monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

mysteryman841

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@revelette1,
Let me get this straight...

You want him impeached, but you don't care if he gets convicted or not?
That makes no sense.
If you want him impeached (indicted), it stands to reason that you would want him convicted by the Senate.
I'm curious why the contradiction?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Walter, tell us something we don't know.
Sorry, I didn't know that you (plural) got the WaPo article as an earlier release.
revelette1

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:26 pm
@mysteryman841,
I would rather he be removed from office but to me it is not the be all of everything considering Pence would still be there. The point is that if he in fact committed the crime Cohen implicated he did yesterday, then he should have to pay some sort of price, something more than a simple fine. I can remember all the republicans saying no president is above the law, well, they should stick to it even when it is "their guy."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:28 pm
@mysteryman841,
Why are you garbling rev's response like that?
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:28 pm
@mysteryman841,
You've been gone so haven't seen my posts about impeachment, but despite my dislike of just about everything I've seen Trump do and/or say....I don't want him impeached.

I think him remaining in the office of president is the Democrats best chance of winning at least one branch of government in 2018 and their best chance of winning the presidency in 2020.

Trump has a fantastic ability of uniting opposition against him and even to a degree, deflating some of the support he got in 2016 when he ran against the 2nd most hated candidate in political history.
ehBeth

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:30 pm
@maporsche,
Yup. The Democrats' best chances come with #45 in office.
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I didn't know

There are a lot of things you do not know. You are no different than anyone.
Below viewing threshold (view)
camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:36 pm
@coldjoint,
Incredibly lame lame lame.

You might as well have screamed at ehBeth, "Your momma wears army boots".
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:37 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
Incredibly lame lame lame.

I bow to your expertise on such matters.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:37 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
There are a lot of things you do not know. You are no different than anyone.
I never said (or thought) different.
But I'm still a bit perplex that You not only read the Washington Post but get the pre-releases. (Perhaps that's the reason why you can use the pluralis majestatis)
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I never said (or thought) different.

Could have fooled me Walter.
camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:42 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Could have fooled me Walter.

No ****, Sherlock. You voted for Trump, right? You've swallowed the racist right wing Muslim memes, right?
Blickers

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:42 pm
@mysteryman841,
mysteryman841:
Quote:
And how would impeaching him damage him?
Bill Clinton was impeached, and it didn't seem to damage him in any way.
Because in the end, the Clinton case was about covering up a consenting affair with a college graduate.

The Trump case is about a foreign power having something on Trump, so they fixed or attempted to fix the election in Trump's favor because they figured they will get what they want in foreign policy-NATO out of Eastern Europe so Russia can roll the tanks in. Or better still, US out of NATO entirely. And Trump's behavior along those lines, such as saying that NATO was obsolete and Trump's being satisfied with Putin's word that he didn't interfere in the 2016 election. And so much more.

Clinton's affair wasn't about national security. Trump's investigation is all about national security.
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Trump's investigation is all about national security.

Trumps investigation is slowly exposing a conspiracy by deep state operators trying to frame him. It is so obvious it stinks. The Deep State is dead in the water, they will drown shortly.
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:47 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The Trump case is about a foreign power having something on Trump, so they fixed or attempted to fix the election in Trump's favor because they figured they will get what they want in foreign policy- ...

I can't believe there are sentient adults who still believe this.

Quote:
NATO out of Eastern Europe. Or better still, US out of NATO entirely. And Trump's behavior along those lines, such as saying that NATO was obsolete and Trump's being satisfied with Putin's word that he didn't interfere in the 2016 election. And so much more.

The US has no business in eastern Europe or Europe at all except to keep up their world famous terrorist actions. If Russia had military bases all over the world Americans would be heavily criticizing that. Why the silence for US military trouble making, war crimes, terrorism, rapes, murders, ... ?
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yup. The Democrats' best chances come with #45 in office.

I agree, but I am now reluctantly in the impeach camp. I think it would be bad for Democrats, would energize Trump supporters and Pence would continue some of the worst of the Trump policies but I've come to the opinion that something is deeply wrong with the Trump presidency completely aside from policy differences. The situation with Russia is too bizarre for words. Our election infrastructure is under attack from a foreign power and our President is not only not confronting the issue but actively denying reports from our own intelligence agencies. Trump is aggressively denigrating our judiciary, our federal law enforcement agencies and inciting violence against journalists, often with brazen lies. He's using the power of the presidency to take action against those who speak out against him in direct violation of the first amendment protection of free speech from government retribution. These aren't policy differences, they are abdications of the fundamental duties of the office and violations of the rights of American citizens. While it might be great for the Democratic party to have Trump as a bogeyman during the election, it is terrible for our country to allow this cancer to continue to spread, not only within our borders but around the world.
coldjoint

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:49 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
racist right wing Muslim memes,

One more time, Islam is not a race.
camlok

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:49 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
But, what would that actually accomplish?
The repubs control the Senate, so there is little chance that he would be removed from office.

So here we have a law abiding Amurican plumping for a judicial process to be turned into the usual US political monkey business. Have you no respect for the rule of law?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 22 Aug, 2018 12:53 pm
@engineer,
My fear is that if #45 is removed soonish, that will mean a term and a half for Pence, and then a double for whoever his vp is (pretty much as predicted by oralloy, but not the way he saw it happening). There's at least a chance to change things with #45 in place through 2019.