monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 02:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I suspect one of the witnesses will be Melania Trump, after she received assurance she and her anchor baby will be able to stay
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 02:58 pm
Quote:
FISA Applications Confirm: The FBI Relied on the Unverified Steele Dossier

So the entire investigation is illegal. That is a wrap. Trump will pardon Manafort. Wink
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/carter-page-fisa-applications-fbi-steele-dossier/
glitterbag

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:01 pm
@coldjoint,
Try again, it did no such thing....the FISA request was requested in 2013.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Try again, it did no such thing....the FISA request was requested in 2013.

Mc Carthy is a former DOJ prosecutor. I will take his word over yours any day of the week.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:10 pm
Quote:
Andrew McCarthy: How the FBI manipulated the FISA courts using the salacious Steele dossier

Quote:
Now that we can see it all in black and white — mostly black, as they are heavily redacted — it is crystal clear that the Steele dossier, an unverified Clinton-campaign product, was the driving force behind the Trump-Russia investigation.

Based on the dossier, the FBI told the FISA court it believed that Carter Page, who had been identified by the Trump campaign as an adviser, was coordinating with the Russian government in an espionage conspiracy to influence the 2016 election.

This sensational allegation came from Christopher Steele, the former British spy. The FISA court was not told that the Clinton campaign was behind Steele’s work. Nor did the FBI and Justice Department inform the court that Steele’s allegations had never been verified. To the contrary, each FISA application — the original one in October 2016, and the three renewals at 90-day intervals — is labeled “VERIFIED APPLICATION” (bold caps in original). And each one makes this breathtaking representation:

The FBI has reviewed this verified application for accuracy in accordance with its April 5, 2001 procedures, which include sending a copy of the draft to the appropriate field office(s).

In reality, the applications were never verified for accuracy.

Tell us where he is wrong
http://therightscoop.com/andrew-mccarthy-how-the-fbi-manipulated-the-fisa-courts-using-the-salacious-steele-dossier/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:23 pm
Quote:
New NBC/WSJ Poll Shows Trump Approval Rating and GOP Generic Ballot Up

After all the negative news his popularity rises and the Democrats drop. Why is that? Shocked
https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2018/07/23/new-nbcwsj-poll-shows-trump-approval-rating-gop-generic-ballot/
MontereyJack

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 03:41 pm
@gungasnake,
Trump will e so discredited by then, Lassie the Dog could run against him and win.

MontereyJack

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Gallup says Trump's. Approval dropped a point and his disapproval rose ctwo and he is still well underwater.. Everybody'S opinions are hardening and not in his favor.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:20 pm
Is this being shown over there, or is it just for our consumption?

nimh

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Hey Mac, why don't you 'splain it to us? We're not sure that conspiring with a foreign dictatorship to manipulate, weaken and ridicule the US democracy and divide NATO actually counts as treason. Maybe it's all mindless fun, huh?

That's quite a mixed bag of things you're including here, isn't it?

For example, "ridiculing US democracy" -- whether in consultation with foreign enemies or not -- should be firmly part of free speech, shouldn't it? "Weakening" is pretty broad too..

It seems kind of hard to escape the echoes from the days when there were committed Communist Party activists in the US (or France, etc), who did their best to "weaken" the existing US (etc) system because they sincerely believed the Soviet Union offered a superior model for society. They certainly "conspired with a foreign dictatorship to manipulate, weaken and ridicule the US democracy", and they openly opposed NATO too.

Were they all traitors? If not, were the party leaders who personally communicated with (and received instructions from) Moscow traitors? If so, does that mean the Red Scare and McCarthyism etc were actually justified? Or did their activism still all fall under freedom of speech and assembly? Should the deciding factor be about whether this kind of thing was done openly or conspirationally? (But the communists did plenty of the consultations with Moscow secretly too.) Is the definition situational, i.e. about how close to power the people in question were? I.e. okay if it's some fringe party, but treason if they got to the presidency itself? (But how do you deploy legal definitions situationally?)

What are the implications of using words like "treason" or "act of war" -- because I've seen that one plenty too, in reference to Russia's meddling in the US election? E.g. what are the risks of declaring that Russia committed an "act of war"? What retaliatory actions does that imply/authorize?

Personally, I'm convinced the Russian government actively interfered in the US election (and not just the US one); I am not sure how much of Trump's election that explains; but I feel that, regardless, some diplomatic retaliation (eg sanctions) was always in order. But I also admit that all this talk about treason and acts of war is making me a little queasy, maybe exactly because I'm not all too sure about what responses that would all imply or authorize.
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
At a hearing in the federal courthouse in Alexandria, Va., on Monday morning, Judge Ellis granted Mueller’s request and ordered that the names of those five prospective witnesses be made public.

Within hours of Ellis’ ruling, the names of those witnesses were unsealed: Dennis Raico, Cindy Laporta, Conor O’Brien, Donna Duggan, and James Brennan.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/judge-grants-immunity-mueller-witnesses-manafort-seeks-trial/story?id=56761562
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:40 pm
@nimh,
Maybe I am myself now guilty of conflating two different things.

The "act of war" talk definitely made me queasy, and Josh Barro (of all people) kind of summarized my hesitations:

https://i.imgur.com/WWm88Jd.png

Worth mentioning Dowd's response too, though (to which Barro doesn't seem to have replied):

>Josh, come on. We are in the 21st century. Acts of war don’t have to be military action. And don’t always require military action as a response. But do require a response. A state, Russia, actively undermined our democracy. What would you call it?

Ugh. I don't know what to think.
layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:08 pm
Like, whooda thunk, I ax ya?:

Quote:
Toronto shooting suspect identified as Faisal Hussain

Canadian authorities identified the gunman who killed two people and injured 13 others in a lively Toronto neighborhood Sunday night as 29-year-old Faisal Hussain.

Canadian authorities identified the gunman who killed two people and injured 13 others in a lively Toronto neighborhood Sunday night as 29-year-old Faisal Hussain. The 13 wounded ranged in age from 10 to 59, and suffered injuries ranging from serious to minor.

Witnesses heard many shots and described the suspect walking past restaurants and cafes and patios on both sides of the street and firing into them.

Faisal Hussain, eh? What kinda name is that, I wonder? German? French, maybe?
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:27 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Which is about par for the course. His idea of a fact is anything that comes to him in a bizarre fever dream. He doesn't know what facts are,
You have a big mouth for someone who can't point out anything that I'm wrong about.

izzythepush wrote:
like he doesn't know what freedom is,
I have a very good idea. Unlike European serfs, I actually live freedom.

izzythepush wrote:
or intelligence for that matter.
Another thing that I am intimately familiar with because I actually live it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Quote:
In criminal law, the duty to retreat, or requirement of safe retreat, is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions that a threatened person cannot stand one's ground and apply lethal force in self-defense, but must instead retreat to a place of safety...Other states apply what is known as the castle doctrine, whereby a threatened person need not retreat within his or her own dwelling.

In Erwin v. State (1876), the Supreme Court of Ohio wrote that a "true man", one without fault, would not retreat. In Runyan v. State (1877), the Indiana court rejected a duty to retreat, implying it was un-American, writing of a referring to the distinct American mind, "the tendency of the American mind seems to be very strongly against" a duty to retreat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat

Most of these candyass States require you to run away from threats as fast as you can until you get home, eh? Some even require you to keep running, out your back-door, if the criminal wants to keep chasing you inside your crib. The law actually requires you to be a damn coward.

Ohio, Indiana, Florida, Texas, and some others got it right, eh? They don't cotton to no cheese-eatin "unamerican" crap, like commies do, eh?
Have you been following the Florida popcorn shooting case?

http://able2know.org/topic/234184-1

A brief synopsis of the events:

A retired police captain (now an old man) had a habit of going out to the movies and hassling anyone who used cell phones during the movie.

Some guy (middle aged, not muscle bound like a body builder, but clearly stronger than an old man) was on a date with his wife and was texting the baby sitter during the movie previews.

The retired police captain hassled the texter relentlessly until the texter got fed up, threw his cell phone at the retired police captain, stood over the retired police captain in his seat, grabbed his box of popcorn out of his lap, and threw the box of popcorn in his face.

The retired police captain shot the texter once in the heart and killed him.

I'm not sure what to think about the incident, but it seems to generate a lot of strong opinions on both sides.
glitterbag

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, Sacha Baron Cohen has a show on Showtime and presents himself as various people and interviews politicians, ex politicians and celebrities including retired newspeople like Ted Koppel. I haven't seen it yet, but its getting a lot of newsprint. Unfortunately, Jason Spencer is a politician in the state of Georgia who apparently is a bonafide ignorant cow-patty.
layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Have you been following the Florida popcorn shooting case?

http://able2know.org/topic/234184-1

A brief synopsis of the events:

A retired police captain (now an old man) had a habit of going out to the movies and hassling anyone who used cell phones during the movie.

Some guy (middle aged, not muscle bound like a body builder, but clearly stronger than an old man) was on a date with his wife and was texting the baby sitter during the movie previews.

The retired police captain hassled the texter relentlessly until the texter got fed up, threw his cell phone at the retired police captain, stood over the retired police captain in his seat, grabbed his box of popcorn out of his lap, and threw the box of popcorn in his face.

The retired police captain shot the texter once in the heart and killed him.

I'm not sure what to think about the incident, but it seems to generate a lot of strong opinions on both sides.

Naw, first I've heard of it. Don't sound right to me. This guy clearly seems to have over-reacted.

The was a video tape of the incident I just posted about. The shooter there sorta seemed to be "lookin for trouble," too. But the guy who shoved him to the ground was huge, and sent him flying about 8-10 feet. Then, once the guy was down, the "victim" kept coming towards him. Bad decision, eh?
layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 07:03 pm
@layman,
On the one hand, it doesn't seem too sporting to just haul off and cap some guy over some relatively minor physical assault. I've been in a shitload of fights, without ever pulling a gun.

But, on the other hand, why should I have to risk even a broken jaw, if not worse, just because some bastard decides to attack me? It's much cleaner to just bust a cap in his ass and be done with it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 07:05 pm
@layman,
The popcorn shooting will probably be in the news a bit sometime over the next couple years, either because of the trial, or because the stand your ground claim ultimately succeeded in avoiding the trial.

There is video of that incident too: