monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:37 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/immigration/2018/04/24/cfb41578-4816-11e8-8b5a-3b1697adcc2a_story.html

Quote:

Bates is the third judge to rule against Trump administration attempts to rescind DACA, which provides two-year, renewable work permits and deportation protections for about 690,000 “dreamers,” undocumented immigrants brought to this country as children.

In his decision, Bates said the decision to phase out the program starting in March “was arbitrary and capricious because the Department failed adequately to explain its conclusion that the program was unlawful.”

“Each day that the agency delays is a day that aliens who might otherwise be eligible for initial grants of DACA benefits are exposed to removal because of an unlawful agency action,” Bates wrote.

Quote:
the ruling by Bates, an appointee of President George W. Bush, is far more expansive: If the government does not come up with a better explanation within 90 days, he will rescind the government memo that terminated the program and require Homeland Security to enroll new applicants, as well. Thousands could be eligible to apply.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:45 pm
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/25/605661710/how-americas-white-power-movement-coalesced-after-the-vietnam-war

Quote:

In Aug. 2017, many Americans were shocked to see neo-Nazis and members of the so called alt-right demonstrating in Charlottesville, Va. But author Kathleen Belew says the roots of the rally were actually decades in the making.

Belew, who has spent more than 10 years studying America's White Power movement, traces the movement's rise to the end of the Vietnam War, and the feeling among some "white power" veterans that the country had betrayed them.

"To be clear, I'm not arguing that this is at all representative of Vietnam veterans — this is a tiny, tiny percentage of returning veterans," Belew says. "But it is a large and instrumental number of people within the White Power movement — and they play really important roles in changing the course of movement action."

In her new book, Bring the War Home, Belew argues that as disparate racist groups came together, the movement's goal shifted from one of "vigilante activism" to something more wide-reaching: "It's aimed at unseating the federal government. ... It's aimed at undermining infrastructure and currency to foment race war."

interesting/disturbing read or listen
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:52 pm
@coldjoint,
do you have any idea how return frequencies are even calculated??
do you know how we compute odds for hitting the lottery without anyone hitting the lottery?

math can be fun, try it and you may see, ...Or not

hen did the dinosaurs die??? it was 64 729 897 years ago(next Tuesday), but we just rounded it up to 65 million
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
interesting/disturbing read or listen

I guess it is time to shoot every white person and put the world out of its misery.

Relying on race baiters to demean the white race is no different than what you say whites are doing. A child could see it.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
do you have any idea how return frequencies are even calculated??

Do you?
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
yeh assateague is pretty much wide open to bigger boats with 3+ drafts . Used to be just flat bottoms and deadrisers could make it through. The horses are running out of room. The entire delmarva is losing about a normal football field EVERY HOUR . For the slower folks, we calculate areas from scaled satellite shots divided by the lapsed time between shots.
Brown pelicans are seen in mid New Jersey and Upper Delaware now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:59 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Do you?
I could teach you but Im afraid youd deny the methodology as being "elitist math"
maporsche

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
The ignorance of some, coupled with the extreme arrogance is a sight to behold.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I could teach you

I came to the realization years ago that you can teach me nothing, you thinking that you can is no surprise either.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:02 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

but my point will remain essentially irrefutable: Social hierarchies, and dominance aggression have been great advantages to species for a very, very long time.

I'll agree with you on this point, but will point out (as others have) that because an innate "animal nature" exists in us and was beneficial to us in our distant past, it does not mean that it will help us get to the next step in our evolution (ideally, in my view, away from many of our animalistic tendencies).

Many millions of species have died out because their previously beneficial natures no longer suited them in their new environment.

It has been beneficial to us much recently than our distant past. We're still here and thriving beyond any other species.

What makes you think there is "another step" in our evolution, or at least one so significant as our giving up our animalistic tendencies (whatever they are)?

Once evolution comes up with a successful design, absent a significant change in the environment of the species there's not a whole lot of major changes. (See previously referenced sharks, crocs and lobsters). The sort of thing you are talking about is not very likely, at all, to come about through evolution.

You can view animal behavior in one of three ways

1) The Disney/Unenlightened View which considers animals not only through an anthropomorphic prism, but one that contains major flaws. As a result we get on one hand, majestic lions who deserve to reign over their African subjects (including the ones they eat) and skulking, devious vultures and hyenas. On the other we got (and probably still get) the uninformed pompous buffoonery (pun intended as you will see) of a long line of highly regarded naturalists who felt themselves capable of pronouncing judgment on a species based either on either old wives tales or observation of a poor speciman delivered to their manor in Europe:

Quote:
"The degraded species of sloths are perhaps the only creatures to which nature has been unkind."
Comte de Buffon, Histoire Natrurelle - 1749

This because the Count observed his speciman on the ground and not in rain forest trees, and despite the fact that sloths are an ancient and incredibly successful species (the smaller ones at least)

De Buffon was The Man in his day - primarily because he discarded the even more idiotic claims of prior naturalists such as a hunted beaver will stop, gnaw off his testicles and toss them to the hunter to save his life. This came from a time when scientists believed beaver balls cured all sorts of maladies and beavers were not only smart enough to know what the hunter wanted, but dedicated enough to bite off their own testicles. It was also the time when beaver were wiped out of Europe.

2) Reverse Specieism - Animals are better than humans. They don't cheat, they don't kill unless they are hungry, and they don't kill heir own babies! In fact, within their own capabilities they do all three and more of the behaviors we find reprehensible in humans. People who have this view are just about entirely ignorant of animal behaviors.(I can give you examples if you like)

3) Rational - Animal behavior is neither good nor bad, beautiful nor ugly. It is what it is because it works very well over the very long haul. There is a form of beauty in this, but not the sort most people find. AND, humans are animals and one of the newest on the scene.

If someone thinks social hierarchies are bad for humanity I would love to know why other than "It's not nice."

ehBeth

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:03 pm
After #45 said Macron was perfect yesterday, he must be just loving Macron's comments to Congress re fake news and science today.

In other news, SHS said Pruitt's situation is under review in today's presser.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:03 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
The ignorance of some, coupled with the extreme arrogance is a sight to behold.

I agree, are you going to talk to Farmerman about that? Thanks. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What makes you think there is "another step" in our evolution, or at least one so significant as our giving up our animalistic tendencies (whatever they are)?

Natural evolution has happened since life came to be, there is nothing to suggest that it should stop now that humans are here. Humans will unnaturally alter evolution to whatever degree that it can, but natural evolution will continue for humans as well as animals.

It will happen on much longer time scales than human history has recorded and indeed it will be much different, technologically, than the eras that preceded it.

The evolution that I was mainly thinking of was cultural/societal evolution, which we will see happen (and indeed, have seen). As generations move on, society and ideas evolve. Defaulting to "it's human nature" may be true at time, but that doesn't make it acceptable to society in all cases.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:35 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Defaulting to "it's human nature" may be true at time, but that doesn't make it acceptable to society in all cases.

So you impose non-human nature on society? That will never work. It is laughable.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
being "elitist math"

Progressives say math is racist, too. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:42 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Defaulting to "it's human nature" may be true at time, but that doesn't make it acceptable to society in all cases.

So you impose non-human nature on society? That will never work. It is laughable.

...You are laughable.

I am a fan of our restriction of some of our more-animalistic tendencies for the betterment of society.

So are you, unless you think the younger, stronger, faster person down the street from you should be able to ambush you while you sleep and steal your home and all your possessions including your wife. I mean, that's what happens in the wild. That's what happened before our society became more civilized.
Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:51 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'm curious as to what societies you think do it best and if you recognize that there are people who disagree with your (and my) worldview.

I'm aware that some people disagree with me. Sometimes they have what I would admit to be good reasons to do so, and sometimes they don't. Is anybody different?

For obvious national reason my views aren't US-centric. You obviously understand that, given your reference to other nations. But I am not generally anti-US. I lived 10 yrs there, and was pretty impressed, overal. I liked a lot of it, if not all. The positiveness, the vibrancy. I hated the politics of the place before Obama, then liked it, then not so much again... It goes up and down along the way but on the long term, I see the US as declining, due to plutocracy. The power of lobbys overtaking the sovereign will of the people.

This political process is now almost complete. I'm not alone in making this diagnosis; the progress made by plutocracy in America is empirically well documented. However, decadence is like rust a slow process. Your resources are still immense at this stage. There's still much metal below the rust. The formal tools of democracy are still there for the people to use. You can bounce back anytime you want.

I wish you'd bounce back. I still have friends out there. Beside, China won't be any easier to deal with, as far as overloads go. That's how I interpret Macron's attempt at keeping a relation with Trump. Americans are the devil we know.

Quote:
I think America likely has more protections in place for the minority viewpoints than many other countries (for example, how Wyoming gets 2 senators just like California despite having 66x fewer citizens).

Oh THAT's what you call protecting minorities? I would have thought it means that the police shouldn't shoot black men first and think second... I'd have to reeducate myself. It means giving a minority the right to block the progress of the rest of society. 'o capito...
coldjoint

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:52 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I am a fan of our restriction of some of our more-animalistic tendencies for the betterment of society.

We have laws, don't we? What you advocate is emasculation and meaningless dogma from academia with little to no life experience outside of their bubble. We might as well be machines programmed by pussies.

And you can laugh all you wish, I do.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:52 pm
@maporsche,
Cultural evolution cannot be more different than biological evolution. The former is driven by human sentience, the latter by none or the divine (depending upon one's point of view)

Evolution will, of course, not stop because humans have arrived. The question is whether or not it will continue to mold humans (for as long as they are recognized as humans)

Now if all the Climate Change Worry-warts are correct and our environment is drastically and dangerously altered (and they are wrong that humans will as a result become extinct) it's quite possible that evolution will drive adaptations to the environment...but perhaps not in time.

I may not be phrasing this precisely correct but evolution is not a juggernaut that changes species whether or not they gain advantage. The random mechanism of the process only takes hold if it produces an advantage (or perhaps some minor alteration that doesn't present a disadvantage)

People of your political persuasion have been trying for centuries to foil evolution by finding human engineered ways to protect the disadvantaged (and I mean here the entire spectrum of this term). Whether or not this is good is debateable but you can't have it both ways.

If you are an idiot or extremely weak or sickly, modern medicine and politics will preserve you and your ability to proceate. Chances are you will procreate more than those on the opposite side of the ledger.

If "Idiocracy" was a prophetic film (and I am not saying it was) then eventually the human race will be brought low enough for evolution to actually drive alterations. Hardly something to hope for.

If, as I believe is the case, humanity is heading towards a melding with machines, we will have wrested our evolution from nature. Of course such a thing doesn't insure that a man/machine race will last forever and once it reverts to biological (if it does), patient evolution will be waiting.

Astronomical time scales are pointless for humans to reference. Anything can happen with time, but it would be foolish to predict something on that basis.

You still haven't told me why we should evolve beyond social hierarchies.

Olivier5

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 01:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
As for our president, his bromance with Trump is a hard sale locally...

https://www.courrierinternational.com/sites/ci_master/files/styles/image_original_765/public/assets/images/2404-chappatte_2018-04-24-7770.jpg