monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:04 am
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
This pop-psychology, click-bait screeds are thinly veiled political propaganda. I'm surprised you posted this crap.
It was actually just thought as a response.

I'm not such a frequent reader of the Journal of Social and Political Psychology to be able to disqualify it nor do I know anything more about Professor Thomas Pettigrew than that he taught in Germany and The Netherlands years ago as well.
But you certainly might have strong reasons to call him a pop psychologist.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:10 am
@revelette1,
Are all bets off in a pre nup if the husband was unfaithful?? Is it considered a breach? Or do you think wording would include that the husband (or wife) has happy pants.??
blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:13 am
@farmerman,
Yes. The Paleo Diet. Other dudes' kids are high in valuable nutrients.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:13 am
I think Melania hates Plumps guts she visibly avoids public contact(maybe she does have class). He keeps revealing what a lying SOS he is and further, that his Intelligence isnt something we'd like to see passed along to a new generation. Somewhere the Plumps got the dumb genes and I dont think it was from Fred's side.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
What do we know about lobster social behavior 150 million years ago? How do we know it?
revelette1

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:18 am
@farmerman,
Considering the unequal status of the couple before their marriage, (I don't think she came from big money, haven't looked it up though)more than likely any pre-nuptial agreement would favor Trump.

I watched another video where she responded after the 60 minute interview between Cooper and Stormy Davis, and she didn't go out of her way to defend Trump. Just more or less asked for consideration for her young son and I agree with her on that. On the other hand, it is hard to not to refer to the time she was pregnant with her son when speaking of the Trump/Stormy affair.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:23 am
@blatham,
We know they have remained virtually unchanged for millions of years and we know what their social behavior is now.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure FM or one of our resident scientists will jump in.
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:24 am
@revelette1,
I guess she will then have to struggle by on 60 million nd 2 mil per yer. They say you need at least mil to live middle class in NYC.

Region Philbis

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:27 am

https://media4.giphy.com/media/AjruaCO0Yy4fu/giphy.gif
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:29 am
@Region Philbis,
I secreted this out of the McSweeney legal Box

Quote:
SECTION 8F OF DONALD AND MELANIA TRUMP’S PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT: HANDHOLDING
CAITLIN KUNKEL

Following the division of assets, custody of any future children, and payout of alimony in the event of a marital dissolution, Prospective Husband (Donald J. Trump) and Prospective Wife (Melania Knaus) have agreed to the following formal handholding schedule:

SCHEDULE OF HAND HOLDING BY YEAR
In years 1-3 of the marriage, Prospective Husband will be allowed ten (10) public hand holds per year for promotional and monetary purposes surrounding real estate, and one (1) private nighttime hand hold on each of those three birthdays.

In years 3-8 of the marriage, the number of public handholds decreases to seven (7) public handholds per year, four (4) of which must occur in the dining room at Mar-A-Lago in Florida. The other three (3) are reserved for promotional events surrounding any jewelry lines Prospective Wife may launch and/or joint exits from restaurants during times of tabloid scrutiny of the union.

In years 8 through the dissolution of the marriage, Prospective Wife will have complete and utter control over all handholding — there is no legally mandated amount. Outside handholding may be sought by Prospective Husband for self-soothing purposes, with no judgement from Prospective Wife.

CARVED OUT EXEMPTIONS
In the unlikely event of one member of the household achieving the Presidency of the United States, the marital handholding shall enter an accelerated phase with no prescribed limits. This period should be viewed as a necessary element of the couple’s patriotic duty, and Prospective Wife will be compensated accordingly.

In that extreme case, Prospective Wife will be paid the sum of $200,000 for each additional handhold in public, and $500,000 for each handhold in front of Heads of State. A bonus of $3,000,000 will be paid out for the extreme and borderline inhumane handholding that will be required during a Presidential Inauguration.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Should one or another of the named parties touch a glowing orb, the above handholding schedule is utterly and completely vacated for the remainder of Prospective Husband and Prospective Wife’s marriage.
Signed,
Donald J. Trump
Melania Knaus, neé Melanija Knavs
January 21, 2005

Donald Trump Legal Agreem
blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:30 am
This is a must read
Quote:
Mick Mulvaney’s confession highlights the corrosive influence of money in politics
WP

This is institutionalized corruption. It is corruption as a theory of governance.

Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I congratulate you for having some clue about evolution. Now if you could only get up to speed on climate change as well, that'd make you smarter than most Trumpists.
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
we have no idea Finn. We only make guesses based on your observation. And since we dont have any DNA that old, we cannot draw any good conclusions.
I mean if we see antennae on a fossil, we probably guess that they had AM radios
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:35 am
@farmerman,
I doubt she will, if you want my opinion. She seems to able to live her life with her son separate from her husband except on formal occasions. I doubt she will want to give up her designer clothes. I mean she might just dress better than the late Jacqueline Onassis
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:38 am
@blatham,
What else is new? The system has been in place forever. What's good for General Motors is good for America, they used to say way back... It's a proven fact that lobbyists have more influence on US policies that the electorate.
blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We know they have remained virtually unchanged for millions of years and we know what their social behavior is now.
That what I expected you were thinking. And you might well be right in supposing social behavior may be similar but there's no guarantee at all that the supposition is correct. We can determine changes in morphology and infer some other things about behavior (eg teeth/talons tell us something, coprolites as well, or how Jurassic critters handled eggs, etc) but that's it. Don't confuse your supposition for knowledge.
blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:47 am
@farmerman,
That's very funny.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:48 am
Quote:
The Supreme Court for the first time Wednesday considers a major initiative of the Trump administration, reviewing whether President Trump’s travel ban is a necessary step to protect the country from terrorism or an illegal and unconstitutional fulfillment of campaign promises to ban Muslim immigrants.

Lower courts have struck down each of the three iterations of the president’s proclamation, the first of which was issued just a week after he took office in January 2017. But the conservative-leaning Supreme Court may be Trump’s best hope, and it gave the administration a boost by allowing the ban to go into effect in December while considering the challenges to it.

The court will consider the third iteration of Trump’s travel ban, issued last fall, which barred various travelers from eight countries, six of them with Muslim majorities. They are Syria, Libya, Iran, Yemen, Chad, Somalia, North Korea and Venezuela. But restrictions on North Korea and Venezuela are not part of the challenge, and Chad was removed from the list earlier this month.

In requesting the court provide a final answer on the travel ban, Solicitor General Noel J. Francisco said the high court must reestablish the vast authority the president wields when the nation’s security is at stake.

“The courts below have overridden the President’s judgments on sensitive matters of national security and foreign relations, and severely restricted the ability of this and future Presidents to protect the nation,” Francisco wrote in his petition to the court.

The challengers are led by the state of Hawaii, who said its citizens and educational institutions have suffered because of the ban.

Its lawyer, former Obama administration acting solicitor general Neal K. Katyal, told the court that Congress gives the president great power in immigration decisions, but not as much as he claims.

If so, Katyal wrote, “it would effect a constitutionally suspect delegation of authority, tantamount to granting the President a line-item veto over the entire immigration code. This court’s precedents bar Congress from vesting such extravagant and unilateral authority in the President.”

The immigration statute is enough for the court to strike down the ban, he said. But the proclamation also discriminates against travelers because of their religion, which violates the Constitution, Katyal wrote.

“A litany of statements by the President and his administration . . . plainly announce the President’s aim of blocking Muslim entry,” the brief states. “No principle justifies shutting the court’s eyes to this wealth of evidence.”

The justices are reviewing a unanimous ruling from a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit in San Francisco. That panel said the third version of the travel ban suffered from the deficiencies of the first two — that Trump had again exceeded his lawful authority and that he had not made a legally sufficient finding that entry of those blocked would be “detrimental to the interests of the United States.”

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit struck down the ban on the constitutional question. The 9-to-4 decision took a deep dive into Trump’s statements and tweets since he became president and concluded the proclamation, like the first two, was motivated not by national security concerns but by antipathy toward Muslims.

However, Judge William B. Traxler Jr. switched sides, saying the administration’s work between the second travel ban and the third cured its problems for him.

The third version must be judged on the basis of the “context of the investigation and analysis that the agencies acting on the president’s behalf have completed, the consultation that has taken place between the president and his advisers, and the logical conclusions and rationale for the proclamation that are documented therein.”

Francisco told the court the third version was the result of a painstaking review process to determine which countries did not have procedures in place to screen out those who might intend to harm the United States.

The eight countries named in the current ban “do not share adequate information with the United States to assess the risks their nationals pose, or they present other heightened risk factors,” Francisco wrote. “Whereas prior orders of the President were designed to facilitate the review, the [current] Proclamation directly responds to the completed review and its specific findings of deficiencies in particular countries.”

WP
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 08:58 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
What else is new? The system has been in place forever. What's good for General Motors is good for America, they used to say way back... It's a proven fact that lobbyists have more influence on US policies that the electorate.
Wealth and power have a clear relationship in (at least most) human societies. What is of importance here is variability in the ways a society deals (or does not deal) with how that relationship plays out. Obviously, some societies are highly corrupt while others are much less so. This is not a battle I choose to ignore.