monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:40 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
They were the party in power in the Senate at the time, not the repubs.

No one said that the Republicans were in power at the time. (And, interestingly, Thomas was confirmed with a half dozen Democrats voting "yea".) Blicker's only suggested that now the Republicans seem intent on doing something similar. Actually, though, I think they're more conscious of the optics this time and may avoid the worst mistakes of the Thomas episode. Which doesn't mean a whole lot because the whole thing was politicized from the very start. The rotten stench began to emanate back when McConnell refused to hold hearings for Merrick Garland.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:44 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
The rotten stench began to emanate back when McConnell refused to hold hearings for Merrick Garland.

Oh yes, that is clearly the equivalent of destroying a man's reputation.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:45 pm
@blatham,
But you must admit that flower pots - like at the Canadian border - weren't mentioned!

https://i.imgur.com/Q7tNndm.jpg
blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What a beautiful wall!
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:57 pm
For those with actual brains...
Quote:
James Hohmann
‏Verified account
@jameshohmann
Professor Ford's eagerness to talk to FBI investigators is significant because she knows making a false statement to the bureau would be a felony. Just ask Mike Flynn, George Papadopoulos and Rick Gates. It shows her seriousness & bolsters her credibility.
Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:59 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
For those with actual brains...

They won't be reading anything you post(the usual spam), not that plenty wont read it. You take it from there.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 01:59 pm
@blatham,
Mind you, if the FBI investigated and turned up testimony from a principal (or compelling testimony from others) which pointed to Kavanaugh's guilt as described by Prof Ford, the right wing chorus would be absolutely guaranteed to believe that this merely verified that the FBI was a corrupt piece of the deep state.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Do you have anything to say why it was they were able to produce a document from 65 women that supposedly knew Kavanaugh in high-school (turns out one of the women was 4 years old at the time; not really a good character witness I'd propose) that was meant to say he was not the type of guy who could do this within hours of the news breaking?
coldjoint

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:09 pm
I do not understand the Left being so concerned, after all the programs in our schools promoting anal sex as normal, blurring genders, and punishing normal urges, especially by boys. Now they are holier than thou and completely ignore Ellison's accuser. Enough of this ****.
0 Replies

mysteryman841

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:12 pm
@blatham,
It shows her seriousness???

She refuses to testify in front of the committee, until after the FBI investigates.
The FBI has said several times that they wont investigate.

It seems to me that if she were truly serious, she would be jumping at the chance to testify.
hightor

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Oh yes, that is clearly the equivalent of destroying a man's reputation.

If you read my comment it should be obvious that I was referring to the politicization of the process. No "equivalence" was suggested.

Now, whose reputation has been "destroyed"? All we have is the classic "he said/she said". I'm sure that, being an honorable sort of fellow, were there truth to the charges he'd own up and apologize, "Sorry, I was drunk." By continuing to deny the charges, and as long as proof is lacking, I think he'll emerge with his reputation intact. His reputation with conservatives, that is — I never cared much for his legal philosophy so I never held him in high repute.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:15 pm
@maporsche,
It was actually 65 Women who have known him or worked with him through his life, they are not all from his high school days. Of course that doesn't matter to the left, who's only aim to is to delay the vote on Kavanaugh.
hightor

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:16 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Are you saying the stench was gone after Biden did the same thing?

I don't follow you. Biden didn't block Thomas's nomination. What did he do that was the same as McConnell?
izzythepush

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:17 pm
@mysteryman841,
She's received death threats and she lives in a society awash with guns. You think she should risk her life when there's no guarantee there will even be an investigation.
maporsche

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:18 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

It was actually 65 Women who have known him or worked with him through his life, they are not all from his high school days. Of course that doesn't matter to the left, who's only aim to is to delay the vote on Kavanaugh.

That's not what the letter said. Here's the relevant part.
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-09-14%2065%20Women%20who%20know%20Kavanaugh%20from%20High%20School%20-%20Kavanaugh%20Nomination.pdf

Quote:
We are women who have known Brett Kavanaugh for more than 35 years AND knew him while he attended high school between 1979 and 1983.

Of course, that doesn't matter to the right who will do whatever they can to get this nomination through before the election.
Baldimo

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
She's received death threats and she lives in a society awash with guns. You think she should risk her life when there's no guarantee there will even be an investigation.

She received death threats while trying to destroy a man's life with a story she can't remember where it took place or the year in which it took place, but the FBI need to investigate a case of high school kids?
0 Replies

mysteryman841

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:23 pm
This whole mess tells me everything I need to know about most of the left today.
They get their collective panties in a knot defending and believing a woman with a 30 year old claim.
A claim for which there is zero evidence, a claim where she doesn't remember anything about the party, who owned the house, how she got there, how she got home, who was there, nothing.
Yet the dems believe this woman and demand a federal investigation.

Now in the case of Keith Ellison, its the exact opposite.
His accuser has photographs, doctors reports, the 911 tape, and other evidence.
Yet the dems continue to ignore the case, or they actively defend Ellison.

Why is that?
Because Ellison is the #2 in the party, and it would serve them no political purpose to do anything.

Never mind the fact that he is an abuser of women, because he is a dem he gets a pass.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:23 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Of course, that doesn't matter to the right who will do whatever they can to get this nomination through before the election.

Don't you mean in the ypical time that all other nominee's have received? RBG was about 45 days, Hagan 77 days, Sotomayor 73 days... As I said, this is nothing but a delay tactic. If this had any hint of truth in it, it should have been presented during the hearings or when he was being interviewed by members of Congress.
Olivier5

Wed 19 Sep, 2018 02:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Donald Trump suggested the Spanish government tackled the Mediterranean migration crisis by emulating one of his most famous policies and building a wall across the Sahara desert

And Africa will pay for it!
0 Replies