monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:09 am
@ehBeth,
It could be most people including those in leading positions are focusing on the mid-terms right now instead of the presidential race which is still a pretty good ways off.
layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:14 am
Well, OK, then!

Quote:
Florida sheriff says 'Stand Your Ground' law prevents arrest in fatal shooting in parking spot dispute

Markeis McGlockton, 28, shoved Michael Drejka, 47, to the ground during the argument Thursday at a Clearwater convenience store and then was shot and killed when Drejka, from a sitting position, pulled out a gun he legally owned and opened fire, shooting McGlockton once in the chest.

McGlockton, of Clearwater, shoved Drejka after he came out of the store and saw Drejka arguing with his girlfriend Britany Jacobs, 25, who was parked in the handicapped parking spot. Drejka, also of Clearwater, confronted her because she didn’t have a permit to legally park there, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

A Florida sheriff says the state’s “Stand Your Ground” law prevents the arrest of a man who fatally shot another man last week during an argument over a handicapped parking spot. “He told deputies that he had to shoot to defend himself. Those are the facts and that’s the law," Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said, according to WFTS-TV. “No matter how you slice it or dice it that was a violent push to the ground.

Jacobs told WFTS that Drejka was getting away with murder. “How is this 'Stand Your Ground' law?" she asked. "It’s not! Markeis pushed him, how does that justify a bullet?”

“What’s relevant is not whether this guy’s a good guy, nice guy, or whether he’s a jerk, or whether he’s a thorn in people’s side and what he’s done, whether it’s three weeks ago, three months ago or three years ago,” the sheriff said. “What’s relevant and the only thing we can look at here is was he in fear of further bodily harm."

Gualtieri announced Drejka had been cleared Friday. His decision led to a small protest at the store Saturday, Fox 13 Tampa reported

Nice try, cheese-eaters.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:18 am
@revelette1,
And that's why the party is standing on its back foot.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:31 am
@coldjoint,
Iran has a history of ******* with people they shouldn't **** with. Somewhere around 1218 A.D., the governor of the border city of Otrar intercepted a Mongolian trade caravan and, with the connivance of the Shah of the Khwarism (silk road) Empire, that is, the Eastern Turkish Empire which was the most major military power in the Muslim world at the time, took everything and killed everybody and, when Genghis Khan sent four ambassadors to figure out what had happened, burned their beards off and sent them back to Genghis Khan like that to show Genghis Khan how bad he was. The story did not end happily for the protagonists.

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:34 am
@ehBeth,
Your take (or emotional response) re Warren is very different from mine. That's interesting.
Quote:
I was talking about the need for the Democrats to find a young, smart AND charismatic candidate years ago. Neither of the major US parties seems to have a gift for bringing young candidates up through the ranks. I think it's a horrible gap.

I think there's no question that much too little work has gone into building/maintaining infrastructure which enthuses, tutors and organizes young people even if I also think that in the present culture this is a very problematic undertaking (quite different from the sixties). But, yes, it does have to be done regardless.

In my eyes, the most hopeful phenomenon (by far) was the Women's March which produced the largest protest gathering in human history. And as I've said before, I do think that US democracy is likely toast unless many more women become active, run for office and then achieve office. I want a candidate who builds on that dynamic and who, once in office, will have the intellectual and experiential background to push progressive values and legislation.
layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:34 am
@layman,
Quote:
In criminal law, the duty to retreat, or requirement of safe retreat, is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions that a threatened person cannot stand one's ground and apply lethal force in self-defense, but must instead retreat to a place of safety...Other states apply what is known as the castle doctrine, whereby a threatened person need not retreat within his or her own dwelling.

In Erwin v. State (1876), the Supreme Court of Ohio wrote that a "true man", one without fault, would not retreat. In Runyan v. State (1877), the Indiana court rejected a duty to retreat, implying it was un-American, writing of a referring to the distinct American mind, "the tendency of the American mind seems to be very strongly against" a duty to retreat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat

Most of these candyass States require you to run away from threats as fast as you can until you get home, eh? Some even require you to keep running, out your back-door, if the criminal wants to keep chasing you inside your crib. The law actually requires you to be a damn coward.

Ohio, Indiana, Florida, Texas, and some others got it right, eh? They don't cotton to no cheese-eatin "unamerican" crap, like commies do, eh?
gungasnake

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:35 am
@Lash,
Bernie Sanders will be 80 years old and 2020 and he looks MORE like a bum than red Skelton's old Freddy the freeloader character. He is not a viable political candidate for anything.
blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:37 am
@Lash,
Sewing discord. Not to mention pushing the same talking points created by or pushed by Russian and GOP black PR agents.
blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:45 am
Here's where Sanders fucks up and badly
Quote:
Nancy LeTourneau
‏@Smartypants60
Bernie Sanders suggests that a party that was led by Barack Obama for 8 years represented the one percenters.

I have no problem discussing Sanders' “progressive” policies, but statements like that are a lie and are unconscionable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:46 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Your take (or emotional response) re Warren is very different from mine.

lack of emotional response - my reaction to seeing her is almost exactly the same as when I read her. Her presence doesn't add anything for me. I'd have a hard time getting enthusiastic enough to campaign for her if I was in the US - and I kind of love campaigning/talking up candidates IRL.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:47 am
https://earloftaint.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/totem.jpg
I think Valerie's head should be on top, but this works too.
oristarA

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:53 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Bernie Sanders will be 80 years old and 2020 and he looks MORE like a bum than red Skelton's old Freddy the freeloader character. He is not a viable political candidate for anything.

For the sake of a true America, Hillary Clinton will consider or be persuaded to run for president in 2020. She won popular vote in 2016, after all.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:58 am
Quote:
Had Enough Therapy?

Quote:
Anyone with any sense of reality, anyone who was willing to judge the effectiveness of policy in terms of the outcome produced, would have long since abandoned the radical leftist cause. Communism counts among the greatest policy failures in human history.

What human mind would think that we should resurrect it? The answer is clear: a mind that has been deformed by the American educational establishment. Having long since abandoned the goal of teaching anyone anything, American educators have turned their classrooms into indoctrination mills. They no longer teach anyone how to think. They tell students what they must and must not believe. As for judging policy in terms of past successes and failures, it is forbidden. Rational and empirical thought is banned. You are required to believe the right beliefs, adhere to the correct dogmas.

This guy tells it like it is.
Quote:
Being seriously undereducated they cannot grasp most of the material. Their professors cannot either, so they do not feel that badly. But, when something arises in class or in the culture at large that they do not understand, they stand forth, like buffoons, and declare that they have been triggered, that their feelings are hurt. Anyone with a minimal sense of shame would know better than to advertise such weakness, but in America's educational establishment, what with its transvaluation of values, it counts as strength.

This system has given us the mindless stupidity of the Democratic Party’s new poster child: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Rarely have we seen such an ignorant politician, someone who functionally knows nothing. But, she is merely a symptom. Today’s young people, having had their minds deformed by radicalized pedagogues, do not know how to think, have never learned the habits necessary to hold down a job and seem increasingly incapable of competing in the world markets.

http://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2018/07/revolution-on-left.html?spref=tw
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:00 am
@ehBeth,
"Emotional". I was leery of using that term for the obvious reason. But that is what it is. Nothing to do with policy prescriptions. I suppose neither of us ought to presume our response is broadly mirrored in others.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:00 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
She won popular vote in 2016, after all.

After all that still means 0.
Lash

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:01 am
@blatham,
If the Russians push discord by saying “establishment democrats are the best choice America has to beat Trump,” will you then abandon establishment democrats...cuz Russia?

If Russians say black lives matter is a legitimate push back by oppressed blacks as they attempt to gain some traction against institutional racism, will you then withdraw your support from BLM....cuz Russia?!

layman

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 10:08 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
She won popular vote in 2016, after all.

No Democrat running for national office will get that in 2020. By then Trump will have thrown all the illegal aliens out.
0 Replies