monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:39 am
@glitterbag,
It appears one of my ignored people has posted twice after my last post. If anyone still give a happy **** over those comments, drop me a line.......I don't have the patience to read that 'stuff'. sho nuff, hollah
Blickers

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:41 am
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
I didn't justify anything except that the journey though Mexico is probably far more dangerous to a child's mental health than to be separated from their parents for awhile. Nothing the US has done is cruel and inhumane. You guys have exaggerated this to such an extent there is simply nothing to say to you.
You said that the trip through Mexico was likely full of danger, so people should stop complaining about the parents being separated from their children with no plan to re-unite at all, ever. Hence, you employed the possible hardships of the journey to justify the US inhumanity to the immigrant parents and children.

You then repeated the same cockamamie concept again, while denying that you were justifying anything.

Up to now, I've never seen the hardships people have had to suffer to get here used as a reason to treat them like subhumans. It's as if America was never the land of the underdog, or ever stood for the principle of human rights even of the most humble of persons. Trump's supporters have adopted Trump's view of life-what, the migrants didn't fly here first class? Then we'll treat them like the slobs they are, no room for broke-ass slobs in this America.

What a disgrace.
Builder

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:49 am
@layman,
Quote:
And they actually have to ask, eh?

Is the DNC finished, though?

She had them pegged with the contract they signed.
Blickers

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:50 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
It appears one of my ignored people has posted twice after my last post. If anyone still give a happy **** over those comments, drop me a line.......I don't have the patience to read that 'stuff'. sho nuff, hollah
I find the enjoyment level of A2K rises dramatically when I put on Ignore the posters who make a conscious effort to make their posts as annoying as possible.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:58 am
@Blickers,
Micky doesn't post very often, but when he does, he blames everyone else for the ruthless treatment of babies. Parents should never flee from murderous situations, but if they do, no one should complain if their children are confiscated by ICE and stored in cages. Not only that, but its a big FU if you think you can ever get your children back. The ICE have them, and they will deal with them as they see fit.......it's not like they are American babies.......honest to god....they might be placed in our 1st class foster care abomination....or.....well....we don't have to worry, they only belong to people trying to escape desperation, murder, gangs, drugs, human trafficking, pedophiles, you know, all the things Our Great Country Eschews......well, most of us anyway.

All the founding fathers are spinning in their graves.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:12 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Is the DNC finished, though?

Yeah, they're pretty much finished, if you ask me. They have, and want, no real solutions. They seem to think that they can win with only an "impeach the bastard" platform.

The only way their "new leader" wannabes can stand out is for each to try to out-commie their in-party rivals.

Will that **** put them back in power?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.
Builder

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:22 am
@layman,
Quote:
Will that **** put them back in power?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.

Just seeing no cohesion at all there.

I'm guessing the staffing turnover was pretty high there during the campaign.
layman

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:34 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Just seeing no cohesion at all there.

I'm guessing the staffing turnover was pretty high there during the campaign.

In California (and maybe other states) they're spending a shitload of cash trying to bolster one republican candidate over another (to water down the vote that each gets). You know they're disoriented and dysfunctional when they resort to that.

The tribes they try to rope in with their tribalistic identity politics are defecting in large numbers. They try to count on favorable demographics rather than appealing policies. They only care about power, not policy, and they figure they can somehow buy their way into power.

But that won't work so well when you have no influence to peddle to contributors, and a lot of their funding has dried up because no one has much faith in their ability to win. It wouldn't surprise me if they break up into two or three different parties, one extremely "progressive" and the other commie, and just let the old guard rot.
Builder

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:38 am
@layman,
Quote:
But that won't work so well when you have no influence to peddle to contributors, and a lot of their funding has dried up because no one has much faith in their ability to win.

If there was any kind of leadership happening, we'd likely hear about it. Seems like the org has been gutted and gilled.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 05:43 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
Except, I'm still here, fighting the good fight. And so, so many others are right there with me.

You showed up just a few weeks ago, and these "many others" can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Many people choose not to be extremely confrontational or waste their time trying to navigate through the bully pulpit. Civility and decorum has given way to nastiness and ruthless behavior. The pushback of the extremist view doesn't include put downs, slurs and hatred.

It's disheartening to see the divide in our country. It's not going to be solved when discussion is who can be the most outrageous first.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 05:44 am
Peter Fonda.

That’s where we seem to be as a nation.
firefly

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 05:51 am
@layman,
Quote:

But that won't work so well when you have no influence to peddle to contributors, and a lot of their funding has dried up because no one has much faith in their ability to win

Your fantasies about the Dems are so naïve, they betray a very unsophisticated level of political awareness on your part.

Maybe you should stop drenching yourself in tired Fox News/Faux News fantasies of the Democratic party's demise and pay some attention to the real news going on.

Quote:
Bloomberg to provide $80 million to help Democrats win House majority
By/ Blair Guild/ CBS News/ June 20, 2018,

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is expected to spend at least $80 million in the 2018 midterm elections supporting Democratic candidates as part of his larger goal of flipping 23 Republican-held seats in the House, to put Democrats back in power, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

Sources close to Bloomberg tell CBS News that they expect his funding could be even higher than $80 million by the end of the midterm spending season.

Bloomberg has been an outspoken voice for center-left politics, and his candidate funding, which the New York Times first reported, could serve Democrats well in the face of Republicans. There have been reports this past year that the DNC is deep in debt, while Politico reported Wednesday morning that the RNC is $47.1 million in the green.

It is not clear which races Bloomberg will choose to target.

The spending serves as a Democratic response to a consistent flow of Republican money into races, from both individuals and superPACs.

Howard Wolfson, who is overseeing the effort as an adviser to Bloomberg and former executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), confirmed the $80 million plan to the Times.
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bloomberg-to-provide-80-million-in-funds-to-democrats-in-midterms/

What was that you said--"A lot of their funding has dried up"
http://www.ourlighterside.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/micky-mouse-lol.gif
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:00 am
@Lash,
What do you mean by that?
Lash

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:07 am
@Olivier5,
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/politics/peter-fonda-baron-trump-secret-service/index.html

Aging hippie brother of Jane Fonda said some incredibly personalized, vicious stuff about Barron Trump.

The political-based hatred between people in the US seems to be at some unreal crescendo.
firefly

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:14 am
@Lash,
Quote:
The political-based hatred between people in the US seems to be at some unreal crescendo.

In Trump’s America, the Conversation Turns Ugly and Angry, Starting at the Top
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/trump-language-immigration.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:19 am
Really strange that after electing Donald Trump and his cabal of clowns that the quality of the national conversation has gone down.

I’m shocked for one. Shocked that anyone is surprised at this. We allowed the most crass and insulting candidate to win out of a field of over 20.

The blame goes to Trump for degrading the nation.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:19 am
Trump Retreats After Border Policy Outcry
Order Does Nothing to Address Plight of 2,300 Children

President Trump caved to political pressure and signed an executive order that ends his policy of splitting up families by indefinitely detaining parents and children at the border.
But there are still legal and practical obstacles to ending the practice, and the order does not address those who have already been separated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/trump-immigration-children-executive-order.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-ab-top-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 06:40 am
Quote:
Border Crossings Have Been Declining for Years, Despite Claims of a ‘Crisis of Illegal Immigration’

WHAT WAS SAID

“What the president reiterated again yesterday, and he has said every day from when he sought this office, is we have a crisis of illegal immigration.”

— Vice President Mike Pence, meeting with members of Congress on Wednesday.

“These smugglers know these rules and regulations better than the people that drew them. As a result, there’s been a 325 percent increase in minors, and a 435 percent increase in the smuggling or attempted smuggling of families and minors into our country.”

— President Trump, speaking to the National Federation of Independent Businesses on Tuesday.

“In the last three months we've seen illegal immigration on our southern border exceed 50,000 people each month. Multiples over each month last year.”

— Kirstjen Nielsen, the homeland security secretary, at a news conference on Monday.

This requires context.

The Trump administration, defending its “zero tolerance” immigration policy that has resulted in separating families, has repeatedly pointed to a “crisis of illegal immigration” at the border.

But government data shows that monthly crossings along the border with Mexico are dramatically lower than they were years ago.

The most commonly used metric to measure how many people are illegally crossing into the United States is the number of people who are arrested, taken into custody or otherwise “apprehended” at or near the country’s borders.

From the 1980s to the mid-2000s, the government reported annually apprehending around 1 million to 1.6 million foreigners who illegally entered the United States at the southwestern border. In 2000 alone, federal agents apprehended between 71,000 and 220,000 migrants each month.

By comparison, monthly border crossings so far this year have ranged from 20,000 to 40,000 people.

The number of people who have been either apprehended or turned away at the southwestern border also has decreased over the past decade.

Mr. Trump, Mr. Pence and Ms. Nielsen are right that there has been a significant increase in border crossings in the past few months when compared with the same period in 2017.

Last month, for example, Customs and Border Protection reported arresting or denying entry to 51,912 migrants at the southwestern border, compared with 19,940 in May 2017.

But federal agents arrested or stopped 55,442 people in May 2016, 40,681 in May 2015 and 68,804 in May 2014, according to Customs and Border Protection.

Similarly, apprehensions of unaccompanied children and families have surged this year from last spring’s border traffic. But the numbers are less dramatic when compared with before Mr. Trump took office.

Customs and Border Protection apprehended 6,400 unaccompanied children and 9,500 individuals traveling as families this May — up from 1,500 unaccompanied children and 1,600 family members in May 2017.

At the peak of the Central American migrant surge in 2014, Customs and Border Protection reported apprehending 10,600 children and 12,800 families who entered the United States at the southwestern border.

Source: Customs and Border Protection, White House

NYT

Since the way you count illegal crossings is by the number of arrest/or those stopped at the boarder, and since they started a Zero Tolerance policy, wouldn't it make sense they would see a surge from last year at this same time?
revelette1

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:00 am
@revelette1,
Was that dumb question or what? Just wondering for the down vote. I mean, the post wasn't provocative or anything.
izzythepush

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 07:14 am
@revelette1,
The down vote was because you're someone who's pissed off a load of far right posters. Pay no attention to it, see it as a badge of pride.
0 Replies