monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 03:34 pm
Quote:
Bulgarian government sides with Orban against Article 7

Big deal in the EU. Sovereignty is more important to some in the EU. By invoking Article 7 Hungary will lose its voting rights in the EU concuil of Ministers. Bulgaria think it is a bad idea. These things have a ripple effect and we need to watch Europe so we do not repeat their mistakes.
Quote:
The other Deputy Prime Minister form the United Patriots, Valeri Simeonov, said that the EU had unleashed “repression” against Hungary, “not based on any facts”.

Karakachanov went further, adding that the Article 7 procedure was tantamount to to the invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Warsaw Pact in 1968.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-elections-2019/news/bulgarian-government-sides-with-orban-against-article-7/
roger

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 03:42 pm
@maporsche,
Sounds okay, but I'm pretty sure it would require a constitutional amendment. Those are difficult to pass, and I'm sure there was good reason for making them so.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 03:54 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
By invoking Article 7 Hungary will lose its voting rights in the EU concuil of Ministers. Bulgaria think it is a bad idea. These things have a ripple effect and we need to watch Europe so we do not repeat their mistakes.
Already in June 2015, the European Parliament asked the Commission to present a proposal for starting the mechanism against Hungary over rule of law concerns in the country - on Wednesday last week, a majority of EU lawmakers backed a motion that opens the door to sanctions against Hungary.
Quote:
we need to watch Europe so we do not repeat their mistakes.

Is the USA a member country in a similar political and economic union to the EU with a similar treaty like the Lisbon Treaty?
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Is the USA a member country in a similar political and economic union to the EU with a similar treaty like the Lisbon Treaty?

I was commenting on what I read Walter. I do not care about the treaty. You just get so upset when someone tells the EU to stick it.
Builder

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:07 pm
Posting this again, seeing as how the agitrops don't want to know about it.

If proven, then this implicates Alexander Downer in the stitch-up that resulted in the whole Russian collusion story, and also points to Israeli involvement, right from the beginning.

No wonder y'all want to ignore it.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:08 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
I was commenting on what I read Walter. I do not care about the treaty.
You read and commented about Article 7 of the Lisbon Treaty and don't care about it?
blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:12 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
She refuses to testify in front of the committee, until after the FBI investigates.
That's false. You might want to retrace your media path and discover who fed you false information.

Quote:
The FBI has said several times that they wont investigate.
I trust you aren't going to be explicit in your argument here and claim the FBI has never altered course? That all decisions are permanent because the first decision has always been deemed absolutely correct?
Quote:
Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys argue that "a full investigation by law enforcement officials will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."
I don't know enough about the legal issues here. Does the FBI have a broader remit than local police? Does testimony to the FBI come with greater levels of penalty for falsehoods?

An honest appraisal of the situation would take into account the diverging interests of the two parties here. The GOP wants Kavanaugh in as soon as possible (insurance on an SC without Kennedy's swing vote; get this PR mess out of the way before the mid-terms) and the Dems want it delayed (again, the mid-terms and motivation of female voters to get to the voting booth and for the possibility that Kavanaugh might have to back away from a SC seat).

But that is the political set of concerns. Aside from that, it is a matter of justice for this female. Moving ahead without an investigation of these charges made by a credible individual is not justice. It's the disregard of justice issues.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
You read and commented about Article 7 of the Lisbon Treaty and don't care about it?

I do not care what the EU agreed on. Some countries have stopped agreeing and that is my interest. The EU needs to go.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:23 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Some countries have stopped agreeing and that is my interest. The EU needs to go.
80% of public investment in Hungary comes from the EU’s cohesion funds and the total EU spending in Hungary: 117,875.41 M€. The total EU-spending in Bulgaria was 117,875.41 M€. (2015 data)
coldjoint wrote:
I do not care what the EU agreed on.

Then why do you post about it?
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Then why do you post about it?

Just so I can hear from you Walter. Cool
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 04:58 pm
I am a pillar in my community here, respected and even loved, if I may say.

That is why the fact that 30-some years ago, home from college and after drinking one evening, I killed my grandmother with a weed-eater is of no importance whatsoever.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:04 pm
An unintentional accident, surely
Quote:
Ken Klippenstein
‏Verified account
@kenklippenstein
"What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep" disappeared from the transcript of that speech Kavanaugh submitted to the Senate Judiciary Committee during his confirmation process. 🤔
https://tyt.com/stories/-/1FM2NrgYRiekqIeoiWugai#.W6JgY6LO4rA.twitter

ehBeth

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:06 pm
@blatham,
editing
that's all

Laughing
blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:10 pm
@ehBeth,
Earlier version "too wordy".
Baldimo

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:14 pm
@blatham,
Isn't that the MSM's excuse when they edit things for TV to make people look bad or good, depending on who it is.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:17 pm
What the **** is wrong with these people?!
Quote:
Ken Starr on AEI panel this afternoon: “I believe Brett Kavanaugh.”

Quote:
Matthew Gertz
‏Verified account
@MattGertz
Starr "was removed as president of Baylor University on Thursday after an investigation found the university mishandled accusations of sexual assault against football players." https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/sports/ncaafootball/baylor-art-briles-kenneth-starr-college-football.html

Sometimes, too often, I do despise my gender.
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:22 pm
Quote:
NY Times, WaPo Already Have Their Kavanaugh Verdict

No facts necessary, just an accusation and the excuse that "me too" has somehow changed our lives. Mob rule.
https://www.aim.org/aim-column/ny-times-wapo-already-have-their-kavanaugh-verdict/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 05:25 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Sometimes, too often, I do despise my gender.

That is obvious. You certainly despise the responsibility it entails.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:03 pm
Quote:
Texas Young Democrats
‏@TexasYDs
Everyone hang your signs high. The people that are stealing them probably support building the wall and, therefore, likely don’t understand ladders. Credit: @TexasTechDems

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnannT0VYAIc2Dt.jpg
blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 06:07 pm
Here's a real question...

Why isn't Brett Kavanaugh demanding an FBI investigation?

h/t Lawrence O'Donnell