ehBeth

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:01 pm
@coldjoint,
can you imagine how much I'd care if I voted for the guy
yeah about that much
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
But you and blatham seem to inordinately care about what is going on in America. It's interesting. Is Canada really that boring?
blatham

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:05 pm
Quote:
Steve Schmidt
‏Verified account
@SteveSchmidtSES
I believe the John Tower hearings set the precedent here. New information was introduced late in the process that had not been uncovered in the FBI background check. The Chairman, Sam Nunn, immediately referred the matter to the FBI Director to reopen the back ground check.
5:07 PM - 19 Sep 2018

And, as James Fallows notes, "this (SecDef position) was NOT for a lifetime-tenure, no-recourse-possible position"
gungasnake

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:05 pm
https://thelibertydaily.com

Racism, All Night Benders, Alcohol-Induced Amnesia Were the Norm at Kavanaugh Accuser Christine Blasey Ford’s Elitist High School
Kavanaugh Accuser’s Classmate Changes Her Tune: ‘That It Happened Or Not, I Have No Idea’

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42167238_10215311275594072_2529581221600559104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=83dfb931a30174816ffeb3da22b3725b&oe=5C605F8A

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:09 pm
@blatham,
New information is not necessarily the same as a vague accusation. If she testifies she can provide "new information" Why isn't that satisfactory?
coldjoint

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
can you imagine how much I'd care if I voted for the guy

I don't care who you voted for. It does not effect anything in the US. Canada is non-player. It has nothing to offer except the same cultural suicide that has destroyed Western Europe. You and your country are simply irrelevant.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:25 pm
@gungasnake,
This is a conservative fake news website. Up to your living again?
RABEL222

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:31 pm
@RABEL222,
I meant to spell lieing but this thing keeps correcting me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I grew up absolutely loving America and pretty much all things American.
Took road trips across the border to buy Dr. Pepper.
Then came Watergate.

I was already a political junkie by then. My mother took me out canvassing/campaigning before I was a teen.

Canadian politics. I love it. It makes me happy. I'm still reasonably active in it.

Politics fascinates me. European, North American, South and Central American are what I follow/comment on most - primarily because of language/media access.

A2k is one of my online homes. Has been since literally Day 1 of its existence.

Do people talk about Canadian politics at a2k? no. we've tried a few times but there is not the volume of posters to keep it going.

Usian (coined by dlowan) politics? that's what it is here. Politics interests me. Religion bores me. Science crossed with religion annoys me. Many of the best food/book/political posters left - I engage with them elsewhere. There are interesting posters here who have chosen not to move on. I'm here because of them.

I don't 'care' about what is going on in America. It is interesting to watch the political shenanigans. New country, non-parliamentary system.
I consider it much like watching a chemistry experiment. Might work, might not, might blow up. *

America. Don't care.
A2k. Do care.
__

* one of the reasons I've continued to argue against NAFTA
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:34 pm
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3689059/posts
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:35 pm
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/3689050/posts
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:35 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
This is a conservative fake news website.

https://cultofthe1st.blogspot.com/2018/09/why-christine-blasey-fords-high-school_19.html
How about this one? It shows the yearbooks and exposes the culture in those schools. Is that fake? Before you answer make sure you can prove it is.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
New information is not necessarily the same as a vague accusation.
An accusation is information, though insufficient for any positive conclusion as regards the truth of the accusation.

There's nothing of significance about this accusation that is vague. She has given an account of who was in the room, what she was wearing, and what she says Kavanaugh did to her physically.
Quote:
If she testifies she can provide "new information"
If the Kavanaugh confirmation team did not know of this accusation prior to it being published, then it already is "new information" (as in the Tower example). If they did know of it through vetting Kavanaugh, thus not new information, but kept that data hidden, then there's nothing good to be said about them at all.
Quote:
Why isn't that satisfactory?
I explained that earlier. She is one private individual in a venue that is hugely weighted against her (which isn't even to mention the historical ubiquity of womens' disadvantages in the culture and the courts on such matters). Further, the GOP representatives here have the partisan incentive to restrict her possible appearance within a he said/she said framework and that is intrinsically unjust.
blatham

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 01:54 pm
From Jennifer Rubin
Quote:
Republicans, be forewarned: Kavanaugh’s accuser has options
...Trump, whom a flock of women has accused of harassment and assault, and the all-male Republican contingent on the Senate Judiciary Committee might think they have Ford cornered. The reality is that she has many options, some of which are far more dangerous to Republicans than what she has demanded, namely an FBI investigation.

...In short, Ford can use the hearing to put the senators, who have behaved shabbily, on defense.

Ford has another option: Hold a news conference with her own experts and make the case directly to the American people. She can sit down for an interview with a respected TV journalist. She can say whatever she wants, make certain that experts are heard and even recount the much more extensive investigative efforts undertaken when Hill stepped forward. To make her case to the American people and convince them that she is sincere, honest and credible, Ford doesn’t need the Senate.

Ford also might have the ability to go to local police to investigate if the White House refuses to activate the FBI. The Hill reports: “Can Brett Kavanaugh be investigated for an attempted rape he allegedly committed over three decades ago? In Maryland, it’s entirely possible under the law, according to some experts. Now members of the American public are calling for Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh to open an investigation, especially if the FBI doesn’t.” That would be a process over which neither the Senate nor the Trump administration would have any control.

In short, Ford has a powerful story to tell. In trying to jam her into their abbreviated, one-sided process, Senate Republicans open the door to far more dangerous options, where the American people get to judge for themselves whether she is credible. As Kavanaugh’s approval rating slides, Republicans need to consider whether it is worth unleashing a firestorm to defend a nominee who might be a further drag on their midterm races.

I presume a calculation here that Republicans understand they are screwed in November but hopeful that the disaster wouldn't be too bad. And, more importantly, that gaining a SC which will be readily agreeable to court decisions (on campaign finance, unions, education, social programs, voter suppression, etc) will highly increase their long-term goal of what could effectively be (this is what they do want) single party rule.
Sturgis

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 02:01 pm
@blatham,
To several Republicans, Merrick Garland must not seem so bad any more.
coldjoint

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 02:33 pm
@blatham,

Quote:
I presume a calculation here that Republicans understand they are screwed in November

You presume wrong, the release of the unredacted documents concerning the FISA warrants will change everything.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 02:37 pm
updated media bias chart from Vanessa Otero

not sure if anyone else gets her email updates re methodology and responses to questions, but I do recommend them. she's pretty good about replying to legit questions

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Media-Bias-Chart_4.0_8_28_2018-min.jpg

her response to why wonkette is toward the bottom/far left

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/media-bias-chart-wonkette/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 02:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:

Those Republicans are quitting the Senate. Trump scared their lying asses away.
blatham

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 04:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Yes. Several, for sure. Perhaps even two or three dozen. (My charity level on this matter is down in the territory of Charles Manson's blood sugar)

Edit: If things continue to get dicier for the Kavanaugh nomination, it seems to me that the politically smart thing for Republicans to do is to put another nominee forward. Best would be a female.

They might be this smart but I doubt it. Trump isn't one to back down in public and I suspect that's true, if less so, for others like McConnell, Grassley, etc

They really don't want Ford to testify in public for reasons we can all likely grasp. And the dangers here multiply quickly if Ford is a compelling voice that women and men would identify with. They will certainly have done research on Ford with an eye to precisely this aspect of her testimony.
coldjoint

Thu 20 Sep, 2018 04:48 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Charles Manson

Only you could bring up a name that should have died with the man. You have to have too much class not to be rude. Isn't moralizing fun?
0 Replies