monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 11:55 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
]No, just a prayer rug, they all over the place,
Tapestrie is a "prayer rug", at least for Catholics like Macron.

So you've been to Amiens recently and noticed that? (It wasn't the fact four years ago - last time I've been there - nor any time.?

But since Jacques Chirac gave his definition of «vrai changement» ("real change") in Picardie, it may have changed, too.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 11:56 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
It's two to tango.

No, it is not. We do not want to dance. We are trying to make that clear.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 12:34 pm
Will be interesting to watch how it is talked about it but avoiding the actual subject.

Trump’s School Safety Commission Won’t Look at Guns, Betsy DeVos Says
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Betsy DeVos told a Senate committee on Tuesday that the federal commission on school safety set up this year after the Parkland, Fla., school massacre will not focus on the role guns play in school violence.

The comments, provided in testimony before the Senate subcommittee that oversees education spending, perplexed senators who questioned how the commission, led by Ms. DeVos and convened by President Trump, could avoid the subject when it was a military-style assault rifle that left 17 students and staff dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“That’s not part of the commission’s charge, per se,” Ms. DeVos said in response to a question from Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, about whether the commission would look at the role of firearms in the gun violence that has plagued the nation’s schools.

“So we’ll look at gun violence in schools, but not look at guns? An interesting concept,” Mr. Leahy said in response.
[...]

0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 12:54 pm
@coldjoint,
It's an expression. There's no actual dance involved.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Reagan used this idiom in the 80's.

Edit: in 1982, Reagan stated: "For ten years détente was based on words by them [the Russians] and not any words to back them up. And we need some action that they - it takes two to tango - that they want to tango also."

Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Good old Roney. I almost miss him now...
Walter Hinteler

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:12 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Not sure I ever saw a movie with him in it, come to think of it... Did i miss anything?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:33 pm
@Olivier5,
I saw "The Killers in England in the 60's (there called Ernest Hemingway's "The Killers") because we read it at school that year.
Not bad as far as I remember. His westerns were just ... well B-movies, something for the cinéma de gare.
Olivier5

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, that was his reputation, a B movie actor.
0 Replies

roger

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Quote:
A White House communications aide who drew criticism for reportedly joking about Senator John McCain's cancer has left her role, an official says.
It's horrible that liberal phony outrage was able to cost someone their job. We really should consider transporting all the liberals to Guantanamo where they will not be able to harm anyone but each other.

We are often in agreement. This is not one of those times.
hightor

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:03 pm
Paul Ryan Dismisses Trump’s Charges of a Spy in His Campaign

You all remember "Spygate", right? We were assured by right-wingers on this site that Trump had a real case here.

Which is pretty much why I've stopped posting much. People who I doubt ever had an original thought in their lives have been posting "demotivational" articles from sketchy sources ever since Trump took office. Susan Rice will be in jail soon. Obama ordered wiretaps on Trump. Seth Rich leaked inside info to WikiLeaks. The Nation proved that the Russians never hacked the DNC. And so on.

I'm more than content to watch patiently from the sidelines and let the chips fall where they may.
coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:18 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Paul Ryan Dismisses Trump’s Charges of a Spy in His Campaign

Clearly Ryan is a member of the uniparty. The establishment, or the swamp if you prefer. It means nothing except to Trump haters and those who claim to believe in the rule of law when it has been demonstrated, by them, time after time the laws mean nothing.
Sturgis

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:32 pm
@coldjoint,
If it means nothing, then, why are you so bent out of shape over it?
coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:39 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
why are you so bent out of shape over it?

How does my post show I am bent out of shape? I stated what I consider fact. Nothing bent here. You see a lot more than I have written.
Sturgis

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:47 pm
@coldjoint,
...and yet you thought it necessary to yammer of how it (Ryan's comments) meant nothing. If that were the case you'd have not needed to post.
coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
(Ryan's comments) meant nothing

I told you who they mattered to, re-read the post.
Sturgis

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:55 pm
@coldjoint,
I already read it. The comments clearly were not going to matter to your narrow focus group.

That is all.
coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 02:57 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
to your narrow focus group.

MY narrow focus? You trying to be funny or ironic?

Now, that is all.
0 Replies

jcboy

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 04:39 pm
Blanket tariffs never work out. I'm glad Canada is doing this. They are an alliance member of the U.S., not an opposing force. tRump is a clueless idiot!

I'm sorry if you live in the Midwest. Blame goes where it should, on top of the orange umpa lumpa with the bad hair.

Canada is slapping tariffs on $12.8 billion of US goods — here are the states that stand to lose the most

Quote:
Canada isn't taking President Donald Trump's decision to hit the country with steel and aluminum tariffs lying down.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on $12.8 billion worth of US goods in response to Trump's metals tariffs.

The list of goods set to get hit by the Canadian tariffs varies from industrial steel to sleeping bags. Trudeau said the tariffs were not designed to hurt the American people, but rather defend Canada's interests and send a message to the Trump administration.

Using US Census Bureau data on exports and the list of goods subject to the tariffs, Business Insider determined exactly which states will get hit hardest by the Canadian crackdown.

The biggest losers from the US-Canada trade fight are industrial states in the Midwest:

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAy79bG.img?h=400&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=950&y=213