monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:40 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Two or three individuals (frugal and layman are two)

The combination of being cocksure while being dead wrong is frequently seen in the cheese-eaters posts, eh?

It's kinda quaint, actually.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:46 pm
@Blickers,
Ya know, Blathy kinda brings to mind something that was written about the cheese-eating reporter for some limey rag, Robert Fisk, a few years back.

Quote:
"Fisk suffers from John Pilgers tendency to exaggerate; everything Fisk covers, from mundane conversations to journeys on dirt roads, is loaded with deep meanings, ominous portents, and unspeakable dangers---Id love to read Fisks account of a shopping trip....

"The towering stack of bread loaves, great cumulous formations of baked dough, cast a grim shadow over my shopping trolley. Its wheels creaked menacingly. I was still two aisles away from the frozen vegetables, but comforted myself with the knowledge that when you believe in jihad, it is easy."

layman

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:53 pm
Some may recall that this same Fisky-boy was once surrounded by an angry Afgan mob and got the living **** beat out of him. When it was over, he blamed himself, saying he would beat himself too, if he were them.

Quote:
Having successfully introduced the novel legal concept of the "hate crime," progressive opinion has now taken it to dizzying new heights: the hate-me crime.

Even as a mob is trying to kill him, [Fisk] absolves them of all responsibility.

It's "entirely" America's fault. Noam Chomsky, eat your heart out....at a stroke, Mr. Fisk has dramatically raised the bar for standards of Western self-loathing.
cicerone imposter

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:17 pm
@layman,
Back to Trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/?tid=a_inl-amp

The Washington Post says Trump's presidency is doomed.
Builder

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Which means Pence is in, like they forecast?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The Washington Post says Trump's presidency is doomed.

Wapo, the rag that considers the publication of double-hearsay from anonymous sources to be "reporting" eh? A typical excerpt from that left-wing rag:

Quote:
“It’s hostile,” said this person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of further retribution. “It’s not just that we’re frozen out. . . . I was told they said there was an enemies list.”

The irony is that, in this case, the report is actually correct. Trump has compiled a long-ass list of enemies, and he is gunna rough they sorry ass plumb the **** UP, I tellya!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
intellectually elite

You do toss that phrase around a lot george. In between your recommendations that a proper education includes attending to Machiavelli, Cicero and Thucidides.

I just noticed this jewel. I usually say " self appointed intellectual elite"

I never mentioned Cicero. I had a lifetime dose of him in High School.

Frankly I see little evidence that contemporary elites know much of classical literature.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:17 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I never mentioned Cicero. I had a lifetime dose of him in High School.
One of the very few things where I totally agree with you!
layman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 01:05 am
So blacks say John Lewis is a "civil rights turncoat who is collaborating with the Democratic Party to oppress black americans," eh? A "stooge." Like a beaten wife? An "illegitimate congressman." Who knew?

0 Replies

layman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 02:45 am
This guy, like William Owens in the video I posted, don't seem to think the Democrats are such friends to them, eh? I wonder why? Things like this, as reported by Huffpo, no less, maybe?

Quote:
“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them...I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” (Lyndon Johnson)

After continuing with a lot of similar quotations of democrats, the author observes that:

These quotes from Dems are why minority voters are starting to understand how they’ve been swindled into thinking that the Democratic Party best represents their interests. That’s worrisome for Democrats at large. The facts, coming home to roost, will create a major backlash against the Democratic Party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-relentless-conservative/the-democratic-partys-two_b_933995.html

Well, 200 years aint come and gone yet, eh? The Democrats should be worried. Very worried. Give Trump 4 years, then look at the results, and these suspicions will be fully substantiated and verified, I figure.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tony5732

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 04:40 am
@blatham,
Yeah, it's a thing. I had that happen to me several times on bobsal's threads (when he was around) . I really don't about that, but it IS a problem when you get like 8 thumbs down on every post of yours at the same time.

A2k is mostly liberal if I'm not mistaken so frequent thumbs down on conservative is not an anomaly, but the timing can be pretty fishy.
0 Replies

tony5732

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 04:44 am
I love it when you thumb me 😂
0 Replies

tony5732

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 04:45 am
@layman,
I hate that guy.
Olivier5

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 05:01 am
@layman,
Michael Moore is one of the smartest Americans alive. He's pretty much right all the time, reason for which he annoys everybody from the extreme right to the extreme left.
Olivier5

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 05:08 am
@layman,
He's brighter than you can understand.
layman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 05:18 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

He's brighter than you can understand.

Christopher Hitchens, who actually was a very bright commie, had a very low opinion of Moore and his intellect, eh? Talking about Moore and his film here:

Quote:
To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental.

To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery.

I never quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would even be possible.

Owned. BIGTIME.