monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:11 pm
@blatham,
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-statepolls/tightening-texas-race-boosts-democrats-hopes-of-taking-senate-reuters-poll-idUSKCN1LZ18B

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Democratic congressman aiming to unseat Republican U.S. Senator Ted Cruz in Texas has pulled even in the race, a Reuters poll found,

never ever thought I'd see that

I don't expect Beto to win, but brilliant seeing evidence of Democratic life in Texas (other than in Austin, where all things are possible)
blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:26 pm
@ehBeth,
It is amazing. And it does tell us about the present situation. Perhaps sanity will prevail. Pretty difficult to overstate the importance of this election.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
but brilliant seeing evidence of Democratic life in Texas

All paid for with millions in out of state donations.
0 Replies

mysteryman841

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:53 pm
@blatham,
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/feinstein-says-republicans-making-same-mistakes-anita-hill-n910546

She is trying to set the conditions for he testimony, and she doesn't have the right or ability to do that.
She is saying she wont testify until the FBI investigates

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/19/fbi-will-not-launch-criminal-investigation-into-kavanaugh-allegations.html

https://www.dailywire.com/news/35848/breaking-fbi-isnt-investigating-brett-kavanaugh-ashe-schow

Guess what...the FBI isn't going to investigate a 30 year old alleged assault by a high school student.

IF anyone is going to investigate, it would be the local authorities.
There is no allegation of a federal crime being committed, and I seriously doubt the local cops are going to waste time and resources on an alleged groping by a high school student 30 years ago.
ehBeth

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 07:13 pm
@mysteryman841,
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41985107_2342216402460118_713587856789995520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=583e144cb384b0494bd8ffeffb697156&oe=5C21F31E
neptuneblue

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 07:14 pm
Christine Blasey Ford Wants The Same Thing Anita Hill Got, An F.B.I. Investigation Into Her Claims

People are already saying that the F.B.I. can add nothing to the story, which is just one of the many dumb takes I've heard this hour.
By ELIE MYSTAL
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:19 PM

In a letter to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, Christine Blasey Ford suggested she will not testify at the committee’s hastily convened hearing about her allegations with Brett Kavanaugh, until the F.B.I. has had a chance to investigate her claims.

The New York Times has the letter.

The Republican and right-wing spin machine has already started howling that this is an irregular delay tactic. I explained earlier today why the Republicans want to reduce the issue to a he said/she said debate.

The news of the request is barely an hour old, but the bad takes are flying. Let me smash a couple of them, just for the sake of posterity.

Bad Republican Take 1: The F.B.I. Doesn’t Investigate This Sort Of Thing

No. False. Wrong. Anybody who says this is wrong. Tell them so.

The F.B.I. investigated EXACTLY this sort of thing when Anita Hill alleged she was sexually harassed by Clarence Thomas. George H.W. Bush requested that the F.B.I. look into her claims, and they did.

The F.B.I. conducts background checks on judicial nominees. Kavanaugh has had that background check. Ford’s claims, made this summer, were added to his file, but they did not investigate the claim.

Donald Trump… of all people… can ask them to. He just has to pick up the phone and call Chris Wray.

Brett Kavanaugh spent the whole hearing talking about “nominee precedent” that allowed him to not answer questions he didn’t like. But the relevant precedent here is the Anita Hill precedent, that suggests the F.B.I. should investigate claims. I expect to see Kavanaugh enthusiastically support the application of this precedent.

Bad Republican Take 2: The Investigation Won’t Turn Up Anything Because It’s Just He Said/She Said.

It’s only a war of competing stories because the F.B.I., and no other investigative body, has actually looked into her claims.

The stories are so divergent that there is likely a lot an investigation would turn up.

Ford says this happened at a party. Kavanaugh allegedly told Orin Hatch he wasn’t “at that party” — though one wonders how he knows which party she’s talking about. We can find out whether a party took place, that Kavanaugh was either at, or not at.

Ford says that there were at least four boys at the party. Kavanaugh, Mark Judge, and two other boys. Has anybody spoken to the other two boys? What do they remember? SEEMS KIND OF IMPORTANT.

Ford says that Mark Judge was in the room. Mark Judge varies from saying it didn’t happen, to saying that he can’t recall. Somebody needs to get that man in a room, and get something of the truth out of him.

Kavanaugh claims that he never “acted that way” “with anybody.” There are a lot of “anybodys.” How many of them have been spoken to?
THAT’S OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD! I should note, I’m not an F.B.I. investigator. I bet Clarice freaking Starling would have more ideas for how to lock down the facts, one way or another.

Again, Kavanaugh has kind of made it easy for us. His denial is so categorical that pretty much any corroboration of Ford’s story sinks him. On the other hand, if there’s literally no other corroborating evidence, Kavanaugh’s categorical denials work for him.

Bad Republican Take 3: She’s Just Lying And Is Afraid Of Testifying

Are there are a lot of liars you know that want their lies to be investigated by one of the most powerful law enforcement agencies in the world? Like… would that be your move? To lie and publicly beg for your lie to be investigated by the F.B.I.?

OF COURSE these claims deserve a thorough investigation. It’s an entirely reasonable request.
maporsche

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 07:54 pm
@mysteryman841,
The Senate could just subpoena her to testify if they really wanted to.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 07:58 pm
@ehBeth,
That is ridiculous. No one said that. Your meme is a lie, and calling someone a liar is not calling them a whore. It might be in Canada.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:03 pm
Another video of the people who have decided to disenfranchise the American voters that elected Trump. The Left supports this over our Constitutional system.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:23 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Your meme is a lie, and calling someone a liar is not calling them a whore.

Were you looking for somebody to call this Ford woman a whore??
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:41 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

The Senate could just subpoena her to testify if they really wanted to.

They could also subpoena Mike Judge whom was supposedly also in the room. I'm sure he'd be willing to testify, under oath, to what happened.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:43 pm
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/3a11a1c814989b3f3c9db45ccc26eb9d02dc5ba5bc54d333491cfae8a59515b1.jpg
http://www.michellesmirror.com/2018/09/christine-blasey-ford-im-sorry-i-have.html
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:48 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
They could also subpoena Mike Judge whom was supposedly also in the room.

The prescriptivists would be all over your ass for your "egregious grammar error", map.
maporsche

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 08:51 pm
@camlok,
I would appreciate whatever feedback they could provide.
camlok

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:07 pm
@maporsche,
Why is that, map, when they don't know their ass from a peach?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:09 pm
Senator Grassley asked to see Feinstein for the letter. She said no, why?
Quote:
The only version we have of this letter is a redacted version contained in the supplemental FBI background investigation file that only senators and a handful of very select staff are authorized to read.

Why would any part of this letter be redacted, it is clear what it is about.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/press/rep/releases/scotus_ranking-member-refuses-to-disclose-secret-allegations-even-after-dr-ford-goes-public
glitterbag

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Let’s just say that Dr. Ford’s life has been ruined, in other words she got the full Anita Hill treatment before she even got to the inquisition. I know what ehbeth is saying, boys will be boys (and the humiliation and terror she experienced at age 15 shouldn’t be held against promising young men from fine families) and it was her fault for going to a party with other teenagers.

camlok

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:14 pm
@coldjoint,
You are probably concerned that someone has lied here, right, coldjoint?
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:18 pm
@glitterbag,
Do you think that a good catholic boy who may be a sexual predator like his former boss, who latched onto Trump simply in order to advance his own crass political agenda wouldn't make a good, level headed, fair and just USSC justice, glitter?
camlok

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 09:23 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
There is no allegation of a federal crime being committed, and I seriously doubt the local cops are going to waste time and resources on an alleged groping by a high school student 30 years ago.

Just think what he might figure he is entitled to as a USSC justice.
0 Replies