they were badly intended and sometimes clueless/insensitive. My reactions vary - badly intended will get a verbal whack upside the head.
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 01:28 pm
@ehBeth,
It's a racist term, similar to the n word. It doesn't matter if he said it was good or bad, it's racist. You wouldn't ask if being an n word was a good thing.
TheSubliminalKid

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
P*ki is definitely a racist term and you should NOT use WHATSOEVER.

I actually gasped because that reaction was just... horrifying.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 01:41 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
TheSubliminalKid wrote:
That's exactly what my English guest-parents told me. In 1963.
ehBeth

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:10 pm
@izzythepush,
35 years ago I probably would have asked about the n word. It was in pretty standard usage by people who did not use it with malice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:11 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It doesn't matter if he said it was good or bad

we obviously disagree and that's fine by me

you aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours

<shrugs>
ehBeth

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Must be one of those andere Länder, andere Sitten things.

My parents and their friends said that a lot about things they heard/saw in the early years in Canada.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
The difference is that if I find that a term is offensive I don't use it because I don't want people to think I'm racist. Using that term is racist whether you think you're being racist or not.

I was shocked by your response.
TheSubliminalKid

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Disgusting.

You should be ashamed of yourself for being a grown woman and shamelessly using racist terms after finding out their use.

Utterly disgusting and shameful behaviour.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not saying I use the term/s - I am saying that I don't automatically judge other people harshly based on words they use.

I consider whether they know the meaning/impact of the words and what their intention is. I don't expect everyone to have my life experience or knowledge.

Judging and reacting negatively as a first response doesn't help other people learn.
izzythepush

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 02:54 pm
@ehBeth,
You just used it yourself. I quoted it, but you used the term in your question to me. You could have used pronouns. To be honest I was uncomfortable quoting it in the first place.

It's called casual racism, that's the only term for it.
glitterbag

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 04:38 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
An idiot like Kavanagh

I know you know all about idiots. A man who graduates first in class is not an idiot. The idiot is the person that calls him that.

Did you notice Kavanaugh walks upright because he has a spine, you are just jealous.

But, but, but he didn’t graduate 1st in his class.....that was just Trump puffing like he always does. I bet he’d call you a Rhodes scholar and you’d believe it. That’s just freaking sad.
coldjoint

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 05:05 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
That’s just freaking sad.

Yes, your posts are. I know you feel the need to protect liars and cowards.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 05:09 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
Quote:

Why does everyone forget racists have rights too. For you tell someone not to say when you do not have to listen is fascist. Boneheaded. Can I use that word?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 05:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Wasn’t there a big Hoo Hah some years back when one of the Princes dressed as a Nazi for a Halloween Party? Or am I mis-remembering something. To be fair, I don’t think he dressed that way because he admired the Third Reich, it was just tone deaf.

As far as racial or religious slurs go, using slurs in any fashion never speaks well about a person. Maybe it’s not fair, but when people use words such as the ones used to label black people, Jews, Italians, Asian people and a ton of others I cringe. This is not because I want to be PC, but rather to acknowledge the common humanity. I didn’t know that the P word was considered racist, but then again I’m not sure I ever heard it used......but I won’t be using it.

Now, Melania wearing a pith helmet, I doubt if she knew the significance of the chapeau but I blame that on piss-poor staff work. There are hundreds of people in the government who are experts on protocol, they are not there to curtail your creativity, they are there to advise you on how not to be a blockhead and insult people.
coldjoint

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 05:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Using that term is racist whether you think you're being racist or not.

So what you think matters more, or is correct? It isn't.
glitterbag

Fri 5 Oct, 2018 06:39 pm
@coldjoint,
You know it's really not necessary for you comment every time someone else comments. If you have something useful or illuminating that would be wonderful, but all you seem to do is to make sure everyone know how much you don't like them. Everybody gets it, it's apparent you are just a big ball of cranky disapproval and contempt for others.

Just how long HAVE you been retired???? Maybe you need two get out of the house a little more often and give the computer a rest.