monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 07:22 am
Analysis: How Trump Decision Revealed G.O.P. Memo’s Shaky Foundation
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:12 am
@blatham,
Good lord. There's a fine way to lose an election.
blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:16 am
@ehBeth,
I wondered about your opinion on this. I think you're wrong. It's hard to imagine your protest would be as regards competence, intelligence or ideology. It must be marketing, I think.
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
@blatham,
She's past her sell-by date and makes Mrs. Clinton look charismatic. She's the Elizabeth May of the US.
Blickers

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:22 am
@blatham,
Love Warren's politics. She'll be 71 when she takes office if she wins, so I hope if she does she commits to being a one term president.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:24 am
@revelette1,
That's a great piece, rev
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:29 am
@ehBeth,
Those are marketing considerations (not invalid for being that) which bow to sexist and ageist notions. I find her very charismatic and getting better at that as time goes by. We'll see what options present themselves over the next year.

PS the Mercer family has already established a SuperPac to bring her down.
blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:31 am
Today's Voices From the Right
Quote:
A Republican lawmaker and former FBI agent told NPR on Sunday that it’s clear President Donald Trump was “manipulated” by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“The President was manipulated by Vladimir Putin. … Vladimir Putin is a master manipulator,” Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) told NPR’s Michel Martin, adding that he was “frankly sickened by the exchange” between the two world leaders.
TPM
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:32 am
now there's something to mull over

Quote:
Pay attention to the timeline:
Putin in DC on Nov. 2.
Midterms are Nov. 6.
Military parade on Nov. 10.
maporsche

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:38 am
@ehBeth,
I’d vote for Warren of course, but I’d like to see a younger candidate. Not because I think she’s too old to do the job but because I want a younger candidate to help promote the party for decades to come.
blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
Sounds perfectly strongmanish.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:47 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
because I want a younger candidate to help promote the party for decades to come.
I see no reason to assume that Warren won't achieve exactly that.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:50 am
Quote:
The spoiler effort, now underway in tandem with the pro-Trump America First super PAC — which helps promote the president’s agenda — is geared toward more than muddying-up prospective Trump opponents. The groups are also pursuing a strategy intended to pit Democrats against each other in a battle of progressive bona fides that the PAC is gleefully branding as the “#RaceToTheLeft.”

The idea is to Identify and create fissures among Democratic candidates, fueling a race to embrace liberal litmus tests like single-payer health care, and stoke emerging flashpoints such as rejecting corporate PAC contributions, legalizing marijuana and abolishing the federal government’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.
Politico
This - fostering division and discord - will be the game. As it was last election.
gungasnake

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:55 am
Face it, Democrats don't have anything even remotely resembling a viable presidential candidate and, in all likelihood, will be stuck running the Hildeabeast again and 2020 exactly the same way they were stuck running Adlai Stevenson against Ike a second time in 1956.

That was the Democrat party at its best, the man who just won World War II versus a left wing schlamozzle whose own mother might or might not recognize him if she had not seen him in three days. Sort of like a heavyweight versus chicken weight fight, Joe Louis versus little-Weewee Jones.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 08:56 am
@blatham,
For sure.

It’s why you see things like #DemExit on the signature line of some of the righties even on this site.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:04 am
@blatham,
I have always found her incredibly flat - smart and flat. Again, think Elizabeth May. Canada's smartest politician by far - she's been acknowledged as a parliamentary leader by all of the parties - superb technical debater - but just not there as a campaigner.

Would I vote for Ms. Warren if I was a voter in the US? I'd have to, but I sure wouldn't be happy that the party had selected her.

I was talking about the need for the Democrats to find a young, smart AND charismatic candidate years ago. Neither of the major US parties seems to have a gift for bringing young candidates up through the ranks. I think it's a horrible gap.
ehBeth

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:06 am
@blatham,
And the party has done nothing meaningful to prevent it being successful. Nothing.

They should have had their next candidate ready to go.

Nothing happening on the succession planning side.
revelette1

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:06 am
@Lash,
It doesn't matter how it started, the republicans and other outside groups such as the Russian Trolls use it and others because they see it as a negative for the left and benefiting the right and Trump. It plays right into their hands.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Iran has never threatened America.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say.