monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:31 am
An interesting parallel can be drawn with the meeting between Putin and newly-elected French president Sarkozy during the 2007 G8 summit in Moscow. It's been widely reported in France. See this summary from national TV channel France 2 (in French with an English summary below the vid):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRr9tTqiS4

In essence, Putin told a naïve Sarko, who was raising human rights issues in Russia: "if you keep up speaking to me like this, I'll crush you. If you change your tone, I can make you the king of Europe." Sarkozy was brutally intimidated and appeared "groggy" in the following press conference, like a boxer beaten to pulp by his opponent.

And he did change his tone...

Builder

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:50 am
@Olivier5,
Sarkozy was a narcissitic dope. They always look like a lost puppy after meeting their nemesis.

He also had many skeletons in the closet, and to be shown inside your closet by an opponent is often daunting.

I like how the prez is switching the focus back to exactly what the MSM is trying to provide cover for.

https://www.facebook.com/vicenews/videos/1092895890870360/
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 04:42 am
@Olivier5,
Stronger growth, new jobs, more freedom: Japan and Europe have signed a new trade agreement - and sent a clear signal against Donald Trump's customs policy.

EU-Japan free trade agreement defies protectionism
najmelliw

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:42 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That might explain his response re Russian meddling, but it does not explain his attacks on NATO and his lukewarm response to the invasion of Crimea and Assad's war crimes, (with Russian backing,) in Syria.

Russia and Trump go back a long way, long before he was running for office. Putin has had a long time to collect damning evidence. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was Putin's idea that Trump should run for president in the first place.

Actually, I think that it does, at least to a degree. Trump feels himself(or so I think) as the undesignated leader of the NATO(probably historically justified). However, if he then takes the look of a businessman, you once again find yourself with Trump at the helm of an organization he probably sees no real use for, since in his eyes, his 'strong bonds' with Putin makes the reason NATO was established in the first place kind of moot. Couple that with his irritation at the fact the financial burdens were unfairly falling on US shoulders. I think Trump is more then ready and willing to either dissolve NATO or at least withdraw the USA from it.

But frankly, I don't buy that Putin would have something so bad on Trump that he could make him say these things in front of the camera. Or rather, that he would make Donald say these sort of things for the world to hear. Because what would he have to gain for it?

If this is true, then Putin effectively has the US president in his pocket, right? Then why make him make such inflammatory remarks on tv? If Trump goes too far, it might get him impeached, and then what would happen? Putin would lose his puppet, and the US would distrust Russia once again.

So what does Putin have to gain from Trump saying what he did?
blatham

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:42 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
This is about survival of bona fide democracy in the age of mass disinformation.
I think that is so.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:43 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Sarkozy was a narcissitic dope. ... He also had many skeletons in the closet, 

Exactly, just like Trump. But to Sarkozy's credit, he was elected free and fair by a majority of voters. Trump doesn't even have that legitimacy: Putin elected him. Hence his submissiveness.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's good, we need new allies and partners, and so does Japan.
farmerman

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:16 am
@Olivier5,
Even if Trump had the slightest concern about his own intellegence, he shoulda kept his dumass mouth shut and not projected a sense of emasculation in front of the news. Now, it seems, weve exchanged alliances based on Trumps fragile narcissistic ego.
engineer

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:20 am
@farmerman,
It was all just so Neville Chamberlain. It was a sad day watching the President of the US grovel to a foreign strongman.
Olivier5

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:23 am
@farmerman,
"Today is a good day for Putin and the oligarchs in Russia. It is a bad day for people in the United States and all over the world who believe in democracy and who are trying to understand what world our idiot president lives in."
-- Bernie Sanders, yesterday
blatham

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:24 am
In today's edition of Voice From The Right
Quote:
Michael Gerson
‏Verified account
@MJGerson
“And so our president, who shows how tough he is by abusing migrant children, was a cringing coward before a dictator. “
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:58 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
8 Times Obama Sold Out America to Russia

Quote:
What did Putin get from Obama?

[...]

2. A free hand in Syria

Glad that is settled. Obama was, and is a traitor.

You have previously accused Obama of being a traitor because he armed and trained the Syrian rebels who fought against Assad and Russia.

Now you're apparently arguing the opposite -- that Obama was a traitor because he didn't do anything to stop Russia and Assad.

Any argument will do, I guess?
gungasnake

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:07 am
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37298500_10216688407550946_8694247377545986048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=52cc709357e954b4dd5548d5822df308&oe=5BC7677F

Your Reaction When your intelligence agency is outed as illegally funneling half a billion dollars or more through money laundering from Russia to the Hillary campaign which then loses and is outed on global television 20 months later.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:26 am
Issuing a subpoena for John Brennan:

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:34 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

If this is true, then Putin effectively has the US president in his pocket, right? Then why make him make such inflammatory remarks on tv?

I don't think Putin micromanages Trump's every move, but Trump is an idiot. He says stupid things because he's stupid.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 07:44 am
@izzythepush,
I'm sure Putin is aware of that.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:14 am
Although I don't agree with the way Trump put things, I can see where he's coming from.

For many good reasons, he doesn't trust Obama's intelligence agency output.

Insofar as present conclusions presuppose the validity of premises whose basis is unknown or undisclosed, he not ready to fully trust those conclusions either.

He still wants to know all the facts before jumping to some conclusion. That's why he keeps bringing up the fact that access to the DNC servers was denied by the democrats. Why? Why must the FBI's conclusions be based up the representations of private entities employed by Clinton? The same entities who bashed her phones to bits and destroyed all the memory with bleach?

Everyone who is not a cheese-eater can rationally conclude that there was in fact a coordinated effort by many, including Brennan and Clapper, to try to convict Trump in the arena of public opinion by way of cheap innuendo, insinuation and outright fabrication. All in the hopes of seeing him impeached, and with the further purpose of limiting his ability to govern effectively.

And that would include any attempt to thaw our icy relationship with Russia. The mere filing of the indictments (which contained no information which hasn't been available for over a year) was immediately used by many to demand that he not even meet with Putin, for example.
farmerman

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:25 am
@layman,
"Seeing where hes coming from" doesnt help the problem get resolved. Youve got an invested interest that the allegations regarding Trump NOT be true. You therefore, should try to adopt some greater objectivity that is only affected by our country's needs andrequirements.

Trump shows no skills at anything weve elected him for.

. Even Reagan's talk points were much better measured than are Trump
farmerman

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
watching Trump in his daily dribbles, brings to mind that
"The only thing a bully fears is a bigger bully"
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:32 am
@Olivier5,
Bernie called him an idiot?