monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:22 am
I am glad some action is being taken to make the spy alphabets accountable!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:58 am
https://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3673816/posts

0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 05:59 am
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/398902-gop-lawmakers-introduce-impeachment-resolution-against-rosenstein
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 06:49 am
@layman,
we have a corrupt, criminal president we didn't vote for in office and a bunch of GOP witch hunters trying their best to protect his corriupt ass.. Save the country, vote All the Republican toadies out of office in NOVember.
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Sergei Markov, a longtime Putin supporter and former lawmaker for the ruling United Russia party, wrote on social media after the summit that the Russian president had outplayed Trump in Helsinki “by a big margin”, but added:

“... In doing so he created a problem because he exposed his partner to fierce criticism in the United States.”
I've been thinking about this. It seems an unusually imprudent move by Putin.

Edit: I think we have to see the new date for the Putin/Trump meeting in the US as an attempt to cool down the "Trump is a Russian lackey" narrative. It may well have been Putin's idea.
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:11 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
US president Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been destroyed by someone with a pick axe.
I wouldn't have done it that way. I'd have hired prostitutes to pee on it. Still, hats off to the National Pick Axe association for ensuring citizens remain free to protect themselves from bad guys.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:13 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

we have a corrupt, criminal president we didn't vote for in office

Hahahahahaha. Yeah, right, eh?

By "we" I take you to mean "me and my fellow-travelin commies," eh?
Blickers

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:19 am
@izzythepush,
Quote BBC via Izzy:
Quote:
Republicans have launched a bid to remove the Department of Justice official overseeing the Russia inquiry dogging Donald Trump's presidency.

House of Representatives conservatives have filed articles of impeachment in an effort to oust Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

The articles were introduced by Representatives Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan,[Hah!] who accuse him of stonewalling their requests for information.Republicans have launched a bid to remove the Department of Justice official overseeing the Russia inquiry dogging Donald Trump's presidency.

A report I saw last night said only about 15 Re;publicans are behind this.

From BBC article:
Quote:
Impeachment would have to be approved by a majority in the House and backed by two-thirds of the US Senate to convict Mr Rosenstein, which makes the plan a long shot.
The House might be possible as presently constituted, even though now only a couple of dozen Republicans are behind this. There are 435 members in the House of Representatives at full strength. With the present six vacancies, there are 439 total, 236 Republicans, 193 Democrats.

Getting two thirds of the Senate is another thing. They need to remove Rosenstein. Republicans are a 51-49 majority in the Senate. If everyone votes along party lines, that means removal fails. The Republicans need all their Republican votes plus 17 Democratic votes, to remove Rosenstein. In addition, it is highly unlikely that Arizona Republicans John McCain and Jeff Flake would vote for removal, and possibly other Republicans as well.

Basically, it's the Freedom Caucus, (Tea Baggers), just putting on a show.
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:19 am
@RABEL222,
I'm not exactly sure why you bumped that up. But the right wing media system now in place (and growing) that misinforms deceives and hives off its audience through controlling what they hear and see (only Fox on AF 1) is perhaps America's greatest threat.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:31 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Yes. But this minority wields a lot of power.
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:33 am
Holy poop. More than 100 Trump-related tapes scooped up by investigators. TPM
Blickers

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:41 am
@blatham,
Quote blatham:
Quote:
Yes. But this minority [Congressional Tea Baggers], wields a lot of power.
Not enough power to get this done. Presently they have less than 10 percent of the Republican votes in the House, and even if they win the House over on impeaching Rosentein, they still have to get 17 Senate Democrats to complete his removal from office. Or more if Flake and McCain vote against removal, which they probably will.

The only way they get Rosenstein removed is if the cops start digging up a whole lot of bodies out of his basement. Then they might get the 17 Senate Democrat votes for removal. Short of that, forget it.
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:51 am
@Blickers,
Understood.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:53 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
That's probably true. But it doesn't matter. Trump can still pardon everyone who is harmed by this witch hunt.
Olivier5

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:57 am
@blatham,
Even Putin can overshoot.
Blickers

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 07:59 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
But it doesn't matter. Trump can still pardon everyone who is harmed by this witch hunt.

Quite a few of them have already turned evidence for Mueller. Manafort hasn't turned, but they have Gates, Manafort's partner, turning which effectively counters Manafort's denials. And it looks like Cohen, (who was in on everything Trump has pulled for a long time), has turned as well, so it's essentially Game Over.

Like I said before,

Apres Cohen, le déluge
blatham

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:07 am
@Olivier5,
Yes. And likely there was an element of self-promotion (for the Russian audience) in Putin's behavior.
oralloy

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:11 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Quite a few of them have already turned evidence for Mueller. Manafort hasn't turned, but they have Gates, Manafort's partner, turning which effectively counters Manafort's denials. And it looks like Cohen, (who was in on everything Trump has pulled for a long time), has turned as well, so it's essentially Game Over.
None of that can stop Trump from pardoning all of these people.

Blickers wrote:
Like I said before,
Apres Cohen, le déluge
Is there an English translation?
MontereyJack

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
@layman,
No. I mean the large majority of voters who did not vote for Trump and did not and do not support his agenda. Which is why he's still well below 50% approval and not gaining any beyond his initial support. We are the people who'll vote enough Republicans out of oiffice in November to defang him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 08:26 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Blickers wrote:
Like I said before,
Apres Cohen, le déluge
Is there an English translation?
Those, who know history, know that the original - après moi le déluge - is attributed to the French King Louis XV ... or Madame de Pompadour.
Literally it means "after me [Cohen], the deluge.
0 Replies