monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 06:38 am
Quote:
Chicago-area manufacturer to lay off 150 people as it moves operations to Mexico, in part to avoid tariffs on Chinese metal

A manufacturer of storage safes is closing its two Chicago-area factories and moving operations to Mexico, in part because of the Trump administration's tariffs on metal from China.

Stack-On Products plans to lay off 128 people at its facility in Wauconda, Ill., and 25 people at its McHenry, Ill., plant when it closes both facilities Oct. 12, said Al Fletcher, human resources director for Alpha Guardian, the Las Vegas-based parent company.

CT
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 06:51 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — FBI agents in California and Washington, D.C., have investigated a series of cyberattacks over the past year that targeted a Democratic opponent of Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA). Rohrabacher is a 15-term incumbent who is widely seen as the most pro-Russia and pro-Putin member of Congress and is a staunch supporter of President Trump.

The hacking attempts and the FBI’s involvement are described in dozens of emails and forensic records obtained by Rolling Stone.

The target of these attacks, Dr. Hans Keirstead, a stem-cell scientist and the CEO of a biomedical research company, finished third in California’s nonpartisan “top-two” primary on June 5th, falling 125 votes short of advancing to the general election in one of the narrowest margins of any congressional primary this year. He has since endorsed Harley Rouda, the Democrat who finished in second place and will face Rohrabacher in the November election.

Cybersecurity experts say that it’s nearly impossible to identify who was behind the hacks without the help of law enforcement or high-priced private cybersecurity firms that collect their own threat data. These experts speculate that the hackers could have been one of many actors: a nation-state (such as Russia), organized crime, so-called e-crime or a hacktivist with a specific agenda. The FBI declined to comment.

Kyle Quinn-Quesada, who was Keirstead’s campaign manager, tells Rolling Stone that the campaign is now going public about the attacks for the sake of voter awareness. “It is clear from speaking with campaign professionals around the country that the sustained attacks the Keirstead for Congress campaign faced were not unique but have become the new normal for political campaigns in 2018,” Quinn-Quesada says. He added that the Keirstead campaign did not believe the cyberattacks had an effect on the primary election results.

The timing of the attacks is significant. Last month, Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats said the warning lights for future cyberattacks aimed at the U.S. were “blinking red.” A week later, a senior Microsoft executive said that Microsoft had identified and helped block hacking attempts aimed at three congressional candidates during the 2018 midterms. The executive declined to name those candidates, but the Daily Beast reported that the Russian intelligence agency responsible for the cyberattacks in 2016 had attempted to hack the office of Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO), who is running for reelection this year. (A Microsoft spokesperson declined to say if Keirstead was one of three people targeted by hackers, citing “customer privacy.”) Just last week, Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) said that Russian hackers had “penetrated” county voting systems in Florida.

More at Rolling Stone
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 07:11 am
Blatham, an interesting read if you check in at some point. It was difficult for me to keep reading at first because I was one of those who was glad Alex Jones was censored from Facebook. But I continue on until I read it all, it was worth it. Rolling Stones.

Tabbi: Censorship Does Not End Well

engineer

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 07:21 am
@revelette1,
I've seen a lot of hand wringing about Jones and censorship. No one is censoring Jones. Buying a decent website costs around $10/month. Jones can publish anything he likes, then go on Facebook or Twitter and post a link to his website. He can even profit off the traffic with ads. There is a difference between saying you can't march on my street and you can't march on my lawn. Facebook doesn't have to host anyone on their servers if they don't want. That doesn't mean Jones doesn't have a platform.
izzythepush

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 07:35 am
@engineer,
All of this is missing the point. There is censorship in countries like Turkey and Russia and journalists in those countries can end up in jail or even killed.

Jones is at liberty, a quick google search will find his infowars website, he just can't post on certain privately owned forums.

Their handwringing ignores the real censorship going on throughout the World.

(Not criticising anything you've said btw.)
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 07:39 am
@engineer,
I thought it was an interesting piece nonetheless. For instance, I didn't know Facebook removed posts from Palestinian activist at Israel's request.

I deleted my facebook account, got a new one just so I can read certain articles if they come from there, otherwise it remains blank.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 09:15 am
Quote:
John Brennan: President Trump’s Claims of No Collusion Are Hogwash

That’s why the president revoked my security clearance: to try to silence anyone who would dare challenge him.

When Alexander Bortnikov, the head of Russia’s internal security service, told me during an early August 2016 phone call that Russia wasn’t interfering in our presidential election, I knew he was lying. Over the previous several years I had grown weary of Mr. Bortnikov’s denials of Russia’s perfidy — about its mistreatment of American diplomats and citizens in Moscow, its repeated failure to adhere to cease-fire agreements in Syria and its paramilitary intervention in eastern Ukraine, to name just a few issues.

When I warned Mr. Bortnikov that Russian interference in our election was intolerable and would roil United States-Russia relations for many years, he denied Russian involvement in any election, in America or elsewhere, with a feigned sincerity that I had heard many times before. President Vladimir Putin of Russia reiterated those denials numerous times over the past two years, often to Donald Trump’s seeming approval.

Russian denials are, in a word, hogwash.

Before, during and after its now infamous meddling in our last presidential election, Russia practiced the art of shaping political events abroad through its well-honed active measures program, which employs an array of technical capabilities, information operations and old-fashioned human intelligence spycraft. Electoral politics in Western democracies presents an especially inviting target, as a variety of politicians, political parties, media outlets, think tanks and influencers are readily manipulated, wittingly and unwittingly, or even bought outright by Russian intelligence operatives. The very freedoms and liberties that liberal Western democracies cherish and that autocracies fear have been exploited by Russian intelligence services not only to collect sensitive information but also to distribute propaganda and disinformation, increasingly via the growing number of social media platforms.

Having worked closely with the F.B.I. over many years on counterintelligence investigations, I was well aware of Russia’s ability to work surreptitiously within the United States, cultivating relationships with individuals who wield actual or potential power. Like Mr. Bortnikov, these Russian operatives and agents are well trained in the art of deception. They troll political, business and cultural waters in search of gullible or unprincipled individuals who become pliant in the hands of their Russian puppet masters. Too often, those puppets are found.

In my many conversations with James Comey, the F.B.I. director, in the summer of 2016, we talked about the potential for American citizens, involved in partisan politics or not, to be pawns in Russian hands. We knew that Russian intelligence services would do all they could to achieve their objectives, which the United States intelligence community publicly assessed a few short months later were to undermine public faith in the American democratic process, harm the electability of the Democratic candidate, Hillary Clinton, and show preference for Mr. Trump. We also publicly assessed that Mr. Putin’s intelligence services were following his orders. Director Comey and I, along with the director of the National Security Agency, Adm. Michael Rogers, pledged that our agencies would share, as appropriate, whatever information was collected, especially considering the proven ability of Russian intelligence services to suborn United States citizens.

The already challenging work of the American intelligence and law enforcement communities was made more difficult in late July 2016, however, when Mr. Trump, then a presidential candidate, publicly called upon Russia to find the missing emails of Mrs. Clinton. By issuing such a statement, Mr. Trump was not only encouraging a foreign nation to collect intelligence against a United States citizen, but also openly authorizing his followers to work with our primary global adversary against his political opponent.

Such a public clarion call certainly makes one wonder what Mr. Trump privately encouraged his advisers to do — and what they actually did — to win the election. While I had deep insight into Russian activities during the 2016 election, I now am aware — thanks to the reporting of an open and free press — of many more of the highly suspicious dalliances of some American citizens with people affiliated with the Russian intelligence services.

Mr. Trump’s claims of no collusion are, in a word, hogwash.

The only questions that remain are whether the collusion that took place constituted criminally liable conspiracy, whether obstruction of justice occurred to cover up any collusion or conspiracy, and how many members of “Trump Incorporated” attempted to defraud the government by laundering and concealing the movement of money into their pockets. A jury is about to deliberate bank and tax fraud charges against one of those people, Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s former campaign chairman. And the campaign’s former deputy chairman, Rick Gates, has pleaded guilty to financial fraud and lying to investigators.

Mr. Trump clearly has become more desperate to protect himself and those close to him, which is why he made the politically motivated decision to revoke my security clearance in an attempt to scare into silence others who might dare to challenge him. Now more than ever, it is critically important that the special counsel, Robert Mueller, and his team of investigators be allowed to complete their work without interference — from Mr. Trump or anyone else — so that all Americans can get the answers they so rightly deserve.

NYT
ehBeth

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 09:57 am
@engineer,
What's kind of funny is that the rules of engagement on Jones' site are more restrictive than many other private forums. He can censor, but thinks others shouldn't. Absolutely no sympathy for him. He's way too fragile.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17661548/infowars-alex-jones-terms-of-service-censorship

Quote:
Now let’s see what Infowars says about censoring people on its own website:

You will not post anything libelous, defamatory, harmful, threatening, harassing, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise illegal.

You will not make threats to other users or people not associated with the site.

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted.

Remember: you are a guest here. It is not censorship if you violate the rules and your post is deleted. All civilizations have rules and if you violate them you can expect to be ostracized from the tribe.

Infowars probably would delete about half the posts in political threads made at A2k if their TOS is to be believed.

So tempting to report everything here that wouldn't meet the infowars TOS. The mods/admins would collapse in minutes.

I do like that all the offender's posts and user name are deleted if the rules are violated. Poof. You're entirely gone.
coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:31 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Absolutely no sympathy for him. He's way too fragile.

You have no sympathy because you want him censored. It tells us more about you than him.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:56 am
Franklin Graham, right-wing evangelist, son of the late Billy Graham, fanatic true believer, and chauvinistic Trump supporter warns about god's wrath.

coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:58 am
@coluber2001,
Quote:
warns about god's wrath.

That is what preachers do. Let us know when he begins to advocate killing innocent people like his competition Islam.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 11:06 am
Quote:
Trump finally smacks down Deep State traitors

Quote:
"After Brennan, 9 Others Face Losing Security Clearances, Too," the Washington Post reported.

The list included James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page and Bruce Ohr.

They are not critics.

They are saboteurs.

Barack Obama allowed them to use government resources to sabotage the Trump presidency because Obama wants to punish Americans for rebuffing his demand that they elect his surrogate, Hillary.

The Democratic Party denied the American people a peaceful transition of power, instead Democrats wanted chaos and division.

Washington and Adams set the example. Obama destroyed it.
https://donsurber.blogspot.com/2018/08/trump-finally-smacks-down-deep-state.html?spref=tw
McGentrix

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 11:53 am
@coldjoint,
It is unquestionably the right thing to do. To think otherwise would be childish and naive at best and the act of a cheese eating surrender monkey at the worst.
McGentrix

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
Jones's house, Jones's rules.

Robert's house, Robert's rules.

coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:00 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
It is unquestionably the right thing to do.

Not if you read the comments from the fascists here. They think throwing American tradition out the window because they lost an election is the right thing to do. They have been exposed just like the scum they support, and now they have to deal with someone with power fighting back and winning. They are not taking very well at all.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
That’s why the president revoked my security clearance: to try to silence anyone who would dare challenge him.

How does revoking someone's security clearance in any way silence them? What a bullshit statement to make. Who knew that the head dude at the CIA was such a whining pussy?

coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
What a bullshit statement to make.

A lot of that going around. I have explained progressives do not disagree, they hate. They believe their opponents are evil and they are justified using anything including violence to stop them. That is a clue to what kind of government they would prefer, and that would be a fascist one.
0 Replies

Real Music

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:08 pm
Why is America letting Russia get away with meddling in our democracy?

Published March 05, 2018

Quote:
The most remarkable thing about Russia’s meddling in our democracy is that President Trump has done nothing about it. There are plenty of steps that he could have taken. There are people, including some working just steps away from the Oval Office who could have—and may have—advised him what to do. But Trump chose inaction.

According to Monday’s New York Times, the State Department was allotted $120 million in the past two years to counter Russia’s “information warfare” against the West, but not a dime has been spent, in part because the office that runs such programs has no Russian speakers or computer experts, but mainly because Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has imposed a hiring freeze.

This State Department program, which was funded in the final months of the Obama administration but never activated, is hardly the only available approach. The White House cyber policy chief, Rob Joyce, was, before taking this job, director of Tailored Access Operations—the elite corps of hackers inside the National Security Agency. In other words, if Trump were inclined to pre-empt, counter, or respond to Russia’s cyber operations against us, his own special adviser on the topic could—probably off the top of his head—prepare a menu of options and write the directives on who should do what. But Trump is not so inclined.

We know this from Senate testimony last week by Adm. Mike Rogers, the outgoing NSA director and Cyber Command chief. Asked whether Trump had directed him to respond to the Russian threat, Rogers replied, “I’ve never been given any specific direction to take additional steps outside my authority. I have taken the steps within my authority, you know, trying to be a good, proactive commander.”

This was a very carefully worded response, so it’s worth parsing. It’s important to note that, by U.S. law, the president must authorize all cyber-offensive operations that might result in death or destruction of property. These operations range from hacking into the emails of ISIS fighters, so that Special Forces or drone pilots can track and kill them, to the U.S.–Israeli Stuxnet program that wrecked much of Iran’s uranium-enrichment program in 2010.

When Rogers said he has “taken the steps within my authority,” he meant the NSA has been hacking Russians’ communications in order to gather intelligence on what they’re doing and perhaps to prepare a counterattack, should the president order one. But by saying he has “never” received “specific direction to take additional steps outside my authority,” he meant Trump has never told him to go the next step—and Trump is the only one who could tell him to do so.

Rogers added, clearly frustrated by this passivity, “I believe that President Putin has clearly come to the conclusion that there’s little price to pay and that therefore, ‘I can continue this activity.’ ”

We still don’t know just why President Trump declines to investigate, much less respond to, Russia’s cyberattacks on our democracy.

What sorts of things could Trump do? Richard Clarke, the cyber and counterterrorism chief for Presidents Clinton and (briefly) George W. Bush, recently said he would “fry” the computers of the Russians—especially those close to Putin—who launched the attacks. The proposal raised eyebrows because, in his 2010 book, Cyber War, Clarke warned against strategies relying on cyber-offensive operations, noting that they could spark retaliatory strikes, which would hurt us more because the United States is more dependent on computer networks—and, therefore, more vulnerable to cyberattacks—than other countries.

I asked Clarke whether he’s changed his mind on the broad point in the past decade. He said he hasn’t, but added, “I really don’t think shutting down Putin’s chef”—the nickname of Yevgeny Prigozhin, identified as the main backer of Russia’s “troll factory” in Robert Mueller’s recent indictment—“is going to set off a cyberwar.”

A possible parallel is the Shamoon virus, which Iranian computer scientists created in 2012 as a response to a U.S. cyberattack on Iran’s oil ministry (which itself was a follow-up to Stuxnet). Shamoon wiped out every hard drive in every work station at Saudi Aramco, the joint U.S.–Saudi Arabian oil company—about 30,000 hard drives, in all—and planted on every one of its computer monitors the image of a burning American flag. The Iranians didn’t aim the malware at Aramco’s oil-drilling business, but the message was clear: They could aim it that way if they wanted to.

But let’s say that destroying Prigozhin’s computers is deemed excessive. Chris Wysopal, CTO of Veracode, a leading cybersecurity company, offers a more moderate option—slowing the computers down. “We could make the computers suffer hard-drive failures, keeping the operators so busy they couldn’t do much else,” Wysopal told me. “This is easy to do, and it would send a message: We can get to you, just like you can get to us, and we can step this up several notches”—for instance, fry the computers, as Clarke suggests—“if you don’t stop.”

This is the challenge posed by any sort of attack (cyber or otherwise): how to respond in a way that stops the conflict. How to damage the adversary badly enough to keep him from attacking again but not badly enough to incite a spiraling escalation. Another way of stating the dilemma: how to damage the enemy’s interests, and threaten to damage them more, without threatening his vital interests and thus provoking a counterattack.

Presidents have faced the dilemma before. During NATO’s 1997 war against Serbia , which also involved a secret “information-warfare” campaign against Serbian President Slobodan Milošević, the CIA, NSA, and other intelligence agencies traced the financial holdings of Milošević and his cronies. President Clinton decided to threaten these cronies’ assets—a covert operation that played a big role in ending their support for the Serbian regime—but not to go after Milosevic’s own money. The concern was that doing so could spur a backlash and destabilize global financial markets. Ever since, Western leaders have abided by that distinction.

And so, Western intelligence agencies know where Putin stores his money, but they won’t threaten to steal it or to manipulate his investments. But Western leaders could mount an information-warfare campaign to reveal, to the Russian people and the rest of the world, just how much money Putin has (news reports have estimated it might amount to $200 billion), where he got it, and how much his cronies—ministers, regional governors, and various business partners—have skimmed from the public till.

Of course, this would be awkward for the United States to reveal at the moment, as Putin’s spies could retaliate with spreadsheets exposing the Trump Organization’s far-flung holdings. We still don’t know just why President Trump declines to investigate, much less respond to, Russia’s cyberattacks on our democracy—why he refrains from uttering a single critical word about Putin or Russia, even as he trashes allied leaders, American lawmakers, and his own intelligence and law enforcement agencies. But fear of such backlash might explain a good part of his reticence.

This, then, is the root problem of why, as Adm. Rogers put it, “we have not opted to engage in some of the same behaviors that we are seeing” from Russia. It’s not that the State Department or some other federal agency lacks the money or the manpower. It’s that the president lacks the desire.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/03/why-is-america-letting-russia-get-away-with-meddling-in-our-democracy.html
ehBeth

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@McGentrix,
true

doesn't mean I might not like Jones' rules better. it would sure clean this place up.
coldjoint

Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:15 pm
@Real Music,

Quote:
Why is America letting Russia get away with meddling in our democracy?

Ask Obama.
0 Replies