monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
MMarciano

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 04:53 pm
@coldjoint,
Apparently you're not bright enough to realize he has you on ignore, could be why he hasn't responded to you in over three years Laughing
Real Music

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 07:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Trump sure is set on making himself look guilty in almost everything he says.

Trump is constantly acting like he is guilty.
Real Music

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 09:45 pm
June 6, 2018

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Speaker Paul D. Ryan contradicted President Trump’s assertions of a broad conspiracy by federal law enforcement on Wednesday, joining other lawmakers in saying that the F.B.I. did nothing wrong by using a confidential informant to contact members of the Trump campaign as it investigated its ties to Russia.

And he said that Mr. Trump should not try to pardon himself, despite the president’s assertion two days earlier that he has the power to take such a step.

“I don’t know the technical answer to that question, but I think obviously the answer is he shouldn’t,” Mr. Ryan told reporters. “And no one is above the law.”

Mr. Ryan’s warning was the latest indication that the president is beginning to face trouble on Capitol Hill, where members of his own party are showing small signs of resistance. From international trade and China to immigration and the conduct of his cabinet, serious dissent from at least some Republicans is beginning to boil over.

At the forefront is an effort by Senators Bob Corker of Tennessee and Patrick J. Toomey of Pennsylvania to try to attach legislation to a must-pass defense policy bill that would require Mr. Trump to petition Congress for approval to impose national security tariffs, like those the White House has imposed on steel and aluminum produced in Canada, Mexico and Europe.

More than a half-dozen Republican senators have signed on to the amendment, and a small group of Republicans decamped Wednesday to the White House to try to navigate tensions with a protectionist president who has drastically departed from his party’s traditional embrace of free markets.

“I think this is a very bad idea, Mr. President,” Mr. Toomey said on the Senate floor. “I think it is a very bad path to be going on, very bad policy.”

Some Republicans are just as furious about Mr. Trump’s efforts to lift sanctions on a Chinese telecommunications company, ZTE. Last month, the House passed a bill that would prevent the administration from easing restrictions on the company, and the Senate Banking Committee approved a similar amendment that would prevent the president from modifying penalties on Chinese telecom companies that had violated American law in the past year.

On immigration, almost two dozen House Republicans are demanding votes on legislation that would help young immigrants brought to the country illegally as children, but are balking at the president’s get-tough demands on other immigration matters. And Iowa’s senators, Charles E. Grassley and Joni Ernst, both Republicans, came out swinging this week against the Environmental Protection Agency administrator, Scott Pruitt, whom Ms. Ernst called “as swampy as you get.”

But for Republicans, no issue has consumed more oxygen than the Justice Department inquiry into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Mr. Trump has seized on the disclosure of the use of an informant to claim, without evidence, that federal law enforcement officials had improperly placed a “spy” in his campaign “for political purposes.” He demanded a Justice Department inquiry of the matter and named the matter “SPYGATE” in repeated posts on Twitter. Mr. Ryan became the highest-ranking Republican to throw cold water on that interpretation, which Democrats and former high-level law enforcement officials have claimed is part of an unrelenting effort to discredit the open investigation into Mr. Trump and his campaign. Mr. Ryan backed Representative Trey Gowdy, Republican of South Carolina, who led the House’s politically charged investigation into the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, but infuriated some Republican partisans by rebuffing Mr. Trump on “Spygate.”

“Chairman Gowdy’s initial assessment is accurate, but we have more digging to do,” Mr. Ryan told reporters at a news conference on Wednesday.

The comments appeared to be the latest sign that an uneasy truce between the party’s two most powerful figures might be fraying once more, and now that Mr. Ryan has announced he is not running for re-election. Despite a burst of Republican policy achievements — including a $1.5 trillion tax cut — the two men have more often than not appeared to embody two entirely independent Republican parties.

Mr. Trump has railed against free trade, immigration and Republican efforts to cut Social Security and Medicare, while veering toward the conspiratorial. Mr. Ryan, a Wisconsin conservative a generation younger, still speaks of trying to broaden the Republican Party’s appeal to minorities and has fought to move the president away from protectionist policies and racially divisive messaging.

And while Mr. Trump has denounced the Russia investigation, and pulled much of the party along with him, Mr. Ryan has repeatedly insisted that the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, be allowed to finish his work.

Mr. Gowdy and Mr. Ryan were among a small group of congressional leaders briefed on the informant late last month by top officials from the F.B.I., Justice Department and the office of the director of national intelligence. The unusual meeting came after Mr. Trump intervened on behalf of Representative Devin Nunes, Republican of California and the chairman of the Intelligence Committee, who was demanding information related to the informant.

Mr. Ryan has encouraged Mr. Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor and one of the House Republicans’ most experienced investigators, to help calm tensions between Mr. Nunes and the Justice Department. The two sides have repeatedly clashed as Mr. Nunes, a close ally of the president’s, has demanded greater and greater access to delicate case files.

Democrats emerged from the highly secretive briefing saying that they had seen “no evidence to support any allegation that the F.B.I. or any intelligence agency placed a ‘spy’ in the Trump campaign, or otherwise failed to follow appropriate procedures and protocols.” But Mr. Gowdy was the first Republican to break ranks a few days later, when he said on Fox News that the agency had acted properly.

“I think when the president finds out what happened, he is going to be not just fine, he is going to be glad that we have an F.B.I. that took seriously what they heard,” Mr. Gowdy said.

He added, “I am even more convinced that the F.B.I. did exactly what my fellow citizens would want them to do when they got the information they got, and that it has nothing to do with Donald Trump.”

People familiar with the matter have said that the informant was an American academic and veteran of Republican administrations who was to trying to glean information about what several campaign aides knew about the Russian efforts to hack into Democratic emails.

Senator Richard M. Burr, Republican of North Carolina and the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, also put his support behind Mr. Gowdy’s analysis on Wednesday, after Mr. Ryan’s remarks. Mr. Burr had been silent after participating in the confidential briefing on the matter in late May.

Mr. Trump’s and Mr. Nunes’s conservative allies, who have not been briefed on the matter by law enforcement or intelligence officials, have publicly disagreed with Mr. Gowdy, claiming that the F.B.I. and the Justice Department had essentially pulled wool over the eyes of the South Carolina Republican.

Mr. Nunes, for his part, appeared to dismiss the importance of Mr. Gowdy’s statements in an interview on Sunday.

“Mr. Gowdy loves the F.B.I. and the Department of Justice,” Mr. Nunes said.

Still, Mr. Nunes signaled Sunday that he would like to bring the episode to a close. Speaking on Fox News, he said that he expected the Justice Department to share additional information and documentation with him this week.

“Just provide us all the documents, everything we’re asking for and let us comb all the way through it, and we’ll issue a letter on Friday and we’ll be done with this,” Mr. Nunes said.

Mr. Ryan’s warning on a “self-pardon” reflected other Republican concerns. Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, cast the issue of Mr. Trump pardoning himself in similar terms on Tuesday.

“He obviously knows that would not be something that he would or should do,” Mr. McConnell said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/us/politics/ryan-trump-spygate-spy.html
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 09:56 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Nope. The Democrats are pushing this investigation simply because Trump doesn't agree with the Democrats' extremist idiology.
Nope. The investigation started because Trump foreign policy advisor George Papdapoulos got drunk in a London bar and bragged to an Australian diplomat there that the Trump campaign was getting info from Russia that they were using. The Australian diplomat notified the FBI, and that started the investigation.

Trump aide told Australian diplomat Russia had dirt on Clinton – report
The FBI reportedly launched its investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 US election after George Papadopoulos, then a foreign policy adviser to Donald Trump, told an Australian diplomat that Moscow had damaging information about Hillary Clinton.

https://i.imgur.com/MMiOCxw.jpg

According to a report published by the New York Times on Saturday, Papadopoulos made the revelation to Alexander Downer, the Australian high commissioner to the UK, “during a night of heavy drinking” at the Kensington Wine Rooms in London in May 2016.

Papadopoulos reportedly told Downer that Russian officials possessed thousands of emails that could harm Clinton’s candidacy.

Australia is part of the “Five Eyes” intelligence alliance, with the US, UK, Canada and New Zealand. When WikiLeaks began publishing hacked emails from Democratic officials two months later, Australian officials passed the information to their US counterparts, the Times report stated. The FBI then began its investigation.

A White House lawyer, Ty Cobb, declined to comment, saying in a statement that the administration was continuing to cooperate with the investigation now led by the special counsel Robert Mueller “to help complete their inquiry expeditiously”.

In October, Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about the nature of his communications with the Russians. He is said to have been cooperating since July with Mueller, who was appointed in May to oversee the federal inquiry into links between Trump and Russia.

The White House has sought to portray Papadopoulos as a low-level staffer whose contacts with the Russians were made independently. The Times report said court documents showed Papadopoulos repeatedly tried to coordinate a meeting between Trump and the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and notified senior campaign officials of his efforts.

The Times report comes as Republicans have escalated their attacks on the independence of Mueller’s investigation, zeroing in on the FBI’s use of a dossier regarding links between Trump and Russia compiled by a former British spy, Christopher Steele.

Source

So Trump can thank his own foreign policy advisor for spilling the beans to a high official of a country in a defense alliance with us and getting the investigation started. Funny thing is, when you consider Trump's appointments to foreign policy advisor roles, like Mike Flynn who used to work for Putin and talked to Russian officials about how he's getting the sanctions lifted, and Carter Page, whose best buddies turned out to be a Kremlin spy ring, Papadopoulos looks like the best of the bunch.

coldjoint

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 11:20 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Trump aide told Australian diplomat Russia had dirt on Clinton

After he had been told by an FBI plant. Papadopoulos was not even interviewed before the investigation started, they waited. Why?

What you have for evidence amounts to **** and shoved in it. And very old news.
glitterbag

Wed 6 Jun, 2018 11:35 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

Apparently you're not bright enough to realize he has you on ignore, could be why he hasn't responded to you in over three years Laughing

That's true, the only problem is a few of the members have responded to him and now he think he counts. None of us should feed that nutcase, it only emboldens his crazy pants bullshit (I'm guilty, sometimes I forget he/she is unbalanced.....and think it's possible to share ideas......it's not possible) (Take care of those children and varmints....and sometime will you tell me how your children are willing to try different foods? I was able to feed my kids all sorts of things from pablum to curry and they are still adventurous.......but my granddaughter (7) is so frigging picky I worry about her health,)
Blickers

Thu 7 Jun, 2018 12:18 am
@coldjoint,
Coldjoint:
Quote:
Papadopoulos was not even interviewed before the investigation started, they waited. Why?Papadopoulos was not even interviewed before the investigation started, they waited. Why?

Didn't you read the article? For somebody so critical of others you missed the whole gist.

The investigation started when the Australian government-which has a defense treaty with the US-informed the FBI that their diplomat was told by Papadopoulos in a London bar that the Trump campaign was using info from Russia. That's what started the investigation.

Given those circumstances it would have been impossible to interview Papadopoulos before the investigation started, wouldn't it?
izzythepush

Thu 7 Jun, 2018 01:11 am
@glitterbag,
I have never made my kids eat or even try anything, when my youngest was five we went on holiday to Mexico and he ate nothing but sausages for a fortnight. Now he is incredibly adventurous with his food, and will try anything.

My (wartime parents) used to force me to eat at the dinner table. Meals became a confrontation, something I hated, it didn't help that my mother was a lousy cook either. I did not want that with my kids. Take the pressure off, let them discover new foods in their own time, and they will.
glitterbag

Thu 7 Jun, 2018 02:09 am
@izzythepush,
My mother was a great cook, but every once in a while she would make Liver and Onions.......bleech, gag gag bleceh.....to this day I can't abide liver in anything, Not chicken livers wrapped in bacon, nada, zilch, oh my god take it away.
NSFW (view)