monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 09:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
While fights-to-the-death between lobsters are rare, they do exhibit a progressive sequence of display behaviors, which, if an opponent refuses to withdraw, can escalate into a full-blown attack where antennae, claws, legs, or even eyestalks can be ripped off. These fights have extremely interesting consequences for the combatants. Laboratory-staged fights between evenly sized juvenile lobsters have demonstrated that the winner of a fight is truly a winner and the loser is a true loser. If a previously-fought lobster is then placed into another staged fight, its behavior is dependent upon its status from the previous fight. In other words, previous losers lose or refuse to fight with a new opponent. In the case where losers are pitted against other losers, no displays or fights occur. Winners again win, unless they are pitted against another winner - - in that case, the fights escalate and the lobsters cause extensive damage to each other. Usually the dominant or subordinate status only lasts until the animal molts. Then, if a subordinate molts first, survives, and becomes larger than the dominant, it will often become the new dominant animal.

It is currently believed that these seemingly long-term changes in status and behavior are determined by the level of two hormones known as serotonin and octopamine. Winners have higher blood levels of serotonin, while losers have higher levels of octopamine. If a lobster who has previously lost a fight is injected with serotonin, it becomes extremely belligerent and will attack lobsters much larger than itself. Even after being severely damaged (having claws and legs ripped from their joints), these serotonin-injected lobsters will still continue to fight. Studies such as these imply that aggressive behavior may have a hormonal component, and the lobster is currently being used as a model to better understand human aggression.

http://www.lobsters.org/tlcbio/biology1.html

Well, we know modern lobsters are territorial, and we probably can assume they have been so for quite some time We also know that fossils, from over 100 million years ago, that look a whole lot like modern lobsters strongly suggest that they haven't changed much (I doubt anyone looked at what might be a lobster antenna and said "But it could be for wifi")

We have plenty of modern species that we believe haven't changed, physically, for a great, great many years: Crocodiles and sharks being just two.

Now a fossil can't definitively reveal the social behavior of the creature fossilized, and no one around today observed lobsters in the wild 150 million years ago, but the question is: Which is more plausable? That lobsters from 100 million years ago +, that very much resemble modern lobsters, displayed the same social behaviors that are obviously advantageous to modern lobsters, or that way back then, earth was a hippie's Garden of Eden, until somehow, the Koch Bros went back in time, fucked the whole thing up, and created a world where evolution favored socialy hierarchies and dominance agression?

Whatever and whenever those bastards did their foul deed it obviously prompted an incredibly radical change in species advantage because we see social hierarchy in the vast majority (if not all) of social species, and dominance aggression in a ton that are not. (Here's a clue on timing - it was long before apes walked on two feet)

Maybe the Bonobos with their reliance on copulation defeated the evil Kochs, but not so the rest of the natural world.

Even if you were to believe the Koch Bros fiction, at the very least, social hierarchies and dominance aggression have been a successful evolutionary adaption for 10 million years.

How can I say this? Because we are convinced that animal weaponry (particularly in mammals) is as much (if not more) for purposes of reproductive dominance as it is for defense.

Moose use their huge racks a hell of a lot more on each other than on bears, and the bears still get them.

I suppose we can quibble about the signifcance of 10 million, 50 million or 150 million years, but my point will remain essentially irrefutable: Social hierarchies, and dominance aggression have been great advantages to species for a very, very long time.

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 09:48 am
@blatham,
All of paleontology then is supposition. Would you have so scolded Dr. Leaky?
maporsche

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 09:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

but my point will remain essentially irrefutable: Social hierarchies, and dominance aggression have been great advantages to species for a very, very long time.

I'll agree with you on this point, but will point out (as others have) that because an innate "animal nature" exists in us and was beneficial to us in our distant past, it does not mean that it will help us get to the next step in our evolution (ideally, in my view, away from many of our animalistic tendencies).

Many millions of species have died out because their previously beneficial natures no longer suited them in their new environment.
Lash

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 09:56 am
I’m pretty sure Jackie (then) Kennedy wrangled an impressively lucrative deal to stay with her cheating husband through his presidency. I hope Melania has arranged a similar deal—if she, in fact, decides to stay.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:19 am
Oh wow, very funny annal joke, Finn... Do you have another one about peeing, by any chance?

Oh I forgot, that's Set's specialty, not yours. You're about the caca, not the pee-pee.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:24 am
@Olivier5,
The US president is finally coming to Britain, but he won’t be honoured with a state visit with an official banquet at Buckingham Palace or a carriage procession up the Mall.
Trump is expected to travel to the UK after attending the Nato summit in Brussels in mid-July.
Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:00 am
@blatham,
Yes, it's a very important issue. My point was just that it is an old and deeply rooted problem, and the current peak or "orgy" of corruption characterising the Trump administration is the result of decades of work by lobbyists to sap the US democracy. It's not going to go away with Trump either. And Clinton wasn't essentially different. She was part of the same system. A system where money speaks louder than votes.

That's why America can't solve its gun addiction.

That's why the 1 percenters are given tax break after tax break when the govt programs that the people support the most get defunded.

That's why the US can't be allowed to have a single payer or public option in their health insurance system. That would save the public too much money.

That's where all the climate change denial came from.

That's why "Washington can't work". It's not by chance. The US system of governance has been purposefuly broken.
maporsche

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:25 am
@Olivier5,
I'm curious as to what societies you think do it best and if you recognize that there are people who disagree with your (and my) worldview.

I think America likely has more protections in place for the minority viewpoints than many other countries (for example, how Wyoming gets 2 senators just like California despite having 66x fewer citizens).

I'll admit to not having much knowledge of other countries governments, this is just my uninformed opinion.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:28 am
@Region Philbis,
Glad you are pointing this out. Now we can remember the beautiful union of Bill and Killary. The ideal couple. Moral standouts, and wonderful example of true love, just not for each other.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:38 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Now if you could only get up to speed on climate change as well,

What speed? Fast and stupid? They have said NY would be underwater by now because all the polar ice would melt. If the earth is as old as they believe what makes you think any weather cycle can be predicted or changed?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:42 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
They have said NY would be underwater by now because all the polar ice would melt.
Who? Nostradamus?

coldjoint wrote:
weather cycle
Climate change is about climate, not about weather.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:42 am
https://constitution.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Dem-Pledge-600-LA.jpg
Just what we need.

https://constitution.com/whiners-take-all/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Who? Nostradamus?

No, Al Gore.
Quote:
In 2006, on NBC’s Today Show, former-Vice President Al Gore predicted that Manhattan would be flooded in “15 to 20 years.” He added, “In fact the World Trade Center Memorial site would be underwater.” Just 3 years ago, the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority predicted that within the next ten years, “Irene-like storms of the future would put a third of New York City streets under water and flood many of the tunnels leading into Manhattan in under an hour because of climate change[.]”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/17/global-warming-hoax-revealed-in-record-high-manhattan-real-estate-prices/

Quote:
the average course or condition of the weather

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/climate
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Climate change deniers have a lot that they wish to strap our descendent with while still trying to sound like they know of what they speak.
The Chesapeake Bay has recorded a "switched on" sea level change that will probably obliterate the many islands that remain in an accelearted rate over the next few decades. As far as NYC, didnt we just HAVE a 5000 yr return flood that almot ruined the elctrical grid and the subway?
id that not happen or must we sy "Oh wait for the next one so qe can be sure"??
Deniers are ded wrong but never in doubt.They know all the answers. Its the questions they have problems with.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:03 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Deniers are ded wrong but never in doubt.

That is why statistics are hidden or changed by NOAH? Not that I care because all of this bullshit is so carbon can be taxed. A globalist scheme to destroy the US and other Western countries by redistributing wealth.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:04 pm
@Olivier5,
The things that will get "defunded" will do it mostly by attrition . For example, the SS trust fund stops at a fixed amount and then Congress bitches about how its running out of money.
Nobody has yet fixed a easy problem like this. Oligarch rule and these neo Con douche bags think they speak from wisdom.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
As far as NYC, didnt we just HAVE a 5000 yr return flood that almot ruined the elctrical grid and the subway?

yup - Hurricane Sandy

coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
As far as NYC, didnt we just HAVE a 5000 yr return flood

Oh, you have records of the last one? Who lived in New York 5,000 years ago to record this, turkeys?
ehBeth

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
Assateague Island is nearly unrecognizable to me now.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
yup - Hurricane Sandy

Flooding is temporary during and after hurricanes. Nice try, no cigar.
0 Replies