monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:09 am
@georgeob1,
Good point! Ever since the Classical period, philosophers have promoted fallacious argumentation as the best means to arrive at a sound conclusion.
Olivier5

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:10 am
@gungasnake,
Why would you assume they care less about poor US kids than you do?
blatham

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:16 am
Here's a must-read piece on the role of the Heritage Foundation in the staffing of Trump's administration NYT
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:27 am
The cost of housing separated children in the Texas tent facilities is about $775 per person per night.
When children were housed with their parents in detention, the cost was only about $300 per person per night.

So, apart from the humanitarian disgrace of this separation policy--a policy Trump could immediately end with a phone call--it is needlessly costing taxpayers millions..

maporsche

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:37 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Why would you assume they care less about poor US kids than you do?

It may very well be impossible to care less about poor US kids than he does.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:40 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Sounds like ole Steve is working hard to please his new employers at MSNBC.

I'm getting jealous of you again, George. This simple post quickly picked up 3 downvotes--more than I've been getting.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:43 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

--a policy Trump could immediately end with a phone call--

Really!? Just exactly what would that phone call say, how would it end the legally mandated "separation," and who would it be made to, praytell?

Are you thinking that if he called Chuck Schumer, Schumer would quit opposing the solution being offered, that it?
blatham

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:46 am
Quote:
Canada on Tuesday became just the second nation in the world to legalize recreational marijuana when the Senate passed the Cannabis Act by a 52-29 vote. The country’s marijuana marketplace is expected to open for business in September.
NYMag

Golly. I'll have to try some of that stuff.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Good point! Ever since the Classical period, philosophers have promoted fallacious argumentation as the best means to arrive at a sound conclusion.

It wasn't an argument at all. Neither of us knows his motives and they can't be deduced by any argument.

I was merely expressing a plausible suspicion … "Sounds like ….etc." Did it look like a syllogism to you?

Glitter says he's "furiously articulate". I wonder if that means he's above following the line of his new employer. Such things (gasp ! ) have happened.
Below viewing threshold (view)
firefly

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:00 am
@layman,
Trump's zero tolerance policy is the immediate cause of this rapidly escalating family separation crisis. That policy can be altered, by Trump, by a simple call to A.G. Sessions, or probably even by a Tweet.

Trump is intentionally holding refugee children hostage in order to get political leverage to fund the building of his wall. Why? So his image won't suffer if he can't get that wall built. Why should anyone, from either party, support this self-serving, cruel, inhumane, crap just to appease the Bully-In-Chief?
layman

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:02 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Trump's zero tolerance policy is the immediate cause of this rapidly escalating family separation crisis.

No, arresting people is not the "cause" of children being involuntarily separated from their arrested parent.

The parent's commission of a crime causes that.
coldjoint

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:04 am
Quote:
Liberal Immigration Lawyer Details How Obama HIMSELF Justified Family Separation

https://lidblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2cj279-1080x675.jpg
Sound familiar? A deterrent. Exactly what Trump is saying and doing.
https://lidblog.com/immigration-attorney-blames-detention-centers-obama/?=tanya
Blickers

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:06 am
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Sounds like ole Steve [Schmidt] is working hard to please his new employers at MSNBC.

They're not new. Schmidt has been working at MSNBC for over six years, and until the last year has shown no signs of moving away from the GOP.
Blickers

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:09 am
@georgeob1,

Incidentally, here's Steve Schmidt's answer to a question of asked of him on his birthday last September:

Question: What’s a fun fact that people in Washington might not know about you?

Schmidt: “I have an absolutely perfect infallible photographic memory when it comes to every Russian I’ve ever met in my life.”
0 Replies

firefly

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:10 am
@layman,
Trump seems about to acknowledge, in effect, that he does have unilateral control over this separation crisis. He has indicated that, in a little while, he will be "signing something...to keep families together."

An Executive Order appears to be in the works.
blatham

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:13 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It wasn't an argument at all.
I didn't say it was an argument. It was a fallacious device - ad hominem - commonly used in invalid argumentation.
Quote:
Neither of us knows his motives and they can't be deduced by any argument.
Given that's true for 100% of human speech and behavior, I can't comprehend how you put up with your wife and children as they may well wish to (regardless of what they say) take you out with a shotgun.
layman

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:16 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
"I shook President Obama’s hand...and asked him to reverse course & close the... “family detention centers” he opened in Dilley & Karnes City, Texas." He turned back, looked at me and “Are you an immigration lawyer?” [I answered] “Yes.”

He’d been told and believed we were basically the only ones who’d care, and even then, it would be a minority of us that wouldn’t extract from him a political cost.

[He said] “I’ll tell you what we can’t have. It’s these parents sending their kids here on a dangerous journey and putting their lives at risk.” The President tacitly admittedly that he was using detention of mothers and children as a deterrent.

Ya don't say.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:18 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I can't comprehend how you put up with your wife and children as they may well wish to (regardless of what they say) take you out with a shotgun.

More family dragged into a discussion from a progressive. Is that a round about way of wishing him dead? You have been known to do that.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 10:22 am
Winner of today's Now There's a Big ******* Surprise award
Quote:
Oklahoma’s Inhofe willing to give Pruitt a pass on corruption allegations
Benen
0 Replies