monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 12:34 pm
Today:
Trump wrote:
I told Admiral Jackson just a little while ago, I said, 'What do you need this for?'

Trump wrote:
What do you need it for?

Some weeks ago:
Quote:
“Admiral Jackson is highly trained and qualified and as a service member himself, he has seen firsthand the tremendous sacrifice our veterans make and has a deep appreciation for the debt our great country owes them,” Trump said.

A White House official said Trump warmed to Jackson and had been aware that Shulkin had sought to make Jackson the VA undersecretary last year.

“The president wants somebody who gives him the best possible care to go over and give that same care to the veterans. That’s how strongly he feels about getting them represented properly,” the official said.
reuters
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Although analyses and studies by psychologists and neuroscientists have provided many thought-provoking explanations for his enduring support, the accounts of different experts often vary greatly, sometimes overlapping and other times conflicting. However insightful these critiques may be, it is apparent that more research and examination is needed to hone in on the exact psychological and social factors underlying this peculiar human behavior.

Quote:
Although authoritarian personality is found among liberals...

Quote:
And because of the prevalence of authoritarians in the American electorate, among Democrats as well as Republicans...

Quote:
Social dominance orientation (SDO)—which is distinct but related to authoritarian personality syndrome—refers to people who have a preference for the societal hierarchy of groups, specifically with a structure in which the high-status groups have dominance over the low-status ones. Those with SDO are typically dominant, tough-minded, and driven by self-interest.

Guilty as charged, with the proviso that "self-interest" includes the interests of my family, friends and former employees. Considering that pecking orders have been with us for at least 150 million years, it must be one of evolution's finest schemes.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-praise-of-hierarchy-1515175338

Quote:
It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities

This pop-psychology, click-bait screeds are thinly veiled political propaganda. I'm surprised you posted this crap.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 03:09 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Unless some of the other presidents visited with him when he was in short pants, your comment is loony.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:10 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:49 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb and GUESS Islamic terror.

https://veritasdomain.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/h-armstrong-roberts-1960s-man-in-tree-sawing-off-the-branch-he-is-sitting-on.jpg

Incel, not Islam.
coldjoint

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Incel, not Islam.

They don't know that yet. And is saying it is Islamic could arise from the method of the murders, and do not tell me it is Islamophobic to say so.

The media and authorities will hide whatever they do not want the world to know, Canada now works that way.
ehBeth

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:25 pm
@coldjoint,
He's an Armenian Christian. A former colleague attends the same church.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:28 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
And is saying it is Islamic could arise from the method of the murders

every time someone runs people over it's got to do with Islam? I'll have to let my colleagues know about that fascinating theory of yours

coldjoint

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 06:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
every time someone runs people over it's got to do with Islam?

On purpose yes, except this time. It does not change the fact that Islam will never co-exist. To think any other way is fantasy.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 07:45 pm
Quote:
Toronto van attacker bald in arrest photos yesterday, has full head of hair in court sketches today

Quote:
Or are authorities once again not being honest with us?

Again, I’m not saying that this is necessarily a jihad attack. But as oddities such as these court sketches multiply, we have to wonder what the Canadian authorities are trying to hide. And what else are authorities hiding when jihad attacks occur?

Like I said. A huge disservice if true and not just to Canadians.
https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/04/toronto-van-attacker-bald-in-arrest-photos-yesterday-has-full-head-of-hair-in-court-sketch-today

blatham

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 08:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Guilty as charged, with the proviso that "self-interest" includes the interests of my family, friends and former employees. Considering that pecking orders have been with us for at least 150 million years, it must be one of evolution's finest schemes.

I''m not sure what evidence is kicking about that would demonstrate animal behaviors re social organization in the Jurassic. What are you referring to?

Rape has been around for a long while too. Also slavery, mass murder, subjugation of women, torture, cannibalism, etc. Are these among the finest schemes? That a genetic propensity for humans or other animals has existed for millions of years does not mean that propensity will serve the animals' well being or longevity in any future circumstance. Hominids have evolved over a few million years to survive in small groups (consider the lifeways of any primate). Neanderthals and early sapiens sapiens didn't have to worry they might pollute a lake so badly that all life in it would be eradicated. They didn't have to concern themselves with some self-made worldwide disaster such as global warming or nuclear holocaust. What we face now has no precedent. Counting on a simple and reactive genetic inheritance to get humans (and other life forms) out of trouble is no solution and no answer. It is merely a justification for injustice and a rejection of moral issues and questions.
blatham

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:01 pm
Populism of the swamp-draining sort.
Quote:
Trump said this tax break was for small businesses. It’s giving $17 billion to millionaires this year.
Those making $1 million or more will save more than $30 billion on the “pass-through” tax deduction by 2024.
Vox

Republicans really care about the little guy.
coldjoint

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:04 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Trump said this tax break was for small businesses.

Small businesses are thriving under Trump. Vox does not know that?
Quote:
Don't forget small businesses. We're booming under Trump tax cuts, too.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/21/small-businesses-booming-under-trump-tax-cuts-gary-rabine-column/340627002/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:17 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbj2usWVAAAY3o5.jpg:large

Someone's opinion.
glitterbag

Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:56 pm
@coldjoint,
You must not be familiar with Alinsky......it shows.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 07:44 am
@blatham,
Lobsters for one.
farmerman

Wed 25 Apr, 2018 07:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Considering that pecking orders have been with us for at least 150 million years, it must be one of evolution's finest schemes.

second only to the killing of progeny from another father.